JOHN PAUL JONES New Project

The Pagemeister

Thanks so much; there are some terrific images in these sets! Great to see this shot of Alain onstage.

I'm going to put more of Alain on the TCV site. Melissa spent a lowt of time in PS fighting the stage lights, which seemed to be designed to hex a photog, or a hangover. You may have noticed those yourself in Seattle. I was glad I only had one dixie cup of chardonnay. You'll be glad to know I made the worst bootleg ever. In my head I call it, Don't listen to this Eddie. T 4 nice try.

CD Reviews for Edmonton Journal

Friday, November 13th, 2009 | 11:10 am

Canwest News Service

Them Crooked Vultures

Them Crooked Vultures

(DGC/Interscope/Universal)

Rating: three and a-half stars

"I hate to be the bearer of bad news," croons Josh Homme on Interlude With Ludes, one of 13 tunes by rock's latest supergroup. I feel his pain. As tantalizing as an Homme/Grohl/Jones threesome sounds on paper, Them Crooked Vultures is not nearly as kick-ass as their own groups – Queens of the Stone Age, Foo Fighters or Led Zeppelin. Could it be Homme's droning delivery? (His falsetto only makes a few cameos and Dave Grohl provides backup vocals.) Could it be the lack of melodic hooks in at least half the trio's tracks? (Stompy rhythms and heavy, sawing, and Spidey web-slinging riffs are the order of the day.) Could it be YouTube's less-than-stellar sound quality, which tends to magnify the monotonous parts of TCV's songs? (The album is now streaming on the site.) Them Crooked Vultures ventures out of its stoner-rock fog toward the latter half of the album – Scumbag Blues finally lets John Paul Jones show off his agile bass lines, Gunman is rock 'n' roll disco, while Caligulove is a hip- shaking number with '60s organs and haunting vocals, but sounds like another potential supergroup – the Doors mixed with Iron Butterfly.

-Sandra Sperounes, Edmonton Journal

http://www.kelowna.com/2009/11/13/cd-reviews-for-edmonton-journal-2/

I wrote her a nice response to this ridiculous article.

Them Crooked Vultures: Them Crooked Vultures, CD review

Them Crooked Vultures is this season's heavy-rock album of choice. Rating: * * * * *

By Andrew Perry

Published: 24 Nov 2009 The Telegraph (UK)

Them Crooked Vultures

Them Crooked Vultures Columbia

As supergroups go, this one is pretty super: on bass and keyboards, Led Zeppelin's John Paul Jones; in a rare drumming stint, post- Nirvana, Dave Grohl; and leading the charge, Josh Homme from Queens of the Stone Age.

The buzz surrounding Them Crooked Vultures has been exceptional in recent weeks, with rumours of unannounced live appearances including one in London supporting Arctic Monkeys, whose latest album Homme produced spreading like wildfire on the web.

The trio's debut album is a dream blend of the three members' back catalogue highlights. Tracks such as Reptiles and Caligulove echo the sinewy funk of Houses of the Holy-era Zeppelin, while Dead End Friends rampages along on a riff Kurt Cobain would've been proud of.

Inevitably, given that he's their singer, the band that Them Crooked Vultures most closely resemble is Homme's. In such technically peerless company, his dense punk/metal riffs scale colossal new heights of super charged intensity, with little room for QOSA's more slovenly stoner rock. Despite lasting eight minutes, Warsaw or the First Breath You Take After You Give Up is relentless in its prog-rock thrust. Packed with punchy, malevolent tunes, Them Crooked Vultures is, bar none, this season's heavy-rock album of choice.

http://www.telegraph...-CD-review.html

Cleveland Scene

November 25, 2009

CD Review: Them Crooked Vultures

Them Crooked Vultures (Interscope)

The problem with most recent supergroups is that they've neglected to factor in significant amounts of super. Jack White is a major presence in the Raconteurs and Dead Weather, to be sure, but he is supported by hugely talented yet comparatively obscure bandmates. And while Monsters of Folk offer a certain amount of commercial firepower and an interesting hybrid of talent, Bright Eyes and My Morning Jacket cater mostly to slavish fanboys.

Them Crooked Vultures aim to restore the luster to the supergroup. Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age, Eagles of Death Metal) and Dave Grohl (Nirvana, Foo Fighters) are potent new-generation ringers on guitar and drums, but installing Led Zeppelin's iconic John Paul Jones in the Vultures' bass-and-everything-else slot is audacious brilliance, resulting in a trio that effectively crosses rock's modernity with its classicism. The CD pulses with fresh inspiration and roils with hammer-and-tong intensity from the new-rock blister of "Dead End Friends" and "New Fang" to the classic thunder of "Elephants," the Cream-like lilt of "Scumbag Blues" and the Move-meets-Bowie rumble of "Warsaw or the First Breath You Take After You Give Up."

Jones' contributions to Them Crooked Vultures cannot be overstated; the multi-instrumentalist may well be the most musically adept and intuitive bassist in rock history, and his value to this enterprise is both as forward musical thinker and direct conduit to rock's most fertile and evolutionary period. As a result, Them Crooked Vultures swagger and storm into rock's future with some amazingly effective side trips into its past, just like the supergroups of old. Brian Baker

http://www.clevescen...ent?oid=1761966

New shows announced for Sydney & Melbourne.

http://frontiertouri...x.php?newsID=50

Triple J Music News: Them Crooked Vultures add extra dates

Them Crooked Vultures are heading to Australia in January for a handful of shows.

The gigs in Melbourne and Sydney have already sold out - so the band have announced a second show in both those cities.

Here are the dates:

Jan 19 - Perth, Challenge Stadium ON SALE NOW

Jan 22 - Melbourne, Festival Hall SOLD OUT

Jan 23 - Melbourne, Festival Hall NEW SHOW

Jan 25 - Brisbane, Riverstage ON SALE NOW

Jan 26 - Sydney, Hordern Pavilion SOLD OUT

Jan 27 - Sydney, Hordern Pavilion NEW SHOW

Tickets for the new dates go on sale Wednesday December 2.

Interview with Them Crooked Vultures @ Rockline Radio :)

http://www.rocklineradio.com/replay/replay.php

I don't know if I misheard Josh in Clip 3, but when they were describing JPJ's moment where he shows them the demo for Highway One, he said it's part of some documentary thing that they flimed with that moment on film.

Does this mean that a film documentary of the band is on the way?

I don't know if I misheard Josh in Clip 3, but when they were describing JPJ's moment where he shows them the demo for Highway One, he said it's part of some documentary thing that they flimed with that moment on film.

There is a chap named Liam who has been documenting the formative stages of the group and the promotional video for Nobody Loves Me And Neither Do I includes excerpts of it. Josh's side project called Desert Sessions is

also something to be considered.

He definetely made a comment about a documentary, as well as re-working Highway One. Right at the end they pretty much sounded like they were going to make a 2nd album (which has been rumored). I am just so pleased with this one that I am not even thinking about a second one yet. I'm looking forward to the New Fang video too. Great Interview!

Yeah I heard that too, pretty cool huh?

There is a chap named Liam who has been documenting the formative stages of the group and the promotional video for Nobody Loves Me And Neither Do I includes excerpts of it. Josh's side project called Desert Sessions is

also something to be considered.

If I'm not mistaken I think he was referring to Liam Lynch, he's friends with qotsa and has collaborated with them in the past.

Edit: to say that I think Liam is the one responsible for that Gunman video preview and possible artwork for Tcv.

^ That's gonna piss off all of the QOTSA and Foo fans as they all seem to think Josh and Dave are running back to those bands early to mid 2010! Rock on TCV! :thumbsup:

I'm a big qotsa fan and used to like the foos more, but right now all I wish is for tcv to continue and release another album. It's the best for anyone involved, the bands and the fans. Josh, Dave and John need this and so do we, it's pure fun and a change from their usual bands or musical projects.

Them Crooked Vultures - Them Crooked Vultures

Wednesday, 25th November, 2009 at 4:17 PM

US release date: 17th November 2009

UK release date: 16th November 2009

Written by Jennifer Coxley

AngryApe.com

Probably the most mouth-watering line-up a supergroup could boast, Them Crooked Vultures were getting bloggers hot and sweaty before even hearing a chord from the rock titans. The three-piece comprises of Led Zeppelin's John Paul Jones on bass, Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age in frontman role and completing the trio is Foo Fighters chief Dave Grohl, who picks up the sticks as the band's drummer.

Them Crooked Vultures aren't breaking new ground on their self-titled debut, but then who really expected that? Instead, as you probably guessed judging from the geniuses at work here, they've made 13 tracks swamped in chainsaw guitars, bluesy hues, weird psych and the kind of bone-crushing riffs that could flatten a whole city. In other words, it's very, very loud.

At times there are hints of all three of their individual bands - Zeppelinisms can be heard on tracks such as 'Reptiles' and 'Caligulove', Grohl's influence is present on 'Dead End Friends', but the unadulterated rock n roll of QOTSA is the main source of play. And thankfully, none of the raw energy you'd hear at the band's live shows is lost in transition from the stage to the studio.

An album that really needs to be cranked up to 11 to be appreciated, this is an accomplished piece of work that will still be hailed as a rock classic thirty years from now.

http://angryape.com/reviews/them-crooked-vultures-them-crooked-vultures-album?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AngryApe+%28Angry+Ape%29

Them Crooked Vultures

By Brian Baker

November 25,2009

City Beat/Cincinnatti.com

Them Crooked Vultures aims to restore the luster to the supergroup in the new millennium. Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age, Eagles of Death Metal) and Dave Grohl (Nirvana, Foo Fighters) are pretty potent new generation ringers on guitar and drums, but installing Led Zeppelin's iconic John Paul Jones in TCV's bass-and-everything-else slot is audacious brilliance, resulting in a trio that effectively crosses Rock's modernity with its classicism. TCV's eponymous debut pulses with fresh inspiration and roils with hammer-and-tong intensity, from the new Rock blister of "Dead End Friends" and "New Fang" to the classic thunder of "Elephants," the Cream-like lilt of "Scumbag Blues," The Move-meets-Bowie rumble of "Warsaw or the First Breath You Take After You Give Up" and the modern Zeppelin gyrations of "Bandoliers."

Jones' contributions to TCV can't be overstated. The multi-instrumentalist might well be the most musically adept and intuitive bassist in Rock history, and his dual value to this enterprise entails his roles as a forward musical thinker and as a direct conduit to Rock's most fertile and evolutionary period. As a result, Them Crooked Vultures swaggers and storms into Rock's future with some amazingly effective side trips into its past, just like the supergroups of old.

http://www.citybeat....-for-hands.html

Them Crooked Vultures - Self-Titled

Music Review by doubtfulsounds, 24th November, 2009

FasterLouder.com (Australia)

Here we are entering the second decade of the 21st century and surveying the musical landscape there is a noticeable absence of what we used to call 'rock stars' leading the way forward. The big names like U2 and Coldplay are stuck in a rut, Kings Of Leon have veered a little too close to becoming a mall soundtrack and the big metal bands like Metallica are looking back rather than forward.

I'm not just talking rock stars in terms of fame and fortune here – more the type of musician that has an insatiable appetite for making music, collaborating and constantly injecting new life into their work.

Step forward Joshua Homme, most likely the leader of Them Crooked Vultures and the man who cut his teeth in the almost legendary Kyuss before creating his own myth with Queens Of The Stone Age. Along the way he has produced Arctic Monkeys, created the Desert Sessions and played a role in Eagles Of Death Metal.

Creating a supergroup can either be a dash for cash or an ego-stroking exercise, but when you can call on the likes of Dave Grohl (Nirvana, Foo Fighters) and John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin) to join you for an album and live shows, you know something special is going to happen. So special, in fact, that Sony built a teasing marketing campaign to hook even the most casually curious among us.

Surprisingly each individual (all are multi-instrumentalists) appear to stick to their main instruments on the self-titled album. The guitars are overwhelmingly Homme's, the bass and drums unmistakably Jones and Grohl. As a result, the sound they generate most closely approximates that of Queens Of The Stone Age circa Songs For The Deaf, which featured Grohl on drums.

The addition of Jones does lessen the metal aspect of their sound and serves to highlight how much Grohl owes John Bonham for his behemoth drumming style. The sum of the parts are therefore more akin to a hard-rock riffing Cream; three distinct players combining all of their tricks without coming across like musicians just showing off.

Hit play and the initial sense is of being underwhelmed by the less than explosive start to No One Loves Me & Neither Do I. This is of course the intention when at 2.44 the song explodes in a monstrous plodding groove, guitars and drums locked in unison. Yes, these gents know the true definition of ROCK. Mind Eraser, No Chaser introduces the sexy falsetto croon of Homme on the Eagles Of Death Metal-like chorus and contains the first of many simple and clever lyrics with, "I'm not sorry to say we just ran out of give a shit."

Grohl steps up to the plate on New Fang with his intricate playing. He is the true master of the drum fill, seemingly fitting stops and starts and stick-work where there shouldn't rightfully be enough time to do so. Across the entire album, he constantly raises eyebrows with his inventive and ridiculously tight playing.

Elephants is simply monstrous. Starting like Living Colour before morphing into Led Zeppelin at their most bombastic, it will no doubt be a live highlight. Scumbag Blues takes the riffs and mutates them for the dancefloor. Jones' bass is the star of the song with its downright 'funky in a nasty way' feel. The organ groove is sure to be his too. Jones furthers his claim as one of the most versatile bassists on Bandoliers, with its rolling, melodic pop groove culminating in an orchestral Zeppelin crescendo.

Reprieve from the battering ram rhythms is found on the carnival-esque psych jam of Interlude With Ludes. It's a woozy daydream amongst the sticks and strings assault and shows the Vultures were keen to pursue experimental diversions when they arose.

The cleverly titled Caligulove is a cocksure boogie that highlights how Homme always sings sweet and seductively even when brutal riffs are marking territory around him. The song also contains another of those killer one-liners – "when heartless has a heartbeat" – from the bottomless well he seems to have at his disposal.

The final moment of brilliance is Gunman, a funk metal glam romp that out-Audioslaves Rage Against The Machine with its incessant groove and Homme's best Bowie impression.

There are no deep thematic threads to Them Crooked Vultures, no message or concept. The trio merely relies on the fact that they are masters of their instruments with deceptively simple playing that makes the complex sound primal. Simple, fun and energising rock records don't come much better than this – and it does reveal itself with repeated listens. With Them Crooked Vultures, the devil really is in the detail.

Them Crooked Vultures is out now on Sony Music. The band plays the following shows in January.

Tue Jan 19 – Challenge Stadium, Perth

Fri Jan 22 – Festival Hall, Melbourne

Mon Jan 25 – Riverstage, Brisbane

Tue Jan 26 – Hordern Pavilion, Sydney

Music review: Them Crooked Vultures

By Jeff Loudon

The Record (Troy, NY)

Published: Saturday, November 21, 2009

Them Crooked Vultures Them Crooked Vultures

When I first heard John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin), Dave Grohl (Nirvana, Foo Fighters), and Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age) would be making an album together, I was instantly intrigued. How could it possibly be bad with a lineup like that? The answer: it can't.

Homme and Grohl have teamed up before on Queens of the Stone Age's album Songs For the Deaf with phenomenal results and while Them Crooked Vultures sound much closer to that project than anything Led Zeppelin ever released, the John Paul Jones influence is unmistakable. Listen to the first track "No One Loves Me & Neither Do I" and you might find yourself wondering when the Led Zeppelin hammer will fall. Then, suddenly, at two minutes and forty four seconds in, the tempo changes, the mood aggressively shifts and Them Crooked Vultures announce their arrival to the world.

For fans of Foo Fighters, Dave Grohl's vocals may seem shockingly absent with the exception of the occasional chorus, but when his voice is heard, the contrast with Homme's voice is fitting. Super groups such as this often suffer from a conflict of interests where each member craves the spotlight, but instead of butting heads and falling apart at the seams, their differences are embraced and a brilliant formula emerges. No, Them Crooked Vultures is not better than Led Zeppelin, Queens of the Stone Age, Nirvana, or Foo Fighters, but to hear the results of two of Led Zeppelin's most successful followers teaming up with an original member is still thrilling.

Considering Homme and Grohl are both currently in exceptionally popular bands, it is unlikely this project will extend past a single album. All three members have clearly earned their high ranks in rock and roll history and instead of approaching this album looking to change the world, Them Crooked Vultures erred on the side of honesty. At its core, Them Crooked Vultures is just three of the most brilliant minds in rock playing music together. They clearly enjoyed making the album and fans of any of their original bands will undoubtedly enjoy listening to it.

Four stars

Similar Artists: Queens of the Stone Age, Led Zeppelin, Foo Fighters

Track Suggestion: Dead End Friends

http://troyrecord.co...de356145733.txt

Them Crooked Vultures is not roadkill

Them Crooked Vultures: Them Crooked Vultures -- Sony BMG -- [rock] -- Grade: A-

By Bill Chinburg

Tulane Hullaboloo

Nov 20th 2009

Them Crooked Vultures, a rock supergroup that consists of Dave Grohl of Nirvana and the Foo Fighters, Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age and John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin, dropped its first studio album Tuesday after spending the summer playing a number of shows in Europe.

A refreshing synthesis of each artist's individual style, the self-titled release amounts to more than the sum of the group's parts. Though it's easy to recognize the precise drumming that made Dave Grohl a star or the thundering bass work that powered the Zeppelin machine, the synergy among the group drives the album into exciting, uncharted territory. Jones's bass play brings out the inner Jimmy Page in Homme, sparking the guitarist's evolution toward a more complete sound while Grohl's punctual rhythms and explosive chops push the other members, challenging the two to validate the reputations that precede them. What follows is a polished album that establishes Them Crooked Vultures as one of the best supergroups since Audioslave formed in 2001.

Most of the album features heavy riffs that throw around plenty of weight. On tracks like "Mind Eraser, No Chaser" and "New Fang," the sounds seem to rush downhill, barreling through lively guitar breaks and drum fills. Others like "Caligulove" draw out bold bass lines and deep vocals with a soulful effect. Still, on tracks like "Elephant" and "Warsaw or The First Breath You Take After You Give Up," the songs cycle momentum from muddy to quick cadences, achieving a common ground between the two extremes of the remaining songs.

Them Crooked Vultures is the product of an incredibly talented group of musicians who work together surprisingly well given their individual accomplishments. Grohl, Jones and Homme find a novel balance between their respective styles, managing only to add to the group's sound and never taking away from it. The album strays from anything overambitious, and the result is a solid foundation for a band that has the potential to make great music for years to come.

http://thehullabaloo...-not-roadkillb/

Them Crooked Vultures Fly Right

by Richard Carter

Times-Record News (Wichita Falls, TX)

November 20th 2009

Back in the day, it was not uncommon for has-been rock stars to form one-off bands.

The problem with most of those super groups was the only thing they traded on was their names.

Bands need worker bees to make their music really happen. In an uncontested battle of musical egos, the loser is the listener.

So when my friends started talking six months ago about a new super group called Them Crooked Vultures, I smiled, laughed a little and semi-dismissed the project with a “We’ll see.”

While this week’s release of the first Them Crooked Vultures CD and its 13 songs isn’t going to change the world, it is one of the best rock CD’s I’ve heard all year long.

The strength of the album comes from the diversity of the group personnel, their strong musical backgrounds, and their ability to bring it all together into something fun. There are just enough voices going into the mix, and the album usually works.

The band is Josh Homme on guitar and vocals. Homme is best known for his Queens of the Stone Age albums, which are very good rock CDs. He also does the Desert Sessions CDs from time to time with friends, where the music is collectively written and recorded on the spot.

Dave Grohl, of Nirvana and the Foo Fighters, plays drums. Grohl is an exceptionally strong drummer and not a bad songwriter.

Finally, the ancient John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin fame plays bass and keyboards. A legendary bassist, he is also a first-rate producer and arranger, and he has kept the sound of Them Crooked Vultures straightforward and clear.

Musically, these guys can all play, and they have put together some really great jams to sink their teeth into. The music ranges from late ’60s Cream to early and mid ’70s Zeppelin, psychedelic music, and a world of guitar-based rock that came out of those rich periods.

As straightforward as the rock is, the musicians throw in all sorts of unexpected musical things here and there, and I suspect the album will only get better with additional listens.

The vocals are strong, and Homme’s guitar playing features all sorts of Western and non-Western styles thrown in. The bass is what you would expect from Jones. The drumming is John Bonham solid without being Bonham, though at times it sure feels like it.

I have only heard the 13 songs once through since I discovered the album had been leaked on YouTube rather late last weekend. But it surely sounds like these guys left their egos at the door and put some world-class effort into the project.

If you like Queens of the Stone Age and Led Zeppelin, I suggest you check out the CD.

http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/2009/nov/20/them-crooked-vultures-fly-right/?partner=yahoo_headlines

Music review: Them Crooked Vultures

By Jeff Loudon

The Record (Troy, NY)

Published: Saturday, November 21, 2009

Them Crooked Vultures Them Crooked Vultures

When I first heard John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin), Dave Grohl (Nirvana, Foo Fighters), and Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age) would be making an album together, I was instantly intrigued. How could it possibly be bad with a lineup like that? The answer: it can't.

Homme and Grohl have teamed up before on Queens of the Stone Age's album Songs For the Deaf with phenomenal results and while Them Crooked Vultures sound much closer to that project than anything Led Zeppelin ever released, the John Paul Jones influence is unmistakable. Listen to the first track "No One Loves Me & Neither Do I" and you might find yourself wondering when the Led Zeppelin hammer will fall. Then, suddenly, at two minutes and forty four seconds in, the tempo changes, the mood aggressively shifts and Them Crooked Vultures announce their arrival to the world.

For fans of Foo Fighters, Dave Grohl's vocals may seem shockingly absent with the exception of the occasional chorus, but when his voice is heard, the contrast with Homme's voice is fitting. Super groups such as this often suffer from a conflict of interests where each member craves the spotlight, but instead of butting heads and falling apart at the seams, their differences are embraced and a brilliant formula emerges. No, Them Crooked Vultures is not better than Led Zeppelin, Queens of the Stone Age, Nirvana, or Foo Fighters, but to hear the results of two of Led Zeppelin's most successful followers teaming up with an original member is still thrilling.

Considering Homme and Grohl are both currently in exceptionally popular bands, it is unlikely this project will extend past a single album. All three members have clearly earned their high ranks in rock and roll history and instead of approaching this album looking to change the world, Them Crooked Vultures erred on the side of honesty. At its core, Them Crooked Vultures is just three of the most brilliant minds in rock playing music together. They clearly enjoyed making the album and fans of any of their original bands will undoubtedly enjoy listening to it.

Four stars

Similar Artists: Queens of the Stone Age, Led Zeppelin, Foo Fighters

Track Suggestion: Dead End Friends

http://troyrecord.co...de356145733.txt

well, they are already talking about a second album, so you my friend are incorrect. why would a band such as this stop with one album?? think about it. that would be pointless.....

Archived