Steve Vai Thread

TurnThePage24

I like Vai and I saw him in concert a few years ago. Bit too "guitar God" on stage. I thought the guy who opened for him was better in some respects - Eric Sardinas.

Their music is kind of different though. Very different actually. Eric plays blues, Steve plays rock. Eric sounds repetitive after a few songs while Vai is one of the most creative guitar players I've seen. But yeah, Sardinas is great too, he plays with a lot of passion and emotion. I saw him live a few months ago and he played a song unplugged, without any microphones, nor for his guitar or voice. But there still was an energy, it was pretty mind-blowing.

Their music is kind of different though. Very different actually. Eric plays blues, Steve plays rock. Eric sounds repetitive after a few songs while Vai is one of the most creative guitar players I've seen. But yeah, Sardinas is great too, he plays with a lot of passion and emotion. I saw him live a few months ago and he played a song unplugged, without any microphones, nor for his guitar or voice. But there still was an energy, it was pretty mind-blowing.

Yes that's very true that Eric is more blues based. When I saw him, he was plugged in but it was just him on stage and not ever having heard of him, I was pretty impressed. Don't get me wrong, I think Vai is a great guitar player, I just thought he was a little too over the top on stage.

Steve Vai is one hell of a player! I know some are put off by his on stage grandeur but I think that's just part of the Steve Vai experience. He has got the talent to back it up so the crazy outfits, and the fan blowing his hair wildly about etc...doesn't bother me in the least.

Those unfamiliar with his body of work think he's just another one of those "shredder" type of players but if you've followed his carrer from beginning to the presesnt you know what a well rounded player he is and that he is much more than a "shredder."

Also worth mentioning: that a friend of mine met him before a show once and says he's one of the nicest people he's ever met.

Favourite record: Passion & Warfare

Favourite Songs: For The Love Of God, The Animal, Tender Surrender, Warm Regards, Building The Church... to name a few....

i also met him on his last tour in Europe , and he was very friendly and a nice guy.He took all the time to talk with some fans and we could take pictures etc...

For a great musical experience try the dvd :Steve Vai Sound Theories .That's the one with the Dutch Orchestra.This is fantastic stuff...

I saw him in the Dave lee Roth band in 1988 and liked his stuff on the skyscraper album, also in Whitesnake in 1990. I prefer his stuff in a band format than his solo stuff. He is no doubt a very talentd musician. I like his off the wall aproach to even the most standard rock song.

Also liked some of the stuff on Frank Zappa lps.

I've just found out that he'll be coming to Romania in about two weeks from now. He will be a special guest on a very popular, annual Romanian show/contest. He probably won't play a full-time concert but a few songs will do too, although I doubt that the Romanian public will appreciate this kind of music. I've never attended this show and I think that I never will again, there's usually crappy music. Actually, in Romania, there's only crappy music. Anywhere!

So, Steve Vai is one of my favourite players and biggest influences. I know I'm not alone in this respect. Speak up Vai fans. I'll start. Fave Album-Passion and Warfare Fave Song-Frank

How's it going "TurnThePage24" as well as our fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? I hope that all of you had a great weekend.

As for Steve Vai, I would consider myself a little more than an average fan. I am especially familiar with Steve Vai's work with David Lee Roth. I really like both, the EAT 'EM AND SMILE (1986) and the SKYSCRAPER (1988) albums, both of these albums are Roth's best recorded works to date since he left Van Halen until he returned to home to the Van Halen fold recently.

I saw the G3 tour at the Reno Hilton on 12 October 2003 in Reno Nevada. Seeing Joe Satriani, Steve Vai and Yngwie Malmsteen perform their own separate sets before joining forces together, at the same time, on the same stage, was incredible. Have you seen the G3 LIVE IN DENVER DVD yet? This DVD kicks ass! ROCK ON!

• 1 month later...

I love that tune! It's so heavy! And Vai is such a character with the silver paint hehe. Badass.

OMG - isn't that just awesome. HEAVY!

I recognize the first few licks as being from the movie Crossroads, but with different bassline.

It was part of the guitar duel between Steve and Ralph Macchio(or should I say Eric Clapton).

I used to like guitarist like Vai back in the 80's when I was in my teens. It's not that I think it's bad or anything, but it's just not my cup of tea anymore. I think if the music production didn't sound so "metallic" or "artificial" I would appreciate it more though.

• 1 year later...

Steve Vai "How to be Successful"

:redcard:

Sorry there pal, you have posted the same in two threads..:oops: , The Forum police will have your guts for garters if caught , but its ok I will be behind you.............about 3000 miles behind :). Good postt again, but disapointed as just watched it in your other thread :(

PS he still is morphing into Jim Carey

:redcard:

Sorry there pal, you have posted the same in two threads..:oops: , The Forum police will have your guts for garters if caught , but its ok I will be behind you.............about 3000 miles behind :). Good postt again, but disapointed as just watched it in your other thread :(

PS he still is morphing into Jim Carey

guilty as charged...

Archived