Close Encounters, what would you say if met them?

Sassyboo

I did actually met Jason Bonham once in 1996. I was still in collage in Orlando Florida, there is a big music store in an Orlando suburb (Sandford) called Thoroughbred Music (now owned by Sam Ash).

There was a drum workshop open to the public there and I happend to catch one of the few add's that aired on the local radio station about 2 or 3 days before the event. I was not in school that day so I said to myself, "I'm there!"

Maybe 100 or so people showed up so there where good seats to be had for all. He went through a short lesson on read basic drum chart's and then his band got up and they played a few song's for the new album. I don't remember witch song's they played that's been almost 15 years ago, but they where quite good.

After the jam Jason took question's from the audience, "I'll talk about my father if anyone wishes to know anything about him or his music. A few people asked about how the best way to learn to play was and about Led Zeppelin, this young kid in front of me said, "how do I get to be as good as you?"

Jason with a modest reply said, "work on your groove and practice, practice, practice." I followed up by asking "How much did you see John practice?" Jason gave me a grin and chuckled saying, "My father never practiced, they would all get together a week or two before going out on tour and work on the new song's". "He was running a farm and had little time to play drum's outside of Led Zeppelin".

After the Q&A he signed anything we brought to him. I was towards the front of the line and he signed the insert to the import of "Presence" that I had got at a pawn shop when I first moved down there in the winter of 1996. We talked for a few, about the school I was going to and music. I thanked him and then left, there was a long line of people behind me.

Archived