Close Encounters, what would you say if met them?

Sassyboo

What's he announced? :o

The bit he recently said about "preparing in December to get back to work and making some music". I'm paraphrasing of course.

Here's the link (I see you posted in the thread so yeah, that's what I was referring to):

My link

Annie got my message into the book too. That's about as close as ever expect to get, but at least I got to express my feelings! :beer:

I often wonder if he's actually read it through.

Yes. So do I. I hope he has read it, and I hope he saw my drwaings. I am honared that I got to be in both. I will never loose hope though, until he's gone, and I hope that's not for a very long time. But as Jimmy would say, that's not something one needs to go into. ;)

Sorry! I didn't notice you gave Aquamarine the link for that already.

I was lucky enough to meet JPJ and Jason Bonham backstage at the reunion show in 2007. My avatar is the picture I took with Jonsey commerating the moment. Among other things, I told Jonsey he is "a consummate gentleman". He repeated it and giggled.

This is a similar thread in the past.There were a lot of interesting stories.

''Unexpected Encounters with Band Members Thread''

(Sorry,I made a mistake in the number)

I love dave2007's encounter story with Jimmy in 1982.(#132)

It's amazing and incredible! He was asked to enter Old Mill House by Jimmy.

Standing outside Borders bookshop on Charing Cross Road last Monday chatting to my wife on the phone, Jimmy walks straight past me and into the shop. Asked him if I could take a photo, and he chatted to me and another guy for a good few minutes. He was very gracious, polite and interested. Neither me or the other guy could quite believe what had just happened...

I'll try to make this as short as possible...

The date was Wednesday July 17, 1985. My band, Stone Wolf, was doing a week long gig at Rock and Roll Heaven in Toronto Ontario. A good friend of mine, Jimmy Caulfield, and his band, a Zeppelin tribute band named Dazed and Confused, were playing at the Gas Works at the time. My band was headlining at Heaven so we had some time between 9 and 10:30 while the opening band was on. I took the time to head down the street to the Gas Works to see my friend Jimmy. Now Jimmy was a carbon copy of Robert Plant. He was constantly being mistaken for Plant where ever he went. People would actually ask him for autographs and the whole bit.

I sat through Jimmy's first set and asked the bartender to make sure Jimmy knew I was there so we could talk on his break. Jimmy and I were both rather depressed that night and needed a good friend to vent to. See... we were both working the night we had planned on going to see Robert Plant at the C.N.E. We had tickets and everything and both got booked after the fact and had to sell our tickets. So we figured, a few drinks and some good conversation with a good friend might be a little consoling.

About fifteen minutes after Jimmy finishes his first set he strolls up and takes a seat on the stool beside me. I turn to him and say "Awesome set man!" He turns to me and says "Beg pardon?" I repeat myself, "Awesome set. I love the new light system you have and Barrie (their guitarist) has really mastered Page's bowing technique." Jimmy gives me a very quizial looks and says "Sorry friend, I think you have me confused with someone else." My turn to look quizical... Then I realize, Jimmy, being the practical joker he is, is trying to lighten the mood with a little joke. I laugh and say "Oh yeah, you must be right. You couldn't be Jimmy Caulfield. Your fake accent sucks way too much, Jimmy's is down pat." Jimmy then laughs and says "Oh my, you mean the singer from tonight's band..?? No, sorry friend I'm not him. But you are right, my fake accent does suck way too much." We both laugh and clink our drinks in a cheer.

As we're laughing I can't believe what I see walking towards us from behind Jimmy. It's Robert Plant.... I shove Jimmy on the shoulder and excitedly say "Holy crap Jimmy, Robert Plant!!!" and point hysertically behind him. Jimmy laughs and says "Yeah, right mate. You won't get me with that one." I shove his shoulder again and raise my voice "I'm not f$%king kidding man!!!! Robert Plant is walking down the bar right towards us!!!" Jimmy laughs and turns around to look. He turns back to me and say "You're off your tree friend. That's not Robert Plant." I say "Dammit, it is so!! It has to be." Jimmy says "Sorry mate. You're wrong." Then points straight ahead of us behind the bar and says "THAT'S Robert Plant right there." I turn to look where he's pointing and see that he is pointing at himself in the huge mirror behind the bar. Just as I turn back to him the other Robert Plant walks up, grabs me in a hug and says "Awesome to see you again John. It's been too long."

I'm dumbfounded!!!! And feel like a complete fool.... I pull Jimmy away from me and look to who I thought was Jimmy and he's holding out a passport with his photo on it that clearly reads "Plant, Robert Anthony". My jaw drops and my heart races and I almost fall off my stool.... Robert Plant thrusts his hand out to shake mine and says "Robert Plant. Please to meet you John."

Plant had heard about Jimmy and his band and what an awesome tribute they were to Zeppelin, and how much Jimmy looked, sounded, and acted like himself that he wanted to come in and see it for himself. He stuck around for a bit and talked with us and it was the most incredible time I ever had in my entire life. Plant was the reason I started singing and I had always dreamed of meeting him but thought it was just a dream. I haven't washed my left hand (the one that shooks Plant's) since that day LOL.

I was also lucky enough to see Page and Plant live in 1996 in Sheffield in the UK and they were amazing

Hey, I was there too! It was actually 7/13/95. I was third row center. I remember they had incense sticks burning along the front of the stage. Jimmy looked right at me and smiled before soloing in Since I've Been Loving You. During their final bows they seemed amazed by the reaction of the crowd. I remember turning to see 20,000 roaring faces. That was a great night and there were quite a few others on the tour that month.

I had a close encounter on Plant and Pages Unledded Tour in Australia on the 25th Febuary 1996, I was 17. I went to the concert, and (not that I have to say, but) it was the best night of my life, as you can imagine. I know I'm not the only one, but I do feel like I am the biggest fan in the world. Anyway, after the concert I was with two friends walking back to the car, when, just around the corner of the Sydney Entertainment Centre, there's theis huge big white Limo parked on the side of the road and the Door was open. Oh My God, I thought to myself. It seemed to good to be true. As we approached the Limo, I thought "What will I say, what will I say?" I walked as slow as I could without looking stupid. I looked in the open door and I could see Robert and Jimmy's sillouette. BUT my brain was having as argument with it self. "Is it them?" "No it can't be!" "but it's them, what do I say" "don't be silly, as if it's really them". Although I really new it was them, I froze and kept walking, while kicking myself. I cried when I got home. It's my one and only regret in my life, except selling my Fender Strat (but I'm over that now). What would I say? I litteratly dreamed of meeting them for years up till that point. I thought they were fantacy dreams, but realise now they were trying to prepare me for my big dream come true moment. I still get angry at myself when I think about it, Like right now!

What a show that was, still the best show i've been too :) I went to both shows in Sydney and the 25th was the ONE! As Robert himself said onstage he thought it was the best of the whole tour!!

Here's my little story which i was asked to recall sometime ago...

Friday November 18 Sydney International Airport 1pm

Page/Plant were due to fly out to Argentina as part of their Unledded promotional tour, so i took my chances of 'trying' to meet them. Jimmy arrived first in a white stetch limo. Being a fellow guitarist, Jimmy and I got on real well and the best part was NO ONE else was there so it was one on one, Jimmy and i had a cigarette and talked while the entourage got all the luggage out and into the terminal. Robert arrived 5-10 minutes latter with a blonde in a red sports car :rolleyes: I do remember Robert taking a liking to a book of Australia 1972 tour photos i had them to sign called 'Whole Lotta Zep' and asked if he could have it, to which i responded 'ah, no' ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if this qualifies as a close encounter but here it goes:

I saw Plant in concert many times over the years. The best shows were always at the Universal Amphitheater in Los Angles. I don't remember what tour it was, (Manic Nirvana---maybe), but I purchased tickets through a ticket agency so I could get great seats. I got second row center. I ended up taking a girl that I had a major crush on in high school with me to the concert. She was way out of my league, and I'm not sure why she went with me but she did. She was a 10, without question. I could swear that Robert Plant was staring at her most of the concert! It was to the point that I was staring at Plant staring at my date, and I couldn't concentrate on the music at all.

If I could have said something to him I would have asked if he was checking out my date, but I couldn't. Anyway the date didn't go well and that was the one and only time we went out.

I did get to meet Mic Fleetwood at Ventura Theater in Ventura Ca., and I wanted to ask him about Peter Green, one of my favorite guitarist. I walked up to him and got so nervous I couldn't think, so I just asked him if I could shake his hand. He said sure and we shook hands. I'm sure I would have done the same to Plant had I had the opportunity to speak with him. It's sad and pathetic, oh well. (yes the, "oh well" was intended for Peter Green fans out there if there are any.)

If i ever got to see them in person...I would tell them that i feel it. I feel that magical thing that goes so far beyond the music, im 18 years old, and years after you have made it, your music is still touching my soul like no other band, theres no way to explain how perfect you guys are, thank you for everything you have ever done.

There are three possibilities for that venue during that era, and one is Halloween laugh.gif

10/31/90

11/1/90

10/18/93

I'm getting old and my memory is failing, I think I need a reboot or a new hard drive. I can't remember the date.

I saw Plant once the day before Halloween at the Universal. Again I don't remember the tour but the Black Crows, (It was for the Crows first album), opened the show and it was weird because it seemed more people where there to see the Black Crows then Plant. It was a great show though, but what Plant show isn't great?

First rhing I'd ask them is if they paid the toll fee for earth entry. After that, I'd want to know if they could take all the responsability for all the dumb decisions I've made in my life. Hey, gotta blame someone cause it couldn't possibly be me :P

I'm getting old and my memory is failing, I think I need a reboot or a new hard drive. I can't remember the date.

I saw Plant once the day before Halloween at the Universal. Again I don't remember the tour but the Black Crows, (It was for the Crows first album), opened the show

The Black Crowes opened the 10/31/90 & 11/1/90 concerts.

In 1993 i met Jimmy in a lounge in Reno. My girlfriends and i were driving back to san fran and luckily i wanted to have a drink before we hit the road. My friends husband spied some guys at a booth and swore it was Jimmy Page. He had just seen him recently with The Firm. We were not sure if it was him. We asked the waitress and she said she didnt know,hell she was too young to know. We finally got up the nerve to go over to them and ask for a autograph. they were very polite. Im not sure who the other guys were. Jimmy asked if we had been gaming,i guess british for gambling. when i sat next to him to sign my drink coaster i think i just said that ive always loved your music and ive always loved you. so embarassed! they asked if we wanted to go party and we had to decline because some of us had husbands and were heading to San Fran. husbands anyway! i of corse still have the autograph and the memory i treasure always

After the Fate of Nations tour in Toronto Fall 1993, I went down around 11am to the hotel (5 star hotel in Yorkville) where Plant and his band were staying. Being self employed, I had the opportunity to work on my schedule and figured, I'd have nothing to lose in trying to meet him and this would be a once in a lifetime experience. As I walked into the hotel lobby and took a seat in one of the lobby chairs, I think I was there for a total of about 10 minutes when the elevator door opens and out walks Robert Plant. I watched him approach the counter staff and complete his business with them. After he finished his business I politely approached him and struck up a conversation. We chatted for about ten to fifteen minutes or so, about his tour, Fate of Nation CD sales (he knew exactly how sales were going), and I gave him a copy of the local paper which reviewed his show the night before. He mentioned that he bought a book or two from one of the niche bookstores in the area about Celtic Druids. Of course, the crazy fan that I am, I came prepared with a copy of Fate of Nations CD and a Sharpie marker After he signed my CD, I asked him if it were possible that my wife of 3 months could meet him too? He floored me when he replied "If you can have her here in the lobby around 3pm before we head out for a movie (they had the day off, they were playing Philadelphia the following day) I'd be delighted to meet her and pose for a photo with you two". Imagine the thrill in her voice when I called her at work and said "Honey, you wont believe this, I met Robert Plant today and he wants to meet you too, so leave work early and get your sweet ass down here for 3pm". When we both walked into the hotel lobby at 3pm, there he was, just as he promised, he was waiting in the hotel lobby for us!!! After a 10 min chat, and a picture or two, we left him alone and thanked him for his time. He left with his bandmates to catch their movie. Robert Plant the Golden God took time out for his fans. I was floored!

I met Plant again during the No Quarter tour. They were staying in the same 5 star hotel in Yorkville. Same approach, I showed up at the hotel around 11am. Plant, total gentleman! He signed my CD and chatted for a while. There were a few others around, so I felt lucky enough that he signed my CD and gave me a few minutes of his time. Plus, I knew they were playing Cleveland in the afternoon, so I really didnt want to take up any more of his time. When I met Jimmy Page, I'll never ever forget that moment. It was as if there was a certain vide around him. Talk about Presence!! It was actually kinda spooky. There was this feeling that over came me, something that I had never ever experienced before. He had his bodyguard/assistant with him who was actually ok. When Page walked by me, and I asked his assistant if he could sign my CD, Page looked over and immediately noticed that Plant had already signed it, and he "sure, I see Robert has signed it". Didn't get a chance to really talk to him, they were in a bit of a hurry, they had to catch their flight for the Cleveland show.

I met Plant yet again in Las Vegas in 1995 the No Quarter tour. I was staying at the MGM Grand hotel and they were playing there. I flew down to see them. My wife and I were walking through the lobby going about our business, when I noticed Plant walking by himself towards guest services. Minor conversation in the lobby. I got the feeling he really didn't want to be spotted. He had his hair up, was wearing a pair of Teva sandals, a loud bright shirt and wrap around sunglasses. Again, he was more than a gentleman to his fans. Think he was worried that others would recognize him and make a big scene etc.

Re: Mick Jagger. While doing some business about 8 years ago in one of the mansions in Toronto (on The Bridle Path area) the house keepers told me that while the Stones were in Toronto practicing for their upcoming tour, Mick Jagger had rented the entire house for himself and his chef for the 6 weeks while the Rolling Stones were rehearsing in Toronto. Anyway, turns out, Jagger would spend an hour in front of the mirror applying makeup before he ever left the house for rehearsals. LOL

Archived