Zeps impact on Robert Plants career vs other singers

McSeven

When I look at other singers such as Rod Stewart/Stevie Nicks/Phil Collens/Peter Gabriel/Neil Young/Ozzy/John Fogerty.

Why does it seem to me that their bands impact on thier solo career does not impact them as much as Zep does for Robert.

Robert can't go an interview without Zep being referenced in the context of Robert getting back together with the band. Even Paul McCartney/John Lennon never got that that much flack about the Beatles.

I feel that although Robert has had a great solo career and has changed and played music that fit the times he was in. The might Zep still casts a shadow. Does Robert Plant sell out. When he came to my home town of Winnipeg. He did not sell out. Def Leppard got more of a near Sell out.

I just don't see interviewers harping on Stevie/Ozzy/Rod. When it comes to their pervious bands.

So what do you think Zeps affect on Roberts solo career is?

Mc7

IMHO, two distinct factors come into play here. The first is the overwhelming demand for the return of Led Zeppelin. The second is Robert's adamant refusal to perform Led

Zeppelin material as a solo artist for nearly eight years after the end of the group.

Not to step on toes or anything, but of the other bands mentioned, some weren't quite as influential as Zep and their singers had more well-known solo careers. Robert has a great solo career, but he's not really as popular as RodStewart or Phil Collins. But, The Faces weren't as big as Zep, so Rod didn't have as much to over-shadow his solo career. So, it might be a combination of the Zep being bigger & his solo stuff not getting as popular

Now, The Beatles vs solo careers are a mystery to me...

When I look at other singers such as Rod Stewart/Stevie Nicks/Phil Collens/Peter Gabriel/Neil Young/Ozzy/John Fogerty.

Why does it seem to me that their bands impact on thier solo career does not impact them as much as Zep does for Robert.

Robert can't go an interview without Zep being referenced in the context of Robert getting back together with the band. Even Paul McCartney/John Lennon never got that that much flack about the Beatles.

I feel that although Robert has had a great solo career and has changed and played music that fit the times he was in. The might Zep still casts a shadow. Does Robert Plant sell out. When he came to my home town of Winnipeg. He did not sell out. Def Leppard got more of a near Sell out.

I just don't see interviewers harping on Stevie/Ozzy/Rod. When it comes to their pervious bands.

Mc7

Now it is Robert's fault that the journalists have to ask "the" question? :huh:

When you said, "McCartney/Lennon never got that much flack about the Beatles", you surprised me, and since John Lennon died much earlier...

And "sell out" doesn't really mean that much. Jonas Brothers sell out much faster than a lot of rock bands these days.

And what about Stevie/Ozzy/Rod, I don't know much about Stevie, but Ozzy played with Tony from time to time(though he sued Ozzy recently), Rod Stewart has never had a band as big as Zeppelin.

Mc7

....I would concur with most responses...impact of Led Zeppelin on future generations remain beyond words. The on-stage "cinematic" chemistry between Jimmy Page and Robert Plant remains one of the best in history of musical performances...audience expect to see Jimmy Page with Robert Plant together....

...I was absent on a very sad note (my only chance!!) to see the Winnipeg Show, glad you got to see it though...

I think you have to factor in the very sudden and unexpected way Zeppelin ended, too, which doesn't apply to all those other bands and singers. There was and still is a sense of unfinished business regarding Zeppelin that comes out in virtually every interview Robert does, including when he's receiving his CBE. I think he's been more than gracious about that whole subject, personally, given how clear he's made it that he doesn't want to go there.

I think you have to factor in the very sudden and unexpected way Zeppelin ended, too, which doesn't apply to all those other bands and singers. There was and still is a sense of unfinished business regarding Zeppelin that comes out in virtually every interview Robert does, including when he's receiving his CBE. I think he's been more than gracious about that whole subject, personally, given how clear he's made it that he doesn't want to go there.

.Noted

Well, of course I didn't mean you PERSONALLY have to factor that in, PP, but you know what I mean! :D

...Aqua, your observations and analysis are always highly respected by me and all here :) :) ....God, My sad sad story about Robert, I guess I have to travel a bit...More and More determined I am now...it will happen my lifetime, I promise.... :)

I'm sure you'll get a chance to see him before too long, keep optimistic!

Hi everyone, this is a really nice forum. Sorry if i can't make myself clear, it's just that English isn't my mothertounge. This is my very first post and there's no need to say that Led is my favourite band which has marked my life in so many ways. Never been to a concert, I'm just 18. Never seen any member of the band. But still feel so close to it that it seems that every song was written for me. Don't wanna sound silly but it's just the way it is.

Hope I can participate in this forum and get to know you more and the band too.

About Robert's solo career, it's not so wellknown here in Argentina. Guess that every member were part of the band's soul and it's just hard for people to notice Robert's talent being all by himself.

Hi everyone, this is a really nice forum. Sorry if i can't make myself clear, it's just that English isn't my mothertounge. This is my very first post and there's no need to say that Led is my favourite band which has marked my life in so many ways. Never been to a concert, I'm just 18. Never seen any member of the band. But still feel so close to it that it seems that every song was written for me. Don't wanna sound silly but it's just the way it is.

Hope I can participate in this forum and get to know you more and the band too.

About Robert's solo career, it's not so wellknown here in Argentina. Guess that every member were part of the band's soul and it's just hard for people to notice Robert's talent being all by himself.

Hi Thamar and welcome :wave: Your English is fine by the way :) I don't think Robert's ever played in Argentina which is a shame but hopefully at some point you will get to see him live - fantastic performer to say the least.

Hi Thamar and welcome :wave: Your English is fine by the way :) I don't think Robert's ever played in Argentina which is a shame but hopefully at some point you will get to see him live - fantastic performer to say the least.

I'm not sure if Robert played solo in Argentina, but he was there with Jimmy and together they played in Buenos Aires, back in 1996, I guess. :) Btw, Jimmy met Jimena in Buenos Aires. :)

Edited to add: Robert played solo in Buenos Aires, in 1994

Hi Thamar, bienvenido! :beer:

I'm not sure if Robert played solo in Argentina, but he was there with Jimmy and together they played in Buenos Aires, back in 1996, I guess. :) Btw, Jimmy met Jimena in Buenos Aires. :)

Yes, you are right. They came in 1996 but back then I was 6 years old and didn't have a clue about Led xD. Didn't know about the last part, though!

By the way, I'm a girl so it's 'bienvenida' :D thanks all the same! :)

Yes, you are right. They came in 1996 but back then I was 6 years old and didn't have a clue about Led xD. Didn't know about the last part, though!

By the way, I'm a girl so it's 'bienvenida' :D thanks all the same! :)

Mucho gusto encantado Thamar! Or would it be encantada?? :unsure::lol:

Un idioma nunca es suficiente!

Mi aerodeslizador está lleno de anguilas ! (Hágale tienen gusto Monty Python?) :D

Lo siento, mi español es terrible. Your English is much better! ;)

Mc7

It's a different story each time, isn't it? Peter Gabriel left Genesis because he wanted to explore something different. and I believe there was some tension between him and Tony. Gabriel did fine on his own, and so did the band. In that kind of situation, Gabriel just had the space to develop his own identity. There has been quite some pressure for the Gabriel lineup to reunite, but I think most people really see that as just a question of maybe one tour, revisiting these old songs, because everybody knows they have all moved on quite successfully.

Much later Phil made a couple of solo albums full of boring, cheesy pop songs, but they were HUGELY successful. So the turn of events guaranteed him a profile of his own - a bit unfortunate in a way, if you ask me, because he's a drummer first, and really should be known for that, but what can you say? Anyway he's free to do whatever he wants to basically.

Neil Young has had an independent profile since way back, as somebody who just does what moves him at the time. Ozzy was kicked out of Sabbath because he had become completely unreliable at that point, but then he enjoyed a lot of success with his own band. Rod Stewart's fame did not depend on entirely The Faces. And so on - no two cases are exactly alike.

As Aqua said it was a different situation with Led Zeppelin, because there was a very strong feeling of unfinished business about it all, plus the band was huge, and Robert had his first taste of success with them, which means it has ALWAYS been a real struggle for him to maintain an independent profile.

I meant to say something about The Beatles, but forgot. :slapface: By the end of 1980, of course, it was already too late to reunite the band, but as far as I can remember the pressure to do so wasn't really such a big factor in the 1970's - although I do remember speculation about a possible reunion surfaced every now and then. I believe there were some offers. But when they quit in 1970, everybody knew there were serious reasons, and by that time a lot of other bands had come into existence that were widely seen as being really at the forefront of things, one of them being Led Zeppelin. And then Lennon, McCartney and Harrison all enjoyed success on their own, if typically in different ways.

Cool - thanks for that - I knew Robert played in Rio both solo and with Jimmy but I wasn't sure about elsewhere in South America :D

As far as Stevie Nicks is concerned, she doesn't try to distance herself from what she was in the past. She still dresses like she did in her early days of Fleetwood Mac and she has no problems with doing "Rhiannon" and she still plays with Fleetwood Mac.

I remember reading something, a long time ago, where Robert Plant was laughing at some of his own mannerisms, such as shaking his hair back, when he was with Led Zeppelin.

I must give Stevie Nicks credit, because many female rock stars seem to feel as if they have to somehow appear more grown up when they get older, so their music and career declined because of this. Stevie hasn't done this.

:goodpost:

Thank You!!! Aquamarine, for hitting the nail right on the head!

They can't really do a reunion of Led Zeppelin as much as every one (including me) would like.

I did like the "UnLedded" thing a whole lot!!! It was fitting to both Page and Plant.

The next best thing, they have done with Jason more than once now.

I do believe that the Beatles x-member's where hounded a lot for a reunion before John was murdered (still sad to this day), but both John and Paul had big hit's after the brake-up of there group's. As stated by some one eles (sorry don't remember who right now) Rod's pre solo band was not very big at all, as was Stevie Nick's .... Who was she singing with before Fleetwood Mac? I read that she was Lindsy Buckingham's girlfriend when they formed the group.

I can even remember the rumor's from the 1980's about Black Sabbath coming back after Randy was killed in the airplane that crashed into the house (still don't get that one ether), Ozzy always said, "he still hasn't made his Sargent Pepper album yet!" They did do some reunion's, yes?

Oh well, we'll just see what happens.

Edit : Sorry, I get what your talking about with Steve Nick's :slapface: and yes she did better with her solo's than with the Mac, I do like Fleetwood Mac but I just think that she did better on her own.

Archived