Ludwig Vitalite Zep Set...

NextLegacy

Never cared for the tone of acrylic drums but if I did I wouldn't pay $2800. Used vintage Vistalites can be bought pretty cheap. Just saw a 4 piece red with a mismatched amber snare on craigslist for $950, I've seen several kits in the $700-1200 range in the past few months. Always thought the amber was fugly anyway, the blue and clear look better to my eyes.

Seems like the newer ones are too orange, too. Bonzo's kit was more "amber" colored. I fooled around on a Fibes kit at the NAMM show once, and I LOVED the bass drum. Toms, not so much. I've heard the Vistalites sometimes can crack, too.

Hmm... Acrylic kits sounds loud? Never played any, I guess I'll try to get a maple kit... Nevermind, anyone know where I could find good price for a ludwig vistalite zep set? if I can get lower than $2700 I'll go for it! And do you know which cymbals I should be looking for that sounds like bonham's ones?

Hmm... Acrylic kits sounds loud? Never played any, I guess I'll try to get a maple kit... Nevermind, anyone know where I could find good price for a ludwig vistalite zep set? if I can get lower than $2700 I'll go for it! And do you know which cymbals I should be looking for that sounds like bonham's ones?

Well if you insist on the acrylics, I cetainly won't stand in your way! :D

Cymbals: Paiste 2002 Series: 24" ride (which he also used as a heavy crash), 20" Crash, 18" Crash and 15" Paiste 2002 Sound Edge Hi-Hats.

In the end though, it's 99% in your touch. :beer:

Don't forget the Ching Ring!

215336.jpg

Look what I found, it sounds good to me.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Paiste-2002-Bo...816-i1171831.gc

Well that takes the mystery out of it, however I'm a bit dubious about the two different 18" crashes. I know he added a third crash over his floor toms in the latter years. That may have been the second 18. But I'm almost positive the classic setup was an 18 and a 20.

Here's what is purported to be his actual endorsement receipt (note towards the bottom when they made the switch from the Giant Beat Series to the 2002s):

Should add his 20" crash was in fact a 20" ride cymbal.

liste.jpg

Hmm, it's hard to tell, I went on paiste website to check sounds, if you say that he put that medium 18'' later it must be that.

Another question there: Does acrylic kit sound different compared to the maple kit? I guess yes, but how different? Do you only see the difference in the loudness?

I'll defer to the true drummers on this one, but to my ears the acrylics have a very loud smack, while the maple sounds nice and toney. Compare and contrast RAH and HTWWW with TSRTS and Earl's Court. A much more woodsy sound. The acrylics are more like an assault weapon. They lack warmth.

*edit to add* Bonham always used a steel Suprophonic snare, so factor that out of the contrasting. We're talking toms and bass drums only. ;)

Archived