FOR WOMEN ONLY

slave to zep

I'm using noxzema right now and I think it might be making the dryness worse. I'm wondering since I don't have an acne problem, is the face wash to harsh (seeing as it's for acne), and possibly causing the redness? I do have some blackheads though, are there any recommended astringents?

There's different formulas of Noxzema. If you have dry skin, they have a specific cleanser for dry skin, same with oily skin and normal skin. Try the one for dry skin and see if it helps.

Face washes that are meant to deal with acne have salicylic acid in it, which can dry the skin out. If you don't have acne, I would stop using it. See how your skin reacts to say, a couple weeks of using a completely different face wash. If you see marked improvement, then you'll know what was causing it.

For blackheads, I use Clean & Clear's Deep Cleaning Astringent. I found that of all the Clinique products I use, their astringent didn't do what I needed it to, so I tried another brand.

When I was a teenager I used Hydrogen Peroxide to wash my face and rarely had a pimple and I had very oily skin then. Sometimes the cheapest remedy is the best. :)

A few years ago my Grandmother gave me witch-hazel, and that worked pretty good. But I haven't seen that in any store lately. To my grandparents, it was one of those things that would cure anything that ails ya. Kind of like Campho phenique. Which, speaking of, is kind of what noxzema smells like.

A few years ago my Grandmother gave me witch-hazel, and that worked pretty good. But I haven't seen that in any store lately. To my grandparents, it was one of those things that would cure anything that ails ya. Kind of like Campho phenique. Which, speaking of, is kind of what noxzema smells like.

Witch-hazel used to be much-touted as an astringent, when I was a teenager. I wasn't sure what I needed an astringent for, but it said so in all the mags so I used it anyway! :rolleyes:

Women are strange creatures. My girlfriend is alwasy suffering some ailment or other and this last year alone she's had to have two hospital operations. I, on the other hand, never seem to suffer from anything. I keep joking that the one time I finally get something wrong with me I'll probably die. :(

^that's because men NEVER go to the freakin' doctor!

Guilty. I haven't been for over 20 years. Probably 25. Ooooops.

When I was on Accutane, my skin and lips were so dry that I went through an entire tube of chapstick a week. I should have bought stock, eh?

You MUST be related to my girlfriend. She can eat Blistex for breakfast. What is it with women and dry lips? Does lipstick take out the lip moisture or something? Beats me. I don't know.

You MUST be related to my girlfriend. She can eat Blistex for breakfast. What is it with women and dry lips? Does lipstick take out the lip moisture or something? Beats me. I don't know.

I have a tube of Burt's Bees lip balm in every purse, gym bag, bathroom drawer, etc. :)

:huh: That sounds painful. Did you use it as an astringent?

Hydrogen peroxide =/= rubbing alcohol. The latter burns, the former doesn't. Hydrogen peroxide bubbles. My mom used to use it to sterilize cuts and scraped knees when my sister and I were little. It would just bubble and fizz like an Alka-Seltzer.

Hydrogen peroxide =/= rubbing alcohol. The latter burns, the former doesn't. Hydrogen peroxide bubbles. My mom used to use it to sterilize cuts and scraped knees when my sister and I were little. It would just bubble and fizz like an Alka-Seltzer.

Yeah, but peroxide still stings a little on that skinned knee...

It's fun to pour down the drain & listen to it crackle... :P

Back to topic, I'll try that; I've got a ton of peroxide around my house

I'm using noxzema right now and I think it might be making the dryness worse. I'm wondering since I don't have an acne problem, is the face wash to harsh (seeing as it's for acne), and possibly causing the redness? I do have some blackheads though, are there any recommended astringents?

Have you tried using a cleanser for Sensitive skin??

One thing I use for a cheap facial scrub--Mix a bit of table sugar into your regular soap so that it's a thick paste & then apply in a circular motion.

Have you tried using a cleanser for Sensitive skin??

One thing I use for a cheap facial scrub--Mix a bit of table sugar into your regular soap so that it's a thick paste & then apply in a circular motion.

That does sound like it works. But I actually went and bought a mild facial bar of soap, and a jar of ponds moisturizer. Altogether about 6 bucks. My face feels better already. I never really had sensitive skin before, but it could have possibly resulted from pregnancy. That has some unusual long term effects on your body. (Somewhat long term, it's been a year).

sorry for neglecting the thread .........

do we want to discuss hair care?

i have been using good old pantene shampoos and conditioners for about 10 years now. i try new ones now and again when they come on the market, but i haven't found one better than pantene, and it's not expensive, which is a great bonus. i just cut quite a bit off the length of my hair the other day, as i hadn't done that in ages, and it really needed it! my hair grows so fast, which is annoying, cos i have to touch up the roots every few weeks!

what are your favourite products?

sorry for neglecting the thread .........

do we want to discuss hair care?

i have been using good old pantene shampoos and conditioners for about 10 years now. i try new ones now and again when they come on the market, but i haven't found one better than pantene, and it's not expensive, which is a great bonus. i just cut quite a bit off the length of my hair the other day, as i hadn't done that in ages, and it really needed it! my hair grows so fast, which is annoying, cos i have to touch up the roots every few weeks!

what are your favourite products?

Hi S2Z,

How much would a "Cockney" like me pay for shampoo do you suppose?

Regards, Danny

Hi S2Z,

How much would a "Cockney" like me pay for shampoo do you suppose?

Regards, Danny

hmmmm well, with those long, flowing locks of yours it could be quite expensive. maybe you could get that little witch moonmaid to brew up a special formula..... where has hse gone ......?

hmmmm well, with those long, flowing locks of yours it could be quite expensive. maybe you could get that little witch moonmaid to brew up a special formula..... where has hse gone ......?

Hi S2Z,

I havent heard a word from "Moonmaid" in weeks, i even sent her 1000 Red Roses for her birthday and i still havent had a reply, my bet is that she "Made It" with Jimmy and thats the last we'll see of her untill he dumps her, but i'll be waiting like the "Fool in the Rain" that i am. :lol:

Anyway, the answer to my question is this,

Q, How much does a Cockney pay for Shampoo?

A, Pan-Tene.

Regards, Danny