how many of you actually saw zepp in concert and when{pre 1980 only}

ledbagelz

just wondering ....how many of you zeppites actually saw them..........

this is actually a story tinged with sadness (all say aahh), first heard them aged 11 in 1973, got a ticket for Earls Court with a couple of friends and one of their older brothers, had to give ticket away as my mum wouldn't let me travel to London with a bloke in his early twenties she didn't know, and so it came to pass that i found myself standing in a field in 1979 on 4/8 watching what still remains some 500+ concerts later the pinnacle of my rock concert watching career, havn't got a ticket for 10/12 have you to see if they can top it?

Only once at the St. Paul Civic Center on April 13, 1977. The place has been torn down for quite a long time now, those lilly's down at city planning tore down what was a great place for rock & roll shows. They put up a hockey rink after the MN North Stars moved to Dallas and I guess that we have a new team called the Wild but I could give a shi_ because the only thing that I will ever remember as wild on those grounds were rock concerts. Back in those days that we could smoke (anything) out in the lobby without the police even looking our way, by the time we were inside we were completely blitzed and the good times continued through the show. The bands that played there probably didn't have to bring in any of their own because smoke rises!

Hey fenderguy, we saw the same show, it rocked hard!

Yes, it rocked. But there was a pretty long acoustic set in the middle. There were people lighting up all around us. We didn't light up but we smuggled Bacardi 151 in a couple of the girl's empty perfume bottles and poured a bunch of it in our beer. I was 18 then, and at that time it was legal for me to drink at 18. It was the first time L.Z. played back to back shows in the Twin Cities. The night before they played at the Met Sports center in suburban Minneapolis in a different hockey arena. I remember reading somewhere that the band was "visably shaken" after flying through a thunderstorm to get to Minneapolis. The met center was very close to the airport. I think they started playing a few minutes after arriving. The concensus was that the St. Paul show the next night was the better of the two shows. The Met Center has since been leveled. They built the Mall of America on that land.

just wondering ....how many of you zeppites actually saw them..........

Hello Mate, not only are you a Zeppelin fan, but a Liverpool Fan, a man with taste. 11/8/79, i was 13yrs old, Knebworth. Still got the original Sweat-shirt, in the original Carrier-bag.

Led Zep was the first concert I ever saw. It was in Edmonton, Canada, in July 1969. They went on first before Vanilla Fudge. Remember Page playing Black Mountain Side (or parts of it) and the band closing with "How Many More Times." They also swapped bass players between bands IIRC for at least part of the show.

Tampa June 3rd, 1977. For about 1 and half songs before the rain storm hit. Started off with the Song Remains the Same and about half of Nobodys Fault but Mine. Left the stage and never came back... ever. But to me, it was all worth it. Got there when gates opened at about 1:00pm. They were playing the Eagles's Hotel California and Pink Floyd's Animals albums over they're sound system during the day as we and 80 thousand other fans waited for the 7:30 show to start.

MSG 1977. I was 13 and it was my first show ever! We had nosebleed seats but I couldn't believe I was IN THE SAME BUILDING as LZ!!! Honestly, changed my life forever.

Remember buying a crappy t-shirt on the street...it was printed really badly but I just thought I was sooo cool and I wore it all the time. No wonder I never had a boyfriend until I went to college!

JillPHX

I was lucky enough to see Led Zeppelin's 4-show run at the Chicago Stadium in April 1977. The famous Page onstage collapse and Stormtrooper special appearance. I've written overviews of those shows that were posted on the old forum. I've put up the April 6th show in the Timeline 1977 section and will be following up with the others.

Knebworth 1979

A day of fab weather and bands, ending with three hours of Zep. Problem was they were late on stage and when we finally left for the long walk through Knebworth Park back to our coach at about 1am, it had gone without us! Fine if you live nearby,I didn't!

Slept on a roundabout that night and on the Sunday walked up the motorway trying to thumb a lift (not before ringing my girlfriend and trying to get her to talk her dad into picking me up. Well its only a 4 hour drive on a Sunday,whats wrong with that?) I was 19,had spent all my money,was burnt (Red hot weather and no shade, a bit like Disney World really) and starting a new job on the Monday, so panicking a little. I just realised where my son gets it from!

o2 concert will be interesting hope it is on vid as needed a miracle to get a ticket, although I doubt the transport would have been a problem this time.

Wow I have always read these and been envious in a good way, just not ever seeing them as led Zep !! Got into them in 1981 ....doh....so can I put in this thread that I did after the 10th of this month or doesn't that count as its going to mega for me although its not in their heyday !!

DOH I just saw it say pre 1980 so it doesn't count !!!!!!!

Archived