Is it true that Keith Moon named Led Zeppelin?

icantquityoubabe

Also, why doesn't the town of Reading in Berkshire change its name to Redding in Barksher to stop American tourists getting confused?

Ha, Americans can't make up their minds if it's "New Orlins" or "New Orleeens"... And neither one of those pronunciations is anything like the original French which would be "Orley-an"

I guess they don't change the name of Reading because, well, probably, Brits and the Europeans thoroughly enjoy watching American tourists wandering around completely confused.

I remember a Danish girl once said to me "You can always tell if there's a group of Americans in the vicinity because they're always the loudest". And from my days as a tour bus driver, I have to sort of agree with her, the Americans did always seem to be slightly louder than other groups. And a bit pushier too...

• 10 years later...
On 7/3/2018 at 1:52 PM, Zufo said:

Does anyone know what book quotes Jimmy Page saying we could have called ourselves "the potatoes" or something like that - I am looking for this quote in print  -Thanks  Zufo

IMG_3930.JPG

I can't find a source book but this was quoted from an 1998 interview with Page and Plant with James Woodall:

https://theartsdesk.com/new-music/theartsdesk-qa-musicians-robert-plant-and-jimmy-page - quote is about mid-way through.

Any clues about the source of the “lead balloon” joke?

PAGE: It was Keith Moon.

I’ve heard it was John Entwhistle. [The Who’s bassist died in 2002.]

PAGE: Oh, I don’t really mind. I mean, all I know is that I heard it from Keith Moon, it could well have been Entwhistle’s joke, it could have been Uncle Tom Cobbley’s, and we could have been called The Potatoes and it still would have happened.

oh and by the way - FANTASTIC photo!

LZ77  -  thanks - the pic below was created in the darkroom - I used salt on top of the photographic paper to creat the "starry sky" - I then placed a opaque disc on top of the paper before exposing the negative - this left a white circle on the photograph which I then painted with ink to make it look like the moon - the clouds at the bottom we're taken from a separate negative and printed by "dogging and burning" onto the photographic paper - unbeknownst to me a bootlegger bought the original art and used it on this live bootleg album cover - there are two separate versions - the first version the bootleggers didn't paste the cover to the album sleeve - the second version the cover was pasted onto the sleeve - The first version is rare - shrink wrap kept the paper cover from falling out - only 500 of the first issue were released - the second version you can find on eBay for about $50 - I caught up with the bootlegger much later in LA and he told me the story - the covers were printed in LA -  the vinyl was pressed in LA too - the info on the cover was printed to mislead the Feds - my original photograph was taken at The Forum 1977 - I had a six row seat in front of JP that night - 🌜👁🌛IMG_1617.JPG.f66e440aaddb2ee385be76fc4f1f4dec.JPG

LZ77 - got your PM - thanks a lot my friend - do you have this fanzine - my photo of John Bonham and Keith Moon printed bottom left - at least they gave me photo credit so that's cool - I can't find any photographs of this historic rock and roll event where you can see both of these two great drummers actually playing live together - this never happened before or after - Where was Neal Preston? - I don't think he was there that night - I was there! ️👁IMG_3105.JPG.dd162053e7e76ec18d4ab0b8f5518b9f.JPG

On 7/12/2018 at 10:35 AM, zeplz71 said:

few more from the timeline

moon_bonham77_0.jpg

la6-23-77-3_0.jpg

this one is amazing! Moon actually on the kit with Bonzo watching

la6-23-77-2_0.jpg

6-23-77-4_0.jpg

moon-bonham_la77_gcarnes_0.jpg

la6-23-77-1_0.jpg

There's a few more in Ross Halfin's book by another photographer.

Great pics fo the happening!   Can you remember just how long Keith played during Moby Dick?

Archived