Forum update

sam_webmaster

This is a point of concern to me as well. There can be a lot of infighting in this crowd, and being able to zap someone is just one more outlet for the vindictive. In the words of Han Solo "I have a bad feeling about this".

My feeling too.

Overall congrats, Sam, but this "Reputation" thing--sometimes called "Karma" on other sites, or something similar, has always been trouble and led to unnecessary fights. We've got enough reasons for necessary fights! :lol:

S

L

O

W

E

R

T

H

A

N

M

O

L

A

S

S

I

S

I

N

J

A

N

U

A

R

Y

I commented to someone who also belongs to this site on Facebook that I thought it was slower than cold molasses. ;)

It's quick to load unless you try to post something.

Otherwise, the new formatting looks great.

I also don't like the doodads on the homepage of the forum. It seems that I see a lot of the issues Medb complained about.

Sometimes it's running slow today but then I don't know if it's the board or my connection. Overall I've no complaints - the font looks a wee bit smaller - either that or I need to go to the eye doctor :blink::D

I do agree about the points/karma gadget. I think it's a recipe for disaster IMO.

Sometimes it's running slow today but then I don't know if it's the board or my connection. Overall I've no complaints - the font looks a wee bit smaller - either that or I need to go to the eye doctor :blink::D

I do agree about the points/karma gadget. I think it's a recipe for disaster IMO.

It's probably a bit of both.

I've had spotty connection today, and it's driving me crazy. I've had to play with it on and off several times today.

Stupid internet. <_<

I'm replying to this post in the full editor, not the fast reply at the bottom of each page and it looks exactly the same as it did with the old software. All the formatting buttons [bold, italic, underline, adding a picture, adding a link, adding smilies] are horizontal across the top of the reply box (just like before).

When I look at the threads posted in the Ramble On forum, I see more than 4 topics. So I don't know why there's only 4 coming up for you, but it's not the software I don't think. I also don't see what button you pushed to reduce your text to only 2 lines. Maybe you can a screenshot or something? That way if it's something on your end, we can help fix it so that you have the same user experience everyone else does.

IE 6. It looks fine in Firefox!

It's probably a bit of both.

I've had spotty connection today, and it's driving me crazy. I've had to play with it on and off several times today.

Stupid internet. <_<

Personal Observations:

The post content type is waaay too small. Perhaps through use of my board settings I can modify the font size.

Edit: Apparently board display settings are no longer offered.

I really do not like how New Content is displayed as I much prefer reading in single lines left to right as opposed to a left-justified four lines from top to bottom. This has resulted in a vast wasteland of blank screen space.

Edit: I changed the setting to "view as a list" and it resolved that.

I really do not like the Add Reply / Previous Post / Cancel buttons being about six inches down from this box I am typing in. It means even with a 19" monitor I have to scroll down with a mouse prior to each and every post to find them and make a selection. Seems to me they should appear immediately below this box, with the attachment functions underneath them as the majority of posts do not contain attachments.

The search function is on the right where profile settings used to be, which are now on the left, but if I Bing, Yahoo, Google or Ebay the search field is always on the left.

Emoticons were always on the left, now they are on the right. Fair enough, but "Show All" would be expected to be atop the emoticon index, not the bottom, since they drop down. A minor quibble, yes.

I find the inclusion of interests, let alone location, gender, and certainly joined to be pointless distraction from post content. Same for signature

files, but there seems to be no board setting to remove them all.

If you edit a post it is highlighted as if it were a federal crime. It used to

be a modest disclaimer, afforded the minimal attention it deserves.

This overall new format? Less user friendly than the previous one. I honestly don't know if I'm going to make it (and there was much rejoicing).

The post content type is very small. Perhaps through use of my board settings I can modify the font size.

I couldn't agree more.....Sam, some members of the board are on their forties, or over.....we need reading glasses, you know? :P

This overall new format? Less user friendly than the previous one.

I agree, Steve

That makes me feel better. I bought a new computer last week, and I was wondering what I had done to it!<_<

Nine will get you ten that calender in the lower right hand corner is partially responsible :slapface: Keeps track of everything people date into it...

If I'm not imagining it, and that "Reputation" thing has already gone, then :notworthy::notworthy:

:D

So it appears! Evidently the voices are being heard! :D

Yeah Steve, the modifications continue! I like this font better. A bit more classy than plain old Ariel.

Keep it coming Sam!! You're on a roll!!! :beer:

Yup, the reputation has departed and the font is different - not sure if I like this font, though. I prefer fonts like Tahoma and Verdana myself, but you gotta roll with the punches!

You'll adapt! We all do! :D

I like serifs myself. In the appropriate places. :beer:

Agreed. It's damn near perfection now.

Yes! I'm actually beginning to like it! And performance has improved greatly. Thank you Sam!! For your dedication, making the improvements, and dealing with all of us :D

• Administrators

Also depends on your computer/monitor. On my Mac, which I use most of the time, it looks nicer with this font.

I'm going to add a second skin tomorrow and you'll be able to select whichever one you prefer.

There's still some glitches to work out, but once you get used to it, this newer software upgrade really is much better.

And the "Reputation" function should be disabled now, due to popular vote.

Archived