Obscure late 60's and 70's hard rock.

Fans of trippy late '60s/early '70s power trios are in for a treat Cactus is doing another reunion show, this time at 8 p.m. Friday at the Magic Bag Theatre in Ferndale.

Formed in 1969 by Vanilla Fudge bassist, Tim Bogert, and drummer, Carmine Appice, guitarist Jimmy McCarty of the Detroit Wheels and singer Rusty Day of the Amboy Dukes, the original group put out three albums and was known for epic live shows. The reunion will consist of McCarty and Appice, with former Savoy Brown singer Jimmy Kunes on vocals.

Saw Vanilla Fudge last night, or at least what you get when half of their original members are down. This was a free show at the town park, BTW - so I was pretty much ready to just roll with whatever they offered. I had just read that their organist / singer was out with a broken hand, and quickly noticed a different bassist was onstage - he was later introduced as their tour manager. Carmine sounded ambitious, but a bit off, during their opening cover of "Ticket to Ride". I patted my hip flask, and noted "that's why I brought you along". "Season of the Witch" and "People Get Ready" smoothed things out more. "Rock and Roll" went into an absolutely hellacious drum solo, and jaws were dropping at his speed and power. "Like a Rolling Stone" fit their tempo perfectly, and won the crowd - as Grannies and hotties alike shook their booties, Grandpops frantically air drummed, and children held their ears and cried - while being completely ignored for the first time in their lives. It couln't have been more glorious.

• 2 years later...

Buffalo were a great Oz heavy band and Volcanic Rock is a classic.Also try Lobby Loyde and the Coloured Balls .Unfortunately Lobby is no longer with us and I had the good fortune to meet him once but he is considered to be our heavy rock guitar god father.On their reissued Ball Power there is classics such as Flash,Wont you make up your mind,and Human Being,but be prepared for the colossal GOD (guitar over dose)recorded live at 4am from the rare Summer Jam budget lp(rare)released in about 1973.I will defy anyone to come up with such a devastating blitzkrieg of power guitar orgy,anywhere,period.

• 5 months later...

Archived