Authorized/reliable lyrics?

Bill M.

Does anybody know if there's ever been a definitive, AUTHORIZED source set of Led Zeppelin lyrics?

Please note that I am NOT asking for a random link to some spyware-filled lyrics page you found at the top of your favorite search engine's search results. Yes, I already know how to use a search engine.

The key word here is "authorized". When it comes to any band, most of the lyrics you find on the web and even in sheet music books are purely the results of fans, guessing by ear. Sometimes these seem correct, sometimes they're ridiculously wrong. But you can usually find the "real" lyrics if there's an official release that's sanctioned by the band (book, liner notes to an album that's not some weird import, etc.).

I know that official releases of Houses of the Holy came with a lyric sheet, and the 4th album had the lyrics to Stairway to Heaven. So I'd trust those. But as far as I know, those are the only times they ever included the lyrics on a release. Has there ever been an authorized release of lyrics elsewhere? As far as getting something second-best, I've found the lyrics in The Led Zeppelin Real Book to be more reliable than what I find on the web.

I have an ITTOD songbook, which says on the inside page "1980 Flames of Albion Music Inc., all rights reserved",and "Exclusive Selling Agent Warner Bros. Publications Inc." on the back cover. I would guess that this should be an authorized release, with fairly accurate lyrics. But even printed lyric sheets that come w/ the album can be suspect, like "high hopes hailla ball" on the HOTH album!

I have the "Authentic" Guitar Tab Edition of the music and lyrics from Mothership. Well, I assume it's "Authentic" because it says so on the cover?? It has the Mothership cover on the front and a couple of nice photos of the band inside.

(I'm learning to play guitar and my sister got this for me for my birthday. Wow! Talk about some complicated music! I told her it would be many, many years before I could actually play any of the songs. Sadly... :unsure: )

Please note that I am NOT asking for a random link to some spyware-filled lyrics page you found at the top of your favorite search engine's search results. Yes, I already know how to use a search engine.

Frankly, if anybody feels inclined to give you the information after you've smacked them with this attitude before they've even posted, then all I can say is they've got more saintly generosity than me.

Frankly, if anybody feels inclined to give you the information after you've smacked them with this attitude before they've even posted, then all I can say is they've got more saintly generosity than me.

Ha ha! Love it.

General advice/common sense to all: when asking of help from others, do so without the need to condescend/patronize.

Does anybody know if there's ever been a definitive, AUTHORIZED source set of Led Zeppelin lyrics?

The key word here is "authorized". When it comes to any band, most of the lyrics you find on the web and even in sheet music books are purely the results of fans, guessing by ear. Sometimes these seem correct, sometimes they're ridiculously wrong. But you can usually find the "real" lyrics if there's an official release that's sanctioned by the band (book, liner notes to an album that's not some weird import, etc.).

I know that official releases of Houses of the Holy came with a lyric sheet, and the 4th album had the lyrics to Stairway to Heaven. So I'd trust those. But as far as I know, those are the only times they ever included the lyrics on a release. Has there ever been an authorized release of lyrics elsewhere? As far as getting something second-best, I've found the lyrics in The Led Zeppelin Real Book to be more reliable than what I find on the web.

You might try amazon.com.

Search for the title, "Led Zeppelin Complete: Guitar" (Paperback), Superhype Publishing.

This songbook includes lyrics.

LedZeppelinCompleteGuitar.jpg

You may also look for this title, "Led Zeppelin (Acoustic Classics, Volume 2)" (Paperback),

imp2837a.jpg

and this one, " Led Zeppelin Classics (Authentic Guitar-Tab)" (Paperback)

417PD70aUpL__SS500_.jpg

I am not certain that these last two paperback publications include lyrics, but I know that the first one has lyrics.

The author's name for all three of these songbooks is Led Zeppelin.

Yup - catch more flies with honey than vinegar <_<

I'm here to collect information from knowledgeable individuals, not sugar-coat things for the pathetically over-sensitive and stupid.

Speaking of helpful individuals: thanks to Stargroves, Gigi, and Eternal light! Again, there seems to be some mystery as to what is truly "authorized" but you've all given me some good leads to check out.

I'm here to collect information from knowledgeable individuals, not sugar-coat things for the pathetically over-sensitive and stupid.

Speaking of helpful individuals: thanks to Stargroves, Gigi, and Eternal light! Again, there seems to be some mystery as to what is truly "authorized" but you've all given me some good leads to check out.

Thanks for referring to me as pathetic, over-sensitive and stupid.

I think stupid applies more to taking an approach to a request that will yield way fewer answers than it might have otherwise.

:D I agree with Reggie29

What, you're too good to sing them wrong like the rest of us? <_<

Yowza. You just get more endearing by the minute, don't ya?

When it comes to song lyrics, you have do some research and listening and use your own judgment as to what the lyrics really are. I also think figuring out the words to songs come easier with age (experience). There are songs that I use to not know the words to, that I haven't heard in years, but I can figure out the words now in one listening.

I've brought this notion up a time or two. I wish Plant would publish a book that provided the true words to each Led Zeppelin song as they were recorded. Barring any legal hassles of course.

(I've never read what I consider an accurate second verse to The Wanton Song)

I've brought this notion up a time or two. I wish Plant would publish a book that provided the true words to each Led Zeppelin song as they were recorded. Barring any legal hassles of course.

(I've never read what I consider an accurate second verse to The Wanton Song)

Archived