JOHN PAUL JONES New Project

The Pagemeister

i've been thinking the same thing .... just like he and jpj did with the foos. tho i'd want more than 2 songs ....... :rolleyes: but, wouldn't it be great! tom, i dare say if it is going to happen, it will be in the uk, not in our neck of the woods, ie end of the world .... :(

Yup, nothing like that ever happens over here in NZ. But yes it would be awesome, imagine a Zep + Queens + Foos medley with Jimmy AND Josh on guitar. Now that would be sweet. :D

Them Crooked Vultures

Stubb's Bar-B-Q (Austin City Limits Taping)

Austin, Texas

October 1st 2009

Austin360.com

Live Review: Them Crooked Vultures ACL Taping

By Joe Gross | Thursday, October 1, 2009, 09:47 PM

You have to hand it to Dave Grohl. His post-Nirvana career has turned into one long game of doing whatever cool musical thing pops into his head.

He leads, sings, plays guitar and song-writes for his full-time band, Foo Fighters, which is nearing the 15 year mark. He's guest drummed on full-albums by bands he likes (Queens of the Stone Age, Killing Joke) and played fantasty heavy metal camp on the Dave + a-whole lot-of-extreme- music-dudes album Probot. Now he's playing in a Cream-esque "supergroup" called Them Crooked Vultures with Queens guitarist Josh Homme and Led Zeppelin bassist John Paul Jones.

Jones is an interesting case - he's the one member of Led Zeppelin who didn't make questionable career moves post-Zep by, for examples, dying tragically (John Bonham), playing in the Firm (Jimmy Page) or naming an album "Now & Zen" (Robert Plant).

Jones became a producer, making records with interesting bands (Butthole Surfers, Diamanda Galas) and generally keeping a comparatively lowish profile.

So seeing these three guys play together, two of them doing things in public they don't do much anymore (Grohl drumming, Jones playing bass) was thrilling apart from the music they made. It also lent a buit of weight to the taping itself, the first time an unsigned band has recorded an Austin City Limits set, which they did Wednesday night. It was certainly the first time a band was playing its ninth-ever gig for the program.

Oh, the songs? Well, they sounded like the sum of their parts - essentially Queens of the Stone Age style riffs blended with a large helping of everything loud Led Zeppelin did well - blues here, art-rock there, rolling thunder everywhere.

Notably, they don't sound like more than the sum of their parts - featuring Queens bassist Alain Johannes on second guitar, TCV still feels very much like a project band, or at least a band who are still feeling out their strengths and weaknesses of their songs. The hour-long set's opener, "Elephants," I believe, rolodexed the band's skill set -Grohl's Bonhamy stomp mixed with punk speed, Jone's hard-swinging, yet almost casual bass and Homme's ovoid riffs and the bits of prog rock Zep loved the most (i.e. songs with lots of parts and movements).

"Mind Eraser, No Chaser" overcame its terrible title with lots of wah-wah. Jones hit the synths and Grohl found a nasty double-bass drum run for "Caligulove." "Scumbag Blues" was all swing and drive, while "Daffodils" seemed to cut the "Immigrant Song" riff, only to loop into the sort of queasy ovoid shape Homme is so good at. ("Nobody Loves Me and Neither Do I" similarly repeated a dirty Zep-style buzz while Jones played a massive, lap-slide-looking thing that produced some vibrant drone.) And I may be the only person for whom "New Fang" recalled Aerosmith's Ragdoll," but, well here we are.

The closer, "Warsaw," started with a chunky, brick-laying riff and ended with the sort of faux-jazzy, goofing-solos coda you just don't see anymore. No wonder the word Homme kept using the word "classic" to describe the set. We're not likely to see TCV songs replace Led Zeppelin on classic rock radio any time soon, but those two crazy kids and the guy who looked like a kind uncle sure seemed to have fun trying.

I loved the interview, Sam. Thank you. smile.gif

I am going to see them on Tuesday, October 6th in Columbus. I am getting really excited!

The venue is general admission, standing room. I am going with my youngest son. His goal (and mine) is to stand in front of JPJ. I don't know if we can get there early enough to get to the front of the stage, as my son has classes and I have to work on Tuesday, although I am taking off early. My son's friends are going too, and maybe they can save us a spot by JPJ, just hoping.

Sam, thanks so much for posting this interview here and thanks again for alerting us here on ledzeppelin.com about the contest for TCV ACL taping tickets.

Live Review: Them Crooked Vultures ACL Taping

By Joe Gross | Thursday, October 1, 2009, 09:47 PM

Steve, thanks for sharing this review. It's an interesting review to read but, for me, I don't think it adequately captures the excitement of what it was like for fans to actually be there.

Through sheer luck, my husband and I won tickets to the ACL taping through the contest that Sam advertised here. I have already written a long, stream-of-consciousness synopsis of that night and shared it with a few close friends. I don't want to re-post the entire message but I will post of couple of brief items. After the show, my husband asked one of the crew if he could have the setlist from the stage for me so, if anyone is interested, I can scan and PM that along with a copy of the little program and a bit more about that night. Because the show was being taped for TV, there were several restrictions, including no photos/no cameras/no cellphones.

The music was fantastic! I thought the songs and the way that they were performed was much more complex and interesting than the little bits I've heard on youtube. It was fascinating to watch JPJ and Grohl interact with each other…looking one another in the eyes as they played perfectly together, JPJ leaning over Grohl's drumkit, the two of them locking eyes and exchanging notes, etc. Grohl doesn't just thrash hard all the time – he also plays softer and with more subtlety when the songs required it. I think he is an amazing drummer and every musician in the band was great in his own way. I am not familiar with Josh Homme's or Alain Johannes's previous work but I could hear the influence of Zep and Nirvana, as well as the Foo Fighters' sound in TCV music so I'm sure that the music of these two musicians was influential in TCV sound too. My favorite song was the last one, Warsaw. It was beautiful to begin with and then it led into a jazz-style improv but with elements of the blues and rock that justwent on and on. Musically, that song and performance was the highlight of the show.

Everyone we talked to who worked at the studio told us how nice all of the TCV members were to work with. One of the guys next to us said that Jonesy is a true legend yet he doesn't appear arrogant and he doesn't have a "rock star attitude". We were right behind JPJ's organ and to his right and I can tell you that, yes, despite being a legend, he does make eye contact with and acknowledges fans who smile at him! ;)

JPJ played all sorts of instruments so his tech (I don't know his proper title) came out and back quite a few times –we were close enough to see how JPJ always thanked him, smiled at him, etc. In every interaction we observed, JPJ seemed to treat this man with what appeared to be so much respect. His tech is a tallish, thin man with long gray hair. I am horrible at recognizing people: does anyone know if this is the same man who worked with JPJ during the LZ years?

In the end, it was a wonderful night – my husband and I had so much fun being there together, it was great to see JPJ again, and the music was fantastic!

Here's a link to an article on Dave Grohl's 40th birthday party held in January 2009. This is the same event Dave mentions during his soundcheck interview where he says he seated JPJ next to Josh Homme:

http://www.rollingstone.com/blogs/smokingsection/2009/02/did-you-know-that-dave-grohl-i.php

Austinist.com

October 2nd 2009

Loudest Taping Ever: Them Crooked Vultures Rock Austin City Limits

There was a definite buzz in the air. And the excitement was palpable. You don't get too many opportunities to witness legends from bands like The Beatles, The Doors, or in this case Led Zeppelin, live in concert and it wasn't surprising that the eager crowd included a good chunk of our city's media personnel. Plus there were a handful of local luminaries in attendance -- Spoon's Jim Eno sat directly behind us while Lance Armstrong, in the section to our left, seemed to enjoy himself throughout. But the star power tonight was undoubtedly on stage. John Paul Jones -- an essential ingredient of one of the biggest rock 'n' roll acts of all time, a living legend, and of course, an amazing musician -- was the main draw at last night's Austin City Limits taping but the informed audience knew that he was just one component of this special new band called Them Crooked Vultures. David Grohl and Josh Homme, who had both emerged from their vehicle to loud cheers outside earlier in the evening, received an even louder ovation on taking the stage and for good reason. Grohl continues to take his career to lofty heights with Foo Fighters; of course his sizable contributions to the history of rock began with that one band called Nirvana. Homme has proved his mettle in the rock circuit via numerous well respected projects such as Screaming Trees, Kyuss, and Queens Of The Stone Age.

TCV started with the blistering "Elephants" and Grohl immediately brought back memories of those Nirvana days, his hair flailing around uncontrollably as he pounded away relentlessly, hammering each instrument in his drum kit like he meant it. Homme and former QOTSA guitarist Alain Johannes set the tone early with some huge riffs and it was heartening to see Jones keeping up with his younger counterparts as TCV tore through one bludgeoning rock song after another. Homme's vocal style, the shifting tempos, and the squawking guitars all played a part in evoking QOTSA -- no disrespect at all to the other members from that band, but this was QOTSA+. Jones showcased his skills on a variety of bass guitars, including a slightly mysterious slide bass. He took time to purge the haze of psychedelia produced during "Daffodils" with a soft piano coda and chimed in on the organ to embellish "Caligulove" which also gave us a taste of Homme's falsetto. The scorching jam session that concluded the last song "Warsaw" was an impressive and appropriate finale to the set, which lasted just about an hour. Thoroughly satisfied, we left hoping that an album, or even a proper single, arrives at our doorstep sooner than later.

Them Crooked Vultures

Austin City Limits Festival - Xbox 360 Stage

Zilker Park in Austin, TX

www.RollingStone.com

Them Crooked Vultures Jolt Austin City Limits, Plus Phoenix, Avett Brothers Rock Day One

10/3/09, 10:56 am EST

20091002001BrianBirzerRollingStone.jpg

Photo Credit: Brian Birzer

The Austin City Limits Festival, held in Austin's Zilker Park and currently in its seventh year, boasts a bill that roams the stylistic spectrum, but its first day proved a fine opportunity to get a good, long look at the changing face of country.

Cool breezes won out against the blazing sun on Friday, which was the perfect complement to the afternoon's more tranquil music, like fiddler Sara Watkins, late of Nickel Creek, who played an early afternoon set as long on charm and good manners as it was on winsome, airy country. She sounded positively bereft singing "I didn't lie, but I withheld the truth," on the quietly aching "Same Mistakes." This wasn't music for singing along it was music for sighing along.

If Watkins was reserved and traditional, the Avett Brothers were a thrilling study in contrasts, pitting spare and simple instrumentation acoustic guitar, banjo against brothers Scott and Seth's hoarse, violent hollering. Their aggression wasn't just vocal: the band pogo'd like young punks during "Paranoia in Bb Major" while "Salina" built to a panicky conclusion. If Scott is the sturdy frontman, Seth is the jack-of-all-trades. He moved effortlessly from guitar to piano to drums, and attacked his vocals on "Distraction #74″ with an actor's intensity, miming out the lyrics with his hands.

Oregon's Blitzen Trapper mostly tended toward the traditional. Their oaky folk songs were as loaded with literary allusions as they were musical accoutrements: harmonica, tambourine and melodica filled in the spaces between Eric Early's clean strumming and hoarse, wheezing vocals. At the other end of the park, the Walkmen were aiming for expansion. The group significantly toned down their typically echo-drenched assault, opting instead for tiny pinpricks of sound, leaving big empty spaces for Hamilton Leithauser's barreling baritone. They brought out a small horn section for "Canadian Girl," turning a tiny rock song into full-blown mariachi.

Friday was rife with other stylistic pleasures: The Knux who have gradually emerged as one of the more thrilling live hip-hop acts around turned out an electric early afternoon performance, Krispy Kreme repeatedly ordering the crowd to "get crazy." If the Knux were wild and ragged, Phoenix took the opposite tack. Their songs were built from clean lines and precise rhythms every piece exactly in place but that didn't stop them from delivering one of the afternoon's more propulsive sets. Opening with the tidy thrum of "Lisztomania," the group delivered an envigorating set of dance music for people with good manners.

Raphael Saadiq delivered a new spin on the classic sound of R&B. He turned out tight, punchy guitar chords and slick, slippery vocals while his band in three-piece suits punctuated every phrase with a bright blast of brass. Later in the evening, John Legend delivered a more polished version of the same. His songs are more mannered and polite than Saadiq's, and he delivers them with the suave assurance of an experienced Casanova. By the time he got to "Green Light," he'd stripped down to a black tank top and leapt off the stage to sing directly into the front row.

20091002002BrianBirzerRollingStone.jpg

Photo Credit: Brian Birzer

But the afternoon belonged to Them Crooked Vultures, who took the stage as the sun was beginning to set in early evening. For anyone who hasn't seen one of their handful of live shows, they're still essentially the stuff of legend: Dave Grohl on drums, Josh Homme on guitar and vocals and John Paul Jones on bass. What's most surprising about the live experience is just how nasty the songs are. Far from boilerplate modern rock, the music instead coils and snaps like a rattlesnake, a mile-high stack of filthy riffs powered by Grohl's whipcrack percussion.

"We'd like to play Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' right now," Homme announced early in the set, "but we're not going to." Instead, they played "Mind Eraser," a hard-charging thunderclap of a song constructed from a squall of guitar. "Scumbag Blues" opened with a whine and then plummeted suddenly into a fit of grinding riffs, Homme adopting an eerie, unsettling falsetto.

The Vultures' set didn't end so much as unravel, petering out in a weird, wonky and slightly aimless jazz odyssey that found Jones working a single walking bassline while Homme noodled over top. That kind of heady jamming is clearly not their strong suit, but it conveys the group's single guiding ethos: In this operation, we do what we want.

Them Crooked Vultures

Stubb's Bar-B-Q in Austin, TX

October 1st 2009

ACL Fest Preview: Them Crooked Vultures - Yes, You've Heard of Them Before

By Craig Hlavaty in ACL Fest, Playbill Wed., Sep. 30 2009 @ 3:06PM

Rocks Off is leaving for Austin City Limits earlier than usual this year to catch Them Crooked Vultures at Stubb's across town off Red River Thursday night. The show at the amphitheater will be the band's first Texas appearance before they play ACL Friday. Supergroups don't get any more coma-inducing or ass-kicking than TCV. A line-up such as theirs is the stuff that rock-nerd wet dreams are made of.

TCV is made up of Queens of The Stone Age's Josh Homme, Dave Grohl on drums, Homme compatriot Alain Johannes holding down rhythm guitar duties and the stalwart John Paul Jones on bass. The latter was in a moderately influential and popular blues metal band in the late '60s to early '80s who you may remember as being fucking epic. Between all these he-men you have the sexual heft of QOTSA, the ferocity of Nirvana and the Foo Fighters and the dirty blues of Led Zeppelin.

What we have heard of the band from YouTube clips is monolithically hard, with "Nobody Loves Me and Neither Do I" being our standout. The clips really don't do the band justice, but they are at least tiding us over until a proper album release, which is said to be hitting stores by the end of October.

The Vultures truly sound the way they should, with every member bringing their own superpowers to the family table. All the songs we have heard have monstrous Homme hooks and Grohl hasn't sounded this agile on drums since his metallic Probot project back in 2004.

No word yet on if the band plans on hitting Houston in the near future - although some VERY UNSUBSTANTIATED rumors have been floating around they might make a surprise appearance opening for Arctic Monkeys Saturday at House of Blues - as the band leaves for another European and Asian which has them on the road until at least the end of January.

http://blogs.houston...ked_vulture.php

Aftermath: Them Crooked Vultures at Stubb's in Austin

Photos & Text by Craig Hlavaty in Live Shots

Houston Press Fri., Oct. 2 2009 @ 9:00AM

20091001001CraigHlavatyHoustonPress.jpg

​Just a few short hours ago Aftermath saw the rock world's newest supergroup in action as Queens of The Stone Age's Josh Homme, ex-Nirvana drummer/current Foo Fighters helmer Dave Grohl, and Led Zeppelin bassist John Paul Jones took the stage at Stubb's in Austin for a warm-up gig before this afternoon's Austin City Limits festival appearance. Thursday night's show was only the second US date for Them Crooked Vultures since their inception this past summer.

It's hard to exactly explain what the conglomeration between those three men and bonus guitarist Alain Johannes sounds like, other than using excessive comparisons to freight trains and the like. One massive parallel we did hear throughout the band's nearly two-hour set was somewhat of a demonic Cream, with Grohl playing drums like Ginger Baker on biker speed. He simply has not hit this hard since the days of his former band' s In Utero and maybe his one-off metal project Probot. Even his work on QOTSA's landmark Songs For The Deaf paled in contrast to his work behind the kit last night. Grohl was little more than a mass of hair and arms in the back of the Homme and Jones-induced sprawl.

20091002001CraigHlavatyHoustonPress.jpg

​Which brings us to Jones who is honestly the backbone of this project for all intents and purposes to Them Crooked Vultures. The man pulled out a keytar, a slide bass, and even played keys on a handful of tracks, with one bass lighting up with blue LED lights. People will prattle on about Jimmy Page being some sort of evil guitar god who sold his soul to craft "Stairway To Heaven", but anyone watching TCV last night would realize that he had a touch of old Pitch himself all along.

All in all the sound of TCV is tight as hell, with the only complaint being that we wish we could have heard more interplay between Grohl and Jones, who together comprise one of rock's best rhythm sections. After all they played behind Page and Plant and Cobain respectively. Homme stayed sturdy the entire night, turning his hip-swiveling red-haired sex menace on full blast. ​This evening the band helps close out the daily festivities playing before the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Kings Of Leon over at Zilker Park, so we see ourselves now having to make some serious ass Sophie's Choice-style decisions. We are actually quite interested now to see what a largely outsider festival crowd will think of TCV's extended punishingly intricate jams. Projects like this don't last long and go poof just as soon as they bloom. Let's hope these guys stick around for a touring cycle or two.

20091001003CraigHlavatyHoustonPress.jpg

• Administrators

http://www.antiquiet...-austin-review/

Them Crooked Vultures Arrive Before The Storm

By Johnny Firecloud, October 2nd, 2009

We arrived in Texas for the Austin City Limits festival yesterday in time to catch the warm-up club gig by Them Crooked Vultures, which also served as the opener for the band's North American tour. Sweaty, crammed bodies in the sweltering Southern heat throbbed in understandable shit-grinning awe as Josh Homme, Dave Grohl, John Paul Jones and Alain Johannes ripped through a thirteen-song set that stretched nearly ninety minutes and was packed with more swagger, groove and all-out pounding Rock assault than anyone had dared to expect.

The crowd was a roaring beast of approval from the moment the band first appeared onstage, but the reactions intensified exponentially when it became clear that the sum of the band's immensely impressive individual parts transcends any possible expectation.

As for the songs themselves, there was zero filler, zero beer-break ballads. Every moment of every song was somehow captivating, whether it was Jones rocking a 12-string bass as Homme shredded a squealing solo, or Grohl giving his drums a beating like they've never seen before. The band reveled in the fact that the crowd had no idea what the hell they were in for, making good on our trust at every given opportunity. Daffodils featured a beautiful keyboard outro by Jones, who then strapped on a keytar for Interlude w/Ludes, a sex-lounge jam that found frontman Homme trading his guitar for seductive poses all across the stage. Reptiles followed, a definite show highlight that brought the group in a tight circle around Dave's kit, riding tight through several false endings, sharp turns and mindblowing rhythmic interactions through the course of what felt like twenty minutes.

Another highlight was Scumbag Blues, an extended, slutty number that was nearly as memorable for Grohl's absolutely primal kit-beatings and unabashed eye-fucking of John Paul Jones than for the music itself. It's evident just from his expressions that every show Grohl plays with the band may as well be Christmas morning for the guy. The gathering is literally a dream come true for the Foo Fighters frontman. Hell, he's got dead Zeppelin drummer John Bonham's Zoso symbol tattooed on his wrist, so there's no question of his respect for JPJ's history.

You're reading this on an internet music site. A blog. So I understand that by default the hyperbole shields are up at full power, especially given that this new project is the darling of every music outlet in existence – but there are simply not enough good things to say about this band. Sure, the shitty YouTube clips are great, and give at least an indication of what to expect. But at full volume, free of digital confines and compression, Them Crooked Vultures are without question the most exciting live act making the rounds today. And before anyone starts naming better guitarists or other Led Zeppelin members they'd rather fellate, what earns TCV that title is the multitude of sonic surprises, the stop-starts, the changes and time signatures that are near-impossible to follow, but not to the point of getting lost in a musical labyrinth.

Look for a reason to bitch, about any show, and you're bound to find something. But for people who are as hopeless in their addiction to great music as we are, just trust us on this one. This band is fucking amazing.

TCV-Stubbs-setlist-468x624.jpg

• Administrators

Them Crooked Vultures at War Memorial Auditorium, 10/5/09

By The Spin in The Spin

Tue., Oct. 6 2009

http://blogs.nashvil...es_at_war_m.php

It takes a lot to get us out to a show by 8 p.m., especially to see a supergroup, of all things. So there must have been a good reason, right? Well, this supergroup has Dave Grohl, Josh Homme and John Paul Jones in it. If you need us to name the bands those guys were/are in, then immediately stop reading this, go to your local record shop and ask the first person you see to tell you about life (or just click here). Figuring it was enough to ask the audience to sit through an hour-and-a-half of songs "no one knows," the band found it best to forgo an opening act. Thank God.

By the time we made our way inside, the auditorium was packed to the gills. Not since the debut of Oysterhead have this many garden-variety rock fans come together with such high hopes. Them Crooked Vultures have not even so much as released a single--the only thing people have to go on are some YouTube clips that'll make you seasick--so the only way to truly hear the band is to see them live. And as they took the stage at what Homme proclaimed as their 10th show, the place went nuts.

So what did they sound like? Not a whole lot different from what you'd expect: fuckin' balls-out rockin,' brah. More like a cross between Queens of the Stone Age, Nirvana and Led Zeppelin than Eagles of Death Metal, Foo Fighters and Donovan, if that's what you're wondering. Basically, since Homme is steering the ship as lead singer and guitarist, it basically sounds like he's found his dream rhythm section to comprise the new incarnation of QOTSA. (QOTSA rhythm-guitarist Alain Johannes was also on hand to fill out the sound.) Homme is one of hard rock's last innovators, and he's got enough smart-alecky swagger and good ideas to get away with not being named Robert, Jimmy or Kurt in his present company. The songs we heard typified what Homme is good at: writing music that's smart, yet will sound great blaring out the windows of a mud-covered pickup truck.

And of course TCV were more than a little Zeppelin-y, which, even without JPJ, is par for the course considering that Led Zeppelin made the stoner-rock template of pentatonic riffs, fat drums, odd meters and sex-laden rock 'n' roll attitude with which this band molested and mutilated our ear drums over the course of their 90-minute set. Just when something would start to sound predictable, the band would throw in a rhythmic curve-ball or left-field melodic flourish to keep us on our toes. While the majority of the show consisted of riff-heavy, groove-suffused hard rock, there were plenty of proggy, climb-mountain-see-aging-wizard moments of jamminess that made us think that Homme's urge to whip out a bow--and Grohl's to deep-six his sticks in favor of bare hands--must have been killing them.

As made evident by the house lights-cuing ovation he received duringthe mid-show band introductions, the biggest star of the night was JohnPaul Jones. Jones, however, did not spend the show displaying thegiddy, "Hey, I'm onstage and back in the game" blush that wouldovertake most aged rockers in his position. Instead, he looked seriousand played with a determination to let people know they weren't justthere to see some fossilized veteran, but to hear something fantastic.Throughout the night--whether on bass, piano, synths, keytar or otherinstruments we weren't even able to identify--Jones displayed hisever-vital prowess--so much so that we were willing to forgive the useof a 12-string bass with a light-up fret-board--and that's sayingsomething. Dave Grohl was all smiles. Forget the fact that he can stillheadline Wembley Stadium and sell millions in his own band. Despitehaving turned us off by comfortably slipping into torch-rock territoryon the last few Foo Fighters records, Grohl is still "our hero" when itcomes to poundin' the skins. Throughout the night he grinned away whiledoing his best Animal impression--never losing a beat or letting theintensity drop. The argument over whether or not he is thisgeneration's John Bonham is now officially over.

What was most striking about Them Crooked Vultures was theirchemistry. By night's end, it felt like watching a band as opposed to asupergroup. At no point in the show did they ever lose the fullundivided attention of the audience--quite a feat in a town full ofmusicians and with a set of songs that were brand new. There is nodoubt that they exceeded expectations. All in all, it was easily thebest 10th show by a band we've ever seen.

them-crooked-vultures-jones.jpg

[more pics]

I just got home from Them Crooked Vultures concert in Columbus, and it was great! My ears are still ringing and I can't hear a thing! It was loud, and they really rocked!

The venue was fairly small and intimate, standing area with a very small balcony with seats. I was about 20 feet away from the stage, in front of John Paul. I had a great view of him. I did not get a picture as security was very heavy (big, heavy dudes), and they were strictly enforcing the no-camera rules. They snatched a camera from a woman in front of the stage and had a bit of a tussle with her. Definitely, they were camera nazis, LOL.

The music was really good, excellent composition to the songs, expertly played. As Josh Homme said to the crowd, it is tough to hear a band that you don't know any of their songs. I did recognize Scumbag Blues and Warsaw from the Youtube clips. Some of their music had a bit of funky groove to it, but all the songs really rocked! I liked Dave's drumming. He really pounds it out, very hard hitting. Dave was really comical, too. He took a swig of beer from a bottle and it all poured down his face and onto his chest. He rubbed it into his chest with his hand and got a laugh from the audience. Josh's vocals were OK, I would prefer Robert, LOL. His guitar playing was OK, too. Of course, I would perfer Jimmy. The band was really together in their playing, very tight musically. You could tell that they all enjoyed playing with each other and respected each other musically.

JPJ was the best. He really enjoyed himself and had a good time, and seemed very happy to be playing. He even boogied a bit, I detected a bit of dancing, too. When he sat at the keyboards and played the bass pedals, he was almost dancing in his seat! He was really in a groove on the bass guitar. I loved it when he played a slide bass. He played a lovely piano solo, very unexpected in the middle of a hard rocking song. It reminded me somewhat of No Quarter. He also played a keyboard strapped over his neck, ala Edgar Winter. When his tech handed him the instrument, he looked at it as if he was astounded to see it, like he didn't know how to paly it or what to do with it. Very funny. Josh introduced the band members, and when he got to JPJ, he didn't even get to say his name, the crowd went wild, giving him an ovation for over 5 minutes. JPJ was very humbled by that. He kept looking down at the floor, took a bow and waved, and the crowd went nuts again. He played a bass guitar that had blue lights running up the frets, very cool looking. He also played an eight or twelve string bass, I couldn't exactly count them from my vantage point. He is so talented, his playing was perfect tonight.

I don't know the name of all their songs. Someone will post a set list. But I liked all of the songs. I can't wait until they release their CD. It will be great, if it is anything like the concert.

I hope that all of our forum members gets the opportunity to see them while they are touring. smile.gif

I just got home from Them Crooked Vultures concert in Columbus, and it was great! My ears are still ringing and I can't hear a thing! It was loud, and they really rocked!

I was there too DOC' in front of JPJ, apparently we shared the same space!

Yes, they totally rocked. Grohl was playing like a man possessed, which I probably would too if I were playing on stage with one of Zep! I definitely recommend everyone to see this band.

PS - my ears are still ringing the morning after also. I'm getting old.

I was there too DOC' in front of JPJ, apparently we shared the same space!

Yes, they totally rocked. Grohl was playing like a man possessed, which I probably would too if I were playing on stage with one of Zep! I definitely recommend everyone to see this band.

PS - my ears are still ringing the morning after also. I'm getting old.

Too bad that we didn't have a Zepp fan get together there, StringBender smile.gif .

There were lots of fans with Zeppelin shirts on, we would all be easy to spot, LOL.

Archived