West, Winehouse Top Grammy Nominations

Jahfin

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Music/...mmy.nominations

art.grammy.ap.jpg

Amy Winehouse earned nominations in the big three categories -- album, song and record of the year.

(CNN) -- Kanye West earned eight nominations Thursday, including album of the year and rap album of the year for his "Graduation," leading the competition for the 50th annual Grammy Awards.

British pop singer Amy Winehouse also made out well, earning six nods, including nominations for album of the year, song of the year, record of the year and best new artist.

In a surprise, Bruce Springsteen -- whose critically praised "Magic" was expected to do well -- didn't get an album of the year nomination. The competition in that category, besides West and Winehouse, includes the Foo Fighters ("Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace"), Vince Gill (the four-disc set "These Days") and Herbie Hancock ("River: The Joni Letters").

Two Foo Fighters -- Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins -- as well as Gill and Hancock were on hand at the announcement to hear their names read.

Springsteen, who earned four nominations, was nominated for best solo rock vocal and best rock album, among other awards.

Aside from Winehouse's "Rehab," the nominees for song of the year -- a songwriter's honor -- are "Before He Cheats" (performed by Carrie Underwood), "Hey There Delilah" (Plain White T's), "Like a Star" (Corinne Bailey Rae), "Rehab" (Amy Winehouse) and "Umbrella" (Rihanna).

Record of the year nominations went to "Rehab," Beyonce's "Irreplaceable," the Foo Fighters' "The Pretender," Rihanna's "Umbrella," Justin Timberlake's "What Goes Around ... Comes Around."

In addition to Winehouse, best new artist nominees are Feist, Ledisi, Paramore and Taylor Swift.

Common ("Finding Forever"), Jay-Z ("Kingdom Come"), Nas ("Hip Hop Is Dead"), T.I. ("T.I. vs. T.I.P") and West all earned nominations for best rap album.

Peripatetic producer Timbaland, who received five nominations total, was among those receiving producer of the year (non-classical) nominations.

Paul McCartney, whose album "Memory Almost Full" earned good reviews, earned nominations for best pop vocal and best solo rock vocal.

At one point, the announcement turned into a festival of hugs, with an emotional Swift embracing many of her colleagues after hearing her name called. Grohl had fun with the idea, grabbing producer Jimmy Jam after Jam announced the Foo Fighters' album had made the album of the year list.

The 50th annual Grammy Awards are scheduled for Sunday, February 10.

I really don't watch 'em either (or any awards shows for that matter, unless it's for comedic affect, like the CMAs) but somewhere in their long list of nominees is usually someone I like that I feel really deserves it, such as artists in the folk categories.

I really don't watch 'em either (or any awards shows for that matter, unless it's for comedic affect, like the CMAs) but somewhere in their long list of nominees is usually someone I like that I feel really deserves it, such as artists in the folk categories.

Yes, once in a while someone worthwhile does slip through the cracks. No doubt about that.

Most awards shows (and I might have stolen the following line from Robert) are just the music industry jacking off itself. Occasionally some talent shows up though.

Has nobody seen this???

Category 8

Best Pop Collaboration With Vocals

(For a collaborative performance, with vocals, by artists who do not normally perform together. Singles or Tracks only.)

* Steppin' Out

Tony Bennett & Christina Aguilera

Track from: Duets: An American Classic

[Columbia]

* Beautiful Liar

Beyoncé & Shakira

Track from: B'Day (Deluxe Edition)

[Columbia/Sony Urban]

* Gone Gone Gone (Done Moved On)

Robert Plant & Alison Krauss

[Rounder Records]

* The Sweet Escape

Gwen Stefani & Akon

Track from: The Sweet Escape

[interscope Records]

* Give It To Me

Timbaland Featuring Nelly Furtado & Justin Timberlake

Track from: Timbaland Presents: Shock Value

[Mosley/Blackground/Interscope Records]

-diamanda galas and -jpj could have made a record like this.

Really? I admire the experimentation it took to make that record but her voice is once removed from Yoko's screech to my ears.

...well i guess we'll see a quite a few of retro tinged releases in 08?

While there's definitely a hint of a sound that's a throwback to another time (mainly due to T-Bone's production), I think Raising Sand has also has a sound that's much more firmly rooted in the present.

Really? I admire the experimentation it took to make that record but her voice is once removed from Yoko's screech to my ears.

While there's definitely a hint of a sound that's a throwback to another time (mainly due to T-Bone's production), I think Raising Sand has also has a sound that's much more firmly rooted in the present.

You can't listen to -dark end of the street and hear that -diamanda galas could sing like -amy winehouse? and make a retro sounding record, it would be something totally different ofcourse. I don't mean to take anything away from -amy winehouse's success... i'm just sayin.

The line has been drawn.

Am I the only one who hates (with a passion) that Rehab song?

:huh:

No, you're not... And this is the first time I've heard it... I really don't like her voice... But who ever produces her music sounds pretty cool.

Archived