JOHN PAUL JONES New Project

The Pagemeister

I just picked up two tickets for the Los Angeles show at the Wiltern on 11/17 the day the album comes out. :yay: Was shocked how easy it was to get tickets at a small venue like the Wiltern. The wife logged on and bingo!!

Oh, rub it in why don't you! I killed myself trying to get tix to no avail :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRiI5bJNIrw

30 second previews of all songs

Excellent! Thanks, Bismarck :beer:

I just picked up two tickets for the Los Angeles show at the Wiltern on 11/17 the day the album comes out. :yay: Was shocked how easy it was to get tickets at a small venue like the Wiltern. The wife logged on and bingo!!

Oh, rub it in why don't you! I killed myself trying to get tix to no avail :(

Badge, try stubhub.com. They've still got tickets for the LA show - it just depends on how much $$$ you're willing to part with to be able to see them. Well worth the extra cash, imo

Looks like the Vultures will be on the December cover of Rolling Stone. There is a turn the page feature on the bottom right for more pics of the guys. Enjoy, these guys are going to be HUGE!! :thumbsup:

http://www.dustinrabin.com/2009test/portraits/photo_gallery.html

Awesome link, Stevedore. Thanks for sharing! My favourite member looks a little tired. No time to rest when you're rocking the world B)

Dave Grohl Interview-Foo Fighters and Them Crooked Vultures

On behalf of Portland, I'd like to thank TCV for thinking of us. I saw Jesus Lizard last week, and I'm totally primed for my next installment of intelligent hard rock. We need the energy of hard rock here, it's a little sleepy and a little cold. C U on the 22nd.

Let's ROCK!!

Here's a cool recent JPJ interview about his new band. He clearly is very happy with this project and has some good and interesting insight into Zeppelin and how it compares with his new band TCV.

http://www.nova919.com.au/site/new_music/features/them_crooked_vultures.aspx

Thank you very much, that's a neat interview.

While I'm looking forward to their album, I doubt I will agree with him that TCV is greater than Zeppelin, though. ;)

Thank you very much, that's a neat interview.

While I'm looking forward to their album, I doubt I will agree with him that TCV is greater than Zeppelin, though. ;)

I don't believe he meant that TCV is greater or better than Zeppelin. What is sounds like is that Zeppelin was that important to him until he found another great band to occupy his time...i read alot of topics on here and you seem to be the first one to disagree or get way too defensive about things...

Fuck yeah!!! I'm in sonic heaven. This is sooooo good. Thank you so much, you made my evening so much more enjoyable.

My faith in music has been restored. Finally a band that Get's it!! Album of the year hands down, maybe the decade, it's that good!!

I don't believe he meant that TCV is greater or better than Zeppelin. What is sounds like is that Zeppelin was that important to him until he found another great band to occupy his time...i read alot of topics on here and you seem to be the first one to disagree or get way too defensive about things...

Oh believe me, I didn't get way too defensive about anything. I'm not the type to say "Led Zeppelin is THE BEST BAND FOREVER!", you know, nobody can see what WILL happen. Nor do I have anything against TCV, rather the opposite, I am active on their forum and I've done translations for the TCV fans. I'm going to get their album too.

I merely read the words as how they were written(I don't know if you will get what I mean here, sorry for my limited English knowledge) and gave a thought. Please don't read too much into it. :D

hell YES!!!!!!!!!! It sounds GREAT

http://www.youtube.c...CC1368DF9BDE312

FANTASTIC!!!

It has been over a month since I saw them in concert, and I have forgotten how great they sounded and how much they rocked! I can't wait to get the CD.

I think that I agree with JPJ in his interview that was posted: This may be the next greatest band since Led Zeppelin! I hope that they continue. As JPJ said, the others have bands to go back to, and alas, he does not (our loss). I felt sad for him (and us) after that comment. He still has alot of music to contribute and he needs to keep this vehicle alive. I expect more greatness from him. smile.gif

Great album put together by TCV. I love the build up they have been giving us. Hope they fly south to Florida during the winter months. :)

:peace:

I’m on my 5th go around with this album, and it just keeps getting better. Warsaw…., Caligulove, Reptiles……….they all just blow me away

I’m on my 5th go around with this album, and it just keeps getting better. Warsaw…., Caligulove, Reptiles……….they all just blow me away

I am with you - it just keeps getting better and better!! What an amazing record! :thumbsup:

Can't wait to see the finished product with artwork, etc. next week. I do hope that with TCV releasing this via youtube, people will still buy it and give the band its due $ credit. They did an amazing job putting this together and fusing the different elements from each member.

Listen to Scumbag Blues with headphones and you'll hear some great playing on JPJ's part - sounds kinda like Trampled Underfoot-ish, in the left speaker. Too good!!!!!!

:peace:

Supergroups: A Not-So-Super History

By Christopher John Farley

Wall Street Journal

November 10th 2009

The coming self-titled album from Them Crooked Vultures is the latest release by a so-called supergroup.Them Crooked Vultures is a multi-generational rock band made up of drummer Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters, Nirvana), lead vocalist/guitarist Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age, Kyuss), and bassist/keyboard player John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin).

The group's debut follows in the wake of the release of the self-titled album by Monsters of Folk, another recently-formed supergroup whose members include Bright Eyes' Conor Oberst, My Morning Jacket's Jim James, and indie favorites M. Ward and Mike Mogis.

Them Crooked Vultures has a lumbering, bass-heavy sound, charged with squealing guitars and remorseless percussion. The album features songs such as the pugnacious "Mind Eraser, No Chaser" and the bouncy retro-rocker "Scumbag Blues."

Them Crooked Vultures is drawing lots of early praise in advance of its album release on Nov. 17.

Most supergroups, however, aren't so super.

You might have noticed that Damn Yankees, Power Station, and the R & B superband Lucy Pearl weren't on the stage at the recent Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 25th Anniversary Concert at Madison Square Garden.

And you know what? Odds are they won't be there for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 30th Anniversary Concert either.

The generally-accepted definition of a supergroup is a band made up primarily of performers who have already established their reputations solo or with other groups.

Some standout supergroups include The Traveling Wilburys (Tom Petty, George Harrison, Jeff Lynne, Roy Orbison, and Bob Dylan), Blind Faith (Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker, Steve Winwood, Ric Grech), The Highwaymen (Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Waylon Jennings), Audioslave (Chris Cornell, Tom Morello, Tim Commerford and Brad Wilk) and Velvet Revolver (Slash, Duff McKagan, Dave Kushner, Matt Sorum, and Scott Weiland).

Hip-hop has produced supergroups too, most notably The Firm (Nas, Foxy Brown, AZ and Nature).

On paper, supergroups usually look good. A former Beatle and Bob Dylan in the same band? How could it not be great? Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash? Sounds like money.

The reality is intermittently interesting, rarely great and usually disappointing. Listening to a supergroup is like watching an All-Star game. When's the last time anyone really got exited about the score of an all-star game? Even the people who are playing it usually don't care that much.

Why do so many supergroups fail to live up to expectations? It's partly because having one or two dominant personalities in a band is usually more than enough. There are only so many songs that can go on a record.

And great talent doesn't always work well together. Sometimes you get the World Champion 2009 Yankees. Other times you get the Not-Even-Close to World Champion 2008 Yankees.

The Traveling Wilburys did some fine workthough none of it compares to the best of the Beatles or Dylan. Temple of the Dog (Eddie Vedder, Stone Gossard, Jeff Ament, Mike McCready, Chris Cornell and Matt Cameron) was formed as a kind of musical memorial to the late singer Andrew Woodbut the group ended up being much more than just a tribute band. And Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young set the standard for how great supergroups can be.

Still, when most fans think of Rage Against the Machine's Morello, or Guns N' Roses's Slash, or Soundgarden's Chris Cornell, they don't necessarily want them to re-form their supergroups. They want to hear them with their original bands.

Them Crooked Vultures: Them Crooked Vultures 3 1/2 stars

ROB SHEFFIELD

Rolling Stone.com

November 10th 2009

Ladies and gentlemen, Them Crooked Vultures — the second-best band John Paul Jones has ever been in! The Led Zeppelin guys never made much of a splash in the supergroup scene, unless you're the kind of die-hard fan who still busts out those old records by the Honeydrippers or the Firm. But when John Paul Jones got the hard-rock supersession itch, he didn't mess around. For Them Crooked Vultures, he hooks up with Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters) and Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age), two of Zep's smartest disciples. If these three 800-pound gorillas want to bash out an album as willfully weird and slapdash as Them Crooked Vultures, who can tell them not to? And if they do a song called "Elephants" where they basically crunch every riff on Led Zeppelin II into seven dizzy minutes, why not?

On Them Crooked Vultures, the three rock stars don't exactly visit the depths of Mordor. The album sticks to the sort of low-end guitar boogie that Homme and Grohl were blasting in their Camaros when they bummed their first cigarettes. The first thing you hear is Grohl's instantly recognizable drums whomping out "Nobody Loves Me & Neither Do I," as Homme plays desert-rat guitar and Jones adds a bass line as nasty as "Out on the Tiles." Homme takes almost all the lead vocals, but he doesn't try to define or dominate the songs, mostly doing lyric goofs like "Slick back my hair/You know the devil's in there."

Sometimes the music sounds exactly like Zeppelin, as on "Reptiles," a sly update of "South Bound Suarez." Other times it sounds like Queens of the Stone Age with a hot new bassist. But it's not desperately ambitious — the album sounds like the good-natured quickie it probably was. Jones plays a few keyboard solos in "Mind Eraser, No Chaser" and "Scumbag Blues," and though Homme doesn't sing like Robert Plant (his upper register sounds more like Cream's Jack Bruce), he does deliver loads of Jimmy Page doppelgänger solos, just to prove he can.

Despite the fact that Jones has spent most of the past three decades doing ornate orchestral arrangements (most smashingly on R.E.M.'s Automatic for the People), he doesn't get fancy here. He puts all his mojo into forward motion, reminding you he's the bass man who helped give the world "Black Dog." But the stylistic asides here add a bit of flavor. The superbly titled "Interlude With Ludes" is a psychedelic ditty with a circus-style loop, as Homme muses, "On the good ship Lollygag/LSD and a bloody pile of rags/I hate to be the bearer of bad news/But I am." "Warsaw or the First Breath You Take After You Give Up" is a daffy eight-minute Doors tribute. And "Caligulove" is, well, a song called "Caligulove."

Homme and Grohl are old hands at this kind of thing — see their excellent Zeppelin homages on the Queens' Songs for the Deaf. But they definitely seem inspired by Jonesy's presence, and he helps them keep it light. Homme and Grohl pound away like fanboys touched with the spirit, as if jamming with one of their heroes brought out their wanton side. That's what makes Them Crooked Vultures fun: It's fan fiction with a classic-rock heart.

Archived