Earthquake in Baja, California

eternal light

'Pretty Exciting Day'

Baja Quakes

Earthquake Footage from Mexico

earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/us2009

earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter

Posted: 03:42 PM ET

(CNN) — Four earthquakes — with magnitudes of 5.8, 6.9, 5.0 and 5.9 respectively — struck nearly next to each other in the Gulf of California, between the western Mexican states of Baja California and Sonora, the U.S. Geological Survey reported. There were no immediate reports of damage.

Two earthquakes hit within minutes of each other, just before 11 a.m. Pacific Daylight Time (2 p.m. ET). A third one hit about 30 minutes later and a fourth 10 minutes after that.

All four quakes occurred at a depth of about 6 miles, the USGS reported.

cnnwire.blogs.cnn.com/2009/08/03/four-earthquakes-hit-mexicos-gulf-of-california

It would have been nice if the entire Baja California peninsula just broke off and floated away... FAR AWAY!

Maybe save us from the plague of illegal aliens, drug smugglers and not to mention raw sewage that keeps on drifting north to our San Diego beaches.

Mexico is a very unpleasant place just in case some people didn't realize.

But I am glad that there were no injuries reported....

Probably because most of the inhabitants of that region ARE IN THE USA!!!

Thanks god there are no earthquakes here.

That one was pretty bad. 5.9 is bad, isn't it? :unsure:

Yeah, but the strongest one yesterday registered 6.9 on the Richter scale.

matter.org.uk/Schools/Content/Seismology/richterscale

Richter scale no...... 6.2 to 6.9

No. of earthquakes per year.....100

Typical effects of this magnitude....Much damage to buildings: chimneys fall, houses move on foundations.

laht.com/article.asp?ArticleId=340713&CategoryId=14091

Strong Quake Rocks Northwest Mexico

MEXICO CITY – A magnitude-6.9 earthquake occurred Monday in the Sea of Cortez in northwestern Mexico but caused no casualties, according to official sources.

The head of Mexico's National Seismological Service, Carlos Valdes, told Efe that the temblor, registered at 1:00 p.m. PDT (1800 GMT), had its epicenter between the islands of Angel de la Guarda and Tiburon.

The quake was felt in the states of Baja California and Sonora.

Authorities in Sonora "said there was no damage either in the capital (Hermosillo) or on the coast," national civil defense coordinator Laura Gurza said.

"In the state of Baja California there are very few towns," Valdes pointed out, adding that the epicenter was between 200 and 250 kilometers (124 and 155 miles) from Hermosillo and some 400 kilometers (248 miles) from Tijuana and Ensenada near the U.S. border. EFE

-Latin American Herald Tribune

Been there, done that. I lived in San Jose, CA when the 1989 7.1 quake hit the area. I was driving about 10 miles from the epicenter when it hit. Thought all 4 tires went flat, then I realized all the other cars were weaving too. That, and the boulders coming down the hill behind me pretty much assured me it wasn't a tire issue. :lol:

Thanks god there are no earthquakes here.

That one was pretty bad. 5.9 is bad, isn't it? :unsure:

Grew up my whole life in California. A 5.9 might freak you out in Serbia sweetheart, but it won't get me out of bed! I've rode out a 7 and kept eating my pancakes! If it breaks the dishes, I'm pissed I have to buy new dishes. I'd be much more afraid of an invading army than an earthquake. I mean no disrespect my Serbian freind. I'm ignorant of what really frightens you, but as an experienced earthquake rider, I can only imagine what you've ridden is much worse!

Hugs, Ev

Been there, done that. I lived in San Jose, CA when the 1989 7.1 quake hit the area. I was driving about 10 miles from the epicenter when it hit. Thought all 4 tires went flat, then I realized all the other cars were weaving too. That, and the boulders coming down the hill behind me pretty much assured me it wasn't a tire issue. :lol:

Loma Prieta? My friends' house fell off its stilts on that one!

Grew up my whole life in California. A 5.9 might freak you out in Serbia sweetheart, but it won't get me out of bed! I've rode out a 7 and kept eating my pancakes! If it breaks the dishes, I'm pissed I have to buy new dishes. I'd be much more afraid of an invading army than an earthquake. I mean no disrespect my Serbian freind. I'm ignorant of what really frightens you, but as an experienced earthquake rider, I can only imagine what you've ridden is much worse!

Hugs, Ev

:hysterical:

I'm sorry, I had to do it. You don't know how many times I've heard: Is the war still on in Serbia? Are people still being shot in the streets? Do the terrorists kick your door and order you to leave your home?

The real sh*t happened in Bosnia, Kosovo, Albania (and Serbia, and Croatia). I have only experienced one war-NATO bombing in '99. That made me hate America (not anymore! Don't get pissed) as all of the kids here. We hated all American guys 'cause they blew up the brigde on 1st of April (great joke)

Back to the story, I could never imagine an earthquake, actually, thinking of an earthquake brings me the pictures of destroyed San Francisco back in 190(6?)... Terrifying.

Been through two earthquakes that I can remember in England. They were, I'm presuming, relatively mild considering how bad they've been known to be elsewhere in the world. Last year's was 5.2 on the scale and, since it was the middle of the night, it was quite scary. I could feel it enough for the house to shake and one of my shelves collapsed from it. Crap went everywhere. I honestly thought the roof would fall in. The only other time it happened it wasn't as bad, but it still shakes you up a bit. Especially considering the UK isn't exactly known for its earthquakes. The handy thing, though, is that I live literally facing the British Geological Survey (BGS), so when this shit happens and the media comes rolling into the village we're usually the first to know how bad the earthquake was.

I read they felt it in highrises in San Diego, shook about 5 seconds.

Damn.

:unsure:

Didn't feel it, myself, but yep, the newspaper said other people did. I'm glad it didn't cause any damage in Mexico.

Seriously, guys, unless it's one huge sucker, earthquakes are not that bad, and the big ones do not happen that often. I'd MUCH rather live here than in hurricane country, let me tell you. At least if your house falls down, all your stuff is still in your yard instead of down the street somewhere.

Yeah, you just never know. I've been through many in Cali and the biggest was 6.0 here in SLC.

But..I grew up with a paranoia about them, since we always had drills for them and when they taught "earthquakes" (lol) they made it sound like the mountains would come crashing down on the valley, and the earth would just open up along the Wasatch Fault. That was my first brain imprint of an earthquake. So, it was scary, but I've never been in a big one.

I hear ya about hurricanes. :run: Or tornado alley.

I've heard predictions that there will be a quake off the Oregon Coast and it will cause a huge tsunami. :unsure:

Crazy talk radio stuff. But I suppose anything's possible.

Yeah, you just never know. I've been through many in Cali and the biggest was 6.0 here in SLC.

But..I grew up with a paranoia about them, since we always had drills for them and when they taught "earthquakes" (lol) they made it sound like the mountains would come crashing down on the valley, and the earth would just open up along the Wasatch Fault. That was my first brain imprint of an earthquake. So, it was scary, but I've never been in a big one.

I've heard predictions that there will be a quake off the Oregon Coast and it will cause a huge tsunami. :unsure:

It has happened before in 1700.

Disaster! Earthquake in Chile.Tsunami in Japan/Hawaii 1960

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN6EgMMrhdI-

"Two survivors of a Mega Tsunami tell their stories of the day the 1/2km high wave hit Lituya Bay."

Oddly, Angi grew up in Wisconsin (that's not the odd part). She never saw a tornado (despite a lifetime of warnings) until she moved to California! I jumped in the truck and chased it!

I remember her first earthquake. I was laying in the bed saying "Okay, here we go! Ride it baby!" and laughing my ass off. She was NOT amused. :lol:

Yeah, I remember the drills in school. Duck and cover. I lived right on the piece that's supposed to fall into the ocean! Now I'm in Vegas, waiting for the waves to hit my new beachfront property! :lol:

Personally, I love earthquakes. Any shake that doesn't bring the roof down on my head is one less Big One down the road! "There ya go babe. Rock me gently!".

Oddly, Angi grew up in Wisconsin (that's not the odd part). She never saw a tornado (despite a lifetime of warnings) until she moved to California! I jumped in the truck and chased it!

I remember her first earthquake. I was laying in the bed saying "Okay, here we go! Ride it baby!" and laughing my ass off. She was NOT amused. :lol:

Yeah, I remember the drills in school. Duck and cover. I lived right on the piece that's supposed to fall into the ocean! Now I'm in Vegas, waiting for the waves to hit my new beachfront property! :lol:

Personally, I love earthquakes. Any shake that doesn't bring the roof down on my head is one less Big One down the road! "There ya go babe. Rock me gently!".

:lol:B)

There have been some odd things happening in the last 10 or so years. We aren't known to have real tornadoes either, but one time one blew strong right through downtown...headed for the temple...missed, went on to scare the crap out of downtowners. :lol:

We get funnel clouds out in the desert, but they fizzle. This June though...those storms we had were really intense, dark almost black clouds and as soon as they got over the Rockies they caused tornadoes in Colorado.

That's funny about Angi's first. I recall riding in bed several times out there, and yeah, you just kind of roll with it. I was preggers with my first born when we had many in the San Jose area. I just grabbed my crackers (morning sickness) and hoped the bed didn't move too much.

This stuff fascinates me though. Yes EL...the threat is real....just a matter of when.

You're just really f%$ed in a tsunami. A wall of water coming and nowhere to go. Scary!

I check out Nat Geo's site a lot, always cool stuff, and they are having a cool exploration of the Earth minus water. You should check it out. It shows a very deep canyon of the coast of Monterey.

:lol:B)

There have been some odd things happening in the last 10 or so years. We aren't known to have real tornadoes either, but one time one blew strong right through downtown...headed for the temple...missed, went on to scare the crap out of downtowners. :lol:

We get funnel clouds out in the desert, but they fizzle. This June though...those storms we had were really intense, dark almost black clouds and as soon as they got over the Rockies they caused tornadoes in Colorado.

That's funny about Angi's first. I recall riding in bed several times out there, and yeah, you just kind of roll with it. I was preggers with my first born when we had many in the San Jose area. I just grabbed my crackers (morning sickness) and hoped the bed didn't move too much.

This stuff fascinates me though. Yes EL...the threat is real....just a matter of when.

You're just really f%$ed in a tsunami. A wall of water coming and nowhere to go. Scary!

I check out Nat Geo's site a lot, always cool stuff, and they are having a cool exploration of the Earth minus water. You should check it out. It shows a very deep canyon of the coast of Monterey.

geology.com/records/biggest-tsunami

The largest recorded tsunami was a wave 1720 feet tall in Lituya Bay, Alaska.

environment.nationalgeographic.com/environment/natural-disasters/tsunami-profile

Archived