Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
FullyLedded

Sad day, Les Paul has died

Solid-body guitar, multi-track recording, phaser, tape delay … Led Zeppelin as we know it wouldn't have existed without him.

See someone beat me to it...but here's the L.A. Times Obituary:Les Paul obit L.A. Times

Too weird that on the very day that I am going to see "It Might Get Loud", one of the biggest pioneers in guitar history and a significant influence to Jimmy Page passes away.

At least he lived a rich, full and LONG life...which is more than some(Jimi Hendrix) get.

Rest in Peace Les Paul. Now you and Mary will be together again.

It'll never be the same without you Les. Vaya Con Dios!

Long live the Wizard of Waukesha! (I grew up in the town next door. Muskego ROCKS!)

It's a very sad news.

Will Jimmy attend the funeral?I'm sure he will..

Edited by Alice75

It's a very sad news.

Will Jimmy attend the funeral?I'm sure he will..

It is very sad. I am wondering too and what Jimmy will say about this.

is it true that he was good friends with Steve Miller's family and actually tought Steve Miller some guitar while Steve was growing up?

and if this is true THAT IS THE MAN TO LEARN GUITAR FROM

It is very sad. I am wondering too and what Jimmy will say about this.

I would imagine over the next few days there will be a lot of statements from guitarists and musicians.

Solid-body guitar, multi-track recording, phaser, tape delay … Led Zeppelin as we know it wouldn't have existed without him.

It is even more important than that.

Les didn't build the foundations of Led Zeppelin,he built the very foundations of rock itself.

I believe he once expressed regret for inventing multi tracking,because it meant you could go back and erase "mistakes".

Those mistakes are the things that some famous musicians used to learn from and progress.

That to me shows his love and knowledge of the wonders of recorded music.

And always remember his original reason for inventing his guitar.

He wanted it to be LOUD!.

RIP Les,you will never be forgotten!.

Oh no! This is terrible news. I thought he'd go on forever.

RIP Les, and thank you.

Hey-Up,

Like-wise, He was in a Class of Musicians that One, wants to go on Forever... Three more spring to mind, & if it wasnt for the Catastrophic disasters of "Sept 25, 1980, & Nov 21, 1995" when we lost John Bonham & Mr Peter Grant Respectively,then it would have been Five that "Would Go On Forever".

God Bless Led Zeppelin, & God Bless Mr Les Paul, as you join some wonderfully missed "Musical-Geniuses", who were all sure that you'll have great Joy putting a Band together, behind those Pearly Gates, Admission Free......

All the best,

Hang-man :ph34r:

is it true that he was good friends with Steve Miller's family and actually tought Steve Miller some guitar while Steve was growing up?

and if this is true THAT IS THE MAN TO LEARN GUITAR FROM

Yes it is true- Steve Miller was born in Wisconsin and his father was a good friend of Les, in fact he was best man at Les & Mary Ford's wedding. Les is also Steve's godfather, and taught him his first chords when Steve was 4. On Steve's box set, there is a recording of the two of them together when Steve was 5.

Stider, me too! I saw a midnight (12:10) showing in NYC last night. Perhaps we were in the same theater? We had a couple of drinks at BB Kings before we saw the movie, at least the people in there understood the magnetute of his contributions. I couldn't believe it at work, I was so saddened by the news I was telling everyone and most people were like "Who?" I think he should be having the same, if not more, level of attention to his passing and odes to his contributions as Michael Jackson had.

Duh.

See someone beat me to it...but here's the L.A. Times Obituary:Les Paul obit L.A. Times

Too weird that on the very day that I am going to see "It Might Get Loud", one of the biggest pioneers in guitar history and a significant influence to Jimmy Page passes away.

At least he lived a rich, full and LONG life...which is more than some(Jimi Hendrix) get.

Rest in Peace Les Paul. Now you and Mary will be together again.

Public memorial tributes are being planned.

That is good news!!! I hope to hear of one near me soon! I made my toast to him at BB Kings last night.

That is good news!!! I hope to hear of one near me soon! I made my toast to him at BB Kings last night.

I was thinking back to 1987 when Jimmy was flown all the way from London to New York and back to join Les for a jam during his 72nd birthday party at Fat Tuesdays. Jeff Beck, Rick Derringer, Al Di Meola and Nile Rodgers also attended. If a memorial tribute concert

is organized I should think Jimmy will agree to participate and perhaps Jeff as well.

Sad, but of course he led a full life. I am truly honored to have gotten to meet him and spend a few hours not only in his presence throughout the day, but to see him perform live at his tribute concert at the Cleveland Rock and Roll HoF last November. (I even got several pics!) He was such a flirt, and so sweet!

Staci Layne

Rest in Peace Les Paul.

Now you and Mary will be together again.

Nice thought, but not sure if "together again" would be appropriate here...

Les Paul and Mary Ford had a bitter divorce, and she remarried.

Mary was pretty young when she died in 1977 (early 50's).

Jimmy comments on LP E

PARADE Interviews Jimmy Page

Remembering Les Paul.

“He’s the man who started everything. He’s just a genius. He set the scene for what was to come as the pioneer of the electric guitar and new tape-recording technology. The Les Paul Gibson guitar that I got, I’ve played all the way through my career. It’s absolutely irreplaceable. I’ve had a marriage with that guitar. It’s my mistress and my wife -- and I don’t have to worry about paying any alimony. Of course, it has spawned some sons and daughters because I’ve acquired far too many guitars over the years. The blessed part is that I can’t play them all at once. If I just got back to my basic tools like the Les Paul, I suppose I could eliminate quite a few.”