Top Five (5) Robert Plant Solo Songs.

lzzoso

My top 5 favorite Robert Plant solo songs are: (in chronological order):

1. Big Log (Principle Of Moments)

2. Easily Lead (Shaken 'N Stirred)

3. Big Love (Manic Nirvana)

4. I Cried (Manic Nirvana)

5. Calling to You (Fate of Nations)

Of course I have more to choose from, however, if I had to choose only five, I think these would be them.

Oh geez, only 5? That is SO hard!

Not nec. in order:

1. Song to the Siren

2. Darkness Darkness

3. All the King's Horses

4. Ship of Fools

5. tie between Come Into My Life & I Believe

Oh my goodness: just thinking about those 6 songs makes me lightheaded. :wub:

I think I'll listen to one of them now as I go to bed...probably Siren, Horses, or Ship of Fools, as they stay fairly mellow throughout. Happy sigh. :)

Edited by ZeppyNetters

1. Heaven Knows

2. I Believe

3. If I Were a Carpenter (it's a cover, but I love it)

4. Shine It All Around

5. Nothin' (I guess I'm allowed to use a RP/AK song? His voice is amazing on that track.)

My top 5 favorite Robert Plant solo songs are: (in chronological order):

1. Big Log (Principle Of Moments)

2. Easily Lead (Shaken 'N Stirred)

3. Big Love (Manic Nirvana)

4. I Cried (Manic Nirvana)

5. Calling to You (Fate of Nations)

Of course I have more to choose from, however, if I had to choose only five, I think these would be them.

How's it going "lzzoso?" I hope all is well with you. I love all of ROBERT PLANT'S solo albums but I like his earlier stuff such as:

(1.) Sea Of Love - The Honeydrippers

(2.) Burning Down One Side - Pictures At Eleven

(3.) Moonlight In Samosa - Pictures At Eleven

(4.) Like I've Never Been Gone - Pictures At Eleven

(5.) Worse Than Detroit - Pictures At Eleven

To be truthful with you, my favorite ROBERT PLANT album is the PICTURES AT ELEVEN album from 1982. I love all of the songs on that album. ROCK ON my friend!

Moonlight in Samosa and Colours of a Shade are two of my favorites as well :D

I LOVE Moonlight in Samosa (those descending triads are amazing-he makes it sound so easy)

Someeone else had Young Boy Blues on their list-that is definitely my favorite track on the Honeydrippers cd.

Maybe we should change this to top 10 songs-5 is too hard!

I agree with Ahmet a 2nd Honeydrippers cd would be great, this time a longer album, because even the Nine Lives version is too short. And/or make a Priory of Brion cd available. I'd also love to get a cd from Robert's pre-Zep days. I know there were a couple tracks on 66 to Timbuktu, but I'd like a whole album. I'd prefer not to buy any bootlegs.

Edited by ZeppyNetters

Oh geez, only 5? That is SO hard!

Not nec. in order:

1. Song to the Siren

2. Darkness Darkness

3. All the King's Horses

4. Ship of Fools

5. tie between Come Into My Life & I Believe

Oh my goodness: just thinking about those 6 songs makes me lightheaded. :wub:

I think I'll listen to one of them now as I go to bed...probably Siren, Horses, or Ship of Fools, as they stay fairly mellow throughout. Happy sigh. :)

By the way, if I had to choose between these songs & Zep songs, I'd choose these.

My 2nd choice as a group would be songs from the P&P recordings, then Zep 3rd.

I definitely think Robert's material gets better and better, though I'm not a fan of Plant/Krauss. I want to hear Robert as sole singer again: PLEASE ROBERT! Then come to Minnesota, so I can hear you live for the first time! (SONNY LANDRETH SONNY LANDRETH SONNY LANDRETH SONNY LANDRETH....)

Yeah, I know he's not gonna see this-damn!

P.S. Robert: If you come to MN, visit Homestead Pickin' Parlor & Electric Fetus.

Edited by ZeppyNetters

That's hard to choose only 5...

Moonlight in Samosa

Big Log

Ship of Fools

Colors of A Shade

The Enchanter

I'd like to add more, much more.

ME TOO! Colors of a Shade would be in my top 10-that octave when he sings "It's only lo-OVE"-incredible! But one of my favorite things about Robert's singing is his LOWER range-which you hear a lot of on all the songs you picked-you must like it too:)

Edited by ZeppyNetters

1. Heaven Knows

2. I Believe

3. If I Were a Carpenter (it's a cover, but I love it)

4. Shine It All Around

5. Nothin' (I guess I'm allowed to use a RP/AK song? His voice is amazing on that track.)

I hate to say it here but I like Darin's Carpenter better-maybe because it's in a lower key.

(I originally added a paragraph about Darin-I just moved it to a new topic, in the other musicians section.)

Edited by ZeppyNetters

I LOVE Moonlight in Samosa (those descending triads are amazing-he makes it sound so easy)

Someeone else had Young Boy Blues on their list-that is definitely my favorite track on the Honeydrippers cd.

Maybe we should change this to top 10 songs-5 is too hard!

I agree with Ahmet a 2nd Honeydrippers cd would be great, this time a longer album, because even the Nine Lives version is too short. And/or make a Priory of Brion cd available. I'd also love to get a cd from Robert's pre-Zep days. I know there were a couple tracks on 66 to Timbuktu, but I'd like a whole album. I'd prefer not to buy any bootlegs.

There were plans to do another Honeydrippers cd but Robert felt (and I agree) when Ahmet Ertegun passed, there was no point. As far as a cd of Robert's pre-zep days, there was never one. 66 to Timbuktu is an official release and has most of the songs on there which would be your best bet.

As far as Robert working with Sonny Landreth (which you have mentioned quite frequently) - I suspect if Robert was interested in that, he'd have pursued it. The fact he hasn't I would assume it's not a direction he wants to take at this time :)

There were plans to do another Honeydrippers cd but Robert felt (and I agree) when Ahmet Ertegun passed, there was no point. As far as a cd of Robert's pre-zep days, there was never one. 66 to Timbuktu is an official release and has most of the songs on there which would be your best bet.

As far as Robert working with Sonny Landreth (which you have mentioned quite frequently) - I suspect if Robert was interested in that, he'd have pursued it. The fact he hasn't I would assume it's not a direction he wants to take at this time :)

In the Plant book they do mention that there are some recordings (demos & live) floating around from before Zep-Band of Joy & maybe others-but they are probably bootlegs. If someone could clean them up and Robert (& the other musicians) would ok a release, it would be fun to hear!

If he doesn't want to do another Honeydrippers album, or work with Sonny, that's fine.

They are just things I'd be interested in, as a fan of Robert's! Maybe he hasn't worked with Sonny because it hasn't occurred to him to do it. That's part of the reason I mention it, in case somehow the idea would find its way to Robert (Sonny himself said he liked how I was thinking!) and he becomes interested. Very few people I've talked to know who Sonny is (or even Hiatt, believe it or not). Granted, Robert follows all kinds of music and has encyclopedic knowledge, but even he can't know EVERYONE.

There could be several reasons they haven't worked together, besides Robert not being interested. Such as both of them are always working on some project, or on tour, so they'd have to clear time for it and be available at the same time, and there would be travel involved for at least one of them (Sonny's based in Louisiana). At any rate, I don't see the harm in mentioning it, even more than once. If you have an idea that you'd like to see any members of Zep working on, I'd be interested in hearing about it. We're all here because we love Zep & we love music :)

Edited by ZeppyNetters

In the Plant book they do mention that there are some recordings (demos & live) floating around from before Zep-Band of Joy & maybe others-but they are probably bootlegs. If someone could clean them up and Robert (& the other musicians) would ok a release, it would be fun to hear!

If he doesn't want to do another Honeydrippers album, or work with Sonny, that's fine.

They are just things I'd be interested in, as a fan of Robert's! Maybe he hasn't worked with Sonny because it hasn't occurred to him to do it. That's part of the reason I mention it, in case somehow the idea would find its way to Robert (Sonny himself said he liked how I was thinking!) and he becomes interested. Very few people I've talked to know who Sonny is (or even Hiatt, believe it or not). Granted, Robert follows all kinds of music and has encyclopedic knowledge, but even he can't know EVERYONE.

There could be several reasons they haven't worked together, besides Robert not being interested. Such as both of them are always working on some project, or on tour, so they'd have to clear time for it and be available at the same time, and there would be travel involved for at least one of them (Sonny's based in Louisiana). At any rate, I don't see the harm in mentioning it, even more than once. If you have an idea that you'd like to see any members of Zep working on, I'd be interested in hearing about it. We're all here because we love Zep & we love music :)

I'd be willing to bet Robert knows who Sonny is ;) As you said, his knowledge of music is encyclopedic. I don't have any ideas on what I'd want the guys to work on. For me it's about what moves them. I just want and hope they keep working for a long time :)

I'd be willing to bet Robert knows who Sonny is ;) As you said, his knowledge of music is encyclopedic. I don't have any ideas on what I'd want the guys to work on. For me it's about what moves them. I just want and hope they keep working for a long time :)

I agree with you on that last point. I'm listening to Bobby Darin at the moment, and it makes me so sad to think of all the great music he would have made if he'd lived past 37.

Hello all! I admitted that when I started this topic that if I HAD to choose 5 Robert Plant solo songs those would be it. (See the very first topic post). However, it seems that alot of you seem to have a hard time just choosing 5 Robert Plant songs. Believe me, so did I. So if you choose, feel free to post as many RP songs that fit your criteria.

My others would include: in no particular order:

Watching You

Burning Down One Side

Shine It All Around

The Way I Feel

Sea of Love

More from me to come later. I have alot of Robert Plant songs to listen to.