Which are your favourite live years of Zeppelin?

Zoso94T

My personal favourite years are:

1969,Because of the intensity,and the fact that something new and influental (you guessed it,ZEP!),had arrived!!! :)

1977,because i like the playing,and as a guitarist i'm really fascinated by Jimmy,(even if sometimes he was a little sloppy :D ),i think that they were very cool by then B),and my beloved album Presence,was at their playlist :D

1980,because they were ready for a new begining,and intensive as always!!

1969,Because of the intensity,and the fact that something new and influental (you guessed it,ZEP!),had arrived!!! :)

1977,because i like the playing,and as a guitarist i'm really fascinated by Jimmy,(even if sometimes he was a little sloppy :D ),i think that they were very cool by then B),and my beloved album Presence,was at their playlist :D

1972 - 1973. The best playing as a band firing on all cylinders. Great setlists. There was still songs where they jammed forever like D&C, WLL, & NQ but they also concentrated on more compact songs like the Ocean, Dancing Days, & MMH. All around my favorite tours. The few 79'shows are my favorite setlists though.

1972 - 1973. The best playing as a band firing on all cylinders. Great setlists. There was still songs where they jammed forever like D&C, WLL, & NQ but they also concentrated on more compact songs like the Ocean, Dancing Days, & MMH. All around my favorite tours. The few 79'shows are my favorite setlists though.

You're right,i think that the best playing was between 1969 - 1972,especially in 1972,although as i mentioned before, 1969,1977,and 1980 are my favourite years.1975 was great too,just watch some Dazed and Confused perfomances and... :thumbsup:

I listened to ''How the West Was won'',a live compilation of two 1972 performances,and i was blasted :D

• 1 month later...

I can only speak for 1973 and 1975. The set list at both was amazing and these four literally just put you in a trance. Amazing times.

I was scheduled for 1977, but tragedy came to Robert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL781hmfDYY

This link will take you to a lot of the music that night. I wished I could find actual video!!

• 2 weeks later...

1969,Because of the intensity,and the fact that something new and influental (you guessed it,ZEP!),had arrived!!! smile.gif

1977,because i like the playing,and as a guitarist i'm really fascinated by Jimmy,(even if sometimes he was a little sloppy biggrin.gif ),i think that they were very cool by then cool.gif,and my beloved album Presence,was at their playlist biggrin.gif

yeah i agree with u on the 1977 tour page was good although sloppy

Based on seeing them in person, the August 1970 show and the May 1977 shows were the very best.

March 1975 wadn't bad either.

The 1971 and 1973 shows were OK, but there were ill band members on each occasion.

Bootleg shows..... I'd say 1969 was a very good year ! :D

yeah i agree with u on the 1977 tour page was good although sloppy

I enjoy the drugged up, drunk and sexiness so to speak of Jimmy's playing in '77, although at times it really isn't that listenable. After all it was 1977!

• 2 weeks later...

1970 - 1973 are my favorites, however the No Quater jams of 77' are just as mind blowing as the Dazed & Confused jams of 73' and the Trampled Under Foot jams of 80' were a sign of things to come. 1975 was cool too. Its as if they went forward in time to see what they would do in 77' and mash that into what they were doing in 73'.

As I never actually saw them live, I am going only from bootlegs and official releases of live material, and of course the available video stuff. For me there can be no doubt that the band peaked live in the period 1971-early 1973. Apart from the occasional illnesses or other problems, the band had been touring quite intensively for more than two years already by the start of 1971. No problems with heavy drugs, Robert's voice still pretty consistent (although getting progressively worse in the later part of this period) - and as a rule the band delivers, you get really good performances in most cases. 1972 is really good. There are considerations in different setlists, and some great songs were added for the 1977 tour, but the snag is that the overall quality of the performances is a lot weaker than on previous tours (check out White Summer/Black Mountain Side for a very clear example). Another thing is that they tended to make No Quarter and Dazed & Confused extremely long on the 1975 tour, at a price it seems to me, because the unity and integral quality of the songs as such gets a bit lost in the jamming extravaganza - I usually prefer early versions of these two songs, although of course there are differences in quality also between individual performances on each tour.

1972 - 1973. The best playing as a band firing on all cylinders. Great setlists. There was still songs where they jammed forever like D&C, WLL, & NQ but they also concentrated on more compact songs like the Ocean, Dancing Days, & MMH.

I agree, and many shows from 71 are as good, if not better, than any of the 72-73 shows.

Had the band kept a consistency like the 73 European shows during the 77 tour, that would have been their best year.

For me it has to be the period from 69 to the end of the 72 North American Tour. It was all about the music the performance and that unbelievable connection that was established with the audience. Powerful,dynamic and a presence that left you wondering if what you'd just seen and heard was even legal :o Bad ass stuff.

Others years maybe had better spells or one off performances but for consistantly great shows I don't think you can beat 1970.

Gotta agree Greenman, they grew wings in 1970. Even just listening in and comparing the two NA Tours that year you can tell the band was on it's way to the summit and getting very close to reaching it

Gotta agree Greenman, they grew wings in 1970. Even just listening in and comparing the two NA Tours that year you can tell the band was on it's way to the summit and getting very close to reaching it

That made me smile, Ally... Yup, they were getting really close.... to 1971! :lol:

That made me smile, Ally... Yup, they were getting really close.... to 1971! :lol:

LOL Otto :wave:

Yeah,for me 71 was their peak but like most things, the fun is in the getting there.

The whole band was phenomenal but Jimmy's playing and improvisation was on a different planet during that time frame. The boots really don't do him or the band justice

Archived