JOHN PAUL JONES New Project

The Pagemeister

Amazing bloody gig, Tight, Pro, LOUD!! the Albert Hall is an amazing venue!!

only bad thing is they didnt play Reptiles, unless i was in the pisser when that happened!

They are so great live!!! Was it a packed house?

:party:

• Administrators

http://www.nme.com/n...-vultures/50328

Them Crooked Vultures kicked off 2010's Teenage Cancer Trust benefit shows at London's Royal Albert Hall last night (March 22).

themcrookedvulturesaphotots1L291009.jpg

Josh Homme, Dave Grohl and John Paul Jones brought their band back to the UK for the first of the shows hosted by The Who's Roger Daltrey, that will also see appearances from Suede and Noel Gallagher.

After an opening set from Linda Perry-produced rock band Little Fish and an appeal and introduction from Daltrey about the charity, the band played for almost two hours.

Singer/guitarist Homme told the crowd, "What an absolute pleasure to see you all here this evening. London let its hair down for the right reason, huh?" before leading the band into 'No One Loves Me And Neither Do I'.

The supergroup went on to run through the majority of their self-titled debut album, plus unreleased song 'Highway One'. After single 'Mind Eraser, No Chaser' Homme looked over to former Led Zeppelin bassist Jones and quipped: "I think we're the heaviest thing here since you played here last, Jones."

Them Crooked Vultures played:

'No One Loves Me And Neither Do I'

'Dead End Friends'

'Scumbag Blues'

'Elephants'

'Highway One'

'New Fang'

'Gunman'

'Bandoliers'

'Mind Eraser, No Chaser'

'Caligulove'

'Interlude With Ludes'

'Spinning In Daffodils'

'Reptiles'

'Warsaw'

The show was watched by Arctic Monkeys' Alex Turner, his Last Shadow Puppets bandmate Miles Kane, Life On Mars actor Phillip Glenister and The IT Crowd stars Richard Ayoade and Matt Berry.

The Teenage Cancer Trust shows continue tonight (March 23) at the London venue with a comedy show including acts such as Noel Fielding and Jimmy Carr.

Meanwhile this year's Shockwaves NME Awards Big Gig will take place as part of the run, with this year's Teenage Cancer Trust Outstanding Contribution To Music recipents The Specials playing on March 29.

Arctic Monkeys, Noel Gallagher and The Who are among the other bands playing Teenage Cancer Trust shows this year. NME.COM will be bringing you full reports from the shows, while Absolute Radio will have live recordings and interviews from the gigs.

• Administrators

http://www.bbc.co.uk...3_tcv_tct.shtml

themcrookedvultures_reading.gif

Vultures rock the Albert Hall

Review: Team Grohl, Homme and Jones shake the hallowed Hall for charity

23/03/2010Rodrigo Davies

Having pulverised crowds from Blackpool to Glastonbury, it felt almost overdue for a band with the regal pedigrees of Them Crooked Vultures to grace the rarefied surroundings of the Royal Albert Hall.

The thoroughbred supergroup of Dave Grohl, Josh Homme and John Paul Jones kicked off the Teenage Cancer Trust's annual eight-night run of with the heaviest music to echo around the hallowed Hall since Jones came here with Led Zeppelin.

"There's a list of the legendary venues that you cross your fingers and some day hope you'll be able to play," Grohl told 6 Music news beforehand.

"This is definitely one of them. This might be at he top of the list."

Dave Grohl's not wrong to also suggest that even the most sceptical audiences experience a lapse of jaw control on seeing this quartet perform together for the first time, and supergroups are undoubtedly built for the big occasion.

Buckling down, there was scarcely a sign of Homme's usual swagger or Grohl's boyish sense of humour for the first song and a half.

The first glimpse came as the volley of riffs and drum rolls finally relented in the breakdown of Dead End Friends, allowing the crowd to swap nods for smiles and for Homme to corral some more outward displays of audience enthusiasm.

"One can't help wondering whether stages like this would be a fitting moment to wrap up this round of solos."

But Them Crooked Vultures are no rabble rousers in the vein of a band like Kasabian – who played the same stage almost exactly a year ago – and their sonic pummelling frequently felt more like a showcase than a participatory experience.

That's not to suggest, of course, that anyone who's ever been a fan of any of the members' constituent bands would object to a showcase of such staggeringly taut rock.

The chemistry between the band's members is so undeniable – together they seem a perfect choice to expose the home of the Proms to rock music that delights in polishing its own jagged edges.

One need only witness the brilliance of twin harmonic solos in Scumbag Blues, Grohl's astonishing rhythm changes or Alain Johannes casually employing four-finger neck picking for a desert blues vignette mid-set to realise that.

The only thing conceivably left in the tank was an encore, but with several songs clocking in well over the five minute mark the set list felt sufficiently muscular.

Crowds have gladly let Them Crooked Vultures get away with more than their fare share of magnum opuses and peculiar moments (like Homme's cabaret-esque vocals in Interlude w/ Ludes) in the past year, and as yet the novelty factor remains untarnished. It would be a shame to see even a speck of that chipped away through repetition.

Now we're seven months and an album on from the initial impact of such an imagination-capturing musical experiment, one can't help wondering whether stages like this would be a fitting moment to wrap up this round of solos, however impressive they are.

But for a date with Download festival in June, their Coachella festival slot next month would seem like an obvious time for the band to take a pause, a mere 20 miles from their Joshua Tree nest (as the vulture flies, of course).

That's not to write the epitaph of Them Crooked Vultures either - if the talent of its members is proven by anything, it's the way in which their musical projects have evolved so impressively over time.

More Grohl, Homme, Johannes and Jones please, just maybe not more of the same.

Set List:

Nobody Loves Me

Dead End Friends

Scumbag Blues

Elephants

Highway 1

New Fang

Gun Man

Bandoliers

Mind Eraser

Caligulove

Interlude w/ Ludes

Daffodils

Reptiles

Warsaw

After single 'Mind Eraser, No Chaser' Homme looked over to former Led Zeppelin bassist Jones and quipped: "I think we're the heaviest thing here since you played here last, Jones."

:D I love it. I LOOOOVE IT!

yeah it was pretty busy but its so intimate for such a large place its really hard to tell

there were alot of "foo" kids there, you could tell,,,the vultures are grooving and these kids are poncing about like Avril is playing her latest non-hit

DONT THEY KNOW WHO THAT MAN ON THE BASS IS?!?!?!?!?!?!

i am happy to say i have now seen the remaining Zep boys in the flesh, Plant 05 on the Mighy Rearranger tour, Page at the IMGL Premier and JPJ last night

Another great video of the Tabernacle. What a great venue for this awesome event.

TypeO, you may be able to see yourself in the audience?

reids, where were you?

Them Crooked Vultures - LIVE - No One Loves Me & Neither Do I

THEM CROOKED VULTURES To Perform On 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!'

THEM CROOKED VULTURES, consisting of John Paul Jones (LED ZEPPELIN), Dave Grohl (FOO FIGHTERS) and Josh Homme (QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE), will be the musical guest on ABC-TV's "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" on Monday, April 12 (which will actually air the morning of Tuesday, April 13) and Tuesday, April 13 (which will actually air the morning of Wednesday, April 14). Both performances will take place on the "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" Bud Light Golden Wheat Outdoor Stage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KJwJlx1Z9g

THEM CROOKED VULTURES To Perform On 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!'

THEM CROOKED VULTURES, consisting of John Paul Jones (LED ZEPPELIN), Dave Grohl (FOO FIGHTERS) and Josh Homme (QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE), will be the musical guest on ABC-TV's "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" on Monday, April 12 (which will actually air the morning of Tuesday, April 13) and Tuesday, April 13 (which will actually air the morning of Wednesday, April 14). Both performances will take place on the "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" Bud Light Golden Wheat Outdoor Stage.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=-KJwJlx1Z9g

What is that contraption that JPJ's playing?

During JPJ's piano solo at the gig I attended I couldn't help but imagine if Grohl started playing the beat that Bonzo played at the beginning of Jimmy's solo on the '77 versions of No Quarter, then Homme comes in with a crazy solo. :D

My imagination was running wild.

During JPJ's piano solo at the gig I attended I couldn't help but imagine if Grohl started playing the beat that Bonzo played at the beginning of Jimmy's solo on the '77 versions of No Quarter, then Homme comes in with a crazy solo. biggrin.gif

My imagination was running wild.

I thought of No Quarter, too, when JPJ performed his piano solo at the gig that I attended. And I did think about what it would have been like to witness Led Zeppelin playing No Quarter, back in the day. But I was thrilled to be there to see JPJ sit down at the keyboards and play that beautiful solo. I had to pinch myself to make sure that it was real, LOL.

I thought of No Quarter, too, when JPJ performed his piano solo at the gig that I attended. And I did think about what it would have been like to witness Led Zeppelin playing No Quarter, back in the day. But I was thrilled to be there to see JPJ sit down at the keyboards and play that beautiful solo. I had to pinch myself to make sure that it was real, LOL.

It was an amazing experience for me, to actually see one of the members of Zeppelin live in the flesh. Didn't think I would get the opportunity.

Archived