Videos and songs

Mary Hartman

Zebra is a hard rock band that came together in 1975 in New Orleans, Louisiana. It features Randy Jackson (guitar and vocals), Felix Hanemann (bass, keyboards and vocals) and Guy Gelso (drums and vocals). Their mainstream debut on Atlantic Records was in 1983, highlighted by the singles "Tell Me What You Want" and "Who's Behind The Door". Like Twisted Sister, Zebra cut their teeth on the East Coast club circuit, frequently playing at clubs on Long Island, NY.

Zebra started their career by playing covers of Led Zeppelin, Moody Blues and Rush songs: it was their early fans' reaction to their Led Zeppelin renditions that helped convince the band to bring their act to New York.

They had introduced their original material into their cover sets years before they were signed to Atlantic Records, including "The La La Song", "Free" and "Bears" (originally entitled "The Bears are Hibernating").

Zebra had been noticed as an original act to contend with by local colleges and even had some of their early original performances recorded by Long Island FM radio station WBAB, culminating in the inclusion of one of their songs on a release of "WBAB's Homegrown Album", which commemorated some of the station's best local acts and performances culled from their on-air "Homegrown Hour" program.

The band continued to tour throughout the 1980s and 1990s, and in 2003 released their first album of all-new material since 1986. A DVD of recent live performances, mostly from a show at the House of Blues in New Orleans, was released in the summer of 2007.

[edit] Trivia

Jackson explained how the band came up with their name:

“ We were sitting around an uptown New Orleans bar called the Boot trying to come up with a name ... after a few pitchers of beer, we saw a picture of a lady riding a Zebra (actually from a 1926 Vogue magazine cover) on the wall, liked the image and decided that was it. ”

In late 1982, Jason Flom signed Zebra to a five-record deal with Atlantic, although only the first was guaranteed. The self-titled debut, Zebra, was released on March 25, 1983 and became the fastest selling debut record in Atlantic Records history, selling 75,000 copies in the first week. The album stayed on the Billboard charts for eight months, peaking at number 29.

Progressive metal band Dream Theater covered the Zebra song "Take Your Fingers From My Hair" for the special edition of their 2009 album, Black Clouds and Silver Linings.

Currently, ( as of 2008-2009) Drummer and vocalist Guy Gelso has relocated to Texas and while still performing with Zebra, he also has a side project with a band named DoubleBack out of Rosenberg,Tx

Feeling good as I have had fun on 2 campuses all day.

Beat, good evening all.

Enjoy RG, sad how we lost him.

xxxooo

PS I heard students whispering "That is sooooo cool." It made me feel really great.

Thank you U.N.CA. Looks like an awesome set of new Freshmen this year too. I will cross my fingers :P

And THANK YOU SAM and The Official Led Zeppelin Forum members>>>>>Carry foward!

Charlie!! Talk about memories. I have the Zebra album, the only one they made as far as I know. We used to go see them at Old Man Rivers. Randy, Felix and Guy.... OMG --the nights we all partied. This band was great!!

That band is still great!biggrin.gif they have an active website as well, www.thedoor.com

Here's Randy with the New Jersey Philharmonic Orchestra performing Kashmiresmile.gif

That band is still great!biggrin.gif they have an active website as well, www.thedoor.com

Here's Randy with the New Jersey Philharmonic Orchestra performing Kashmiresmile.gif

Randy is really one of the most underrated guitarist. And his voice is awesome as well. This is great, I am going to the website now, maybe they will be playing somewhere local the next time I go back home to The Big Easy (in a few weekends). I would love to see them again as it has been too long!!

Hello Charlie!

I'll PM you later today, just exchanged a couple of emails with Randy!!

A blast from the past just for you young ladycool.gif

uploaded it today.

Thank you Sir! I remember around 1981-1989 (I left NO in 89) quite a few of us would see these guys every chance we got. Many times their music would bring me to tears, because I was missing LZ. I talked with a friend today who said Randy can still hold those high notes.

It was great to converse with him today.I really can't wait to see them again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf23odpPtX0

Thank you Sir! I remember around 1981-1989 (I left NO in 89) quite a few of us would see these guys every chance we got. Many times their music would bring me to tears, because I was missing LZ. I talked with a friend today who said Randy can still hold those high notes.

It was great to converse with him today.I really can't wait to see them again.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=tf23odpPtX0

Hi Deborah,

Here's some old memories did you ever take the weekend cruises on the "President?"biggrin.gif

president.jpg

lr_1982-02-11-NewOrleansRiverboatPr.jpg

198220-20October20Tour_1982-02-1120.jpg

I'll bet Tangerine get's all giddy over this onebiggrin.gif

Archived