JOHN PAUL JONES New Project

The Pagemeister

First Chickenfoot, now The Crooked Vultures? Music really HAS gone to the birds!

STONE THE CROWS!!! :P

Better watch out in case we get a Hitchcockian scenario where we could be attacked by more Byrds like The Eagles or a Flock of seagulls, I am heading back to my Chicken Shack

:P

Phew managed to get ticket for Hammersmith, two websites, two phones trying to get through to anyone or anywhere but managed to get through on one website :)

Got 3 for Birmingham in the pre-sale and even that was hectic. Got the compulsary two tix's then popped back on (opportunist like) to get a spare - already taken. A bit offended actually that the password was SCUMBAG but all things considered..... who cares. :lol:

It was indeed a tough one! I had the same trouble. See you there :)

Cool :)

Got 3 for Birmingham in the pre-sale and even that was hectic. Got the compulsary two tix's then popped back on (opportunist like) to get a spare - already taken. A bit offended actually that the password was SCUMBAG but all things considered..... who cares. :lol:

Yeh I tried the presale but nothing left, I see some scumbags are selling tickets already for inflated prices....Gits or as the password said SCUMBAGS.

Cool :)

Yeh I tried the presale but nothing left, I see some scumbags are selling tickets already for inflated prices....Gits or as the password said SCUMBAGS.

Presale was tricky. The link needed modifying to work. Panic taught me that! Yeah I saw prices for tickets on ebay during the presale. I got an extra ticket but (as you know me) passed it onto genuine fans with no profit. I wish I could have got more to pass around but my credit card was melting as I was putting the long number in. :lol:

The National (United Arab Emirates)

Bands just keep getting bigger

Andy Pemberton

Last Updated: August 11. 2009 5:37PM UAE / August 11. 2009 1:37PM GMT

Three men take the stage at the 1,100 capacity Metro club on the Northside of Chicago to shrieks of frenzied excitement. But these guys aren't hungry young wannabes. With one aged 63 and the other two pushing 40, they're more like hardened rock veterans. Still, tickets for this August 9 debut show sold out in three minutes.

Them Crooked Vultures are an amalgam of the Foo Fighters frontman and ex-Nirvana drummer Dave Grohl, Queens of The Stone Age's Josh Homme and, crucially, John Paul Jones, the bass player from the legendary rock band Led Zeppelin. It is John Paul Jones's presence that has made this much-talked-about supergroup a reality. Homme and Grohl are both huge Zeppelin fans.

"Dave Grohl would like to be [the late Led Zeppelin drummer] John Bonham," says the Q magazine contributing editor Mark Blake. "When Led Zeppelin played the O2 Arena in London in December 2007, Grohl hired a van and took all his friends to see them. The fact that his own band were playing there a few weeks later didn't have any bearing on it. He is a superfan."

Them Crooked Vultures plan to release an album, Never Deserved The Future, on October 23. But they are by no means the only supergroup currently in operation. There's Tinted Windows (which features ex-members of Fountains of Wayne, Hanson and The Smashing Pumpkins); Dead Weather (Jack White of the White Stripes and members from The Kills and Greenhornes); Chicken Foot (Van Halen and the Red Hot Chili Peppers) and the Monsters of Folk (singer-songwriters Conor Oberst and Mike Ward). But why so many all of a sudden?

"It fits the times," said Blake. "The internet has allowed artists to collaborate by exchanging files when they are not even in the same city. They can make music quickly and get it out quickly. It encourages talented musicians to work together."

"Consumers now understand that bands aren't so fixed, careers are more haphazard, the album/tour cycle doesn't work anymore," said John Mulvey, deputy editor of Uncut magazine. "Musicians have to try different things to stay financially viable. Damon Albarn has his supergroup (The Good The Band and The Queen with ex-members of The Clash and The Verve), his animated band (Gorillaz), his Britpop revival (Blur) and various World music opportunities. He has a basket of careers. The White Stripes' Jack White is a similar figure. This is the new model for talented musicians."

Still, these collaborations were not always such a flexible, lightweight concept. When, in 1969, a supergroup formed around the formidable talents of Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker and Stevie Winwood, the manager Robert Stigwood, who also handled the Bee Gees, said it was a band to change the world. But after just one album and tour, Blind Faith fizzled out. Since then, music fans have eyed supergroups with suspicion.

Still, when the album was in commercial ascendancy in the 1970s, so were supergroups. Some, such as Cream and Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, were creatively thrilling. Others, such as Emerson Lake and Palmer and Asia, were commercial juggernauts. A third group, such as Ringo Starr's All Starr Band (which featured Joe Walsh from the Eagles, Dr John and Cream's Jack Bruce among others) were just awful.

Talented malcontents in the music business couldn't see a band without wanting to join it. Eric Clapton formed Blind Faith and played with a number of other musicians. Another restless virtuoso, the ex-Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr, did the same in the 1990s, forming Electronica with Bernard Sumner of New Order, as well as playing guitar for The The, The Pretenders and most recently Modest Mouse.

But for sheer superstar wattage, none will ever beat The Travelling Wilburys. "To land a Beatle in your supergroup is about as good as it gets" says Mark Blake. "To get Dylan and Roy Orbison too is a legends-only line up." The band, which also included Jeff Lynne (ELO) and Tom Petty, enjoyed several hits before Orbison died in 1988.

The history of pop music is littered with similar corpses. Time magazine described supergroups as a "potent but short-lived" phenomenon.

"If you have that many egos in one supergroup, it's doomed" said Blake. "With Emerson Lake and Palmer, they each had their own truck to carry their kit to shows. The drummer needed a solo, the bass player had his own Persian rug. There is no happy-go-lucky Ringo to balance the egos. Usually, the band implodes."

By 1976 and with the advent of punk, the supergroup seemed finished, but since then, attitudes have mellowed. The supergroup is now accepted by audience and artist as a one-off "project" and promoted in a low key way.

It's telling that Them Crooked Vultures, a rare example of an intergenerational supergroup, decided to eschew splashy venues in New York, Los Angeles or London for their musical debut. Instead, they chose humble Chicago, a blue-collar city famous for its love of live music.

But while the modern supergroup may be unassuming, warns Mulvey, they are also becoming unavoidable. "There will be much, much more. It will be fairly endless actually," he says.

Macon Daily (GA, USA)

Them Crooked Vultures kicking off tour in Texas

By: Michael D. AyersWed Sep 2, 2009 8:34am EDT

NEW YORK (Billboard) - Them Crooked Vultures -- the supergroup featuring Foo Fighter Dave Grohl, Queens of the Stone Age's Josh Homme and Led Zeppelin bassist John Paul Jones -- will embark on its first North American tour next month.

The trek includes an October 2 appearance on the opening night of the Austin City Limits festival, as well as a related club gig the night before at Stubb's BBQ.

The shows in the Texan capital will be a jump start to a small club tour, starting on October 5 in Nashville and running through October 14 in Washington, DC.

After surprising U.K. fans this past weekend at the Leeds and Reading festivals, the band will return to Britain for a similarly brief trek in December. Dates are on tap from December 10 in Plymouth through December 17 in London.

Them Crooked Vultures have just recently emerged as one of the year's most anticipated acts, debuting with a much-hyped, post-Lollapalooza club gig last month in Chicago. In a live setting, the trio becomes a quartet, adding Queens of the Stone Age's Alain Johannes on rhythm guitar.

The debut gig saw them tear through a 12-song set that featured the fast and frenetic "Elephant," the dark guitar riffs of "Dead End Friends" and the hard blues sounds of "Warsaw" and "Scumbag Blues."

While still unconfirmed, the band's debut album is expected later this year or in early 2010.

(Editing by D. Goodman at Reuters)

Birds of a feather rock together in super tour

Patrick Donovan

The Age (Australia)

September 5, 2009

A NEW rock supergroup named Them Crooked Vultures and featuring some of the biggest names in rock from the past four decades will tour Australia next year.Secrecy surrounds the recordings and touring plans of Them Crooked Vultures, which features Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age, Kyuss) on vocals and guitar, Led Zeppelin bassist John Paul Jones, and former Nirvana drummer and Foo Fighters frontman Dave Grohl on drums.

Posters have been plastered around town this week featuring a picture of a vulture-headed man and a link to a website with a clock counting down to next Friday, when an announcement is expected to be made by Frontier Touring. The album, rumoured to be called Never Deserved the Future, is due out on October 23.

Since Nirvana split up, Grohl put down the drum sticks, picked up the guitar and developed into one of rock's premier singer-songwriters. But his drumming skills are still in hot demand, and he relishes the rare chance to get behind the kit.

Not all supergroups are a success; sometimes egos overshadow the music. But early signs suggest Them Crooked Vultures, who sound like Led Zeppelin on steroids, could be just what a struggling hard-rock industry being overwhelmed by 80s-inspired electro pop is crying out for.

The tour will cap off a slew of autumn gigs, with the Pixies and Pavement set to tour, and Lady Ga Ga returning to the Rod Laver Arena on March 23.

The Shuffle: The (super)group mentality

by Blake Hannon

St. Joe Now (St. Joseph, MO)

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Good news in the latest development of rock 'n' roll dream teams. It was announced last week that a new group has popped up comprised of some familiar faces. They're called Them Crooked Vultures (wonder how that went over in "Spellcheck"). The band will feature singer/guitarist Josh Homme from stoner metalheads Queens of the Stone Age, drummer Dave Grohl, formerly of Nirvana and current rock star frontman of Foo Fighters and keyboardist/bassist John Paul Jones, best known as the former bassist for metal gods Led Zeppelin.

These three musicians are each members of some of my favorite rock bands and they plan on releasing an album and possibly touring this fall. So, why is it that I could really care less?

This shouldn't be the case, should it? I should be jumping for joy at this grouping of rock musicians. But the fact of the matter is, what most people call "supergroups" almost always leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Supergroups are usually much better on paper than on record or on stage. The only permanent impact they've left came from folksy quartet Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, psychedelic blues rockers Cream in the 1960s, the Derek & The Dominoes song "Layla" (which, along with Cream, coincidentally features guitar legend Eric Clapton) and Bad Company's entire career in the 1970s (take it or leave it).

Other than that, most supergroups have ended up being super letdowns despite being loaded with talent. They only get together to release an album or two and have terrible names (Oysterhead, Chickenfoot, Temple of the Dog). But the notable members involved in supergroups cloud what the group really is: A glorified side project for a successful musician that happens to include other successful musicians.

This decade has already produced a couple of notable supergroups that went on to make a slight dent in the music landscape: the hard rock outfits Velvet Revolver (featuring ex-Guns N' Roses members Duff McKagan, Matt Sorum and Slash and Stone Temple Pilots frontman Scott Weiland) and Audioslave (basically, Rage Against the Machine - Zach de la Rocha + Soundgarden singer Chris Cornell).

Both groups got themselves a few hits, a few albums and a few tours out of the deal. Heck, I even have the first two Audioslave releases. While I enjoyed listening to each band's music, every time I heard a Slash guitar solo, the bounce of Audioslave's Rage Against the Machine rhythm section or Chris Cornell's rock star scream, it made me just wish the bands they used to be in still existed. It's like going to a restaurant and ordering a meal you've grown up loving only to find out they've stopped serving it, forcing you to stomach the next best thing.

But I understand why supergroups exist. Sometimes, musicians are on a break from their main project, need another creative outlet and get particular glee from collaborating with other monumental talents. Other times, they are unfortunate souls like ex-Van Halen singer Sammy Hagar and bassist Michael Anthony trying to find a way to keep playing (which they did in 2008 by forming Chickenfoot with guitarist Joe Satriani and Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith). So, a note to Them Crooked Vultures: Keep on doing what you're doing and have fun with it. You won't find me in the crowd. You'll just find me waiting on the next album and the next tour from the groups you are normally involved with. And I hate to break it to you, but this is what most people are really wanting to hear anyway.

So they're coming to Oz in Jan/Feb...smack bang in the middle of summer festival season. I'm drooling over my keyboard!

Me thinks they will be playing Big Day Out, if so they will almost 100% play Big Day Out in Auckland also. :D

The Shuffle: The (super)group mentality

by Blake Hannon

St. Joe Now (St. Joseph, MO)

Wednesday, August 19, 2009Supergroups are usually much better on paper than on record or on stage. The only permanent impact they've left came from folksy quartet Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, psychedelic blues rockers Cream in the 1960s, the Derek & The Dominoes song "Layla" (which, along with Cream, coincidentally features guitar legend Eric Clapton) and Bad Company's entire career in the 1970s (take it or leave it).

Other than that, most supergroups have ended up being super letdowns despite being loaded with talent. They only get together to release an album or two and have terrible names (Oysterhead, Chickenfoot, Temple of the Dog). But the notable members involved in supergroups cloud what the group really is: A glorified side project for a successful musician that happens to include other successful musicians.

Hmm. I know that Cream are always given as the definition of a Supergroup, but it always seems to me that they were just put together from people who had been in other bands. OK, Clapton was "God" at that time (according to one graffito anyway), but Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker were just respected musicians from the Blues scene. You could just as well call Led Zeppelin a Supergroup, made up of two highly respected session/live players and two guys from Birmingham who had a big reputation locally (enough to get them recommended to Jimmy Page). Fleetwood Mac had a similar pedigree to Cream. Even The Beatles could be said to be a Supergroup, having taken Ringo from another top Liverpool band which they'd played alongside in Hamburg. A lot of top groups come together like that, combining the best people from a local scene, which I don't think is much different from Cream really.

And then there are great little projects like The Honeydrippers, 801 (Eno, Phil Manazanera, Simon Phillips, Bill MacCormick), Art Of Noise (Trevor Horn + various top session players) and, of course, Plant & Krauss and their band. There are loads of them which worked really well, and a few which were duds. Seems perfectly understandable. A bit daft dismissing a new band just because it's a "Supergroup". Them Crooked Vultures are sounding pretty good to me.

EDIT TO ADD: Other successful Supergroups:

Emerson, Lake & Palmer

The Travelling Wilburys

Audioslave

...OK, yeah, the guy does have a point. :unsure:

Wow, I had no idea that Dave Grohl was the drummer on the Backbeat soundtrack. I love that film, though I haven't seen it for years. It's the one about The Beatles in Hamburg, and includes the great scene where they are all exhausted from playing long shows and someone gives them pills for the first time and it immediately cuts to this explosive rock'n'roll performance. Ace.

Trailer:

Sountrack band performing:

Archived