JOHN PAUL JONES New Project

Pop has its own answer to swine flu right now, and it’s the seemingly unstoppable proliferation of supergroups. In rapid succession we’ve seen The Raconteurs, Monsters of Folk, The Last Shadow Puppets, The Dead Weather and the as-yet unnamedThom Yorke/Flea project. And Them Crooked Vultures – Josh Homme, Dave Grohl and John Paul Jones – are the biggest of them all.

It’s time for an official UN embargo, backed up by the threat of military force. These self-indulgent manyheaded monsters are now breeding at a faster rate than at any point since theimmediately pre-punk 1970s, and the main enabler and linchpin of this regrettable phenomenon is Homme himself. If he isn’t actually a member of any given supergroup, you can bet he’s connectable to them in one or two easy steps, having lured most of the main culprits to the Rancho de la Luna for one of his Desert Sessions or to, you know, jam, maaan. Take out Homme(andmaybe Jack White), andyou’ve gone a long way to stamping out the problem.

The trouble with supergroups is that, nine times out of 10, listening pleasure for the outsider is secondary to the kicks the musos derive from the experience of being in a room together. In this case, Grohl gets to live out a fantasy of being in Led Zeppelin, Homme gets to live out a fantasy of being in Nirvana, the other bloke gets to live outafantasy of being back in Queens of the Stone Age (again) and JPJ gets to live out a fantasy of being young and relevant. It’s one big circle jerk, and we’re left to pick up the tissues.

All of that said, there’s inevitably a basic modicum of granite-tough blues-rock quality about Them Crooked Vultures, given the pedigree of the personnel. These veteran professors of riffology know the angles in a song, like a veteran snooker player knows the angles on the table.

And it isn’t all guitar-bass-drums traditionalism. There are one or two standout moments here, such as the Alice in Chains doom-rock of “Spinning in the Daffodils”, which doesn’t outstay its welcome, despite being seven and a half minutes long.

For musicianship, maximum score. For understanding of what makes music great, half marks only.

I disagree with 95 1/2 percent of this. If anyone cares. :D

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only song I didn't care for live. A lot of people were leaving their seats to go to the loo or to get a beverage during this song.

That's so funny, because when my hubby and I saw them at HOB Boston, it was one of our fave songs of the night, and we were disappointed that it didn't make the CD.

Oh---and thanks to who posted the links to it above in this thread!!!!!!!! :)

Sharon

PS--anyone here able to make mp3's off these Highway One vids?? Sorry--I am a techno moron.....

That's so funny, because when my hubby and I saw them at HOB Boston, it was one of our fave songs of the night, and we were disappointed that it didn't make the CD.

Sharon

PS--anyone here able to make mp3's off these Highway One vids?? Sorry--I am a techno moron.....

I can make some mp3's yes I'll upload them tomorrow. :)

Really? I mean I know it's not a hard rocking song but it sounds awesome I can only imagine live sounding even better.

It is different then the others but so is "Interludes" which is growing on me. I probably need to listen to "Highway" a few more times. Same goes for Warsaw which seems to lose it's way on occasion, it's all over the place. Fantastic album though...

Edited by Stevedore

Music OMH.com

Them Crooked Vultures - Them Crooked Vultures (Columbia)

UK release date: 16 November 2009

3stars.gif block.gifthem-crooked-vultures.jpg

track listing

1. No One Loves Me & Neither Do I

2. Mind Eraser, No Chaser

3. New Fang

4. Dead End Friends

5. Elephants

6. Scumbag Blues

7. Bandoliers

8. Reptiles

9. Interlude With Ludes

10. Warsaw Or The First Breath You Take After You Give Up

11. Caligulove

12. Gunman

13. Spinning In Daffodils

Hype is rarely justified. The hype surrounding vanity project, Them Crooked Vultures was unlikely to ever be a convincing corroboration. Nevertheless the judicious trio of Josh Homme, John Paul Jones and Dave Grohl carry with them a combined calibre that is, without doubt, likely to remain unmatched for what remains of this decade. If Grohl's appearance on Queens Of The Stone Age's Songs For The Deaf (2002) set pulses racing, then Them Crooked Vultures should send the blood gushing from the heart out through all available orifices. Them Crooked Vultures tend to deal in the instinctual - the animal.

The jaunty New Fang, as driven by Grohl's varying drum patterns and Homme's continued sliding dedication to ZZ Top's Billy Gibbons, is gleefully underpinned by Jones' bold bass, and though it seems a simple enough song - one that could appear on QOTSA's Era Vulgaris - it's the bewildering changes in pace that demonstrate the group are not merely functioning as individuals obsessed with their own parts. Rather, Them Crooked Vultures is a fair representation of equally matched musicians. Of course, Homme, as front man, naturally takes the lead, but even the most cursory of listens reveals each member throwing their guts at each song.

Mercifully moving on from the 1967 garage-rock production style that Homme has dwelled on for far too long, Them Crooked Vultures is a natural sounding rock record containing more than a few surprises. The horn arrangement at the end of Mind Eraser, No Chaser (reminiscent of second QOTSA album) adds a certain pomp, whilst the intermittent clavinet panned to the left of Scumbag Blues adds a quirky funk to an otherwise unchained, rifftastic behemoth. But, again, Them Crooked Vultures attempt to avoid the predictable. Bandoliers is struck with galloping two-part guitar harmonies and strings that echo Babe Ruth's 1972 record The Mexican.

Yet some tracks merely serve as ammunition for dense, dull, prog-rock warfare. Warsaw Or The First Breath You Take After You Give Up wanders off into Hendrix-styled Third Stone From The Sun territory complete with hypnotic bass riff, heavily echoed vocals and tapped triplets on Grohl's ride cymbal. Though probably great fun to play, it makes for an incredibly leaden listen. Similarly, Gunman sounds about as dangerous as Franz Ferdinand playing at a Thursday night disco in Woking.

Unfortunately, aside from Caligulove, these closing tracks represent the worst of Them Crooked Vultures: self-indulgent, meandering, uninspiring and completely bereft of hooks. Considering the album starts so strongly, Them Crooked Vultures could have delivered a classic, finely toned EP; but, as it is, it's a little flabby. Considering the make-up of the band, that's really saying something.

That said, it's important to maintain perspective. After all, this is Josh Homme, John Paul Jones and Dave Grohl all in the same band. It's not going to be complete tosh, is it?

- Ash Akhtar

Edited by SteveAJones

My nephew picked me up a ticket for tonights show in Seattle smile.gif A nice unexpected suprise to say the least !

You got to be kidding me! Now additional security will have to be laid on - the Vancouver '72 (Stones) riot starter and Vancouver '73 (Led Zeppelin) drink-spiker will be in the house! Don't even think about touching the Kyma.

cool.gif

Sharon

Mp3's of Highway One

My link

My link

BBC Press Office (UK)

Friday Night With Jonathan Ross

BBC One (Television)

Friday 4 December, 10.35pm. This week Jonathan Ross welcomes: Reese Witherspoon; Gordon Ramsay; screen siren Sophia Loren; BBC Three Good News star Russell Howard; and there's music from Dave Grohl’s supergroup Them Crooked Vultures.

hmm, i've listened to the you tube tracks a few times, (recorded the tracks temporarily) and well, i want to love it, but i don't. it's messy, all over the place, no steady tempo. sounds alot like QOTSA, which i was never a fan of.

i'm trying to love it, (TCV) and it's coming slowly, but for the most part, it is different, TOO different for my taste. i enjoy a couple three good tracks. but for the most part, i am not blown away.

think about this, if JPJ was not in the band, but someone else by chance, i really don't think the hype would be so loud. this 'supergroup' has attracted many many zeppelin fans becuz of JPJ, and i believe is he wasn't involved, the hype would not have been there. i am not thoroughly impressed, just a little amused.

my 0.02

reply to my own post:

the more i listen to the tracks, the more i LOVE them! i had to let them grow on me and keep my mind open, and it worked.

Them Crooked Vultures

Paramount Theatre in Seattle

November 21, 2009

No One Loves Me & Neither Do I

Dead End Friends

Scumbag Blues

Elephants

Highway One

New Fang

Gunman

Bandoliers

Mind Eraser, No Chaser

Caligulove

Interlude with Ludes

Spinning in Daffodils

Reptiles

Warsaw or the First Breath You Take After You Give Up

Various fan reactions:..."fantastic, probably the best show I've ever been to"..."a ridiculous amount of crowd surfing going on"..."best show in the history of man"...

Edited by SteveAJones

Them Crooked Vultures

Paramount Theatre in Seattle

November 21, 2009

No One Loves Me & Neither Do I

Dead End Friends

Scumbag Blues

Elephants

Highway One

New Fang

Gunman

Bandoliers

Mind Eraser, No Chaser

Caligulove

Interlude with Ludes

Spinning in Daffodils

Reptiles

Warsaw or the First Breath You Take After You Give Up

Various fan reactions:..."fantastic, probably the best show I've ever been to"..."a ridiculous amount of crowd surfing going on"..."best show in the history of man"...

It was a great show Steve ! Not the best show in the history of man :D but ,even with the one and a half hour wait at the border and monsoon rain, a gig I'm really glad I went to.A very loud but very tight gig with Grohl stealing the show. The crowd was in fine form and wanted much more but, the band did not come back on for an encore. That was about the evenings only disappointment. I really hope this band does stay as a unit . IMHO they have so much to offer and it's been years since I've been this excited about a band's potential. I'll pm you later today Steve

Australian Aria Chart for 23/11/2009.

Edit; Just noticed that AC/DC was also for first week in at 27 (Live recordings etc).

Surprised they where not higher as Australians love there AC\DC but Tcv well that's just so much better imo just surprised that they do so well on the charts here.

Goes to show good rock is not dead.

Kevin

post-10667-125893841446_thumb.png

Edited by zoszos

Australian Aria Chart for 23/11/2009.

#4 on the Album Chart for Australia. I think that's a very respectable showing for a new release essentially given away for free via the internet. If the tour was hitting Australia next month I'd say it would almost certainly get to #1. It'll take massive sustained interest and publicity between now and the January gigs to get it to #1. Would

be so cool for them to take the stage with a #1 album (anywhere). Hope this isn't like the Coverdale/Page album that despite massive publicity dropped right off the charts after the first month. It was as if everyone who wanted it went out and got it when they could get it, but the fanbase didn't grow.

2b250fc94794a0a4d0d17657966f.jpeg

Them Crooked Vultures on taking flight

The reason Them Crooked Vultures' self-titled debut (released this past Tuesday, and now vying with John Mayer for the top of the iTunes Canada sales chart) is so bruisingly accomplished is simple: Everyone involved wanted it to live up to its pedigree. To fail would have been utterly shameful, given the expectations fated to be placed upon it by its audience, but which were also applied to it by the musicians themselves. If the rock gods grant you the chance to play alongside a dude from Led Zeppelin, you don't screw up.

Read more here

Edited by The Pagemeister

#4 on the Album Chart for Australia. I think that's a very respectable showing for a new release essentially given away for free via the internet. If the tour was hitting Australia next month I'd say it would almost certainly get to #1. It'll take massive sustained interest and publicity between now and the January gigs to get it to #1. Would

be so cool for them to take the stage with a #1 album (anywhere). Hope this isn't like the Coverdale/Page album that despite massive publicity dropped right off the charts after the first month. It was as if everyone who wanted it went out and got it when they could get it, but the fanbase didn't grow.

Well also the Foo Fighters are big here (notice number 5 on the chart) as there best off plus 3 new ones went number one and wheels (which I dont like) is on the radio alot.

I think maybe the Foo Fighters fans will also push the sales along but only time will tell.

Hope I'm right as the tour is not till Mid\late January.

Kevin

SO glad you got to see the show, Ally :thumbsup: Now you know what we've been so excited about! Any pics??

Sad to say, that all I could really get was the marquee outside the Paramount Theatre which is exactly like the one already posted by someone else. I did take some inside but they are not great. Too far away. I'll see if I can't salvage something and if I can, I'll post them :)

Supergroup Them Crooked Vultures land at the Paramount

Them Crooked Vultures - lead singer/guitarist Josh Homme (of Queens of the Stone Age and Eagles of Death Metal), drummer Dave Grohl (of Foo Fighters and formerly Nirvana), and bassist John Paul Jones (formerly of Led Zeppelin)- played a strong set at The Paramount Nov. 21.

By Jonathan Zwickel

Special to The Seattle Times

November 22, 2009

Concert review

The supergroup concert is either the most genuine or most spurious in pop music. Take, for example, Them Crooked Vultures — lead singer/guitarist Josh Homme (of Queens of the Stone Age and Eagles of Death Metal), drummer Dave Grohl (of Foo Fighters and formerly Nirvana), and bassist John Paul Jones (formerly of Led Zeppelin) — who released their debut last week and played the Paramount Saturday night: Shameless grab or pure love of the music?

The deciding point is if the music's honesty surpasses its vanity. Them Crooked Vultures felt right, like what these dudes should be doing with their spare time. With no time-tested emotional attachment to these songs, reaction was visceral, which made for a curious, attentive audience and a grateful band.

Each band member's influence was evident, synergized. Grohl, planted riserless and so deep on-stage he was almost invisible, played like a caged animal released into his natural environment; Foo Fighters' populism thankfully submitted to Nirvana's glorious aggression. Jones was all dignity, technique, and groove, swapping out four- and six-string basses, contributing brainy, Zeppish prog-blues ambition. (A sign of deference, he was given the first solo of the evening, which he slayed.) Homme was uncharacteristically restrained in his demeanor, almost demurring frontman status, swaggering instead via revved-up guitar and versatile vocals. Rhythm guitarist Alain Johannes, who has joined the Vultures for the tour, was steady, unobtrusive. On-stage, white strobes and smoke machines provided minimalist, dramatic effects. In the audience, plumes of pot smoke, shirtless crowd surfers, and screaming females completed a scene of slightly debauched rockitude.

The music at times suffered from a sameness of cadence — all mid-tempo, heavy-duty, lumbering rock. Still, nuanced songwriting and the sheer ability of three franchise players held interest. Highlights came with five mid-set numbers, "Elephants" to "Bandoliers." They played every song from their debut; with the near-ballad "Highway 1," not on the record, hinting at unreleased material. Just enough improv jamming provided off-the-cuff thrills and proved the guys were enjoying themselves, still shaping the music of this novel arrangement. No encore suggested Them Crooked Vultures would eventually be back to give the crowd what it really wanted: more.

http://seattletimes....vultures23.html

Edited by SteveAJones