Buddy Rich v.s. John Bonham

Ok OK I know everybodys going to say bonham was but before you do check out some of buddy richs videos on youtube before you do. In my personal opinion rich was the better drummer in his prime. Just my opinion. (God I hope im not opening up a can of worms with this topic)

Ok OK I know everybodys going to say bonham was but before you do check out some of buddy richs videos on youtube before you do. In my personal opinion rich was the better drummer in his prime. Just my opinion. (God I hope im not opening up a can of worms with this topic)

I favor Rock'n'Roll over Big Band, although I like them both.... so for that perference alone, I can say that Bonham is the better Rock'n'Roll Drummer.....

But it's all a matter of personal opinion anyway.

Seeing as I hear Bonham's sound and style almost everywhere from rock to hip hop to even t.v commercials I go with Bonham. He obviously had something that almost everyone wanted.

Pointless comparison...it's like apples and oranges and adds nothing relevant to the conversation.

Why pit them AGAINST each other? Most of us think BOTH are great drummers! As are Gene Krupa, Rashied Ali, Elvin Jones, Keith Moon, among others.

This whole "drummer X" vs. "drummer Y" or "guitarist A" vs. "guitarist B" is wearisome.

And yes, Bonzo would probably have said Buddy was better...and Krupa, too.

Seeing as I hear Bonham's sound and style almost everywhere from rock to hip hop to even t.v commercials I go with Bonham. He obviously had something that almost everyone wanted.

When I hear hip hop, I don't recognize anything related to Led Zeppelin.

Pointless comparison...it's like apples and oranges and adds nothing relevant to the conversation.

Why pit them AGAINST each other? Most of us think BOTH are great drummers! As are Gene Krupa, Rashied Ali, Elvin Jones, Keith Moon, among others.

This whole "drummer X" vs. "drummer Y" or "guitarist A" vs. "guitarist B" is wearisome.

And yes, Bonzo would probably have said Buddy was better...and Krupa, too.

Agreed. As well as Max Roach also.

It's indeed a pointless comparison. Speed. Power. We're talking styles and genres. Both drummers have dazzled my mind for decades. R.I.P. both of them. The world is short two of the greatest drummers it's ever known. I like to envision Buddy up there asking Bonzo how the hell he played such big damn drums, son! And Bonzo saying he nicked that crossover move from Buddy. And then they look down and see us making this comparison, and head to the Pub of Heaven for a pint! :beer:

Buddy has the edge on speed. Bonzo has the edge in power.

They would have been one hell of a drummer had they combined their talents into one.

I understand what youre saying I guess thats what blew me away when watching rich was his speed and accuracy at which he played.

I understand what youre saying I guess thats what blew me away when watching rich was his speed and accuracy at which he played.

It's okay to be impressed with speed....

But ... the "fastest" Guitarist ... is not the "Best" Guitarist.

The speed crown for drumming... gives you the speediest Drummer... that's all...

Anyways... I would never choose another drummer, living or otherwise, to drum for Led Zeppelin, if Bonzo was available...

No One!!

When I hear hip hop, I don't recognize anything related to Led Zeppelin.

If you haven't heard any Bonham related stuff in rap or hip hop then you haven't been listening. It not just the odd sample here and there but also the style and heavy pounding drive taken from Bonham. Directly or indirectly, it's still Bonham. His influence with his drumming style and sound is still felt. That's what I'm saying....and not just in rock.

If you haven't heard any Bonham related stuff in rap or hip hop then you haven't been listening. It not just the odd sample here and there but also the style and heavy pounding drive taken from Bonham. Directly or indirectly, it's still Bonham. His influence with his drumming style and sound is still felt. That's what I'm saying....and not just in rock.

That's right, I haven't been listening. I don't listen to rap or hip hop. When it comes on the TV, I turn the channel, quicker than you can say; "Oh, shit!".

Saw 'em both twice. Buddy Rich was just ridiculous, I'm thinking the best EVER! Bonzo is my favorite, but you can't compare the jazz guys and the rock guys. There's a great story in Bill Graham's book about how he hated most rock drum solos, so he had Buddy Rich open up for Iron Butterfly. Then he went backstage and enjoyed sarcastically telling the Butterfly drummer "Hey, GREAT solo tonight, man!" knowing how Buddy had blown him away.

That's right, I haven't been listening. I don't listen to rap or hip hop. When it comes on the TV, I turn the channel, quicker than you can say; "Oh, shit!".

LOL, fair enough. I can't argue with any of your points. I understand.

First off crap uhhh cuse me rap music has very little real drumming in there songs. They usually have those crappy drum machines that these talentless goofs use because they can't play a real instrument. Also they rip off a lot of other artists work or sample songs cause they can't make there own real sounds.

Archived