Jimmy Page and/or Led Zeppelin

lzzoso

Okay. By starting this topic, I must say first and foremost that I am not and do not want to "offend" anybody that is a member of this great website or those that visit it often. I am one of these people.

The controversy that I am asking is the "inevitable" question of is, does anybody really believe that Jimmy Page and/or Led Zeppelin "sold their soul to the Devil"?. Considering the fact the Jimmy Page was "the foremost collector of Aleister Crowley" artifacts and rare paraphanelia of the "Great Beast 666" it does not seems that hard to believe or imagine. Try to think of this from a logical standpoint. Why would Jimmy be so obsessed with a known Satanist and Occultist if Jimmy himself was not interested in such practises. Even to the extent of buying Boleskine House on the shores of Loch Ness that was once owned by Aleister Crowley and where Mr. Crowley allegedly performed some very intense magical rituals. I could keep going on and referencing more of this subject from what I have read, but I am sure that I have already "ruffled" a few feathers.

In conclusion, even if all this was true and Jimmy Page and/or Led Zeppelin were devout Satanists back in the day, would this really change your mind about how you feel about them? In my opinion, I could actually care less what "Religion" the members of Led Zeppelin followed. I am a fan of their great contribution to the history of Rock and Roll.

Okay. By starting this topic, I must say first and foremost that I am not and do not want to "offend" anybody that is a member of this great website or those that visit it often. I am one of these people.

The controversy that I am asking is the "inevitable" question of is, does anybody really believe that Jimmy Page and/or Led Zeppelin "sold their soul to the Devil"?. Considering the fact the Jimmy Page was "the foremost collector of Aleister Crowley" artifacts and rare paraphanelia of the "Great Beast 666" it does not seems that hard to believe or imagine. Try to think of this from a logical standpoint. Why would Jimmy be so obsessed with a known Satanist and Occultist if Jimmy himself was not interested in such practises. Even to the extent of buying Boleskine House on the shores of Loch Ness that was once owned by Aleister Crowley and where Mr. Crowley allegedly performed some very intense magical rituals. I could keep going on and referencing more of this subject from what I have read, but I am sure that I have already "ruffled" a few feathers.

In conclusion, even if all this was true and Jimmy Page and/or Led Zeppelin were devout Satanists back in the day, would this really change your mind about how you feel about them? In my opinion, I could actually care less what "Religion" the members of Led Zeppelin followed. I am a fan of their great contribution to the history of Rock and Roll.

Jimmy was a Thelemite and also interested in studying various belief systems. Nothing

more, nothing less. Selling souls to the devil makes for great folklore and tabloid fodder

but his success is a direct result of his own ambition, vision and talents.

You're mixing Crowley's philosophy (based in Egyptology) with Faustian fiction, which is a morality tale and a metaphor for the wages of sin, though the details of its plot are not biblical.

The Bible has no instance of a person “selling his soul” to Satan, and it never implies that making a bargain with the devil is possible.

Not even at the Crossroads, which is a hybrid of pre-Christian Germanic folklore (and here we mean Der Teufel, the old pagan woods-devil, not Satan) and African Hoodoo, which has nothing to do with the Devil, but rather the casting of spells at a crossroads. None of which have anything to do with Crowley's Thelema.

The controversy that I am asking is the "inevitable" question of is, does anybody really believe that Jimmy Page and/or Led Zeppelin "sold their soul to the Devil"?.

Just out of curiosity, if you were asked to sell your own soul to the devil....how much would you charge him ? Would being a rock and roll star really suffice ? :huh:

If you had proof that the devil existed, that also means God does too. What price could you possibly accept knowing that you were passing up your chance at everlasting life ?

The controversy that I am asking is the "inevitable" question of is, does anybody really believe that Jimmy Page and/or Led Zeppelin "sold their soul to the Devil"?. Considering the fact the Jimmy Page was "the foremost collector of Aleister Crowley" artifacts and rare paraphanelia of the "Great Beast 666" it does not seems that hard to believe or imagine. Try to think of this from a logical standpoint. Why would Jimmy be so obsessed with a known Satanist and Occultist if Jimmy himself was not interested in such practises. Even to the extent of buying Boleskine House on the shores of Loch Ness that was once owned by Aleister Crowley and where Mr. Crowley allegedly performed some very intense magical rituals.

I understand what you're trying to say, but just because Jimmy is interested in the occult doesn't mean that he himself practices black magic. Many people are fans of gangster movies like Goodfellas and The Godfather but that doesn't mean that they want to join the Mafia.

I understand what you're trying to say, but just because Jimmy is interested in the occult doesn't mean that he himself practices black magic. Many people are fans of gangster movies like Goodfellas and The Godfather but that doesn't mean that they want to join the Mafia.

Well, I don't want to tread on anyone's image of Jimmy as a person, but...he is a Knight of the Order of Thelema. Whether those practices are considered "Black Magick" depends on who you ask. Regardless, I don't think his having practiced Thelemic ritual is in question. He even called the four corners onstage in his violin bow solo, if you know what to look for. However that is just a cleansing ritual, NOT "Black Magick", and miles away from "deals with the devil". It's a philosophy based on love. Not evil.

I don't every feel Evil in Zeps music. Those guys are not about bringing people down. They are a out uplifting people. When they do their rock, its all about getting people off on a musical orgasm that blows their mind.

When I listen to In my time of dying. I hear a rollercoaster of music. Its almost like a audio version of Indiana Jones in the Temple of Doom running away from the bad guys in the mine carts. Thats how the song comes off to me.

If anything. Led Zeppelin is a gift from God. Not the Devil. My real concept of the Devil is the absence of God.

Mc7

Okay. Listen (or actually read). I am and have been a die-hard fan of Jimmy Page and Led Zeppelin for over 25 years now. In that time I have read as many books/interviews/qoutes/etc.. that I can find and read about Led Zeppelin. I have read and studied as much as I can about Jimmy Page and Led Zeppelin. Alot of my reading has mentioned the fact that Jimmy Page was very interested in the Occult and Black Magic. Even some qoutes by Jimmy has confirmed this. Quotes from the man himself. How can anyone deny something like this when Jimmy himself has confirmed them in the words he has given in various interviews? Even on some Led Zeppelin songs there are hints of the Occult that are referenced in the lyrics (written by Robert Plant).

As I mentioned before, if Jimmy Page and/or the other members of Led Zeppelin were into the "Black Arts/Black Magic or pure "Satanism" would that really change your mind about how their music makes you feel?

If Jimmy Page came out today and said, "Yes I am and always have been a Satanist" would that affect the way you have always felt about his music and the great music of Led Zeppelin? I, personally, could care less what he possibly could have and maybe did practise in his own time. What I remember and will never forget or let go is the GREAT music Jimmy Page/Robert Plant/John Paul Jones/John Bonham has given us and the rest of the world at large.

^ The point is that Jimmy is/was a never a "satanist". Crowley was not a satanist as Ev has said. So what you are saying does not really make sense because look at the replies to this thread, Ev and others have said that Crowley and Page did not make deals with the devil.

Okay. Listen (or actually read). I am and have been a die-hard fan of Jimmy Page and Led Zeppelin for over 25 years now. In that time I have read as many books/interviews/qoutes/etc.. that I can find and read about Led Zeppelin. I have read and studied as much as I can about Jimmy Page and Led Zeppelin. Alot of my reading has mentioned the fact that Jimmy Page was very interested in the Occult and Black Magic. Even some qoutes by Jimmy has confirmed this. Quotes from the man himself. How can anyone deny something like this when Jimmy himself has confirmed them in the words he has given in various interviews? Even on some Led Zeppelin songs there are hints of the Occult that are referenced in the lyrics (written by Robert Plant).

Now that you have eliminated the word "satanism", I can agree with the above. "Satanism" is a word that is best left out of the discussion.

If Jimmy Page came out today and said, "Yes I am and always have been a Satanist" would that affect the way you have always felt about his music and the great music of Led Zeppelin?

No. Someone claiming to be a satanist doesn't carry anymore weight with me than someone claiming to be a christian priest/pastor, but I bet both will accept your cash donation.

Archived