Top Five (5) Robert Plant Solo Songs.

lzzoso

You know a song I always liked that has remained in relative obscurity is Thru With The Two Step off of TPOM. I think Plant's vocal performance on this song was just absolutely beautiful, gentle and powerful at the same time. Sure some of the synth stuff hasn't aged all too well, but a lovely a song all the same.

Love that song too. And love pulling that album out for a good listen.

I can't pick my favorites, it's too hard. All I know is Song to the Siren would be on the list.

Has there ever been a vote on the most popular or favorite Robert Plant songs?

I like this thread and question...and I noticed so many of everyone's picks are my favorites too and it's also interesting that those are hidden gems that only a Robert Plant fan might know about since most radio stations only play popular Robert Plant songs.

It's hard to narrow it down to 5

Guess it would be based on need haha

I think if I was on an island I would only bring my Robert Plant cds

1) Greatest Gift

2) Slow Dancer

3) Easily Lead

4) Sixes and Sevens

5) Moonlight in Samosa

Honorable mentions

Come into my life

Watching you

Red for Danger

Anniversary

8:05

Pledge Pin

One More Cup of Coffee

Skip's song

I better stop the list is getting longer again :P

I wish Robert would do a concert of his solo material (rarities, some Zep of course ,his favorite covers, etc..)

All good choices of top 5's. You can't go wrong with his catalog.

R B)

Reids, exactly, he has quite a bit of music in his solo career alone!

To respond to the question...this was really tough and I apologize I could not keep it to 5, although I love all of his music, these are at the top of my list:

I Believe

Ship Of Fools

Morning Dew

Big Log

Young Boy Blues

Im In The Mood

29 Palms

Edited by Deborah J

Reids, exactly, he has quite a bit of music in his solo career alone!

To respond to the question...this was really tough and I apologize I could not keep it to 5, although I love all of his music, these are at the top of my list:

I Believe

Ship Of Fools

Morning Dew

Big Log

Young Boy Blues

Im In The Mood

29 Palms

Thanks, Deborah. nice choices, too. :)

He can easily mix up the set with a variety of musicians and styles, too.

R B)

another toughie

ship of fools definitely...have some great live versions i love better than the studio

i believe........ as deb said..........yeh..........again..........a great live version,great song

song to the siren............dunno...........just love it

sea of love..........bit cheesy maybe but it was so fun to hear that song cross over onto mainstream radio

and have people like my mom n dad actually listening to 2 members of zep...........hehehehe

in the mood...........dunno............just al;ways liked seeing him play it........and he did come over and sing a verse to us one time, which was quite memorable (was in the 2nd rowcool.gif )

I wish Robert would do a concert of his solo material (rarities, some Zep of course ,his favorite covers, etc..)

All good choices of top 5's. You can't go wrong with his catalog.

R B)

So, true...I always think you can't go wrong with Robert Plant

A concert like that would be really nice...I was so amazed by how he 'rearranged' some of the classics when he and Alison went on tour. I couldn't even imagine hearing them that way

It would be nice to have another kind of Storyteller laid back moment where he talks about the songs from the then and now lol

or even letting fans pick or do live request much like the Eurythmics did ages ago--where people phoned in while it was live

1) Burning Down One Side

2) Fat Lip

3) Heaven Knows

4) Big Log

5) Pink And Black

I really love what he did with his Sea Of Love remake, with a beauty of a solo by Jimmy Page. His voice is in TOP FORM.

I also agree with above post, Plant is a sure bet live, he's a genius (as Page is) at re-interpreting songs live in different ways. Page and Plant are both musical encyclopedia's way out of the norm, they both have freakish amounts of musical knowledge, same goes for Jones without question.

Edited by Tea41

• 8 months later...

I am always torn with Big Log: part of me LOVES Robert's vocals, and another part HATES the drum machine clap. Sometimes I put it on & have to turn it off because the clap makes me want to SCREAM! Wouldn't it be great if someday music is released in a form that you could edit on your computer? They could have a default version (the arrangement the artist chooses to release) on the discs to protect copyright. I would definitely take that out of Big Log. And the little "click-click" in Ship of Fools.

Although the concept never caught on, Todd Rundgren's No World Order album allowed listeners to rearrange the songs.

From Wikipedia:

This CD-only release was available in interactive formats including Philips' CD-i and Macintosh/PC. The interactive version included the ability to alter the structure of the music by selecting mix (by Rundgren and three other "guest" mixing engineers, including Don Was), song and song snippet sequence, tempo and mood.

A non-interactive, audio-only CD was released simultaneously with Rundgren's preferred sequence. Even this version, however, played on the theme of interactivity and orderlessness: Its nearly continuous flow supported random play, and its paper insert could be refolded and reinserted so as to display any of 16 alternate versions of the cover art.

Another version of the album, No World Order Lite, was released the following year, presenting the same material in a more song-oriented format.

In Japan, a promotional disc called "NWO (Version 1.01)" was released that contained alternate versions of some of the songs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

The problem in my view is that the very best Plant solo songs for me anyways: Angel Dance, Calling To You, You're Ma Said You Cried In Your Sleep Last Night, Hurting Kind, and so on and so on, all sound like Zeppelin songs to me, so I'm really not sure why he pretends that Zeppelin doesn't matter anymore when clearly it does.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

How's it going "lzzoso?" I hope all is well with you. I love all of ROBERT PLANT'S solo albums but I like his earlier stuff such as:

(1.) Sea Of Love - The Honeydrippers

(2.) Burning Down One Side - Pictures At Eleven

(3.) Moonlight In Samosa - Pictures At Eleven

(4.) Like I've Never Been Gone - Pictures At Eleven

(5.) Worse Than Detroit - Pictures At Eleven

To be truthful with you, my favorite ROBERT PLANT album is the PICTURES AT ELEVEN album from 1982. I love all of the songs on that album. ROCK ON my friend!

1) SLOW DANCER

2) slow dancer

3) Pictures at eleven album ,dont forget "mystery title"

4) manic nirvana (song)

5) big LOVE (not LOG)

6) 29 palms

7) Ship of fools

( thats the shortest i could keep it)

Like I've Never Been Gone

29 Palms

Burning Down One Side

Slow Dancer

... #5 fill in the blank

I'd like to add Great Spirit from my fave Plant album Fate of Nations. He actually croons on this - very soulful and would'nt sound out of place on a Luther Vandross album! Then there is that sublime guitar solo - drool!