JOHN PAUL JONES New Project

The Pagemeister

Grohl says supergroup will 'make more albums'

BBC Radio One Newsbeat

Page last updated at 11:23 GMT, Monday, 21 December 2009

But the unit won't be neglecting their other outfits, Grohl confirmed there will be a new Foo Fighters album "at some point - definitely".

He added: "It is tough because doing this is the greatest thing in the world and our other bands are awesome too. It's just a matter of trying to figure out how to do them all. We're here now and it's a nice place to be."

http://news.bbc.co.u...00/10003590.stm

Yeah, their other bands are awesome too.

Them Crooked Vultures Unreleased Song-London 17 Dec Unreleased Track Hope for a second album.

Hi there,

I saw them in Munich and wrote a review of the gig on the www.themcrookedvultures.com web site.

http://www.themcrookedvultures.com/us/event/2009/12/06/zenith-munich-germany

BTW there is a forum there too, which is more appropriate for discussing TCV, though there is a strong link to LZ too, I had never seen JPJ on stage before and man does he rock!

The "unreleased song" is called "Highway 1" and AFAIK it has been played throughout the tour.

http://www.themcrookedvultures.com/sites/vultures6/files/imagecache/preview/Set%20List%20Sneak%20Peak.jpg

Set%20List%20Sneak%20Peak.jpg

In Munich the gig lasted 90 mins, no air conditioning, no encores, and ABSOLUTELY no FF, QOTSA or LZ tunes of any kind. I think it's ok as those guys don't NEED to borrow even from their own past, they can make it happen with what they can come up together. "Daffodils" has been nicely rearranged for live performances so that it begins with guitar growls and ends with a nice piano solo by JPJ. My fav in addition to "Warsaw" that had some fantastic moments with DG and JPJ kicking the song forward. :)

Of course I have the show on MD, though the couple of last minutes of "Gunman" are missing, they can be found on youtube however.

Cheerio,

Percy

You really think you're unrecognizable under another name, don't you? :rolleyes:

"Why?" Because I don't think Homme IS much of a vocalist. (And, irrelevant though it is, since we're talking about TCV, I don't think Plant was ever a particularly lively vocalist, either.)

Geesh, it's so subjective, isn't it?

Some folks can't stand the voice of Robert Plant, or Kate Bush, and others just love them. (But I would bet most people on this forum at least like RP and the rest just adore him!) ;)

IMO Plant definitely is a "vocalist", whatever it means, but talking about singing guitar (or bass, or drum) playing songwriters and their bands, I don't think Josh has anything to be ashamed of in comparison to the singing capabilities of say Hendrix, Clapton, Gilmour to name a few. In their music they don't need a Pavarotti, Mercury or Dio, do they?

TCV is the best new rock album I have heard in a long time, I just had to buy it on vinyl too, to be able to listen to it through the same system I used 20 years ago. Oh I did buy IV and HOTH as well as ITTOD on CD first, but before the remasters came out, preferred the sound on the vinyl. Especially on songs like "Rock and Roll", "Celebration Day" "TSRTS" and "Out On the Tiles". I don't know, but I could bet that a lot of the humor found on TCV is coming from JPJ. :D

Cheerio,

Percy

Hi there,

I saw them in Munich and wrote a review of the gig on the www.themcrookedvultures.com web site.

http://www.themcrookedvultures.com/us/event/2009/12/06/zenith-munich-germany

BTW there is a forum there too, which is more appropriate for discussing TCV, though there is a strong link to LZ too, I had never seen JPJ on stage before and man does he rock!

The "unreleased song" is called "Highway 1" and AFAIK it has been played throughout the tour.

http://www.themcrookedvultures.com/sites/vultures6/files/imagecache/preview/Set%20List%20Sneak%20Peak.jpg

Set%20List%20Sneak%20Peak.jpg

In Munich the gig lasted 90 mins, no air conditioning, no encores, and ABSOLUTELY no FF, QOTSA or LZ tunes of any kind. I think it's ok as those guys don't NEED to borrow even from their own past, they can make it happen with what they can come up together. "Daffodils" has been nicely rearranged for live performances so that it begins with guitar growls and ends with a nice piano solo by JPJ. My fav in addition to "Warsaw" that had some fantastic moments with DG and JPJ kicking the song forward. :)

Of course I have the show on MD, though the couple of last minutes of "Gunman" are missing, they can be found on youtube however.

Cheerio,

Percy

Hello Percy,

Welcome to the forum. We will continue to discuss TCV on this forum as long as JPJ is part of it. I appreciate the link to the site. I bought the CD as soon as it came out.

Looks like you had a great time at the show as many here have stated the same at the shows they have attended. We are well aware that there is no LZ ballads being played, or any of their past and or other bands as this is the music of TCV.

I am also a vinyl fan and still love the sound :stereo:

Again, welcome to the forum!

Best, DeborahJ

Again, welcome to the forum!

Best, DeborahJ

Thanks! BTW I have been here for about two years, I just don't have a habit of posting unless I think I have something to say. ;) Which is not very often! But as I could not make it to O2 I've only had the 100+ recordings to bury myself into. Now thanks to TCV I got another good one. Although the sound was so loud it bottomed the mic a couple of times. And the crowd was wild, I'm not blaming them, but personally I like to be able to follow what's going on on-stage.

Keep it up!

Percy

Geesh, it's so subjective, isn't it?

Some folks can't stand the voice of Robert Plant, or Kate Bush, and others just love them. (But I would bet most people on this forum at least like RP and the rest just adore him!) ;)

IMO Plant definitely is a "vocalist", whatever it means, but talking about singing guitar (or bass, or drum) playing songwriters and their bands, I don't think Josh has anything to be ashamed of in comparison to the singing capabilities of say Hendrix, Clapton, Gilmour to name a few. In their music they don't need a Pavarotti, Mercury or Dio, do they?

TCV is the best new rock album I have heard in a long time, I just had to buy it on vinyl too, to be able to listen to it through the same system I used 20 years ago. Oh I did buy IV and HOTH as well as ITTOD on CD first, but before the remasters came out, preferred the sound on the vinyl. Especially on songs like "Rock and Roll", "Celebration Day" "TSRTS" and "Out On the Tiles". I don't know, but I could bet that a lot of the humor found on TCV is coming from JPJ. :D

Cheerio,

Percy

It certainly is subjective, but what I can't understand are all these comparisons--first I'm informed (not by you) that I'm not impressed by Homme's singing because he's not Robert Plant, now we're comparing his singing to Hendrix, Clapton, etc. :blink: I don't get it. It doesn't matter where he stands in relation to those guys, I just don't think he's much of a singer, and I felt the band needed a stronger focal point. They ARE, nevertheless, a terrific band, and a better live band than I'd expected--I'd be prepared to be persuaded that their material doesn't need a particularly strong vocalist, but I don't find these comparisons very helpful, to be honest.

It certainly is subjective, but what I can't understand are all these comparisons--first I'm informed (not by you) that I'm not impressed by Homme's singing because he's not Robert Plant, now we're comparing his singing to Hendrix, Clapton, etc. :blink: I don't get it. It doesn't matter where he stands in relation to those guys, I just don't think he's much of a singer, and I felt the band needed a stronger focal point. They ARE, nevertheless, a terrific band, and a better live band than I'd expected--I'd be prepared to be persuaded that their material doesn't need a particularly strong vocalist, but I don't find these comparisons very helpful, to be honest.

Hi,

It's not supposed to be comparing vocalists, but different kinds of (rock, blues) songs and styles. I didn't say you're not impressed by Mr. Homme, but someone did. I simply pointed out that some songs are created without the need for a vocalist in the style of an opera singer. I think Homme's voice works very well within the TCV context and it is obvious he does not even try to do anything Robert used to do. ;)

Cheers,

Percy

Hi,

It's not supposed to be comparing vocalists, but different kinds of (rock, blues) songs and styles. I didn't say you're not impressed by Mr. Homme, but someone did. I simply pointed out that some songs are created without the need for a vocalist in the style of an opera singer. I think Homme's voice works very well within the TCV context and it is obvious he does not even try to do anything Robert used to do. ;)

Cheers,

Percy

But again, why are you measuring him against Robert, even if the point is that he's not like him? It's a completely different band with different needs.

Sorry, don't want to belabor the point, but I don't want the impression to be that I'm criticizing Homme for not being someone else. I'm just saying I don't think he's a great singer, that's it. He may be as good a singer as he needs to be for TCV, but that's a different point.

But again, why are you measuring him against Robert, even if the point is that he's not like him? It's a completely different band with different needs.

Sorry, don't want to belabor the point, but I don't want the impression to be that I'm criticizing Homme for not being someone else. I'm just saying I don't think he's a great singer, that's it. He may be as good a singer as he needs to be for TCV, but that's a different point.

I'm not! It was you who said:

You really think you're unrecognizable under another name, don't you? :rolleyes:

"Why?" Because I don't think Homme IS much of a vocalist. (And, irrelevant though it is, since we're talking about TCV, I don't think Plant was ever a particularly lively vocalist, either.)

I was only reacting to you staing "I don't think Plant was ever a particularly lively vocalist, either." which IMO is not really true, it's like the 1st album and promotional material said: Robert Plant : vocals and harmonica ;)

I know it's not what some people expect from a "vocalist", some critics called him a wailing banshee or something at the time, but IMO he was/is one of the greatest living blues vocalists. Of course his idea of blues just like mine, is not coming from North America where blues was born, but a different interpretation, and I like it.

I'm not comparing Homme to anyone, just reminding that different kinds of music takes different approaches to singing, that's all. B)

The TCV gig I saw is one of the best , if not THE best I have seen in my life. FYI I did not see Zeppelin, which is terrible I know. :slapface:

Cheerio!

Percy

I'm not comparing Homme to anyone, just reminding that different kinds of music takes different approaches to singing, that's all. B)

And that is, exactly, Aquamarine's point. She was not the one who "had to" compare Josh to Robert, if you read carefully through the posts. She was just stating her opinion about Josh Homme as a singer, which you(and I) don't neccesarily agree with (Actually I think Josh suits TCV the best), and it's totally ok. It was someone else saying she(means Aqua here) didn't like Josh because he didn't sound like Robert, to which she said no.

And that is, exactly, Aquamarine's point. She was not the one who "had to" compare Josh to Robert, if you read carefully through the posts. She was just stating her opinion about Josh Homme as a singer, which you(and I) don't neccesarily agree with (Actually I think Josh suits TCV the best), and it's totally ok. It was someone else saying she(means Aqua here) didn't like Josh because he didn't sound like Robert, to which she said no.

Ok, ok, fine. You guys (or gals) seem to know one another well. I did read through it, but did not get it. What stirred me was her saying that Robert wasn't a particularly lively vocalist either. But hey, everyone's entitled to their opinion. IMO he's very lively. B)

Cheers,

Percy

Ok, ok, fine. You guys (or gals) seem to know one another well. I did read through it, but did not get it. What stirred me was her saying that Robert wasn't a particularly lively vocalist either. But hey, everyone's entitled to their opinion. IMO he's very lively. B)

Cheers,

Percy

Errrmm, you don't need to know Aquamarine well to see it's NOT her who first mentioned the comparison between Josh Homme and Robert Plant.

Why?

Homme is great with the guitar and vocals. Should he shake his bottom a bit more for you or what is it that you want? Nothing generally against people who are a bit more, uh, lively but I don't think every band needs a (no offense ment) Robert Plant.

And yes, those are merely opinions. We don't need always to reach an agreement on everything(as I've stated I think Josh suits TCV perfectly), and that's the point of having a forum. :)

Cheers to you too.

Frohe Weihnachten(auch wenn bisschen zu spät)und einen guten Rutsch ins Neujahr (bisschen zu früh lol).

And, hyvää uuttavuotta!

Music We Missed: Them Crooked Vultures

NPR / 90.9 FM Radio (Boston)

Published December 31, 2009 12:00 AM

At Morning Edition, we've been finishing 2009 by catching up on great music we didn't get a chance to tell you about this year. On the last day of the year, it's Them Crooked Vultures.

The story starts with a birthday party for Dave Grohl, who first became famous as the drummer for Nirvana, and later as the frontman for Foo Fighters. His party guests included John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin and Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age.

The trio sat down in a castle at a Medieval Times restaurant in Southern California. It featured knights in armor and live jousting.

"We began to talk over dragon's-breath soup, which is what they were serving," Homme says.

The idea looked good on paper.

"It read well," Homme says. "And so, after that initial meeting, we decided to test that paper chemistry, and we decided we had real chemistry."

They tested it in a secret jam session.

"The first one was sort of exploring the edges of our musicality together and trying to stump each other and realizing that wasn't very easy," Homme says.

So they came back for a second day and, in time, wrote an album. It was a chance for two younger musicians to play with one of the biggest stars of the '70s.

"You got this age thing — they're not that young," Jones says, laughing.

For Grohl, it was also a chance to return to his old instrument: the drums. For 15 years, he's been singing and playing guitar with Foo Fighters.

"Playing drums is like dancing," Grohl says. "People who think about their dancing aren't the greatest dancers in the world. And people who don't have to think about their drumming; they're some of the best drummers in the world. I don't really have to worry about it. I just do it."

As they play, the members of Them Crooked Vultures say they learn from each other.

Link to Listen to Audio Interview:

http://www.wbur.org/npr/122053566

Hey Steve or anybody, heard Robert attended one or both of the London Shows. Any truth to those rumors?

McCartney was backstage at one of the shows, it's on Youtube.

Robert has been rumored to have attended either/each London show, Birmingham and Edinburgh but those "sightings" remain completely unsubstantiated (no photos, quotes, credible confirmations). McCartney attended one of the two

Hammersmith gigs:

Maybe Paul has finally figured out who the best bass player is!? ohmy.gif

Of the three shows Robert allegedly attended, it's feasible he could've been at the Birmingham gig perhaps backstage.

Whether he was capable of remaining incognito is doubtful but would explain his "non" sightings?

Maybe Paul has finally figured out who the best bass player is!? ohmy.gif

Of the three shows Robert allegedly attended, it's feasible he could've been at the Birmingham gig perhaps backstage.

Whether he was capable of remaining incognito is doubtful but would explain his "non" sightings?

Well, none of them have ever felt the need to go incognito to each other's gigs in the past. Regardless, I actually find all the speculation about Robert to be somewhat insulting to John. You don't see endless speculation about Ringo Starr turning up at Paul McCartney gigs, for example. Speaking of which, I thought it was very kind of Paul to attend John's gig, having worked with JPJ on and off in various projects over the past 40+ years.

Well, none of them have ever felt the need to go incognito to each other's gigs in the past. Regardless, I actually find all the speculation about Robert to be somewhat insulting to John. You don't see endless speculation about Ringo Starr turning up at Paul McCartney gigs, for example. Speaking of which, I thought it was very kind of Paul to attend John's gig, having worked with JPJ on and off in various projects over the past 40+ years.

Obviously the incognito comment was with tongue firmly "planted" in cheek.

If he did go to see him I doubt that it would be in secrecy and I can't see how it would be disrespectful, either.

On the contrary it would just be a former band mate checking out anothers band, regardless, people will make all kinds of assumptions for the motive behind it.

Who knows whether JPJ had seen The Firm or Strange Sensation etc.

Just because something isn't reported doesn't mean it couldn't have occurred and with JPJ's inobtrusive demeanor he could certainly go unnoticed without doing anything.

Speculation would be rife on a Beatles forum if Ringo did in fact show up at a few of Paul's gigs, I'd wager.

I reckon Dave would have got a kick out of Macca's presence too.

When the Concert for Kampuchea screened in 1979 (30 years ago this week), the highlight for me was Paul McCartney & Friends doing Lucille with PM, JPJ, RP and Ronnie Lane playing bass and the Rockestra Theme.

Anyone know why Jimmy didn't attend?

Rockestra Personnel:

Paul McCartney: Bass / Piano.

Linda McCartney: Keyboards.

Denny Laine: Guitar.

David Gilmour: Guitar.

Steve Holly: Drums.

Laurence Juber: Guitar.

Jimmy Honneyman-Scott: Guitar.

Dave Edmunds: Guitar.

Billy Bremner: Guitar.

Kenney Jones: Drums.

Pete Townshend: Guitar.

Tony Ashton: Keyboards.

Bruce Thomas: Bass.

Ronnie Lane: Bass.

Gary Brooker: Keyboards.

Tony Carr Brand: Percussion.

Morris Pert Brand: Percussion.

John Bonham: Drums.

John Paul Jones: Bass.

Robert Plant: Bass.

Speedy Acquaye: Percussion.

Howie Casey: Horn.

Steve Howard: Horn.

Thaddeus Richard: Horn.

Tony Dorsey: Horn.

If he did go to see him I doubt that it would be in secrecy and I can't see how it would be disrespectful, either.

Who knows whether JPJ had seen The Firm or Strange Sensation etc.

Speculation would be rife on a Beatles forum if Ringo did in fact show up at a few of Paul's gigs, I'd wager.

Actually, I said in my opinion it's somewhat insulting to JPJ for the focus to be on if the former Led Zeppelin singer was there or not. Then again, the mere mention of the former Led Zeppelin singer in a TCV thread is bound to get my hackles up, regardless of the reason.

I agree concerning The Beatles, which is as good a reason as any for the former Led Zeppelin singer and guitarist NOT

to attend a TCV gig. My point was there's no evidence to suggest either did attend so speculation is quite pointless.

JPJ alledgedly attended The Firm's 3/27/86 gig at Pittsburgh's Civic Arena, but it remains unconfirmed and as with the above concerning the former Led Zeppelin singer, mentioning it here only serves to fuel further off-topic speculation.

^^ That was nice! The crowd was like that the next night in Birmingham (I think Dave was wearing the same shorts then, too!), so I know just how the kid felt, having had to escape from the mosh pit myself. :D )

The boy looked rather like the young Jason Bonham, actually.

Archived