During Which album sessions did PPlant's voice sound the best?

kashmiran

Plant's voice was best during the recording of?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. note: Coda doesnt count because it has tracks from all periods

• Led Zeppelin
    • Led Zeppelin II
    • Led Zeppelin III
    • The Fourth Album
    • Houses of the Holy
    • Physical Graffiti
    • Presence
    • In Through the Out Door

Although HOTH is my overall favourite album, I like the way Robert's voice sounds during the recording of PG the best...that raspy tone always gets to me on tracks like Custard Pie and TU especially. LZ I would be my second pick...that raw power behind his voice is all too evident. THEN comes his HOTH voice.

Although HOTH is my overall favourite album, I like the way Robert's voice sounds during the recording of PG the best...that raspy tone always gets to me on tracks like Custard Pie and TU especially. LZ I would be my second pick...that raw power behind his voice is all too evident. THEN comes his HOTH voice.

Hahahaha I completley agree with you, my favorite album is Houses, but i love Plant's voice on PG on songs like Ten Years Gone, Trampled Under Foot, and Sick Again, and I also love the first album...his voice is so strong and powerful.

Hahahaha I completley agree with you, my favorite album is Houses, but i love Plant's voice on PG on songs like Ten Years Gone, Trampled Under Foot, and Sick Again, and I also love the first album...his voice is so strong and powerful.

Yeah, for me, it's his PG voice. I love HOTH,

but sometimes his voice got too annoying. When he fused his high pitch with the rawness and raspiness, it sounded phenomenal. The track that I think best represents this stage of his voice is definitely trampled underfoot. Plant alone owns this whole song with his voice. And listen to some of the headly grange bootleg sessions in 74, and some of this funky and groovy jam songs. Plants voice in the background is outstanding.

I just wish it would've stayed that way. I mean, WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED to his voice between those sessions and the tour?

If it's on YouTube of something, can someone provide a sample of the first 1975 tour show. I would love to hear his voice.

• 2 weeks later...

I seperate Plant into 2 catergories, high pitched girl like squeal & honey dripped sweetened voice. For the former he reached his peak on LZ3 on the latter which I like slightly better ITTOD. He just became a better singer by then on top of the change in his actual voice.

I find it ironic that the majority favors PG. At least as regards the songs actually recorded in 1974, Robert was recovering from throat surgery. Listening to the rough mixes of these songs (eg: Trampled Underfoot), he was anything but at the peak of his game. A lot of studio trickery brought about the final result. There are two distinct Plant periods. Up to HOTH, and PG-ITTOD (and beyond). I don't have a favorite myself. All of their albums are singular statements and carry their own moods. I can't pull one out and declare it superior.

I find it ironic that the majority favors PG. At least as regards the songs actually recorded in 1974, Robert was recovering from throat surgery. Listening to the rough mixes of these songs (eg: Trampled Underfoot), he was anything but at the peak of his game. A lot of studio trickery brought about the final result. There are two distinct Plant periods. Up to HOTH, and PG-ITTOD (and beyond). I don't have a favorite myself. All of their albums are singular statements and carry their own moods. I can't pull one out and declare it superior.

Indeed!

His voice in that era is Like...on the background. Much weaker.

comparing 1969 shows with (even)tsrts :rolleyes: ...better not.

The first two albums are my absolute peak vocal faves, quickly followed by the third and 4th albums. Then comes HOTH.

Obviously all that touring and bellowing to be heard alongside Bonzo, Pagey and Jonesy took it's toll by the time '73 onwards came along.

I really don't care too much for the majority of Plant's voice on the last two albums. Sorry, but I gotta be honest. Its just not the "Plant the absolute dog's bollocks rock singer to end all rock singers" voice that I hear.

PG has some great moments though, but mostly they are their earlier recorded leftover tracks.

Ten Years Gone is my favourite post '72 vocal performance. Without a doubt.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Up to the 4th album. I remember buying HOTH the week it came out and being shocked at how much Plant's voice had changed and even sounded speeded up particularly on The song remains the same.

I voted Led ZepII, bacause I think that here, on the whole, Plant's voice is almost perfect, a work of art...

But, for me, the true vocal pick is Since I've been loving you: Robert voice is so strong and full of despair...his shouts are somenthing that can enter into you and shake your soul...it's a primordial call...

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Oh definately Zep III!!!

The vocals are incredible, especially in Since I've been loving you!! It's my favourite song and it's just perfect!

And Zep I is also amazing in terms of power!!

But I find it amazing how he can sound different on every album and even on every song!! On the early albums, he changed his approach mostly out of artistic challenge, while latter on he had to change the approach because of vocal problems and he just knew how to use his voice in a new way, by incorporating the vocal problems in his singing style!

• 11 months later...

I love them all, but the first record ~Led Zeppelin is it. What is amazing is that Robert was 19 when they recorded that record. For someone that young to have that kind of sound was astounding. Communication Break Down....Wow!

To me, the sheer power demonstrated on LZ is just beyond words for my ears. He definitely studied the masters (e.g. Robert Johnson, Sonny Boy Williamson) because it came through via his vocal skills. Of course, it remained through LZII - HOTH; but, that first album knocked it out of the box for me.

To me, the sheer power demonstrated on LZ is just beyond words for my ears. He definitely studied the masters (e.g. Robert Johnson, Sonny Boy Williamson) because it came through via his vocal skills. Of course, it remained through LZII - HOTH; but, that first album knocked it out of the box for me.

I agree whole heartily. I am listening to the first one on vinyl and his voice is something else. I guess this is just a continuation of the "What is your favorite Zep moment". WLL should be called Whole Lotta Sex. biggrin.gif

Archived