Which are your favourite live years of Zeppelin?

Zoso94T

LOL Otto :wave:

Yeah,for me 71 was their peak but like most things, the fun is in the getting there.

The whole band was phenomenal but Jimmy's playing and improvisation was on a different planet during that time frame. The boots really don't do him or the band justice

:wave: Yeah, well, I think in the main we see this pretty similarly, although I would perhaps place the peak slightly later than you do, in 1972. They were an unusually strong band right from the start, but then toured so much in 1969, 1970, 1971, and 1972 - they became phenomenally "tight" for a band that really played in a "loose" kind of way.

:wave: Yeah, well, I think in the main we see this pretty similarly, although I would perhaps place the peak slightly later than you do, in 1972. They were an unusually strong band right from the start, but then toured so much in 1969, 1970, 1971, and 1972 - they became phenomenally "tight" for a band that really played in a "loose" kind of way.

True enough Otto. The band had so much youthful energy and the audience was craving everything that was thrown at them. It was a win, win

Gotta agree Greenman, they grew wings in 1970. Even just listening in and comparing the two NA Tours that year you can tell the band was on it's way to the summit and getting very close to reaching it

Plus I think they had a near ideal setlist, pretty much every track they played was something they could really get there teath into such as Thank You, Bring It on Home, Since I'v been Loving You etc pretty much everything was greatly altered from the album versions.

As I said I think Japan 71, euro 73 etc were better spells of shows but I'v not heard a show from 1970 that wasnt great while I'v heard a few from those years that there a bit uninspired.

Plus I think they had a near ideal setlist, pretty much every track they played was something they could really get there teath into such as Thank You, Bring It on Home, Since I'v been Loving You etc pretty much everything was greatly altered from the album versions.

As I said I think Japan 71, euro 73 etc were better spells of shows but I'v not heard a show from 1970 that wasnt great while I'v heard a few from those years that there a bit uninspired.

Hard to argue with that Greenman. I wish I had been able to see the second NA tour that year but Vancouver was not included. It would have been great to compare the two tours in person. I'm still sticking to 72 as being the end of the peak cycle but agree that 73 had it's share of uninspired shows. Vancouver being one of them

My favorite live year would be between '71 and '72. Especially the Australian/New Zealand tour in '72, the band was on fire the entire time. That being said, '77 was pretty great also (all sloppiness aside.)

The Knebworth shows were fantastic, but can't say that the enitre '79 year was because the first of the two warm-up shows at the Faulkner (sp?) theater was pretty weak. Just listen to the epic sour note in the intro to Nobody's fault But Mine if you don't believe me.

However, everyone has a soft-spot for the blues jams of '68 and '69, and I'm no exception.

My favorite live year would be between '71 and '72. Especially the Australian/New Zealand tour in '72, the band was on fire the entire time. That being said, '77 was pretty great also (all sloppiness aside.)

The Knebworth shows were fantastic, but can't say that the enitre '79 year was because the first of the two warm-up shows at the Faulkner (sp?) theater was pretty weak. Just listen to the epic sour note in the intro to Nobody's fault But Mine if you don't believe me.

However, everyone has a soft-spot for the blues jams of '68 and '69, and I'm no exception.

I thought the second Faulkner show was the best performance that year personally and even the first one was still way ahead of the poor second Knedworth show.

Archived