Rock Legend To Become Vice-President

glicine

It's an article from the hompage of the Wolverhampton Wanderers yesterday.

Lifelong Wolves fan and rock legend Robert Plant is to be honoured for his dedication to the club by being made a Vice-President.

The world-famous Led Zeppelin frontman, who has become an iconic figure in the music industry, will officially receive the honour prior to kick off in the opening Barclays Premier League game of the season against West Ham tomorrow.

The Steve Bull Stand Season Ticket Holder will join Rachael Heyhoe-Flint and Steve Bull as the third Vice President inducted at Molineux.

"I'm flattered to be in the company of Steve and Rachael," said Robert.

"No matter where I travel, performing around the globe, there are invariably references to my obsession with the gold and black.

"I must say that despite following innumerable players and team members around the world over the last 50 years, I feel no more a Vice President, in truth, than every other deranged punter who trundles through the turnstiles week in, week out, with fingers crossed.

"I'll be delighted to be at Molineux tomorrow on this monumental day and I must take this opportunity of saluting the work of Mick, his backroom staff and of course the players along with Steve and Jez, and all of us that want to make this a season of positive support and great excitement."

Wolves CEO Jez Moxey has welcomed Robert's acceptance of his new role.

Jez said: "Robert is a truly iconic figure in the music industry, and yet also as down to earth as they come, and his unbreakable affinity to Wolves has seen him become almost an unofficial ambassador for the Club as he travels the world.

"I am therefore delighted that Robert has agreed to accept this honour and join Steve Bull and Rachael Heyhoe-Flint as our Vice-Presidents."

Boss Mick McCarthy has previously met Robert before a home game at Molineux, and is equally pleased to see the star honoured in this way.

"It's great recognition for a true supporter and for the club as well," said Mick.

"We know he's a famous face but he's also been a loyal Wolves fan for many years."

Several Wolves players and staff are also known Led Zeppelin followers, none more so than long-serving defender Jody Craddock.

"I've always been a big fan of Led Zeppelin and have got loads of their stuff on my i-pod," said Jody.

"My Dad always listened to them and I think that's how I got into it.

"I had the pleasure of meeting Robert for the first month ago.

"It was actually at a fete near where I live when my son was on one of the floats.

"I didn't really want to approach him but my wife said I had to pluck up the courage!

"She said the chance might not come again so I went up and he was a fantastic chap, really down to earth and a pleasure to meet.

"I'm going to do a painting of him that he will be able to keep.

"Wolves are a fantastic club and he's been a great fan so it's a well deserved honour."

* A feature length interview with Robert will appear in tomorrow's matchday magazine.

Main picture courtesy of Perou.

The link: here

And it's already happened. Robert has been officially appointed Vice-President today before the game(which they sadly lost).

Wolverhampton Wanderers Premier League season guide 2009-10

The Guardian, Monday 10 August 2009

Party manifesto

"We're steeped in traditional values: the historic venue of Molineux, floodlight lamps shimmering off old gold shirts, the Billy Wright statue, music blaring from the PA after every goal, music blaring from the PA after every substitut ... er ... hold on ..."

Fat cats or hard times

Steve Morgan tried and failed to take over at Liverpool, then bought Wolves for a tenner, before injecting £30m. They won't spend silly money, but have become one of the most stable clubs in the country. The denizens of the mortgaged-to-the-hilt Kop may currently be wondering who they let slip through their fingers.

Their idea of dreamland

After the damp squib of the 2003-04 season, their first in the top flight for 19 years, just staying up this time will suffice. Leave the yo-yoing to West Brom, yes?

The table doesn't lie

Wolves sauntered through the Championship last season, well clear of nearest rivals Birmingham. But so often the champions struggle in the Premier League, while the other promoted teams do better - see the Baggies last time round. Wolves will be hoping to buck that trend.

If they had three wishes

1 The reinstatement of The Liquidator as club anthem

2 To become unofficial champions of the world again, like they were in the 50s. Another 1-0 home win over Manchester United should do it

3 To be able to hear themselves over the PA after a goal.

What a typical fan says

"I can't hear you. What? Eh? I take it we scored? I can't see a thing, the boom from the PA has detached my retinas."

The players

New kid in town Nenad Milijas

The 26-year-old midfielder from Belgrade has played 10 times for Serbia in the last year and should bring goals - he scored 22 for Red Star last season.

English passion v foreign flair

Mick McCarthy hasn't had money to burn so he's been forced to scour the lower leagues. As a result, the squad is more homegrown than most - to the point that his most exotic-sounding defender, Christophe Berra, is Scottish.

Watch out for

Andrew Surman is the latest in a long line of Southampton prodigies to flee the listing south-coast club. A regular scorer from midfield, and capable of filling in at left-back - a problem spot at Wolves in the past - it's about time he made the step up.

Unsung hero

Jody Craddock shored up a creaky defence at the end of last season and as well as his skills as a sweeper he's also a dab hand with a brush: a true renaissance man, his paintings have adorned galleries across the country.

Do not match the ambition of ...

Three into two up front won't go and with Sylvan Ebanks-Blake, Kevin Doyle and Chris Iwelumo all desperate to make the World Cup, for England, Ireland and Scotland respectively, something will have to give.

Most likely to date Danielle Lloyd

Jason Shackell spent half the season slumming it at Norwich but Delia Smith wasn't the only high-profile woman in his life. On MTV cackfest The Hills he attempted to chat up fashion wannabe Lauren Conrad in LA. The gambit ended in abject failure but hats off to him for trying.

National treasure

Ebanks-Blake has been the leading scorer in the Championship for what seems like years and has been hotly tipped to be the Steve Bull de nos jours - a surprise selection in England's World Cup squad.

The manager

Mick McCarthy

Put your medals on the table

Worked miracles at Sunderland in the Championship, and failed dismally in the Premier League. He's not put a foot wrong yet at Wolves, though.

What's his style?

A disciple of Jack Charlton isn't going to be afraid to order his team to lump it into the mixer. But he does try to vary it - his strikers are powerful, yet love to dribble.

Will almost certainly complain about ...

Maintains a studied carefree countenance, with only the odd foray into deadpan irony should something go seriously awry.

If they want to get ahead they could wear a ...

Balaclava

Practical, durable but woefully unfashionable and defiantly not pretty. It can quickly become unbearable when prolonged usage leaves its wearers hot under the collar. It's been out in the cold since the 50s and on its rare appearances since then has generally slipped under the radar. Favoured by those who trade on their anonymity and by those looking to steal (survival), via the back door if necessary.

The numbers game

Years of hurt 29

Last major trophy League Cup 1980

Title odds 1,500-1

Relegation odds 7-5

Last season

FA Cup 4th round

Carling Cup 2nd round

League discipline Yellow 63 Red 4

Top scorer Ebanks-Blake (25, Championship)

Fair play league n/a

Points per game

against top four n/a

against the rest n/a

Fixtures

Contacts and facts

Ground Molineux,

Waterloo Road,

Wolverhampton WV1 4QR

Switchboard 0871 222 2220

Capacity 28,525

Away allocation 2,000

Ticket prices £20-£40

Ticket office 0871 222 1877

Disabled facilities 0871 222 1877

Club shop 0871 222 2220 (opt 1)

Official website www.wolves.co.uk

Wolves were beaten at home today by West Ham so a bit of a dampener for him there. :(

I won't lose sleep cos I am not a Wolves fan :D

They could use a Kenny Hibbet or two ;)

And another Steve Bull, but lets not encourage them cos I want my team to beat them this season :D

I'd like to see them stay up but it will be difficult with their budget. . They were a big club when I was a wee lad but then, so were Preston North End :D

Steve Morgan tried and failed to take over at Liverpool, then bought Wolves for a tenner, before injecting £30m.

When he can't affort to buy into the legendary Liverpool F.C he um, er, goes for Wolves instead. :P

Congratz to Plant for the Wolves Vice-Presidency. A grand old club in all seriousness and it's great to see them back in the big time. Now, if they will be so kind as to give Liverpool 6 points this season that would be appreciated. :D

When he can't affort to buy into the legendary Liverpool F.C he um, er, goes for Wolves instead. :P

Congratz to Plant for the Wolves Vice-Presidency. A grand old club in all seriousness and it's great to see them back in the big time. Now, if they will be so kind as to give Liverpool 6 points this season that would be appreciated. :D

He's been a Wolves supporter much of his life and if memory serves me right - he contemplated buying into the Wolves at one point. Don't think it's money that keeps him from buying the Liverpool FC ;)

He's been a Wolves supporter much of his life and if memory serves me right - he contemplated buying into the Wolves at one point. Don't think it's money that keeps him from buying the Liverpool FC ;)

Sorry. Crossed wires. I meant Steve Morgan. Morgan was a Liverpool fan all his life. Morgan tried to buy into Liverpool FC a few years back but was turned down (he didn't have enough) and so he bought Wolves instead, who are a much much smaller football club.

As For Planty, I don't even think all of his money would buy Liverpool's main striker, nevermind the whole club. :D

As For Planty, I don't even think all of his money would buy Liverpool's main striker, nevermind the whole club. :D

Well, if you mean with "Liverpool's main striker" Fernando Torres, then Robert has enough money for the transfer fee Liverpool has paid for him.

Well, if you mean with "Liverpool's main striker" Fernando Torres, then Robert has enough money for the transfer fee Liverpool has paid for him.

Yeah but that was then. Liverpool got him for a snip a few years ago.

Rafa wouldn't let Torres (best striker in the world) go for anything less than £80 million now.

Yeah but that was then. Liverpool got him for a snip a few years ago.

Rafa wouldn't let Torres (best striker in the world) go for anything less than £80 million now.

He will need to be the "best striker in the world" and a LOT more if Liverpool are to become champions for the first time in 20 years !!!

He will need to be the "best striker in the world" and a LOT more if Liverpool are to become champions for the first time in 20 years !!!

I thought Liverpool were 'Champions' of Europe in 2005?

No?

Some English teams have NEVER been that.

:P

I'd like to see them stay up but it will be difficult with their budget. . They were a big club when I was a wee lad but then, so were Preston North End :D

Jesus Ally i didnt know you were that Old mate, Preston North End were big in the 1890s been a small club ever since, thats what 119 years ago, what an awesome memory mate, i have to hand it to you, what is it that gives you such longevity?

Kind Regards, Danny

PS, Do you remember the seige of Mafeking?

PPS, "Come on you Irons"

Jesus Ally i didnt know you were that Old mate, Preston North End were big in the 1890s been a small club ever since, thats what 119 years ago, what an awesome memory mate, i have to hand it to you, what is it that gives you such longevity?

LMAO Big Dan.

I was about the say the very same thing but you got in there first.

PPS, "Come on you Irons"

Yeah come on the Irons. I think the 2006 F.A Cup final should have been shared. Neither team deserved to lose that classic.

LMAO Big Dan.

I was about the say the very same thing but you got in there first.

Yeah come on the Irons. I think the 2006 F.A Cup final should have been shared. Neither team deserved to lose that classic.

Hi Mangani,

Somebody has to lose mate, and being as we are much better at it than yourselves lets leave it as it is, one Trophy every 25 years or so is quite enough for us you know? i think we are due 2 or 3 by now. :gimmefive:

Still havent forgiven the poor decision made by the referee when he allowed your goal while Sammy Lee was lying in an offside position in front of our goal, 1981, at Villa Park, and only 36,693 turned up, all Hammers fans if i remember correctly, something to do with the dole checks being late that week in Liverpool due to a postal strike. :lol:

Still i think our Great record will stand the test of time, cant see any English club beating that Record, ever, you the one i mean dont you?

1964, FA Cup Winners

1965, European Cup Winners Cup Winners

1966, World Cup Winners

Have a Truly Great Season and come away with some Silverware mate.

Kind Regards, Danny

Archived