how many of you actually saw zepp in concert and when{pre 1980 only}

ledbagelz

Here's my story and I'm sticking to it :beer: From another post

:beer:

I was at this show as well, didn't think I was destined to see Zeppelin though. As a previous poster said, we had to stand in line outside the assembly center box office in the freezing sleet and rain to get tickets my feet were frozen and the crowds were crazy, bending steel barricades, jumping off the box office roof to get out after getting their tickets. Me and a bunch of friends spent the night in two vans in the parking lot the night before. Like to froze to death. The next day while in line near the the box office window, I remember turning around just in time to see one of my friends smack a parked car with his van right in front of the assembly center now called the P-Mac for Pistol Pete Maravitch. After a postponed show, the day we left for the show in March my car breaks down, my friend and I left the piece of crap and hitch hiked the rest of the way to Baton Rouge. Ended up catching a ride with two guys going to the show as well. Our lucky day NOT! these guys were blitzed. Well as soon as we caught sight of the assembly center, we said "we'll get out here" and walked the few blocks away. Kept my stub for the show many years, then one day I was on ebay and saw people, collectors I presume, buying Zeppelin stubs for big bux. Guess what my first ebay sale was? Hope The guys aren't mad at me. After all I went through to see them I worked for those tickets.

If you guys ( Jimmy, Robert, John and Jason ) read this, I hope you go on tour again and stop by New Orleans again, you guys are still the "HAMMER of the GODS! " down here.

I caught your show in 94 at lake front arena .We were blown away" Hurdy-gurdie "

I was there with you .I would be in trouble if i had to make that jump today but the other option was fighting the crowd and there was no way.have you ever heard any audio from this show.I managed to get a short video years ago .

Well lets see

69 NY

73 New Orleans,New york x 3

75 Baton Rouge ,New York x 2

77 Baton Rouge,New York , Houston,Detroit,Chicago,Seattle,Oakland

79 Knebworth 4 August only my ship got underway on the 8th

80 manhiem

85 live aid Philly

2008-2009 Everywhere i can

Well lets see

69 NY

73 New Orleans,New york x 3

75 Baton Rouge ,New York x 2

77 Baton Rouge,New York , Houston,Detroit,Chicago,Seattle,Oakland

80 manhiem

85 live aid Philly

4_17_209.gif

Found the info. It's from Robert Godwin's Press Reports book (well, it originally appeared in a September 1970 edition of Disc magazine but was reproduced in the Press Reports):

New Look - New York Zeppelin

Led Zeppelin were in New York this week, having to cancel some concert dates due to the death of John Paul Jones' father. Robert Plant and Jimmy Page both came into Max's Kansas City one night quite late... both sporting new beards and Jimmy Page with short hair!

Robert Godwin, Press Reports, pg 141

I know they occasionally visited a club called Nobody's when in New York, as well as Club 82, which had a policy that all gender must be subverted (men had to dress as women and vice-versa). I've often wondered whether this was the reason they dragged up for the photos that eventually found their way onto the cover of Physical Graffiti. I believe those pictures were taken in New York. Over to Steve's Mystery thread I think! :D

I'm glad this thread was bumped today. I missed your response. Thanks. :)

I'm glad this thread was bumped today. I missed your response. Thanks. :)

There's just one problem: while they did cancel their concerts scheduled between Aug 5th - 13th it was done so to allow JPJ to remain in England with his dying father, so

JPJ may not have been in New York with them at the time. JPJ may have joined them just prior to their August 14th concert scheduled for the Yale Bowl Stadium (Boston College Eagle Rock Festival) in Chestnut Hill near Boston but that event was cancelled two days prior by Mayor White who revoked the license on account of resident compliants.

Ultimately, JPJ's father did not pass away until Aug 26th, resulting in the cancellation of their Aug 27th Milwaukee Arena concert to allow for them to attend the funeral. The tour resumed Aug 29th in Winnepeg.

There's just one problem: while they did cancel their concerts scheduled between Aug 5th - 13th it was done so to allow JPJ to remain in England with his dying father, so

JPJ may not have been in New York with them at the time. JPJ may have joined them just prior to their August 14th concert scheduled for the Yale Bowl Stadium (Boston College Eagle Rock Festival) in Chestnut Hill near Boston but that event was cancelled two days prior by Mayor White who revoked the license on account of resident compliants.

Ultimately, JPJ's father did not pass away until Aug 26th, resulting in the cancellation of their Aug 27th Milwaukee Arena concert to allow for them to attend the funeral. The tour resumed Aug 29th in Winnepeg.

What year was that? I though Zep were only canceled in Boston in '75 and that is when they changed venues to the Nassau Coliseum on Long Island, NY. Were they canceled in Boston another year?

Well lets see

69 NY

73 New Orleans, New York x 3

75 Baton Rouge, New York x 2

77 Baton Rouge, New York, Houston, Detroit, Chicago, Seattle, Oakland

80 Manhiem

85 Live Aid Philly

Nice selection ! !

I was at the Houston '77 show. You saw no Video screens or camers in use ? ? I did not ..

I flew in from Dallas to Hobby Airport that afternoon, without a ticket. I was wearing a jersey that said "An Evening With Led Zeppelin" on it. A couple of guys saw me in the airport and asked me if I needed tickets. I said I did...I paid the scapled price, and I don't remmeber what that was $25-40. But get this...they offered to give me a ride to the Summit. I took them up on the offer.

I entered the auditorium as soon as they started letting everyone in. My seat was up in the balcony somewhere.... but I had no intention of staying up there. I had come all the way from Dallas, and this was going to be an adventure! The thing I remember most about the arena before the show started, was the large black equipment boxes on the side of the stage. You could clearly see "LED ZEPPELIN" stenciled in white on the equipment boxes. And I thought to myself.... "If only those Boxes could Talk . . ."

The lights dimmed after 8pm. I made my way down to the edge of the lower balcony. I jumped down from the floor from there as the band ripped into the opening number for the '77 Tour, TSRTS. It was not that big a jump. You talk about the "Trees" in STH.... almost EVERYONE was standing on the floor... ON THEIR CHAIRS...., to Welcome in Zeppelin to Rocket Town. That made it very easy for me to move through the aisles to avoid being nabbed by an security that might have seen my jump. I did wait for several others to jump first---- to give the security someone to chase after. Here's where I ended up....CENTER Section -- 3 ROWS BACK from the Stage, 2 seats IN, as the band was ripping through TSRTS. I remember seeing a group of girls in the second row, holding up a picture from a magazine for the band to see. I couldn't see the picture, but it looked like a "foldout" of some kind :huh: , but I can't say for sure. I remember Robert excusing themsleves later, for a "Late" start... but he as he said ... "There was Food Backstage"... :D

After getting some hits from a pipe that a fellow conertgoer shared with me.... I'd say that "Ten Years Gone".... was the absolute Highlight of that concert for me... B)

Zeppelin were "ON" That Night in Houston !

Nice selection ! !

I was at the Houston '77 show.

Zeppelin were "ON" That Night in Houston !

And we're blessed with an excellent, super clear soundboard recording of the show too ! :D

Lucky you !!!

I bet you flew to Houston Hobby aboard the HOT PANT/go go boot deluxe Southwest airlines ? ;)

HOTCHA !!!

1970s.jpg

What year was that? I though Zep were only canceled in Boston in '75 and that is when they changed venues to the Nassau Coliseum on Long Island, NY. Were they canceled in Boston another year?

This would have been 1970 -- the cancellation of several dates to allow JPJ to remain in

England with his dying father and Mayor White cancelling their Boston College - Stadium (Boston College Eagle Rock Festival) concert two days before it was set to begin. I presume all of their gear had already been shipped over while they stayed in New York.

This would have been 1970 -- the cancellation of several dates to allow JPJ to remain in

England with his dying father and Mayor White cancelling their Yale Bowl concert two

days before it was set to begin. I presume all of their gear had already been shipped

over while they stayed in New York.

I was thinking of the '75 tours (because of the mention of PG) when I mentioned Boston. Mayor White canceled that Boston gig when overzealous fans, who were queuing up for tickets were permitted enter Boston Garden and went on a mini-rampage. Based on that, the mayor feared what might happen when Zep actually played there so he canceled the concert - to the benefit of the NYC-area fans who got an extra night of Zep. I remember meeting many Boston-area fans there who had come down to the NYC-area to see Zep.

In '70, the band did play at the Yale Bowl (which is in New Haven, CT). I believe that it was the first date that they played in the U.S. when they returned here (after the Boston gig and other shows were canceled). They did play in Boston later in '70 (the night before the '70 MSG concert).

Back to PG, I thought that some of the "drag" photos on PG were taken when the band was on tour here (U.S.) in '73. There were some antics involving "dressing up". :)

I was thinking of the '75 tours (because of the mention of PG) when I mentioned Boston. Mayor White canceled that Boston gig when overzealous fans, who were queuing up for tickets were permitted enter Boston Garden and went on a mini-rampage. Based on that, the mayor feared what might happen when Zep actually played there so he canceled the concert - to the benefit of the NYC-area fans who got an extra night of Zep. I remember meeting many Boston-area fans there who had come down to the NYC-area to see Zep.

In '70, the band did play at the Yale Bowl (which is in New Haven, CT). I believe that it was the first date that they played in the U.S. when they returned here (after the Boston gig and other shows were canceled). They did play in Boston later in '70 (the night before the '70 MSG concert).

Back to PG, I thought that some of the "drag" photos on PG were taken when the band was on tour here (U.S.) in '73. There were some antics involving "dressing up". :)

I meant to say Mayor White cancelled their August 14th 1970 concert set for Boston College - Stadium (Boston College Eagle Rock Festival). Apologies! They did indeed perform at the Yale Bowl the next night, their first gig of the Summer '70 USA tour

following all the other cancellations.

Edit: Here are all the cancellations while they stayed in New York:

August 5 1970 Cincinnati, OH

August 6 1970 Detroit, MI

August 7 1970 Cleveland, OH

August 8 1970 Pittsburgh, PA

August 9 1970 Boston, MA

August 11 1970 Charlotte, NC

August 12 1970 Jacksonville, FL

August 13 1970 Tallahassee, FL

August 14 1970 Chestnut Hill, Boston, MA

Any chance you saw or heard about Jimmy & Robert joining Foreigner onstage in Munich sometime in March/April 1982? I believe it was at the Sporthalle. They'd flown in to relax

and decided to do the jam.

On May, 1982: Jimmy Page and Robert Plant join Foreigner on stage in Munich to play Lucille.

But I don't see that gig - sadly.

The next time I saw Jimmy was in Ludwigshafen at Dec. 4th 1984 with the Firm.

It was a brillant and emotional Concert. Jimmy play very fantastic. I love the Firm.

On May, 1982: Jimmy Page and Robert Plant join Foreigner on stage in Munich to play Lucille.

But I don't see that gig - sadly.

The next time I saw Jimmy was in Ludwigshafen at Dec. 4th 1984 with the Firm.

It was a brillant and emotional Concert. Jimmy play very fantastic. I love the Firm.

Oh, yes at Theatre im Pfalzbau. I believe I've posted some photos from that concert in the Photo Forum. He gave his first post-Zeppelin print media interview to Chris Welch of 'Kerrang!' magazine that afternoon in the hotel bar of Frankfurt's Hotel Intercontinental.

His confidence was returning!

Oh, yes at Theatre im Pfalzbau. I believe I've posted some photos from that concert in the Photo Forum. He gave his first post-Zeppelin print media interview to Chris Welch of 'Kerrang!' magazine that afternoon in the hotel bar of Frankfurt's Hotel Intercontinental.

His confidence was returning!

Steve, was that Jimmy or Robert who gave the interview? I guess it was Jimmy?

And, BTY.... his conficence is returning ! ! :D

Olympia Stadium, Detroit - Aug. 1970

Date based on the ticket stub? Like I mentioned in this thread earlier, the August 6th 1970 Detroit concert was postponed to allow for JPJ to remain in England. It was

rescheduled and performed on September 11th 1970. Any memories of it to share?

Date based on the ticket stub? Like I mentioned in this thread earlier, the August 6th 1970 Detroit concert was postponed to allow for JPJ to remain in England. It was

rescheduled and performed on September 11th 1970. Any memories of it to share?

That was a long time ago, dude. Maybe it was Sept.

Thought it was late Aug. for sure.

What i remember was hearing Led Zep III songs and being completely blown away.

And Bonzo played his green sparkle kit. I was expecting the natural finish one, but the green looked great in the lights. Oh yeah, and during Moby Dick, some dick jumped up on the stage and tried doing an Iggy impersonation. He was quickly thrown back in the crowd!

That was a long time ago, dude. Maybe it was Sept.

Thought it was late Aug. for sure.

What i remember was hearing Led Zep III songs and being completely blown away.

And Bonzo played his green sparkle kit. I was expecting the natural finish one, but the green looked great in the lights. Oh yeah, and during Moby Dick, some dick jumped up on the stage and tried doing an Iggy impersonation. He was quickly thrown back in the crowd!

http://ledzeppelin.com/show/august-28-1970

Scroll to the bottom of this page there is a link for timeline

I meant to say Mayor White cancelled their August 14th 1970 concert set for Boston College - Stadium (Boston College Eagle Rock Festival). Apologies! They did indeed perform at the Yale Bowl the next night, their first gig of the Summer '70 USA tour

following all the other cancellations.

Edit: Here are all the cancellations while they stayed in New York:

August 5 1970 Cincinnati, OH

August 6 1970 Detroit, MI

August 7 1970 Cleveland, OH

August 8 1970 Pittsburgh, PA

August 9 1970 Boston, MA

August 11 1970 Charlotte, NC

August 12 1970 Jacksonville, FL

August 13 1970 Tallahassee, FL

August 14 1970 Chestnut Hill, Boston, MA

No need for apologies. We've all done it. In most cases, I am relying on 30+ year memories.

Archived