We've seen this before somewhere...

guitarmy

I'd like to compare the launch of Them Crooked Vultures (TCV) with the way Led Zeppelin handled their PR way back when.

Right now there is a lot of hype about TCV that has been created by having a great band and then starving fans of content.

Sure we've seen a lot more content than they would back in 60s/70s, but it's nowhere near the amount of coverage that pops up for other bands in this day and age.

I think it's a great way to start a band.

They have a sound that everyone wants to hear, but not too many have actually heard them.

We first heard about TCV in 2005, and I bet you if they gave us minute to minute updates since 2005 then no one would give a shit. When this all of sudden came back on the radar and they ALREADY had an album, we knew they meant business. So then we heard they were playing live and they are now an instant sensation after rave reviews.

Is it moral to create this hype? Well that depends on if they live up to it or not. If so, then yeah I would starve the hell out of my fans so that all I had to do was whisper in their ear.

In this day and age, it only works because everyone in this new band is well known.

Hey, it worked for a band that JPJ was in :)

And they didn't have the internet in the late 60s through the 70s (duh). So imagine what that was like for starved Led Zeppelin fans! (I'm sure some of you know)

Just listen to everyone crying for "MORE MORE MORE"!

It worked for Led Zeppelin and it's working for Them Crooked Vultures too. I wasn't even alive back then and I can see that.

Some people are getting pissed off at this tactic actually. But are they not going to listen to their music just because they don't like their PR strategy? Sounds immature.

Everyone in the know needs to just chill.

A quality rock album is on the way, and a quality live act will follow it. I'll let the hype catch my first glance and let the music keep my attention.

I think they wanted to collaborate discreetly and avoid hype until they had product. Now that the album's in the can, they can dangle it out there with surprize gigs and such. However I believe they want to test the animal in front of a crowd without being stormed by legions of fans. Smart marketing imo. Keep inrigue low and shock the hell out of unexpecting audiences! :D

I find it all rather interesting but then I appreciate mystery and the mysterious. Sure they could just release a list of tour dates and get on with it, but the approach they have taken has people collaborating and discussing the

tour as it unfolds. Really enjoy this word of mouth approach to it all, as opposed to a bland press release and a

firm album release date. The only downside has been the occasional hoax or two.

I find it all rather interesting but then I appreciate mystery and the mysterious. Sure they could just release a list of tour dates and get on with it, but the approach they have taken has people collaborating and discussing the

tour as it unfolds. Really enjoy this word of mouth approach to it all, as opposed to a bland press release and a

firm album release date. The only downside has been the occasional hoax or two.

Or they might not even know themselves what they are gonna do!

Yeah the alternative is a watered down story that really is just the same old crap we're used to anyways. Reporters tend to make things up either inadvertently or on purpose and then rumors spring from them. Perhaps it's better to say little to nothing at all. I suppose hoaxes will occur either way.

I see these hard dates being released at some point, and the longer they hold out on that, the more excited we'll get.

Archived