how many of you actually saw zepp in concert and when{pre 1980 only}

ledbagelz

I saw Zeppelin at MSG in New York on Fri. June 10, 1977. During Stairway To Heaven, I remember like it was yesterday Plant saying "Does anyone remember....FORESTS?" with a giggle because he psyched us out.

[...]

It's bound to happen, old fans showing up on this site to recollect. :)

We're coming out of the woodwork, aren't we? :)

It is wonderful to have geezers here, I agree. Makes me all warm and fuzzy knowing I'm not alone. :lol:

Nothing can compare to the first tours, we had such close contact to them, and it was IN your face.

B)

:lol: Geezers!? :lol: It's amazing to think of how accessible they were in the early days! "IN your face" indeed.

. :hysterical::whistling:

:ph34r:

Mobile, Alabama May 13, 1973.....UP FRONT!!!!!....was looking up at Jimmy.......got an unused ticket to Louisianna Superdome July 30, 1977......this is where Plant came into New Orleans hotel and found out Karac had died.......and end of US touring. See link.

http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z237/jr...dome7-30-77.jpg

My only Zep show was July 1973 at Madison Square Garden in NYC. I still have the ticket stub. I've seen Tull about 30 times. First Tull show was November 1972 at Madison Square Garden in NYC.

You were there for the filming of TSRTS......it was 3 nights......you saw a fine memorable show!!!

First night at Madison Square Garden in April, 1973. I think they started filming TSRTS on night two. Second time was in Cleveland in 1977, the Presence tour. Still have very vivid memories from both shows.

I first saw the lads at Newcastle in 1969,the 1st tour,Then twice more at the "Toon" in the 70's. Also at the 1970 Bath rock festival which woz MEGA...On the the 1st tour they were supported by Liverpool scene who were pretty crap,,and Blodwyn Pig who were superb...I'm pretty sure the ticket for the 1st gig woz sumthin stupid like £1 !!!!!!!!!!! Can you believe it,a quid to SEE ZEPP....Oh happy days...I'm sure a 2 day ticket for Bath woz £3-10bob in old money...shit thats £3.50!!!!!!!!!!!!

I first saw the lads at Newcastle in 1969,the 1st tour,Then twice more at the "Toon" in the 70's. Also at the 1970 Bath rock festival which woz MEGA...On the the 1st tour they were supported by Liverpool scene who were pretty crap,,and Blodwyn Pig who were superb...I'm pretty sure the ticket for the 1st gig woz sumthin stupid like £1 !!!!!!!!!!! Can you believe it,a quid to SEE ZEPP....Oh happy days...I'm sure a 2 day ticket for Bath woz £3-10bob in old money...shit thats £3.50!!!!!!!!!!!!

1st tour ? They did English dates in '68, Newcastle October 4....were you maybe at one of those ?

I just checked and realized quid is slang for pound ? I never knew that....:lol:

And you were at Bath '70 ! Excellent. I think I saw were Aquamarine was at that too...better check on that...

Welcome !!!

First night at Madison Square Garden in April, 1973. I think they started filming TSRTS on night two. Second time was in Cleveland in 1977, the Presence tour. Still have very vivid memories from both shows.

Sorry but you're incorrect. They were in France in April of 73. I saw them in Mobile, Al in May of 73 and TSRTS was definately shot at the 3 nights in July 73 at MSG-NY. Check the "Timeline"....it verifys it. Best Regards.

JR

Sorry but you're incorrect. They were in France in April of 73. I saw them in Mobile, Al in May of 73 and TSRTS was definately shot at the 3 nights in July 73 at MSG-NY. Check the "Timeline"....it verifys it. Best Regards.

JR

Is there a listing of shows somewhere? I think they were at MSG on at least two different occasions during 1973.

Cleveland, April 1977

I always smile when I think about that show!

I've heard that Cleveland show was awsome.......I bet it was good. Did you have good seats?? I "almost saw them again in 77.....I've still got my Superdome cancelled ticket....it was where the tour ended and Robert came to New Orleans and found out about his son.

Yes.... click on this http://www.ledzeppelin.com/timelinebrowse you can then click on 1973. They were only there the once and it was July and the last shows of the 73 tour....i think.

Yes, thanks Joelmon and JRich for letting me know about the timeline. A high school buddy misled me recently saying "he and a group saw Zeppelin in August of 73 at MSG." I knew my show was July 73. BTW, that timeline is very slick, all sorts of ways of getting show info. My family used to vacation at the NJ shore, Asbury Park. We must have been there in August 1969, when I was 14 years old because I remember all these long haired freaks (for lack of a better word) hanging out on the boardwalk near Convention Hall. I also noticed the band playing that night on the marquee - Led Zeppelin. I was a young innocent kid at the time.

Yes, thanks Joelmon and JRich for letting me know about the timeline. A high school buddy misled me recently saying "he and a group saw Zeppelin in August of 73 at MSG." I knew my show was July 73. BTW, that timeline is very slick, all sorts of ways of getting show info. My family used to vacation at the NJ shore, Asbury Park. We must have been there in August 1969, when I was 14 years old because I remember all these long haired freaks (for lack of a better word) hanging out on the boardwalk near Convention Hall. I also noticed the band playing that night on the marquee - Led Zeppelin. I was a young innocent kid at the time.

We're about the same age Jethro......I was 13 turned 14 in June of 69. I was 17 at the concert in May of 73 and turned 18 and graduated high school in the first of June. I had some buddies that had made it to the 56K in Tampa.....but I couldn't go to it. I was glad it worked out to see them i Mobile, AL.....I was down front at a fairly small venue.....won't ever forget. It's 150 mi. to Mobile from here and 5 of us rode over on an old Ford van with a matress thrown in the back. What a trip that was!!

No way !!! Fuckin' alright !!!! This is great....tell more please !!

A requested and VERY emotive memory.

The Marquee Club, 90 Wardour Street, Soho, London.

Friday 18th October 1968.

I was 20 and at St. Martins School of Art in Charing Cross Road, three streets away from the rear entrance to the club. I used to work two or three evenings a week with my girlfriend - the love of my life who I havn't seen for 20 years .

As I came in through the rear fire exit it must have been about 5.30 and opening the door the swamp of sound that I had heard as I approached got me. Just finishing the sound check - bugger it I should have got there earlier!

Girlfriend, myself and several members of the club management went for a spaghetti, then we went back and set up for the evening.

I guess that the band had retired to The Ship pub for a pint. I can't remember the support band, which is not really surprising !

I had been a YaRdbiRdS fan since seeing them in the back room at a pub in Croydon with Eric on lead. Then Jeff later.

We were stunned, never having heard anything so intense or a vocalist like Robert before.

I don't remember the set (although I do remember talking about it all the way home on the tube <subway>) But I recall Dazed and Confused 'cos Jimmy threw in a bit of "Smokestack Lightnin'"

- an old YaRdbiRdS number- part way through.

I really feel that I had a reason to get an O2 ticket, but I guess I'll have just to put up with memories. There you go.

I did however see the first three Hendrix gigs B) B)

Mobile, Alabama May 13, 1973.....UP FRONT!!!!!....was looking up at Jimmy.......got an unused ticket to Louisianna Superdome July 30, 1977......this is where Plant came into New Orleans hotel and found out Karac had died.......and end of US touring. See link.

http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z237/jr...dome7-30-77.jpg

I'm glad you posted that, I couldn't remember what year that New Orleans show was.

I had a pair of tickets for that show as well but turned them in for a refund. I know it said no refund but they did refund for that show. From what I heard reported in the media, up until 3 days before show date they had sold 98,500 tix. Stones hold the Dome record at 89,586

I did however see them May 19, 1977 in Baton Rouge and caught the Page/Plant tour in 94 at UNO Lake front arena, that show Rocked as well.

Here's my story and I'm sticking to it :beer: From another post

:beer:

I was at this show as well, didn't think I was destined to see Zeppelin though. As a previous poster said, we had to stand in line outside the assembly center box office in the freezing sleet and rain to get tickets my feet were frozen and the crowds were crazy, bending steel barricades, jumping off the box office roof to get out after getting their tickets. Me and a bunch of friends spent the night in two vans in the parking lot the night before. Like to froze to death. The next day while in line near the the box office window, I remember turning around just in time to see one of my friends smack a parked car with his van right in front of the assembly center now called the P-Mac for Pistol Pete Maravitch. After a postponed show, the day we left for the show in March my car breaks down, my friend and I left the piece of crap and hitch hiked the rest of the way to Baton Rouge. Ended up catching a ride with two guys going to the show as well. Our lucky day NOT! these guys were blitzed. Well as soon as we caught sight of the assembly center, we said "we'll get out here" and walked the few blocks away. Kept my stub for the show many years, then one day I was on ebay and saw people, collectors I presume, buying Zeppelin stubs for big bux. Guess what my first ebay sale was? Hope The guys aren't mad at me. After all I went through to see them I worked for those tickets.

If you guys ( Jimmy, Robert, John and Jason ) read this, I hope you go on tour again and stop by New Orleans again, you guys are still the "HAMMER of the GODS! " down here.

I caught your show in 94 at lake front arena .We were blown away" Hurdy-gurdie "

Here's my story and I'm sticking to it :beer: From another post

:beer:

I was at this show as well, didn't think I was destined to see Zeppelin though. As a previous poster said, we had to stand in line outside the assembly center box office in the freezing sleet and rain to get tickets my feet were frozen and the crowds were crazy, bending steel barricades, jumping off the box office roof to get out after getting their tickets. Me and a bunch of friends spent the night in two vans in the parking lot the night before. Like to froze to death. The next day while in line near the the box office window, I remember turning around just in time to see one of my friends smack a parked car with his van right in front of the assembly center now called the P-Mac for Pistol Pete Maravitch. After a postponed show, the day we left for the show in March my car breaks down, my friend and I left the piece of crap and hitch hiked the rest of the way to Baton Rouge. Ended up catching a ride with two guys going to the show as well. Our lucky day NOT! these guys were blitzed. Well as soon as we caught sight of the assembly center, we said "we'll get out here" and walked the few blocks away. Kept my stub for the show many years, then one day I was on ebay and saw people, collectors I presume, buying Zeppelin stubs for big bux. Guess what my first ebay sale was? Hope The guys aren't mad at me. After all I went through to see them I worked for those tickets.

If you guys ( Jimmy, Robert, John and Jason ) read this, I hope you go on tour again and stop by New Orleans again, you guys are still the "HAMMER of the GODS! " down here.

I caught your show in 94 at lake front arena .We were blown away" Hurdy-gurdie "

What a neat story.....thanks for sharing. It's amazing in our younger years how many of these road trips turned into the saga from hell. I didn't get into it yet but in the Mobile show....we were about 3/4 thru the show when one of my buddies passed out. We were all standing so tight up front that he couldn't fall down.....made for a funny situation. We eventually carried him out to go find seats we spotted that were virtually at the corner of the stage still. So other than our transport time with him, we really didn't loose too much of the show.