how many of you actually saw zepp in concert and when{pre 1980 only}

ledbagelz

Both Knebworths for me too.....

Ally Pally just before Christmas (1973 I think).

Three nights in a row at Earls Court one weekend, and two in a row the following weekend. Both Knebworths.

I shall certainly cry my eyes out next Monday...and then enjoy.

During a second encore at one of the Earls Court gigs they attempted D'yer Maker....anybody else remember? ...and the cartoon film before they came on at the Ally Pally?...the Ten Minute standing ovation for JB after Moby Dick first night at Earls Court.

The day my brother left me the note I came home to the day JB died, was just about one of the saddest I ever had....I sat in a darkening kitchen for hours stunned and weeping.

but.....my spine still tingles whenever I hear....errrm...just about anything they ever did, sometimes the guitar on the How the West version of 'since I've been', sometimes simply the opening, evocative, chords of Gallows Pole, sometimes the Organ starting 'your time'...just about anything. I love 'em....like all of the rest of you beautiful people do.

just wondering ....how many of you zeppites actually saw them..........

Friday, January 31, 1975 at Olmpia Stadium (now torn down), Detroit, MI. And yes, I still have the ticket stub. I can still remember the "electricity" in the arena during the entire concert. I will never forget it!

The only downside to having seen them at their peak on the early 70's means that we aren't exactly spring chickens ourselves now.

I even go back as far as seeing the Beatles play live in 1963, admittedly I wasn't all that old at the time thank goodness.

Saw them in Mobile, AL....May 13, 1973.......still have full ticket to Superdome 77 cancelled show when Plant's son Karac died.

The only downside to having seen them at their peak on the early 70's means that we aren't exactly spring chickens ourselves now.

I even go back as far as seeing the Beatles play live in 1963, admittedly I wasn't all that old at the time thank goodness.

I watched both Ed Sullivan shows for the Beatles.....NY.....then 2 weeks later in Miami.

There's a lot of lucky people on this site. I'm 31 so I have no such stories but I can tell you my parents saw them at the Manchester Free Trade Hall in 1969. It was very loud, ha! My dad says it was an incredible show, he still has the program. Incidentally, my dad was also at the legendary Dylan Judas concert in 66 at the same venue.

For me, I saw Plant in 1990 when I was 13 and have never looked back since. I've also seen him at the Freddie Mercury tribuete (he was the best of the night along with, really, George Michael) and I saw him again at a tiny Manchester club about 5 years ago, it was the gigs which were all covers. The parents saw him again live about 3 or 4 years ago at the Apollo.

1977 Day on the Green at the Oakland Stadium on Day 2 (played 2 straight nights). The band was 3 hours late and Bonzo could be seen by himself sitting on his kit with arms folded about 1/2 hour before the concert started (probably to keep the peace as the audience didn't like the long delay one bit). They finally performed (Robert sitting on a chair wearing a sky blue t-shirt saying "Nurses Do It Better!"). Something was wrong but at the time I did not know what it was. Later I learned that after the first concert a fight broke out involving little Jason Bonham where the father stepped in and kicked the perpetrator right in the nuts, followed by Peter Grant doing a number on one of Billy Graham's guys....anyhow there's a lot more to it and some of the Zep guys involved spent some jail time before flying to the the next gig. Of course they were arrested AFTER the second performance (which was the one I saw). A lawsuit followed their path for many years to come. To top that off on the next gig Robert gets a call from his wife about some bad news involving his son, Karac. I think you guys know the rest of the sad story. That was one of the last concerts that Zeppelin performed here in the USA. A bittersweet time for the band (mostly bitter especially for Robert).

I am new to this forum but not to Zep. I almost cried reading this because it brought back such vivid memories for me. I ALMOST got to see Zep live in concert in '77 when I was 15 because they had scheduled a concert in New Orleans and my Zep head friend and I had bought tickets and were hopping a bus (yes, a bus, had no driver's license and my mom certainly wasn't gonna take me) from Gulfport, MS to NO to see the mighty Zep. Alas, it was not to be, as after this show, the concert and tour was cancelled. I couldn't believe Robert's son had DIED, so I was doubly sad. No Zep for me, ever. And for such a sad reason. Gosh, that was a rough summer!

Great to hear of all of the shows that year that did take place though. Was listening to the Houston '77 bootleg yesterday, and OMG, what greatness. Live near Houston now, wish I had in '77, I would have been there for sho!

April 30, 1977 Pontiac Silverdome.

This was the first concert ticket price over $10, I remember some of my friends were very pissed at this.

I was down on the floor, about 50 feet from the stage, Jimmy playing right in front of me, remember it like yesterday.

My girlfriend's brother met the band in a hotel in Detroit (at least that's what he said).

Saw Page & Plant a few times post-Zep years, the 1998 (or so) show was the best.

Kept the ticket from the 1977 show for years, lost it in a divorce to my evil ex-wife (b*tch!).

pontiac77tkt1.jpg

Archived