Need some advice on some shows...

Strider

Okay, the swap meet is coming up and I was hoping to get some info.

First, regarding the Seatle June 19, 1972 show, there seems to be a consensus

that EVSD's "Dancing Again" is the best quality available, but I saw a scan of the

art work and noticed that "Dancing Days" is only listed as the encore. Didn't they

play Dancing Days twice at this show? If so, does the EVSD not have both or is it

just a typo?

Secondly, though I have long had the original vinyl boot of "Live on Blueberry Hill",

I have never gotten this show on cd. I recently heard that there are NINE...9!!!...different

sources for this September 4, 1970 show.

So which of the nine sources is the best? Is any one source complete? If anyone can

tell me which "Live on Blueberry Hill" is the best, meaning the best sound quality and most

complete version available on cd, that'd be great.

Anyway, 6.19.72 and 9.4.70 are my first priorities...but depending on how much money I

spend on other stuff(I'm looking for some Dylan, Wilco, Radiohead and Velvet Underground stuff, too), I might look for a third Zeppelin show.

In that case, if I had to choose between the St. Louis 1975 or the Houston 1977, which one should I get?

Oh, and Scorpio's 4-disc set called "Fresh Garbage"...is that the best version of those 1969 San Francisco shows?

Thanks for your help.

Okay, the swap meet is coming up and I was hoping to get some info.

First, regarding the Seatle June 19, 1972 show, there seems to be a consensus

that EVSD's "Dancing Again" is the best quality available, but I saw a scan of the

art work and noticed that "Dancing Days" is only listed as the encore. Didn't they

play Dancing Days twice at this show? If so, does the EVSD not have both or is it

just a typo?

Secondly, though I have long had the original vinyl boot of "Live on Blueberry Hill",

I have never gotten this show on cd. I recently heard that there are NINE...9!!!...different

sources for this September 4, 1970 show.

So which of the nine sources is the best? Is any one source complete? If anyone can

tell me which "Live on Blueberry Hill" is the best, meaning the best sound quality and most

complete version available on cd, that'd be great.

Anyway, 6.19.72 and 9.4.70 are my first priorities...but depending on how much money I

spend on other stuff(I'm looking for some Dylan, Wilco, Radiohead and Velvet Underground stuff, too), I might look for a third Zeppelin show.

In that case, if I had to choose between the St. Louis 1975 or the Houston 1977, which one should I get?

Thanks for your help.

The Empress Valley boot is definitely the way to go for the Seattle 6-19-1972 show. I never noticed it before, but the artwork is indeed incorrect, and is missing the extra Dancing Days in the text. But rest assured that the song is on that release in the correct spots.

As for Live on Blueberry Hill, I believe that there are actually only 5 or 6 sources out there. I think that some of the sources have been mis-counted. The site Bootledz.com is a great reference for finding out which one is which. I think that the best available and most complete version is the Winston Remasters Great Love Affair version. That one and the 4cd Empress Valley release are the best sounding and most complete versions. They're all mixes of a bunch of the sources, since none of the sources are individually complete on their own.

Between St Louis 1975 and Houston 1977 I'd choose St Louis 1975.

Thanx for the recommendations...yeah, it is the SBD St Louis that I am

talking about.

As for getting stuff for free over the internet, well, if someone wants to do trades

with me, fine...but otherwise I have no way of downloading stuff as I don't have a

cd burner, nor do I use i-tunes, i-pod, or any other "i" out there.

Besides, I've been collecting boots since I was a kid...it's in my blood, just like

going to actual record stores to get my music instead of buying off of itunes or

whatever it is kids do today. I like the packaging(admittedly sometimes goofy)

that comes with the vinyl and/or cd boots. I like the fact that there is so much

Zeppelin, Dylan, Beatles, and Pink Floyd stuff that each band gets its own table,

and you just stand and stare at all the goodies, trying to figure out how many you

can afford to get that day, and so you turn to the guy(invariably a guy, there are

very few females I see at these things) next to you and ask if he's heard this one or

that one and pop one in and listen to see what the sound is like.

It's the whole communal aspect of it...the same vibe I enjoy from going to record

stores, book stores, etc and why I will never shop on the internet; it's so cold and

impersonal and it is putting so many mom & pop stores out of business.

Yeah, the internet can be a font of information, but when it comes time to buying

something I prefer to be able to hold in my hands the object I am purchasing before

handing over my cash.

I hear ya Strider! :D Forget about Ipods and all that. I actually enjoy the physical feeling of a record or CD in my hands. Not to mention actually being able to see the album cover without having to put strain on the eyes. Man, I wish I knew of some swap meets close to where I live. Sounds like a blast. B)B)

Strider,

You won't regret picking up EVSD's Dancing Again - it's a corker.

If you're looking to pick up several of the Blueberry Hill sources in one place, then I can recommend EVSD's 4CD edition or 9CD box. Tarantura 2000 put out their 9CD box around the same time as EVSD, and I recall T2000's version garnered all the praise for some reason. Never did understand that, as it doesn't even contain the best source, FFS!

It's perhaps an unpopular view on here, but I agree with you about swap meets & getting your hands on the physical releases. Downloading just doesn't hold the same interest for me, even though a lot of the fan releases (Winston, Presence, DADGAD, etc, etc) are very, very good indeed.

Archived