FOR WOMEN ONLY

slave to zep

hi there ladies

just wanted to ask those of you that may be going through menopause or have completed .... did you get really bad period pains just before menopause? yesterday i had the most awful pain that lasted nearly 2 hours. i really feel as though it is ovulation pain, though that is meant to be impossible during your period! but i swear i can FEEL that egg moving out of the ovary and making its' little trek .... i get it almost every period on the first day or so, each time the same .... i have no idea if i am approaching menopause or not, but i turned 50 this year, so it can't be far away.

anyone else experienced this?

Hi slave..

Painful ovulation, aka Mittelschmerz syndrome. Something I am very familiar with personally. It occurs when the ovary releases the egg during ovulation, and the ovary remains open just enough for fluid to accumulate, causing pain. This can be quite intense, I know. Oral contraception may help, since birth control pills prevent ovulation. Your choice. I have also found that exercise helps.

My cycle is like clockwork, usually 9-11 days in, so I can prepare with Advil.

Menstrual cramps that are severe can be many things, including endometriosis. We are very complicated creatures, aren't we? I do not believe either of these are menopause related, but I could be wrong.

Hope this helps, sweetie!

:-)

Edited by planted

i used to, but after it caused a deep vein thrombosis in my leg, i no longer can.

Whoa, is that a common side effect, slave? I have a friend and she said taking birth control helped with her heavy cramps and mood swings and that she put her daughter on the pill when she was 12 or 13 because of the same reason.

Now I'm wondering if they'll be more susceptible to blood clots?

Whoa, is that a common side effect, slave? I have a friend and she said taking birth control helped with her heavy cramps and mood swings and that she put her daughter on the pill when she was 12 or 13 because of the same reason.

Now I'm wondering if they'll be more susceptible to blood clots?

it states clearly on the pack info ( which i never read ) that it is a risk. the other causes can be from air travel, injury, and i think smoking too. i was lucky that it was caught before it went to the heart/lung/brain as they are deadly.

your friend and her daughter shouldn't take it for long stints, and they shouldn't smoke while on it.

Smoking while taking BCP increases a risk for clots, but clots can be caused by other underlying conditions, like Factor V, etc.

BCP are prescribed for a variety of hormone and hematology related disorders, and should be closely monitored by ones medical practitioner.

I was on BCP for over 20 years, event free, so far.

Smoking while taking BCP increases a risk for clots, but clots can be caused by other underlying conditions, like Factor V, etc.

BCP are prescribed for a variety of hormone and hematology related disorders, and should be closely monitored by ones medical practitioner.

I was on BCP for over 20 years, event free, so far.

what is factor v? i have never heard of that.

i am glad you haven't had any problems planted, but it can and did happen to me. the doc said the reason i got the dvt was being on the pill too long. i have never smoked.

what is factor v? i have never heard of that.

i am glad you haven't had any problems planted, but it can and did happen to me. the doc said the reason i got the dvt was being on the pill too long. i have never smoked.

Gosh, I just re read my post. I sounded like a jerk, sorry about that!

:)

no you didn't!

but i still want to know what factor v is ....

Thank you Juliet! I was trying to assure planted that she didn't sound like a jerk and I'm relieved you felt the same way.

Anyway, I'm no medical expert, but since we're both DVT brother and sister in arms, I was curious about this Factor V myself. Here's a good info site I found:

http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/factor-v-leiden-thrombophilia

Here's the section that deals with risks related to oral contraception.

What genes are related to factor V Leiden rombophilia?

A particular mutation in the F5 gene causes factor V Leiden thrombophilia. The F5 gene provides instructions for making a protein called coagulation factor V. This protein plays a critical role in the coagulation system, which is a series of chemical reactions that forms blood clots in response to injury. The coagulation system is controlled by several proteins, including a protein called activated protein C (APC). APC normally inactivates coagulation factor V, which slows down the clotting process and prevents clots from growing too large. However, in people with factor V Leiden thrombophilia, coagulation factor V cannot be inactivated normally by APC. As a result, the clotting process remains active longer than usual, increasing the chance of developing abnormal blood clots. Other factors also increase the risk of developing blood clots in people with factor V Leiden thrombophilia. These factors include increasing age, obesity, injury, surgery, smoking, pregnancy, and the use of oral contraceptives (birth control pills) or hormone replacement therapy. The risk of abnormal clots is also much higher in people who have a combination of the factor V Leiden mutation and another mutation in the F5 gene. Additionally, the risk is increased in people who have the factor V Leiden mutation together with a mutation in another gene involved in the coagulation system.

Edited by Strider

Thank you Juliet! I was trying to assure planted that she didn't sound like a jerk and I'm relieved you felt the same way.

Anyway, I'm no medical expert, but since we're both DVT brother and sister in arms, I was curious about this Factor V myself. Here's a good info site I found:

http://ghr.nlm.nih.g...n-thrombophilia

Here's the section that deals with risks related to oral contraception.

What genes are related to factor V Leiden rombophilia?

A particular mutation in the F5 gene causes factor V Leiden thrombophilia. The F5 gene provides instructions for making a protein called coagulation factor V. This protein plays a critical role in the coagulation system, which is a series of chemical reactions that forms blood clots in response to injury. The coagulation system is controlled by several proteins, including a protein called activated protein C (APC). APC normally inactivates coagulation factor V, which slows down the clotting process and prevents clots from growing too large. However, in people with factor V Leiden thrombophilia, coagulation factor V cannot be inactivated normally by APC. As a result, the clotting process remains active longer than usual, increasing the chance of developing abnormal blood clots. Other factors also increase the risk of developing blood clots in people with factor V Leiden thrombophilia. These factors include increasing age, obesity, injury, surgery, smoking, pregnancy, and the use of oral contraceptives (birth control pills) or hormone replacement therapy. The risk of abnormal clots is also much higher in people who have a combination of the factor V Leiden mutation and another mutation in the F5 gene. Additionally, the risk is increased in people who have the factor V Leiden mutation together with a mutation in another gene involved in the coagulation system.

thanks strider, it's clear as mud now ..... lol :)

when and what part of the body did you have the blood clot?

no you didn't!

but i still want to know what factor v is ....

Hi slave,

I was just expressing how I felt after I re-read my reply to you. I thought an apology was the right thing to do.

Chances are, if you have never heard of Factor V you don't have it, so it's a moot point. I hope I didn't cause any alarm. I guess I got carried away.

Have a great weekend.

Hi slave,

I was just expressing how I felt after I re-read my reply to you. I thought an apology was the right thing to do.

Chances are, if you have never heard of Factor V you don't have it, so it's a moot point. I hope I didn't cause any alarm. I guess I got carried away.

Have a great weekend.

honestly, you didn't say anything out of place :)

have a great weekend too!

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't been feeling too well this weekend as I am suffering from a self inflicted gall bladder attack. I don't this is is just a woman problem, but it is more common in the ladies if I have read it right on the net. I don't think it is a gall stone or I would be in a lot more pain and have more symptom, just a lot of discomfort in the general area of the gall bladder. The self inflicted part is that on Wednesday before the movie the hubby and I grabbed a quick dinner at the mall. I opted for Panda Express and the orange chicken just called out to me even thought I don't usually get it as it is fried and I try to stay away from overly fried foods. Small twinges that I ignored Thursday and Friday I followed up with a cheeseburger for lunch and pizza for dinner. Too much for my ole body to handle Friday night I could not sleep very well from the discomfort.

So now I am pretty much on a liquid and soft diet. Lot's of water, juice (I read that apple was the best) and teas. Had potato soup for dinner last night. Probably opt for oatmeal this morning instead of the usual sausage and eggs.

Anybody else get this and how do you treat it?

^^^

Oh dear Ledzepfvr, I am horrified to hear about this...it sounds painful. I've never had problems with my bladder so unfortunately I cannot be of help to you regarding remedies or advice. I just want to wish you well and hope you are on the road to recovery soon. :console:

Edited by Strider

Haven't been feeling too well this weekend as I am suffering from a self inflicted gall bladder attack. I don't this is is just a woman problem, but it is more common in the ladies if I have read it right on the net. I don't think it is a gall stone or I would be in a lot more pain and have more symptom, just a lot of discomfort in the general area of the gall bladder. The self inflicted part is that on Wednesday before the movie the hubby and I grabbed a quick dinner at the mall. I opted for Panda Express and the orange chicken just called out to me even thought I don't usually get it as it is fried and I try to stay away from overly fried foods. Small twinges that I ignored Thursday and Friday I followed up with a cheeseburger for lunch and pizza for dinner. Too much for my ole body to handle Friday night I could not sleep very well from the discomfort.

So now I am pretty much on a liquid and soft diet. Lot's of water, juice (I read that apple was the best) and teas. Had potato soup for dinner last night. Probably opt for oatmeal this morning instead of the usual sausage and eggs.

a doctor once told me that i was in the range for it the three "F"s .... fat, forty and female lol not that i was overweight that much at the time, but the dr said that it was more common for women in their 40s, and worse if they were overweight and din't exercise.

not that i am saying that about you, though!

Hi ledzepfvr, My best friend just had her gall bladder removed over the summer, it was only working to 10% of what it was supposed to. She's in her 40's, but definitely not fat and exercises 5 days a week, so I don't know what brought it on . . . But her doctor told her until she could have the surgery and for a few weeks/months after she should stay away from all fatty foods and limit butter, olive oils, creams, etc. when cooking and don't eat anything that has 4 legs (beef, pork, lamb) - if it has fins or feathers its ok.

Just thought I'd pass this on for what it's worth. Hope you get some relief and hopefully you won't have to stick to a liquid diet, that's terrible.

Hi ledzepfvr, My best friend just had her gall bladder removed over the summer, it was only working to 10% of what it was supposed to. She's in her 40's, but definitely not fat and exercises 5 days a week, so I don't know what brought it on . . . But her doctor told her until she could have the surgery and for a few weeks/months after she should stay away from all fatty foods and limit butter, olive oils, creams, etc. when cooking and don't eat anything that has 4 legs (beef, pork, lamb) - if it has fins or feathers its ok.

Just thought I'd pass this on for what it's worth. Hope you get some relief and hopefully you won't have to stick to a liquid diet, that's terrible.

My mom had the same; had her gall bladder removed.

Ledzepfvr: Our doctor friend said that it is usually caused by eating junk food, and it building up in the gall bladder. My mom was hospitalized for a week, and when she came home, she was ordered to stay in bed as much as possible for about 3 weeks. It can be very serious if you're not taking care of your internal organs! If this bile clogs up too much, that's when it forms the gallstones, which are even more painful than when the bladder has to be removed entirely. Some great things to keep your liver and gallbladder healthy are some detoxes, like milk thistle. Something to stay away from are cholesterol-lowering drugs, because they actually increase the risk of gallstones!!

The best thing to do is have a diet rich in fiber and greens - lots of vegetables and fruits; also nuts which contain high levels of good fats!!

Thanks all for your input.

Boy, I hope I don't get to the point of having to have it removed. I have been feeling better. The attack lasted about 24 hours and I have changed my eating for I don't know for how long. I do fit the 3 Fs, female, over 40 and fat by health standards. I didn't really eat a lot of junk food. I had hit a bad number though about 3 weeks ago and had already started to change things. No alcohol during the week and now none at all indefinitely. No desserts, i e excess sugar. Maybe a cookie or something on the weekend. I have cut out meat since the attack. Drinking lots of juices and teas. I used to take milk thistle a few years ago to support my liver ( I had hepatitis in my 20's) and will probably go back to that. Now I just need a personal trainer to kick my ass off the couch and get some exercise in. I have a hard time getting motivated in that area. I used to walk on my break at work but quite a while back because of the heat. I just have to find a way to work on that.

Thanks all for your input.

Boy, I hope I don't get to the point of having to have it removed. I have been feeling better. The attack lasted about 24 hours and I have changed my eating for I don't know for how long. I do fit the 3 Fs, female, over 40 and fat by health standards. I didn't really eat a lot of junk food. I had hit a bad number though about 3 weeks ago and had already started to change things. No alcohol during the week and now none at all indefinitely. No desserts, i e excess sugar. Maybe a cookie or something on the weekend. I have cut out meat since the attack. Drinking lots of juices and teas. I used to take milk thistle a few years ago to support my liver ( I had hepatitis in my 20's) and will probably go back to that. Now I just need a personal trainer to kick my ass off the couch and get some exercise in. I have a hard time getting motivated in that area. I used to walk on my break at work but quite a while back because of the heat. I just have to find a way to work on that.

Glad you're feeling better! Cutting back on rich fatty foods and eliminating red meat should help. It should also help you loose a few lbs. It helped my friend. She looked good before her attack, but now she's downright skinny!!!!!

I know what you mean about needing the personal trainer! Lord, it's so hard to get motivated. For years I was really diligent and made exercising a priority. Geez, I was even one of those crazy people that would exercise on vacation! So not like me, but I was motivated to get in shape and make exercising a permanent part of my life. But for the last year or so, since my mom passed away, I just stopped and can't for the life of me get started again, and my body is showing the neglect. I'm in my 50's and I'm afraid it's just going to be so much harder to get back where I was . . . if I even can. Maybe we could motivate each other on this thread . . .

For years I was really diligent and made exercising a priority. Geez, I was even one of those crazy people that would exercise on vacation! So not like me, but I was motivated to get in shape and make exercising a permanent part of my life. But for the last year or so, since my mom passed away, I just stopped and can't for the life of me get started again, and my body is showing the neglect. I'm in my 50's and I'm afraid it's just going to be so much harder to get back where I was . . . if I even can. Maybe we could motivate each other on this thread . . .

Hi ladies,

Glad you are getting well ledzepfvr.

justawoman, I am sorry to hear about your mother, I always push the thought out of my mind when I think about how my parents are getting on in years.

I am "one of those crazy people" who must exercise, I feel bad taking one day a week off, but I have to force myself. When choosing a hotel if I travel, one of the first things is making sure they have a fitness center, so I can relate.

I know it is hard to get back on track, but if it used to be a part of your life, you can do it again. I wouldn't mind participating in a "fitness thread".

Cheers.