The Moving Sidewalks

zosodude13

Flash-The Moving Sidewalks

The_Moving_Sidewalks_-_Flash_-_Frontmn.jpg

For anyone who hasn't heard of the band, The Moving Sidewalks were a short-lived band from the Texas psychedelic scene. Their significance is this is Billy Gibbons' band before he was in ZZ Top. Their one album is a great mix of blues and psychedelic, with a touch of garage rock, but not to the extent of the Texas legends The 13th Floor Elevators. They released a hand full of singles including their biggest hit "99th Floor" (A tribute of sorts to their contemporaries The 13th Floor Elevators) as well as a trippy, sub-sonic sludge cover of "I Wanna Hold Your Hand".

The band didn't have much success, but was a opening act for The Doors, The 13th Floor Elevators and The Jimi Hendrix Experience. Jimi Hendrix was a big fan of Billy, and the story is Billy taught Jimi how to play slide while they toured together.

If anyone is interested in hearing their album, its pretty hard to find it. Their single album was released on CD, including their 5 singles as bonus tracks in 2001 and from the information I know, there were at most 3,000 pressings of the album at the time and it is not currently being sold in digital music stores. I was able to get the album in a swap with some friends. So if you are interested, please send me a PM and we can work something out.

Youtube doesn't offer much, but I found these songs:

The Moving Sidewalks- Every Night A New Surprise

If anyone else knows anything else about them, or is interested by all means feel free to discuss here. :)

The band didn't have much success, but was a opening act for The Doors, The 13th Floor Elevators and The Jimi Hendrix Experience. Jimi Hendrix was a big fan of Billy, and the story is Billy taught Jimi how to play slide while they toured together.

During an appearance on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson Hendrix also named Billy Gibbons as his favorite guitarist at the time.

I don't have the entire record but I do have a few Moving Sidewalks tracks that were included on the Chrome, Smoke and BBQ ZZ Top box set.

Archived