JOHN PAUL JONES New Project

The Pagemeister

Is This Supergroup Super?

Well, much about Them Crooked Vultures intrigues

By Jim Fusilli

Wall Street Journal

November 28, 2009

Los Angeles

Them Crooked Vultures—which features Dave Grohl, Nirvana's drummer before fronting the Foo Fighters; Josh Homme, singer and guitarist with Queens of the Stone Age; and John Paul Jones, bassist and keyboard player with Led Zeppelin—recently released its self-titled debut disc on the DGC/Interscope label and last week began its international tour with shows here. TCV isn't perfect, and it may not even be super as supergroups go, but there's much about them that intrigues.

Since the '60s, a supergroup has been defined as a collection of musicians famous for being in their own bands who come together in another. Cream may have been the first. "I suppose it meant we were three guys who were bandleaders on our own, though I was hardly one at the time," Cream's bassist and vocalist Jack Bruce said when we spoke recently. "I never liked the term. I never quite understood it."

It's not easy for musicians who have starred in one band to adhere to a marriage of equals. "One thing I learned is if you have a supergroup, you have to let the other personalities express themselves," Stephen Stills told me last week. "You've got to let the guys be." Though Crosby, Stills & Nash featured three strong-willed, successful singer-songwriters—four when Neil Young joined in—the group did develop a band sound.

For a multistar group to be super, it must develop a sound distinct from any member's earlier work. Though it featured a dominating presence in Tool's Maynard James Keenan on vocals, A Perfect Circle began in the late 1990s as a solo project by guitarist Billy Howerdel. While the group's other members changed into the new century, the band's sound was fixed by his vision and Mr. Keenan's voice and lyrics.

A supergroup can falter when the singer is the most recognizable member. On The Firm's two mid-1980s discs, the band never sounded like more than singer Paul Rodgers's backing group, though Jimmy Page was its guitarist. Back in 1972, Mr. Bruce joined Mountain's Leslie West and Corky Laing to form West, Bruce and Laing, which sounds like Mountain with a different singer when Mr. Bruce is out front and Mountain with a different bassist when Mr. West sings. Mr. Bruce's son Malcolm has joined the reunited band in his father's slot; now called West, Bruce Jr. and Laing, it will tour the U.S. in January.

The new band Chickenfoot features Van Halen's Sammy Hagar on vocals and Michael Anthony on bass, Chad Smith from the Red Hot Chili Peppers on drums and Joe Satriani on guitar. Despite some satisfying flash by Mr. Satriani, Chickenfoot's self-titled debut, released earlier this year by Redline, sounds like the 12th solo album by Mr. Hagar.

If the show I saw at the Wiltern Theater here is a fair sampling, Them Crooked Vultures is better suited to the studio than the stage. Though the live set wasn't without merit, the monumental rhythm section of Mr. Grohl and Mr. Jones overpowered Mr. Homme and Alain Johannes, who joined in on guitar and keyboards. In a raging "Dead End Friends," Mr. Jones played eight notes to the bar against the guitar riffs, fixing the rhythm and allowing Mr. Grohl to mash the kit, much as he did so effectively in Nirvana. During "Scumbag Blues," in which Mr. Homme, singing in falsetto, sounded like Mr. Bruce, Mr. Jones played stutter steps until the guitars dropped out and he locked in with Mr. Grohl. The best number, "Elephants," kicked off with a Zeppelin-like guitar riff before bursting into hard-rock boogie in which the Grohl-Jones playing was dazzling. Throughout the show, Mr. Homme contributed tasty guitar solos that would have been effective in another setting, and Mr. Johannes's mellow intro teed up "Bandoliers," but I'm not sure Jeff Beck could have found a way to augment the power and tight invention coming from the drum kit and bass.

TCV works pretty well on disc, where there's a greater sense of unity among the trio members. I've heard people describe TCV as Queens of the Stone Age with Mr. Jones sitting in, since Mr. Grohl helped out Mr. Homme's band on a tour. But Mr. Jones's contribution is fundamental—the songs are built from the bottom up. I can't think of a supergroup that stands on such a solid platform. If you want to start a hard-rock band, the bottom seems a good place to begin.

http://online.wsj.co...2178431394.html

Interesting read, don't agree at all with his suggestion that TCV is better suited for the studio then live in concert. I was at that Wiltern show and it was fucking brilliant. They produce an enormous sound but I could still hear Homme clearly.

Interesting read, don't agree at all with his suggestion that TCV is better suited for the studio then live in concert. I was at that Wiltern show and it was fucking brilliant. They produce an enormous sound but I could still hear Homme clearly.

I saw TCV live at The LC Pavillion in Columbus on October 6th. I loved them at that concert! smile.gif But after listening to the CD about a couple dozen times now, I am finding that I do not like Homme's vocals on the recording. They are too synthesized and fuzzy for my taste. My initial impression after the concert was that the vocals and lead guitar playing was a bit weak, but of course, I was comparing them in my mind to Led Zeppelin, and I had a preference for Robert's vocals and Jimmy's guitar, naturally, so I thought that maybe I was not being fair in my assessment. I couldn't really hear the vocals or lead guitar much at the concert, and I guess that suited me just fine, as I was intent on watching and listening to JPJ and Dave Grohl. Their rhythm section and groove was fantastic. And JPJ added alot of special touches with the keyboards, keytar, and slide bass. And because I had never really heard the songs before, I wasn't too focused on the vocals. But I am kind of disappointed with the vocals and lyrics on the CD recording. And I don't think that JPJ's masterful playing comes through on the CD like it did at the concert. The synthetic vocals detract from JPJ's wonderful musicianship on the CD. But this is just my opinion.

Everyone has their own taste and may not agree with me, and that's OK.

At least we have some new and exciting music from JPJ, the masterful musician from our favorite band of all time. smile.gif

And now I think I can understand why Jimmy doesn't want to play with just any singer, and why no one can even begin to be a substitute for Robert. And I really respect Jimmy for that. I am not making a comment about JPJ playing with a different singer, just saying that I am now more sympathetic to Jimmy's conviction and I have great respect for him in this regard, and can totally understand his point of view. But I feel blessed to have seen JPJ playing again. And I loved seeing him look so happy while making new music. And I thank him for giving us Them Crooked Vultures. smile.gif

Edited to add: The concert was far better than the recording, in my opinion.

I saw TCV live at The LC Pavillion in Columbus on October 6th. I loved them at that concert! smile.gif But after listening to the CD about a couple dozen times now, I am finding that I do not like Homme's vocals on the recording. They are too synthesized and fuzzy for my taste. My initial impression after the concert was that the vocals and lead guitar playing was a bit weak, but of course, I was comparing them in my mind to Led Zeppelin, and I had a preference for Robert's vocals and Jimmy's guitar, naturally, so I thought that maybe I was not being fair in my assessment. I couldn't really hear the vocals or lead guitar much at the concert, and I guess that suited me just fine, as I was intent on watching and listening to JPJ and Dave Grohl. Their rhythm section and groove was fantastic. And JPJ added alot of special touches with the keyboards, keytar, and slide bass. And because I had never really heard the songs before, I wasn't too focused on the vocals. But I am kind of disappointed with the vocals and lyrics on the CD recording. And I don't think that JPJ's masterful playing comes through on the CD like it did at the concert. The synthetic vocals detract from JPJ's wonderful musicianship on the CD. But this is just my opinion.

Everyone has their own taste and may not agree with me, and that's OK.

At least we have some new and exciting music from JPJ, the masterful musician from our favorite band of all time. smile.gif

And now I think I can understand why Jimmy doesn't want to play with just any singer, and why no one can even begin to be a substitute for Robert. And I really respect Jimmy for that. I am not making a comment about JPJ playing with a different singer, just saying that I am now more sympathetic to Jimmy's conviction and I have great respect for him in this regard, and can totally understand his point of view. But I feel blessed to have seen JPJ playing again. And I loved seeing him look so happy while making new music. And I thank him for giving us Them Crooked Vultures. smile.gif

Edited to add: The concert was far better than the recording, in my opinion.

Agree wholeheartedly with you on your comments about JP. I would rather he retired than compromise his standards. Led Zeppelin was more than the sum of its parts and I don't think that magic can be easily recreated.

I haven't heard TCV live yet but I have mixed feelings about the CD. On first listen it seems overproduced - a few good songs but nothing outstanding.

Them Crooked Vultures

Interscope/Universal

Jared Morano (CHARTattack)

11/26/2009 4:11pm

Of the current wave of supergroups Them Crooked Vultures are the only one that don't seem tacky. To the contrary, they really sound like a real band that actually enjoys working together, like they weren't just thrown in a room like kids on a playdate ("John, you remember Josh...").

With a lineup of Dave Grohl on drums, Josh Homme on guitar and John Paul Jones on bass, one might wonder which host band they sound most like. That would be Queens Of The Stone Age, with Zeppelin taking second and Foo Fighters a distant third.

Actually, the album can be divided evenly between influences. The first four tracks are most like Queens. The next four — including my favourite songs "Elephants" and "Reptiles" — are more akin to Zeppelin. Next comes an interlude which sounds like Grohl raiding Gorillaz work tapes, and the last four tracks are either extended psychedelic-metal jams or the Foo Fighters-ish "Caligulove."

There are some Cream moments and lots of heavy riffing (Jones is running full throttle front to back) thrown in, but otherwise the material should be familiar to Queens fans.

These guys might be in the second half of their lives, but they don't sound old. In a period when talentless rich kids bribe their way to radio, these dads and grand-dads have more vitality than those half their age.

www.BuddyHead.com

Finally, something I was excited to hear came in the mail! Finally something good to listen to! Ahh!

Getting this record in the mail was news to me that their label, Interscope Records, was still in the business of trying to sell rock n’ roll. I thought the label’s boss and once engineer to John Lennon and Tom Petty producer, Jimmy Lovine, had ditched his beloved rock n’ roll for modern junk-food garbage music that he pumps out like a slave labor run factory! Actually I’ve never met homeboy, but that don’t matt cuz he is the reason we have to hear musical-AIDS like Black Eye Peas, Lady Gaga, Thimbaland, LMFAO, Shwayze, Diddy, 50 Cent, Eminem and a bunch more crap that clogs up popular music today. Thanks for your contribution to our already shitty culture Jimmy! Your legacy will basically be a crusty dog turd. Oh wait I forgot Interscope. and Jimmy, have Puddle Of Mudd! I knew they had another rock band! I guess I just didn’t know they put out GOOD rock records too! Let alone ones with members from bands like Led Zeppelin (John Paul Jones), Nirvana (Dave Grohl) ON DRUMS and not singing Foo Fighter songs in the process – which is a double win for everyone!), Josh Homme (Queen of The Stone Age) singing as well as laying down “crunchy riffs on guitar” and Alain Johannes (Eleven, QOTSA) on second ripping axe and I’m gonna guess production as well. But I was too lazy to read the liner notes or wikipedia that shit, so don’t quote me boy, cuz I ain’t said shit!

Yep, most of the press have already crowned this band a super group and have named their debut, “rock record of the year”. I think they’re about half right. This is a super group for sure and this band’s self titled debut is for sure one of the best records of the year. But I don’t know about number one. But then again, I don’t have a better idea for the number one spots of best rock record that came out in 2009. So maybe it is… I guess that paragraph was pointless, I just changed my mind.

Plus I know it’s lame but I just can’t help comparing it to “Songs From The Deaf” from Queens of The Stone Age due to the obvious fact that on both albums Dave Grohl is playing drums and Josh Homme is the lead singer/guitar player so it sounds similar. Them Crooked Vultures does have one advantage though, John Paul Jones kicking ass on bass guitar only in a way a member of Led Zeppelin could do. But if you wanna talk super groups, plus a record that has “peaks and valleys” with it’s wide array of vocals, Queens of The Stone Age on “Songs For The Deaf” era had Mark Lanegan (from Screaming Trees) and his whiskey drenched vocals and the band also had that “crazy naked punk bald guy on bass who scared the shit outta you,” Nick Oliveri. I know how hard it is when two long time friends finally move on in different directions, so I’ll leave the Nick subject at that at that. Plus their new bass player Mikey Shoes is not only a close friend but one hell of a ripper on his bass too. Either way, please don’t punch me Josh cuz this is a good review and I fucking love you man! And I say that anytime the singer is 6’4 and living in the same city as I do. It’s just instinct man.

So yeah, I’m so that guy now. I’m the guy that actually said that this record doesn’t stack up to “Songs For The Deaf”. Nobody likes that guy. And the band, they really don’t like that guy. But for some reason I had to say it, and I did, so let’s move on and hope nobody beats my face in.

So anyways, back to the record I’m reviewing… I still feel the same way now that I felt about this band the first time I heard “New Fang” from the Them Crooked Vultures debut:

“Listen up here kids: The first time I put this song on my stereo my girlfriend went into a trance and just started dancing to the beat and grinding me like a professional dancer! And I’m not talking about a ballerina. Think more along the lines of Crazy Girls in 1990 right before punk broke and Kurdt Cobain ruined it for everyone! I was lucky my iTunes had this song on repeat cuz by the second time this jam kicked in both my clothes and my girlfriend’s clothes were in a pile a few feet from us and her dancing turned into both of us moving to the beat of the song on the floor. Now that’s what a rock n’ roll song is supposed to do! Get inside you and give you that warm fuzzy feeling that makes you wanna love the one you’re with! I even found you an mp3 so you can play it on your iPod while you work out at the gym Patrick Bateman style, you sick fucks.”

“Finally, a record I’m excited about.” I wrote. And exciting it is, you’ve got three of the best in rock music doing what they do best… ripping! But it’s almost too many riffs! Wait, did I actually say that? I think this may be the first time a record has rocked too much for me. I’d really like to see these guys come out with a second record that has a few more shades to it than this one does. I think this is a great first album, I give it a B+, a scratch n’ sniff sticker of a tire (the one that smells like gas) and my constructive criticism is that it’s kinda like being stuck in fifth gear the whole time. So I guess if you’re on meth, adderall, cocaine, crank or yer just really up-beat, then this could be your new favorite record!

Ok real talk: I wasn’t that impressed with Dave Grohl’s performance on this disc. Ok, dont’ get me wrong… I can’t do that, he’s still Dave Fucking Grohl AKA one of the best rock drummers in the world (some would argue that he is the very best). But what I’m saying is I wasn’t shocked with his playing on this record like I was shocked the first time I heard “Songs For The Deaf”. Homeboy really raised the bar on that one.

And gold stars for Josh cuz I think his voice sounds as good, if not better, than it ever has. I can’t put my finger on it yet, but whatever Josh is doing different on these jams with his voice, it’s totally working! Plus no one has better stage banter, if Josh wasn’t already busy being in like four or five rock bands already I’d suggest that he give stand-up comedy a spin.

But even with those two rock star dudes in the band, the real rock star of this band, especially when you see them live, is the one and only John Paul Jones. I don’t care if these dudes start making nu-metal records, I’ll still go see them every time they play live just to see JPJ show ‘em all how it’s really done. I was lucky enough to catch the band’s first Los Angeles show at The Roxy and like anyone else with a clue would do, I stood on JPJ’s side the entire time. I was like two feet from the man and his shit-grin-plastered face. Dude was stoked to be there, which made the show that much better to be in the crowd. Seeing as how Led Zeppelin was the first rock n’ roll band I ever got into and I never thought I’d get to see any of the members play music live (cuz someone fucked up – I was born WAY too late, I missed everything – didn’t even get the death rattle of rock n’ roll!) it’s safe to say I felt like I was 14 at this show cuz all I could think about was “HOLY SHIT THAT’S THE DUDE WHO WROTE NO QUARTER”! And “HOLY FUCK, THAT’S JOHN PAUL JONES! HE SOLD HIS SOUL TO THE DEVIL FOR ROCK N’ ROLL! I WILL NEVER BE THAT COOL!” and neither will you! Deal with it, I have.

But I got a question? Does JPJ live in a castle like Jimmy Page? I wanna live in a fucking castle!

The other thing is… Them Crooked Vultures are really fucking LOUD! So loud my ears rang like sirens for about three hours after they stopped playing. I’m already pretty fucking deaf, I didn’t wear ear plugs during My Bloody Valentine at the Santa Monica Civic Center or The El Rey and my ears were fine. So I guess it’s “thanks for the permanent hearing damage” Dave, Josh, Alain and JPJ cuz you’re louder than Kevin Shields and his buddies! And that’s saying a lot. Ok, you did good… you made it to the end of my review, reward yourself now.

http://www.buddyhead.com/them-crooked-vultures-st/

French Television Gig Announced

The band will return to Paris to perform a gig for the French television programme l' Album de la Semaine on December 4th. It will be telecast on Canal+ on December 17th. Unfortunately for fans, this gig is being used to showcase the band for approximately 150 media representatives and it is doubtful any fans will be able to attend.

Them Crooked Vultures Rock the Roseland

by Tara Dublin on November 23, 2009

Oregon Music News.com

The word supergroup has been overused to the point of cliché. But Sunday night at the Roseland, Them Crooked Vultures–John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin, Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age, and Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters (along with additional guitarist Alain Johannes, aka The Luckiest Bastard in the World) lived up to that title (and more) with a powerful, solid set that showcased each band members’ talents.

After a lackluster opening set from Mini Mansions, Them Crooked Vultures took the stage to thunderous applause, with Jones getting the longest ovation. The band played songs from their self-titled release and nothing from their other respective ventures. ”We’re not a cover band,” lead singer and guitarist Homme said when shouts came from the crowd for a QOTSA song. “We don’t play requests.”

As a longtime fan of all three main members, it was an astonishing thing to watch these musicians playing together, creating a sound that was at once new and also reminiscent of their previous work. You can hear touches of the heavy Led Zeppelin bass in songs like “Scumbag Blues,” while “Bandoliers” sounds very much like a song off of the Queens’ Songs for the Deaf album. Fans of the Foo Fighters’ more radio-friendly hits won’t hear any traces of “Learn to Fly,” but there are plenty of catchy hooks to be heard (”Elephants,” “Mind Eraser, No Chaser”).

You can’t talk about this band without discussing Dave Grohl’s drumming. Most of the people present likely never caught him when he was drumming for another trio nearly 20 years ago, though more got the chance when he sat in with QOTSA. To be able to watch the world’s greatest living drummer (go on, argue with me, I have plenty of backup) in such a small venue was just amazing. Judging from the hoots emanating from all the fanboys with man-crushes (Hello, guy behind me? You yelled “I love you, Dave!” more times in one show than any chick I’ve ever heard), the men on the stage could have played nursery rhymes and the crowd would have eaten it up.

This isn’t to say the material isn’t good. It’s fantastic. It’s gritty, hard, dirty, sexy rock and roll, something that’s long been absent from the radio airwaves. I would venture to say that a good portion of the crowd hadn’t heard much, if any, of the songs before the show, but it didn’t matter at all. The people in the crowd didn’t come for a sing-a-long; they came to see what happens when three rock legends come together to make music.

Jones played an extended piece on the keyboard, eliciting howls of delight from the packed house. He also rocked the keytar, which is never not awesome. The joy in Grohl’s face as he watched one of his idols was clear, and many around me commented that he looked like he was having the time of his life. But Jones seemed as energized by his band mates as they were with him. ”It’s a new way of doing things, when you play with new musicians,” Jones said after the show. “They bring in new ideas, and you come at them in a way maybe you hadn’t thought about before. So, we feed off each other in that way.”

The band thankfully did away with the much-maligned and unnecessary encore. Homme announced the last song (when this emitted boos from the crowd, Grohl mouthed “We don’t have enough songs” and shrugged comically), and they launched into an extended version of “Warsaw, Or the First Breath You Take After You Give Up,” finishing with a seemingly endless, and jaw-dropping, jam.

And what do the two young upstarts think of this endeavour with JPJ? ”It’s a good group,” Josh Homme said after the show. ”We go out, we have a great time, it’s a party, it’s fun.” Homme hinted that the future holds more music from both Them Crooked Vultures and Queens of the Stone Age. “I can do both,” he joked, “since I don’t have a day job.”

As for Grohl, when asked how he’s enjoying this band, his answer is about what you’d expect. “It’s a fucking blast,” he said with a huge grin.

Setlist:

Nobody Loves Me and Neither Do I

Dead End Friends

Scumbag Blues

Elephants

Highway 1

New Fang

Gunman

Bandoliers

Mind Eraser, No Chaser

Caligulove

Interlude w/ Ludes

Daffodils

Reptiles

Warsaw, Or The First Breath You Take After You Give Up

http://oregonmusicnews.com/blog/2009/11/23/them-crooked-vultures-rock-the-roseland/

Cheers, RH :) Let us know if you find it.

The only place to find a copy is on Ebay, which i try and stay away from normally because I had my identity stolen on there. I must have opened a fake email from ebay and someone stole all of my info and account number. This happened about 2 years ago and I hadn't been back since I cancelled my account. However I broke my own rules and purchased a copy for just under $10 from a seller on Ebay and the shipping from Austrailia was about $12, so thanks to Steve for the "heads up" on that, and to everyone else who sent me a link. The New York book store didn't carry that version nor did the other links.

The only place to find a copy is on Ebay, which i try and stay away from normally because I had my identity stolen on there. I must have opened a fake email from ebay and someone stole all of my info and account number. This happened about 2 years ago and I hadn't been back since I cancelled my account. However I broke my own rules and purchased a copy for just under $10 from a seller on Ebay and the shipping from Austrailia was about $12, so thanks to Steve for the "heads up" on that, and to everyone else who sent me a link. The New York book store didn't carry that version nor did the other links.

...tks for letting us know, and it looks like there are no outlets in Canada regarding same...interesting that only U.S. Edition in North America!!!

Billboard CD review: Them Crooked Vultures

Tue Dec 1, 2009 8:16pm EST

ARTIST: THEM CROOKED VULTURESALBUM: THEM CROOKED VULTURES (Interscope Records)

With Queens of the Stone Age's Josh Homme on guitar and vocals, Foo Fighters' Dave Grohl on drums and Led Zeppelin's John Paul Jones on bass/keyboards, Them Crooked Vultures' self-titled debut comes with a high pedigree and even higher expectations. Like Monsters of Folk, this rock supergroup delivers by drawing upon each member's talents and creating a sound that's refreshingly singular and remarkably fun. "Them Crooked Vultures" features technically polished, bluesy guitar-driven bar rock, with the song "Mind Eraser, No Chaser" and first single "New Fang" relying on start-stop tempos and punishing solos. While Jones adds depth on bass and Grohl's drumming is predictably top-notch, Homme commands the spotlight with sexually charged yet haunting vocals. "I don't need a reason, baby/Put your arms around me," he sings on "Caligulove" before an unexpected keyboard solo sweeps the track in a different direction. The set may be a one-off experiment, but the band's chemistry points to a potentially bright future.

http://www.reuters.com/article/reviewsNews/idUSTRE5B108420091202

Thanks for following up, RH. I've a couple places yet to try but if it's not in either of those then that'll be that as I'm not willing to go the ebay route. But who knows? Maybe by the 25th Santa will have deemed be just good enough to send me a surprise :D.

Like you, I'm a bit gun shy about the online purchase for the reasons you mentioned, but also because for me the music is the most important thing (well not in the grand scheme of things kind of way, where being a decent human being is probably the most important. I wouldn't care if Wagner had written 20 cycles, he was still a dick; and people didn't exactly lament Poe's passing either :lol: ). But for our purposes, the music is at the heart of it all and all else is peripheral to varying degrees. So I've gone to some lengths to see live concerts, and will do what I can to get the mag because I'll be in the area anyway, but if I don't get it, meh, it's ok.

Glad to hear that you'll get what you want, though.

Them Crooked Vultures interview

them-crooked-vultu_1535859c.jpg

When, in December 2007, Led Zeppelin reunited for one night at London’s O2 Arena, rock fans the world over hoped that the story wouldn’t end there. From a purely Zeppelin perspective, it did, sadly, as Robert Plant has refused to participate any further. Almost two years later, however, that legendary concert has led elsewhere, to the formation of a new band, Them Crooked Vultures, which seems destined to become an era-defining force in heavy rock for the 2010s, much as Led Zep were for the 1970s.

Read More

Them Crooked Vultures interview

them-crooked-vultu_1535859c.jpg

When, in December 2007, Led Zeppelin reunited for one night at London’s O2 Arena, rock fans the world over hoped that the story wouldn’t end there. From a purely Zeppelin perspective, it did, sadly, as Robert Plant has refused to participate any further. Almost two years later, however, that legendary concert has led elsewhere, to the formation of a new band, Them Crooked Vultures, which seems destined to become an era-defining force in heavy rock for the 2010s, much as Led Zep were for the 1970s.

Read More

Good to hear Jimmy worked on new material with JPJ and Jason and not just rehashed the old stuff. maybe there is hope for Jimmy yet.

Them Crooked Vultures: 'Them Crooked Vultures'

Rating: ttd-stars3.png

by Larry Rodgers - Dec. 2, 2009 09:24 AM

The Arizona Republic

Foo Fighters front man Dave Grohl is the common link between Led Zeppelin bassist John Paul Jones and Queens of the Stone Age singer-guitarist Josh Homme. Grohl set the pair up on "a blind date," and this Zeppelin-inspired collection emerged.

Things start out with a handful of fun songs featuring Grohl's peerless drumming, Homme's "I'm a rock-star" vocals and Jones' adept bass-playing.

"No One Loves Me & Neither Do I" begins naked and crisp before turning aggressive and dark. "New Fang" moves on a relentless wall of guitars, and "Mind Eraser, No Chaser," mixes time signatures a la Zeppelin's "Black Dog."

Jones throws in synthesizer and organ in places, including the Latin-flavored "Bandoliers." But Homme's nonsensical lyrics and melodies that wander without finding a hook bog down the second half.

In the end, this comes off as a fun but semi-lightweight side project.

http://www.azcentral...invultures.html

Vultures interrupted by Homme arrest

By WENN.COM

homme256.jpg

Them Crooked Vultures frontman Josh Homme. (WENN.COM file photo)

Recording of the new Them Crooked Vultures album was put on hold after just three days - when frontman Josh Homme found himself in jail.

The supergroup, which also includes Foo Fighters singer Dave Grohl and Led Zeppelin star John Paul Jones, headed to a studio in Burbank, California earlier this year to record their debut.

But the sessions came to an abrupt halt after just three days when Queens of the Stone Age star Homme was arrested and thrown behind bars.

Although Homme refuses to reveal why he ended up in custody, he admits being severely embarrassed when he had to explain the situation to his new bandmates.

He said, "I got arrested on the third day of our session. It was total bull, because I really was just hanging out, you know? When I got out of jail, we were recording that day, so I told the guys, 'Look, I haven't had that much sleep, it's going take me a sec (second) to get my thing together.' And to not have one look of judgement was very cool. I gotta be just who I am, because I don't know who else to be."'

2010 Grammy Nominations

Alas, no Them Crooked Vultures!

Were they not eligible for this year? I can't believe they weren't at least considered for best new rock band or some such category!

But Jeff Beck did get a nomination, also Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood, AC/DC, U2, T Bone Burnett, and Metallica. So it's not all bad. But there will be no excitement for us Zepp fans this time like it was last year, with Robert and Allison cleaning up with all of their wins.

2010 Grammy Nominations

Alas, no Them Crooked Vultures!

Were they not eligible for this year? I can't believe they weren't at least considered for best new rock band or some such category!

The cutoff date for Grammys must be October, otherwise, it would have been cool to see John Paul win album of the year, back to back with Planty.

Vultures interrupted by Homme arrest

By WENN.COM

homme256.jpg

Them Crooked Vultures frontman Josh Homme. (WENN.COM file photo)

Recording of the new Them Crooked Vultures album was put on hold after just three days - when frontman Josh Homme found himself in jail.

The supergroup, which also includes Foo Fighters singer Dave Grohl and Led Zeppelin star John Paul Jones, headed to a studio in Burbank, California earlier this year to record their debut.

But the sessions came to an abrupt halt after just three days when Queens of the Stone Age star Homme was arrested and thrown behind bars.

Although Homme refuses to reveal why he ended up in custody, he admits being severely embarrassed when he had to explain the situation to his new bandmates.

He said, "I got arrested on the third day of our session. It was total bull, because I really was just hanging out, you know? When I got out of jail, we were recording that day, so I told the guys, 'Look, I haven't had that much sleep, it's going take me a sec (second) to get my thing together.' And to not have one look of judgement was very cool. I gotta be just who I am, because I don't know who else to be."'

Uh oh.

I highly doubt the session itself will lose momentum, guitar players end up waiting around for the rhythm section anyway.. unless they do live basics and keep em. Seize the day, Vultures!

Hope Josh finds healthy ways to deal with the pressure. It would be nice if they decriminalized smoking a joint, though. Is that so wrong?

Sorry if this has been posted...interesting read...

http://www.spinner.com/2009/12/03/ld-zeppelin-reunion-helped-form-them-crooked-vultures/

Led Zeppelin Reunion Helped Form Them Crooked Vultures

* Posted on Dec 3rd 2009 5:37AM by Julian Marszalek

Former Led Zeppelin bassist John Paul Jones (pictured) has revealed how the one-off reunion of his former band in December 2007 has led to the formation of his new musical project, Them Crooked Vultures, with Foo Fighters' Dave Grohl and Queens of the Stone Age's mastermind Josh Homme.

Speaking to the Daily Telegraph, Jones said, "The O2 gig was really good. We'd put a lot of work into it. It had to sound like the last night of a two-year tour.

"After Robert Plant said he didn't want to do any more, I rehearsed with Jimmy Page and Jason Bonham for quite a lot of last year. We'd put so much into [the O2 gig] together, we thought, Let's just start another band. We wrote new material, but we couldn't really agree on singers and it didn't work out."

He continued: "But after that, I was in that mindset where I'd probably do some touring. My parents were in variety, so I've always felt at home on stage. When Dave came along and said, 'Do you fancy trying out with Josh?' I jumped at it."

The Crooked Vulture's sold out UK tour kicks off in Portsmouth next before winding up at London's HMV Hammersmith Apollo on Dec. 18

Archived