Led Zeppelin and "Drugs"

lzzoso

Actually you are correct. The only reference to any "drug use" by any member of Led Zeppelin that I can recall is the quote by Robert Plant when giving interviews during the mid 70's is the line that he used, "Actually I gave up cocaine this morning". Of course, I read this in "Hammer of the Gods". I know that this book is usually dismissed by alot of fans on this website, but I still happen to read and like this book. However truthful or inconsistent this book is a matter of conjecture. I mean, if you or me were not there, how can we say that this book is, in fact, obsolete?

Jimmy Page said "Drug taking was a part of it, certainly" when questioned about rock music and magick. JPJ is quoted as having said something to the effect that he was the most likely to disappear with a group of hippies and turn up the next day wandering back. I'm paraphrasing as I don't have the exact quotes handy, but at least those two have alluded either directly or indirectly to partaking.

But as Hickory Man said, they were certainly amongst the tightest-lipped about it at the time. 90% of the Zeppelin drug references during the 70s were courtesy of the writers of Creem magazine! :lol:

As for HOTG, as entertaining as it may be, it's really like something you'd get at a checkstand. A tabloid TMZ-style take on the Zeppelin story. I mean it starts out with the story of soul selling at the crossroads. Shouldn't that set up a red flag at some point? Jimmy himself said he read a few pages and couldn't go further. Stephen Davis took the majority of facts in his book from Ritchie Yorke's book. None of it was first hand. The rest is undocumented filler and fiction (or at least sensationalized fact).

Obsolete in what sense?

Very good point. Even though I did type the word "obsolete" that was not the actual word I was after. Once I re-read my post I thought about editing it and changing that word. After a couple of seconds of thinking about it, I said to myself "Fuck It" and left it in. What I meant by that word was what I was trying to convey about most LZ fans dismissing this book and saying that "Hammer of the Gods" is just a bunch of BS and not a real book representing the true essence of the music or history of the "Mighty Led Zeppelin". I, however, consider it one of the books that made me the "Loyal and Die-Hard Fan" about the legacy of Led Zeppelin that set me on my path. Of course, I mean that in the most positive way (I bought and read the hardcover copy of HOTG) when I was 13 years old and am very grateful that I did.

The only thng 100% factual about "those" books ar the photos.

Othewise they are expensive toilet paper.

This is exactly what I was referring to. It seems to be a matter of opinion. Which books we choose to read (and believe). I have no problem when people refer to certain books as "expensive toilet paper". No problem at all.

Speaking of books, I have read and re-read Mick Wall's book, "When Giants Walked the Earth", and he writes about how John Bonham used to keep and ounce of Cocaine in his lap and used to smother the Cocaine all over his face, mouth and nose, during Led Zeppelin's set. How "true" this is I have no idea. But from what other things I have read about Bonzo this does not surprise me in the least. If any of you out there have read this book and others, would this surprise you? Maybe, maybe not. Not me.

This is exactly what I was referring to. It seems to be a matter of opinion. Which books we choose to read (and believe). I have no problem when people refer to certain books as "expensive toilet paper". No problem at all.

I've often referred to HOTG as "expensive toilet paper". In fact I think I might have coined the phrase! :lol: Seriously! It goes back many years. It might have actually been me! :lol:

And I have no problem with anyone who enjoys the read. Lord knows I did! Many times. I ate, slept and breathed that book for years! And I liked it! LOVED it! I just came to a point where I realized it was a sensationalized version of Led Zeppelin. Mostly true, but stretched in ways. Here and there liberties were taken that skewed the reality for the benefit of making a good and thrilling read. But sooner or later, you have to back up from the table and realize this was the chef's creation for your pleasure. And you wonder if what you just ate was genuine nutritious food, or just some really tasty crap?

I've often referred to HOTG as "expensive toilet paper". In fact I think I might have coined the phrase! :lol: Seriously! It goes back many years. It might have actually been me! :lol:

Wasn't it Jimmy Page himself?

Very likely so. If so, please excuse me. Time has a way of blurring things together! Kinda like Page's playing on the Kinks record. Was that me? :lol:

Haha, it's all good man. But it's my mistake actually, unless there is another quote from Page about it. I'm just sure I remember reading somewhere that he said it was expensive toilet paper. Found this quite just now:

"I think I opened [the book] up in the middle somewhere and started to read it, and I just threw it out the window. I was living by a river then, so it actually found its way to the bottom of the sea"

Haha, it's all good man. But it's my mistake actually, unless there is another quote from Page about it. I'm just sure I remember reading somewhere that he said it was expensive toilet paper. Found this quite just now:

"I think I opened [the book] up in the middle somewhere and started to read it, and I just threw it out the window. I was living by a river then, so it actually found its way to the bottom of the sea"

A ringing endorsement if ever there wasn't one! Suffice it to say Page made his feelings about the book clear! :D

BTW, thanks for being so understanding and tolerant of me. I'm practically sliding off my chair. :lol:

A ringing endorsement if ever there wasn't one! Suffice it to say Page made his feelings about the book clear! :D

BTW, thanks for being so understanding and tolerant of me. I'm practically sliding off my chair. :lol:

Haha, we all know what it's like posting here after a few beers. Well I at least do! :beer:

I don't know how you manage it, after I've had a beverage or two my typing looks like ghjso8 nsttwyit0 jnggg! *hic* @@@

Actually it looks like that at the best of times until I've edited it! :lol:

Don't be too hard on yourself, it makes more sense than some of the gibberers who have posted on here and other threads in recent times!

They claimed they were into the band and are clearly on drugs, not that they would need 'em! :blink:

At least when we've had a few we have a good reason why it all goes to shit. :D

I honestly can't understand why it is that people are always so stuck on Hammer of the Gods. I too read it shortly after it came out, and I'll admit it was interesting to read in some ways. But in terms of a real understanding of Led Zeppelin as a musical band it contributed nothing at all, and there is no good reason whatsoever to waste time on it now. It's not well written, it's whole perspective is needlessly sinister, it's derivative, it's inaccurate in many places and hence unreliable. There are several other books about the band that are much better in all these respects, and they don't try to hide the drugs and the problems either. Are they boring by comparison with HOTG? Not at all - if that's what you think, it only makes me wonder what it is you want in a book.... Horsedung? :unsure:

Drugs were commonplace for the era so be it Zep or any other rock band, very few weren't involved with drugs. Because of that it's not an issue for me. It was a different time and attitudes towards drugs were different. Honestly I don't think it became the taboo subject it has until after the crack epidemic. Once crime and drugs became synonymous is when the serious backlash started. Before that being a doped up rocker was the norm, the straight types expected that from the counterculture.

Drugs were commonplace for the era so be it Zep or any other rock band, very few weren't involved with drugs. Because of that it's not an issue for me. It was a different time and attitudes towards drugs were different. Honestly I don't think it became the taboo subject it has until after the crack epidemic. Once crime and drugs became synonymous is when the serious backlash started. Before that being a doped up rocker was the norm, the straight types expected that from the counterculture.

I feel ya danelectro, and you do have a good point about the time's but, there is also the term's of youth and being at that age group where you want to try lot's of thing's before you get to the end of your younger year's.

We can add that too.

I feel ya danelectro, and you do have a good point about the time's but, there is also the term's of youth and being at that age group where you want to try lot's of thing's before you get to the end of your younger year's.

We can add that too.

Oh kids are trying things in ways we'd never imagined! :lol:

I honestly can't understand why it is that people are always so stuck on Hammer of the Gods. I too read it shortly after it came out, and I'll admit it was interesting to read in some ways. But in terms of a real understanding of Led Zeppelin as a musical band it contributed nothing at all, and there is no good reason whatsoever to waste time on it now. It's not well written, it's whole perspective is needlessly sinister, it's derivative, it's inaccurate in many places and hence unreliable. There are several other books about the band that are much better in all these respects, and they don't try to hide the drugs and the problems either. Are they boring by comparison with HOTG? Not at all - if that's what you think, it only makes me wonder what it is you want in a book.... Horsedung? :unsure:

It's closer to a Danielle Steele novel than a biography. Fabio should have been on the cover rather than the band.

I bothers me that H got into their scene. It definitely affected a certain member from '77 and beyond.

As Page would and has said: Dancing on a precipice!

I think the fistfuls of coke were more a matter of the touring scene. The hash-oiled joints. Personally I don't think the whole heroin thing really entered into the Zeppelin world until the last few years. Much of what they did might have been influenced with a joint, a snort, and a few hits off the bottle. It might have fueled the lifestyle, but I don't think it really influenced the music. You wake up the next morning and say "Woah, I don't think so!" I don't think they were ever so in the bag they'd let something go out like that.

We also always believed it was more a matter of the touring scene. When the band left town most, if not all, returned to their "normal" lives and we assumed that, when the Zep guys' returned to England, they did too. But in the band's later years, I no longer believed that drugs were just a part of the touring scene.

I remember being shocked and scared when H got into their scene. Until then, I had thought that the certain member who it affected was above or immune to all that.

Archived