JOHN PAUL JONES New Project

The Pagemeister

so...... has a release date been extrapolated ? WTF no New York dates?

Outside looking in, hate to say it... but until the official release comes out, once past the initial headrush of a new JPJ project... (is it even really HIS project ? ) all the awful sounding utube and ill eq's torrents are making me how shall I say... headachey ?

Agreed Nech ! Untill I hear the official release I'm reserving judgement on this. So far, the Youtube snippets aren't turning my crank

Nice to see ya !

That's a Friday and new releases usually happen on Tuesdays. I see you're from Canada, is it different up there? Peace.

The 23rd date was first thrown out there as it appeared on a poster that was debunked as fake by many. Oddly when I questioned a TCV webmaster there was no response to its validity so , what's that line from TSRTS...sometimes no comment..... anyhoo that only on a tuesday mold seems to have been broken by pretty recent new releases...and hey lookee here it's 9/9/09 a Wednesday and Beatlemania reigns once again...so....

the question remains the same...is it the 23rd of October or not ?

Is Jone just collaborating or playing or in someone else's project and why oh why have all decent tapers fallen off the earth for any of their dates so far?! Is it a threesome ? That poor 4th Vulture.... sorta Myles-ish....

oh, Hey Ally...been away and taking care of business.. finally got time to lurk about town beyond my other humble abode and see what other's are thinking. And yes, I have not forgotten about that other project as well...time to get my headphones dusted off and get back to work.

You're a funny one. biggrin.gif

I don't know where I'm supposed to have inferred that JPJ was "in The Shadows". I only ever said that he'd played with them. WTF??

I'm also not sure where "pedantic" comes from. A pedant is "one who pays undue attention to book learning and formal rules", and all my posts are doing quite the opposite and questioning the "book learning and formal rules" which invariably refer to Cream as a Supergroup. There is even a book on Amazon called "Cream - The World's First Supergroup". It's just a curious little point, the likes of which you are happy to analyse and debate ad nauseum in your many posts on various Zep-related forums. This one seems to have really riled you. Did your grandad die in a tragic Supergroup-related accident or something?

I am warning you with peace and love, satisfy your curiousity on this particular topic with a book. biggrin.gif

No, but once again SAJ is trying to position himself as a Led Zeppelin "insider" and you're effectively raining on his parade. While his clueless minions genuflect and gush over his Google search skills, you on the other hand have the AUDACITY to question his "expertise." How dare you?!

BillyMacQ, what an unpleasant surprise. You do love wearing penny loafers to a parade, don't you? All that is happening here is thread corruption and my patience for it is wearing thin. I've said all I wish to say on the topic and I stand by what I posted.

Edited to add: Billy MacQ has been placed on permanent ignore.

The 23rd date was first thrown out there as it appeared on a poster that was debunked as fake by many. Oddly when I questioned a TCV webmaster there was no response to its validity so , what's that line from TSRTS...sometimes no comment..... anyhoo that only on a tuesday mold seems to have been broken by pretty recent new releases...and hey lookee here it's 9/9/09 a Wednesday and Beatlemania reigns once again...so....

the question remains the same...is it the 23rd of October or not ?

Is Jones just collaborating or playing or in someone else's project and why oh why have all decent tapers fallen off the earth for any of their dates so far?! Is it a threesome ? That poor 4th Vulture.... sorta Myles-ish....

Hi, Nech. I'll confirm the Oct 23rd promotional poster and the initial You Tube demos are a hoax. TCV is comprised

of three members; Alain Johannes was brought in strictly for the live performances. He had played on two QOTSA tracks back in 2005.

All that is happening here is thread corruption and my patience for it is wearing thin.

With respect (and I'm not being sarcastic), this is a public internet forum and what is discussed and the way in which threads meander in their natural course is not decided by you. There is nothing in the Forum Guidelines which refers, even obliquely, to "thread corruption" (also known as "conversation").

That said, no one else is remotely interested in my random musings about Supergroups, so I can hardly object to dropping the whole strange episode. :wacko:

Thanks Reggie! Can't wait. I was considering a trip to Sydney if they weren't playing Perth.

Hey Fortuna!

Where you been girl?

Why not come over anyway it's a public holiday on the Tuesday so an extra long weekend!? cool.gif

Too bad I can't make it Perth! sad.gif

Great question. I have given this much thought over the past few weeks and I'd like to share my findings here:

La gazza ladra - the translation is "The Thieving Magpie" - is a melodramma or opera semiseria in two acts by Gioachino Rossini. The libretto was by Giovanni Gherardini after La pie voleuse by JMT Badouin d'Aubigny and Louis-Charles Caigniez.The opera is best known for its overture, which is notable for its use of snare drums.

Rossini was famous for his writing speed, and La gazza ladra was no exception. It was reported that the producer had to lock Rossini in a room the day before the first performance (1817) in order to write the overture. Rossini then threw each sheet out of the window to his copyists, who wrote out the full orchestral parts.

This overture, beginning and ending in E major, though passing through G major, makes a few appearances in Stanley Kubrick's film 'A Clockwork Orange' and has also provided the background score for many television and radio commercials. It also appears during the famous baby-switching scene in Sergio Leone's 'Once Upon A Time In America'.

In conclusion, I propose the name Them Crooked Vultures was inspired by Rossini's overture as well as the colloquial expression "thieving magpies". Here's hoping JPJ will have an opportunity to confirm, deny or clarify.

You're unemployed too, huh?

The Dominion Post (New Zealand)

September 12, 2009

Crooked Vultures to wing way to Wellington

Hard-rock fans will have three days of head-banging bliss this summer, with supergroup Them Crooked Vultures set to play in Wellington between two AC/DC concerts.

Led Zeppelin bass player John Paul Jones, Nirvana drummer Dave Grohl and Queens of the Stone Age singer and guitarist Josh Homme - who have become Them Crooked Vultures - will perform in the capital on January 29.

Their TSB Bank Arena gig is sandwiched between two by Australian veterans AC/DC at Westpac Stadium on January 28 and 30, making it a hat-trick for rock fans.

Them Crooked Vultures made their debut last month in Chicago, earning rave reviews. They have since played in Europe, including surprise appearances at music festivals and as support for British band Arctic Monkeys. They will tour the United States next month.

Grohl, who also fronts the popular Foo Fighters, had been planning the group with Homme and Paul Jones for the past four years.

Other big-name acts coming to Wellington and the lower North Island this summer are The B-52's, The Proclaimers, Fleetwood Mac and Motown bands the Four Tops, Temptations, Mary Wilson, Martha and the Vandellas, and The Miracles.

Does anybody see any similarities here?

Great question. I have given this much thought over the past few weeks and I'd like to share my findings here:

La gazza ladra - the translation is "The Thieving Magpie" - is a melodramma or opera semiseria in two acts by Gioachino Rossini. The libretto was by Giovanni Gherardini after La pie voleuse by JMT Badouin d'Aubigny and Louis-Charles Caigniez.The opera is best known for its overture, which is notable for its use of snare drums.

Rossini was famous for his writing speed, and La gazza ladra was no exception. It was reported that the producer had to lock Rossini in a room the day before the first performance (1817) in order to write the overture. Rossini then threw each sheet out of the window to his copyists, who wrote out the full orchestral parts.

This overture, beginning and ending in E major, though passing through G major, makes a few appearances in Stanley Kubrick's film 'A Clockwork Orange' and has also provided the background score for many television and radio commercials. It also appears during the famous baby-switching scene in Sergio Leone's 'Once Upon A Time In America'.

In conclusion, I propose the name Them Crooked Vultures was inspired by Rossini's overture as well as the colloquial expression "thieving magpies". Here's hoping JPJ will have an opportunity to confirm, deny or clarify.

Lagazzaladra.jpg

Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_gazza_ladra

Archived