Woodstock 40 Year Anniversary

Deborah J

Hello All!

I was 9 years old when this happened and my parents would not even consider letting me go, nor did they attend. Did anyone here attend or have parents that attended?

I am sure there will be a lot on the TV about this over the weekend since it is the 40 year anniversary.

I've been working with a guy that was there.He's a retired Marine,a Viet Nam and Gulf War Vet.

He went to Woodstock when he was seventeen.He left DC with a few friends upon hearing of the festival.

I asked him what his favorite part was and he immediately, without pause, said, "Hendrix"!!!

We're both music buffs and we've been trading CD's back and forth for the last three months.Some of the music he's given me,I haven't heard for years.Some, never before!It's very cool.

BTW, he's an African American and he has one of the most diverse record collection's that I've ever seen...It's one of my greatest pleasures to sit there and listen to some of his stories,some sad,some funny and some that make you think.I could sit all day long listening to this guy.I feel fortunate to have met him.

Said he saw Carlos Santana in a bull fighting ring in Spain in the early seventies while with the Marines and had a chance to meet him recently.Said he had a great conversation with him...Cool stuff!!!

I've been working with a guy that was there.He's a retired Marine,a Viet Nam and Gulf War Vet.

He went to Woodstock when he was seventeen.He left DC with a few friends upon hearing of the festival.

I asked him what his favorite part was and he immediately, without pause, said, "Hendrix"!!!

We're both music buffs and we've been trading CD's back and forth for the last three months.Some of the music he's given me,I haven't heard for years.Some, never before!It's very cool.

BTW, he's an African American and he has one of the most diverse record collection's that I've ever seen...It's one of my greatest pleasures to sit there and listen to some of his stories,some sad,some funny and some that make you think.I could sit all day long listening to this guy.I feel fortunate to have met him.

Said he saw Carlos Santana in a bull fighting ring in Spain in the early seventies while with the Marines and had a chance to meet him recently.Said he had a great conversation with him...Cool stuff!!!

Hello Rorer714!

Great story!This man made it through three wars. I bet he is full of knowledge. I love to sit with older people and listen to their experiences.

My pen pal at the time attended. She just told me she'd been to this music festival upstate that one of her friends told her about, and that it had rained a lot so they spent most of the time in their tent playing around with a flashlight (to simulate a lightshow!) and listening to the music, which she said was great. But her main comments were on the rain, the mud, and the fact that the roads were so packed they nearly didn't get there, or back.

Of course, at that point the whole thing hadn't turned into "Woodstock," if you see what I mean!

Hello Rorer714!

Great story!This man made it through three wars. I bet he is full of knowledge. I love to sit with older people and listen to their experiences.

I do too,always have...Be specific with your questions and for heavens sake don't ask them how they are.They'll give you every detail of their medical history! :o;)

Great story Rorer!!!! I would love to see his record collection. Must be wonderful to hear his stories.

Yes Niner, you'd certainly enjoy it! :D

My pen pal at the time attended. She just told me she'd been to this music festival upstate that one of her friends told her about, and that it had rained a lot so they spent most of the time in their tent playing around with a flashlight (to simulate a lightshow!) and listening to the music, which she said was great. But her main comments were on the rain, the mud, and the fact that the roads were so packed they nearly didn't get there, or back.

Of course, at that point the whole thing hadn't turned into "Woodstock," if you see what I mean!

I know what you mean Aqua!

Some folks are waterbabies and some aren't.It's what you make of it.Seemed to be quite a few waterbabies there...

I went to an outdoor Unitarian "retreat" in 77 and one thing that stuck with me was a quote from an elderly fellow as it rained and snowed.

"Mama always said that I didn't have enough sense to get out of the rain.I told her that I had plenty of sense to get out in the rain."

Didn't seem to make a lot of sense then but I've always thought about it whenever it rained,still do.

I don't mind walking in the rain. :)

My dad claims he went..He would have been 12. "Yea i went with my older girlfriend, she was 17.."

He scares me sometimes, but no I dont know anyone who went. But i watched the thing on Woodstock that was on Vh1 tonight lol :D And also i cant wait to see that movie Taking Woodstock which is coming out soon with Emil Hirsch so yay :)

:lol:

I watched the same thing with my parents! My dad was 16 at the time, but lived in the Soviet Union, so... and I think my mom was still a kid. I almost cried watching that, I just wished I was born in 1955 to have been able to go to Woodstock! Its not fair :(

And even though the movie is rated R, my parents said I can still go see it :P (Wait till I tell my friend, we both thought we wouldn't be able to go!)

The Today Show ran a story the other day about the couple who were on the cover of the Woodstock soundtrack. They were hugging with a blanket around them in the picture. They had only been dating about two months when they went to Woodstock and have now been married for almost 40 years. It was a really cool story! They're all about peace and love and have tried to instill those values on their children. They seem like a neat couple who are still in love after all these years. :)

:lol:

I watched the same thing with my parents! My dad was 16 at the time, but lived in the Soviet Union, so... and I think my mom was still a kid. I almost cried watching that, I just wished I was born in 1955 to have been able to go to Woodstock! Its not fair :(

And even though the movie is rated R, my parents said I can still go see it :P (Wait till I tell my friend, we both thought we wouldn't be able to go!)

Thats when my mom was born, lol i wish i could have been born then too. Or maybe like 2 years earlier. I didnt cry, but i really wished i could have been there or, i just wish something like that could happen today. Aww haha i think im gonna go see it with my mom and my sister :)

Hello All!

I was 9 years old when this happened and my parents would not even consider letting me go, nor did they attend. Did anyone here attend or have parents that attended?

I am sure there will be a lot on the TV about this over the weekend since it is the 40 year anniversary.

I was 9 also. I had an 18 year old sister too. She didn't go, but I do remember the events of that Summer changing her and her friends. Gone were the plastic glasses....the skirts went way up....indian jewelry....tye dye. The speed of the transition to hipness was amazing. I remember the CSNY version of Woodstock, and Joni's too, but for some reason I remember this version the most.....

I remember the CSNY version of Woodstock, and Joni's too, but for some reason I remember this version the most.....

James Taylor played a version with just him and an acoustic when he was a guest on The Howard Stern Show....that's the one that's been stuck in my head.

Thats when my mom was born, lol i wish i could have been born then too. Or maybe like 2 years earlier. I didnt cry, but i really wished i could have been there or, i just wish something like that could happen today. Aww haha i think im gonna go see it with my mom and my sister :)

Yeah, I just wish some how there was just a way D: I would have loved to go! I actually asked my dad if I could and he was like not by yourself, you would have to bring me :lol: If I have to make something like that happen if nobody else will, i'll do it (Just like Wayne and Garth :) )

Archived