how many of you actually saw zepp in concert and when{pre 1980 only}

ledbagelz

Both Knebworths for me too.....

yes, i remember very well. i went both weekends [4th and 11th] we managed to join this thing called civil aid purely to get hold of tickets and transport to the gig, they gave us two tickets each just in case we lost one and they were access all areas except the stars arena. i was the only one in our group of eight who was actually a zep fan. one of my mates got so stoned he woke up in a tree halfway through stairway to heaven and he recalls just seeing a sea of lit lighters right across the

field. the second week, i took my [girlfriend at the time but my wife now] with some other friends

and had the same thing, 2 tickets each and a ride. part of our duties was to man the admin tent till 7pm the rest of the time was ours. some guys from france came over to the tent looking for tickets

offering 100 quid for a pair which was a lot in those days considdering the face value was £7.50 each. my wife felt sorry for these guys cos they really looked desperate, so she gave these guys the pair of spare tickets for nothing [what a girl eh] so when we registered for tickets for the 02 concert, it was like a drop in the ocean. the deadline had passed and we heared nothing. but five days before the gig, my wife had an email congratulating her being chosen for returned tickets. what goes around comes around and i.m glad i am still married to her cos she had the luck, and i thought the gig in 02 was outstanding.

Wow.....what an awsome story. I've been watching Knebworth on the DVD but on a norm you don't see the extra footage of the crowds.....tents....etc...without going back into the menu.....have you watched this??......you may see yourself.....or surely some very familiar sites.

I could never remember the dates but I just found this site with tour dates

http://ledzeppelin.alexreisner.com/

It looks like I was at the

20/08/1971 Seattle, Washington

18/06/1972 Seattle Center Coliseum, Seattle, Washington

17/07/1973 Seattle Center Coliseum, Seattle, Washington

17/03/1975 Seattle Center Coliseum, Seattle, Washington

There last show here it looks like was at the KINGDOME which was a 55,000 seat domed stadium. It was round and 100% concrete. I did not see that show which I am happy to say because I'm sure it would have been horrific if anything like the two shows I did see there. Paul McCartney and the Rolling stones on seperate occasions of course. But both were not very good as I recall. The place was way to large the stage was at one end of the football field and was 200-400 feet away from most seats and the place echoed like a 100 % concrete domed stadium would. We called it the "echodome".

I know specific dates can be hard to recall but, do you remember much about 20/08/71. Curious about the set list that night

Tampa June 3rd, 1977. For about 1 and half songs before the rain storm hit. Started off with the Song Remains the Same and about half of Nobodys Fault but Mine. Left the stage and never came back... ever. But to me, it was all worth it. Got there when gates opened at about 1:00pm. They were playing the Eagles's Hotel California and Pink Floyd's Animals albums over they're sound system during the day as we and 80 thousand other fans waited for the 7:30 show to start.

I was at that show too! I even got my tickets at the Orange Bowl the morning they went on sale and we all camped out for the start of the sales and a riot broke out cus they brought out the riot squad and teargased us...then let us in single file one by one to get tix! :blink:

They were the MOST beautiful tix at that time with a hollogrammed zeppelin and because we got a refund for the cancellation...we had to send in our original tix for it! I only wish i didnt care about that 20 bucks a ticket...i'd still have them now. :(

So yes i was blessed with 15 mins of Led Zep live!

February 19, 1972 Memorial Drive, Adelaide, Australia.

I was 14 at the time...my first major rock show.

I went with my school buddy Les, & my older brother

& future sister-in law attended as well.

It was booked for the night before, but due to rain the show

was cancelled, & Zep played the next night being Saturday.

Les & I arrived late Saturday afternoon, with the whole band arriving

for a sound check. Robert had a bash on Bonzo's drums while

Bonzo sat behind the mixing desk. They then played Misty Mountain

Hop (Robert sitting on a chair) while the sound fella adjused all the levels.

I sat with Bonzo for a few minutes & I told him I was learning to play the drums.

I also mentioned to him that he was my favourite drummer.

Bonzo gave me a grin & offered genuine encouragement!!!

Precious memories that mean so much......

Baz

February 19, 1972 Memorial Drive, Adelaide, Australia.

I was 14 at the time...my first major rock show.

I went with my school buddy Les, & my older brother

& future sister-in law attended as well.

It was booked for the night before, but due to rain the show

was cancelled, & Zep played the next night being Saturday.

Les & I arrived late Saturday afternoon, with the whole band arriving

for a sound check. Robert had a bash on Bonzo's drums while

Bonzo sat behind the mixing desk. They then played Misty Mountain

Hop (Robert sitting on a chair) while the sound fella adjused all the levels.

I sat with Bonzo for a few minutes & I told him I was learning to play the drums.

I also mentioned to him that he was my favourite drummer.

Bonzo gave me a grin & offered genuine encouragement!!!

Precious memories that mean so much......

Baz

Woah!!!........Baz you just stepped into Lordship with that one.......what a fantastic memory to be sitting on.

Just now I joined the forum to chime-in with this ... I was at the '77 Pontiac Silverdome concert and standing only 3 or 4 feet away from the giant stage-left PA tower -- consequently Robert Plant seemed only about 20 feet from me when he wasn't jumping about. My memory is fairly clear from this concert, despite how lit-up my friends and I were.

I recall staring in amazement at a 4-foot-wide woofer at the PA's base and thinking 'that is really LOUD ... in fact, that's the LOUDEST thing I've EVER HEARD ... but it's GOOD LOUD! ...'

So I stood up front for most of the show -- they turned on the house lights for the encores, which only made the massive crowd more rowdy ...

To this day I carry permanent hearing damage in my left ear due to this show, but I really don't mind so much -- it only bothers me when a loud police/fire siren or a garbage truck goes by me when I'm driving.

Someone else on this site said the Silverdome show was mediocre -- but since this was the only Zeppelin concert for me, I can say it was definitely one of the top five concerts I've been to, out of a couple-hundred over the past few decades.

If Plant doesn't wish to tour, I can't blame him, but I must say I've become quite re-acquainted with the Zeppelin-drome in my brain ever since the reunion concert was announced!

Cheers,

Was able to see them in Macon Georgia on April 3, 1970. It was my first rock concert and it changed my outlook on music forever. They played for over three hours. Bonzo was incredible, played Moby Dick, and Page sitting on a chair by himself was amazing playing for over 15 minutes...

Great !!! More stories coming out of the woodwork !!

and hey dabercro.....not too many have posted here about 1970 shows

Would you care to embellish a bit more ? Clear memories, faded.....any anecdotes are welcome !! :)

I was blown away. The raw power that was being thrown at us was incredible. The sound of Bonham's drums espescially. It must have taken me a good 20 min to collect myself They played with a passion that I'd never seen from any band before. The performance was great and most have heard the recording. Too bad it only contains part of the show. They really were a cut above anybody else at the time and set the standard for those to come

I was blown away just like you....maybe in two ways :rolleyes: ......they "rocked" Mobile, AL like it was Madison Square Garden.....or any other larger venue. They were truely passionate about putting on a good show. It was no wonder that no other bands wanted to play anywhere around those guys. What other band has carried an awsome reputation like that?? So damn good that you needed to be the only show!!!....and a band that specifically stayed away from writing and playing for top 40 radio. NOBODY has laid a path like them.

JR

I was blown away just like you....maybe in two ways :rolleyes: ......they "rocked" Mobile, AL like it was Madison Square Garden.....or any other larger venue. They were truely passionate about putting on a good show. It was no wonder that no other bands wanted to play anywhere around those guys. What other band has carried an awsome reputation like that?? So damn good that you needed to be the only show!!!....and a band that specifically stayed away from writing and playing for top 40 radio. NOBODY has laid a path like them.

JR

Yeah, They did treat us all like it was MSG. That's a good way of putting it. A lot bands at the time seemed to save they're best performances for the big market areas. Zeppelin came to play every night

My first live sighting of Zeppelin was 35 years ago on January 15th 1973 at Trentham Gardens Stoke.

I took the day off school, it was damn cold day i can tell you but I was heated by a Zeppelin in full flight.

I was given a cup of tea and sandwich by the road crew whilst they set up the equipment. Didn't get to meet the band though. Had to go out of the hall later as other fans arrived and I was first in line and then a sprint to the front cntre of the stage. Had to be up close and personal. B)

35 years ago and yet it's still fresh to me.

I might just have to put on the boot of the show and relive it. :rolleyes:

My first live sighting of Zeppelin was 35 years ago this very day January 15th 1973 at Trentham Gardens Stoke.

I took the day off school, it was damn cold day i can tell you but I was heated by a Zeppelin in full flight.

I was given a cup of tea and sandwich by the road crew whilst they set up the equipment. Didn't get to meet the band though. Had to go out of the hall later as other fans arrived and I was first in line and then a sprint to the front cntre of the stage. Had to be up close and personal. B)

35 years sgo today and yet it's still fresh to me.

I might just have to put on the boot of the show and relive it. :rolleyes:

Not surprised that it's still fresh in your mind. Enjoy the boot B)

I saw the "MIGHTY ZEP" on June 22 and 26, 1977, at the Forum in Los Angeles, CA. Just finished my Jr year of High School. We found out about the tour and found jobs to buy tickets for the show. I flipped burgers 8-10 hours a shift. I didn't drink much then, but indulged in a little Mother Nature!!! Tickets were cheap, compared to todays standards. Didn't plan on going to the second show, but was seduced into going with my childhood crush. She heard we went to an earlier show........well the rest is history! Use your imagination. They kicked my ass!!! Didn't have the best seats, but I WAS THERE!!!!! Other than the music, can't really remember anything else. Wonder what Rachel is up to these days? Hope to see them again.............."HAMMER OF THE GODS"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My first post, and a great thread. My first concert, on July 7th., 1973 changed my life forever. I managed to get my hands on a ticket for the second night in Chicago at the old Madhouse on Madison, the Chicago Stadium. I had just turned 16 and nothing could have prepared me for what I was to witness that summer night in July. :blink:

We were big hockey fans in those days, and I'd been to the Stadium dozens of times for Blackhawk games, but I never saw it look like it did that night! The hippies and freaks came out of the woodwork, and it was just the coolest scene you could imagine.... Long haired rockers and flower children, bikers, you name it, as far as the eye could see, and to a fairly sheltered 16 year old, it looked like the second coming of Woodstock! Someone had managed to drop the fire escapes on the outside of the building, and they were packed with people climbing onto them and getting into the building through the balcony fire escape doors. More than likely they were without tickets and couldn't resist the chance to get in.

Once inside and the show began, I was floored by the class, power, and majesty of this band, as well as the lights, the sounds, and the smells! Since it was just a few days removed from the 4th of July, the building was filled with the flash and blasts of fireworks going off during the show. Several times the blast were so loud, it felt like the building shook. At one point Robert stopped and asked the crowd to "Please, cool it with the 'works!" Of course it would slow down, and then the firecrackers, bottle rockets, and even M-80's would start up again.... The air was filled with crushing, hypnotizing blues rock, a mystical aura mixed with a haze of pot smoke and gunpowder, and the whole scene was absolutely surreal.

Our seats were first row in the first balcony, almost straight across from the stage, and I had a panoramic view of the show and all of the craziness surrounding it. The aisles and stairs were filled with the people who had gotten in without seats, and just about every light under the balcony was either broken or removed to darken the building and better facilitate the mood.

To be honest, it wouldn't have mattered if Jimmy was on, or if Robert had hit every note, THEY BLEW THE PLACE AWAY. It remains, to this day, the greatest single spectacle I have ever seen, anywhere. I would never be the same after that show.

I went on to see every show they did in Chicago from that day on. Three shows in January of 1975, and four more in April of '77, including Jimmy's abbreviated Saturday night sick show, and culminating with 2nd row seats for the Easter Sunday "Stormtrooper show". I only wish I'd seen the first tours, including stops at (As Robert called it one night) "the old dancing Kinetic Playground."

I'm 50 now, and I sometimes feel like a wise old wizard talking to a group of hobbits when young kids ask what Zep was like back in the day. I recount the stories, and they sit with their eyes wide and their mouths open, and it only reminds me of how fortunate I really was...

My life is richer for having been there.... :D

My first post, and a great thread. My first concert, on July 7th., 1973 changed my life forever. I managed to get my hands on a ticket for the second night in Chicago at the old Madhouse on Madison, the Chicago Stadium. I had just turned 16 and nothing could have prepared me for what I was to witness that summer night in July. :blink:

We were big hockey fans in those days, and I'd been to the Stadium dozens of times for Blackhawk games, but I never saw it look like it did that night! The hippies and freaks came out of the woodwork, and it was just the coolest scene you could imagine.... Long haired rockers and flower children, bikers, you name it, as far as the eye could see, and to a fairly sheltered 16 year old, it looked like the second coming of Woodstock! Someone had managed to drop the fire escapes on the outside of the building, and they were packed with people climbing onto them and getting into the building through the balcony fire escape doors. More than likely they were without tickets and couldn't resist the chance to get in.

Once inside and the show began, I was floored by the class, power, and majesty of this band, as well as the lights, the sounds, and the smells! Since it was just a few days removed from the 4th of July, the building was filled with the flash and blasts of fireworks going off during the show. Several times the blast were so loud, it felt like the building shook. At one point Robert stopped and asked the crowd to "Please, cool it with the 'works!" Of course it would slow down, and then the firecrackers, bottle rockets, and even M-80's would start up again.... The air was filled with crushing, hypnotizing blues rock, a mystical aura mixed with a haze of pot smoke and gunpowder, and the whole scene was absolutely surreal.

Our seats were first row in the first balcony, almost straight across from the stage, and I had a panoramic view of the show and all of the craziness surrounding it. The aisles and stairs were filled with the people who had gotten in without seats, and just about every light under the balcony was either broken or removed to darken the building and better facilitate the mood.

To be honest, it wouldn't have mattered if Jimmy was on, or if Robert had hit every note, THEY BLEW THE PLACE AWAY. It remains, to this day, the greatest single spectacle I have ever seen, anywhere. I would never be the same after that show.

I went on to see every show they did in Chicago from that day on. Three shows in January of 1975, and four more in April of '77, including Jimmy's abbreviated Saturday night sick show, and culminating with 2nd row seats for the Easter Sunday "Stormtrooper show". I only wish I'd seen the first tours, including stops at (As Robert called it one night) "the old dancing Kinetic Playground."

I'm 50 now, and I sometimes feel like a wise old wizard talking to a group of hobbits when young kids ask what Zep was like back in the day. I recount the stories, and they sit with their eyes wide and their mouths open, and it only reminds me of how fortunate I really was...

You truly have been blessed...i can only imagine that first show you saw, "the greatest single spectacle i have ever seen..." un-stinking real!!!!!!!!!!!!! reading your story made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up!! yeah!!! Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stonefreelee........you ARE THE MAN!!!......that 73 tour was indescribable. I'm in FL and had friends that made it to the 56K in Tampa....but I couldn't.....I made it to a small venue May 13...Mobile, AL...all I can say is HOLY SHIT!!!.....it was awsome!!!! I'm 52 now.....turned 18 between my show and yours. They filmed TSRTS in NY, MSG.....3 weeks or so after your show......some really neat times!!! I just got to go to the 02 Arena.....on this forum is about the only place I can find people on my "wavelength".

GREAT !!! First poster I've seen who was at this show. I knew of one other person, he's not a member here as far as I know, who was at this show....HE taped it and I got the tapes out....and by November of 2003 the WHOLE WORLD had the show !!!!

In the Windy City II is the common name of the bootleg.

It took 30 years to see the light of day.....Thanks for showing up and giving your insight to the show !!!!!!!!! :D

Saw them on the 75 tour on long island and the 77 tour at madison square garden 2x. I got to know the lawyer for them and he gave me 2 of his personel seats at madison square garden for the last night of the tour.They were playing at the garden for 5 nights and i already saw them on the first night. He told to go pick up the tickets at swan song records at 454 madison ave. when one of the people who worked there handed me the 2 tickets his response was "people would kill for these tickets" i looked at them and we were 6th row in front of page and plant. i have been going to concerts since 1973 and that is still the best show i ever went to. It was just amazing and i will never experience anything like that again.the only bad thing was that someone threw a firecracker towards the stage and hit page in the hand and the band was pissed off.pages hand was hurt and they came out and did a quick encore and left. i found out latter that mick jagger and keith richards were going to come out and jam with them if that person didn't throw that firecracker.

Archived