What do James Brown and Zep have in common?

McSeven

I was sitting here and thinking to myself. I like every single thing that Zep has ever done. At least 98% of the time. No bad notes or songs for the most part. Live they are even better. I even like ITTOD. So any insights so far.

I can't figure out what it is about them that my musical system likes so much. The only other artist to rival them is James Brown. No other music in the world hits me like they both do.

What I can't understand is that JB and Zep are on both sides of the musical spectrum.

I know I am rambeling a little bit. My question is Why do I like them both equally if they both play different types of music.

Mc7

I was sitting here and thinking to myself. I like every single thing that Zep has ever done. At least 98% of the time. No bad notes or songs for the most part. Live they are even better. I even like ITTOD. So any insights so far.

I can't figure out what it is about them that my musical system likes so much. The only other artist to rival them is James Brown. No other music in the world hits me like they both do.

What I can't understand is that JB and Zep are on both sides of the musical spectrum.

I know I am rambeling a little bit. My question is Why do I like them both equally if they both play different types of music.

Mc7

The great thing about Led Zeppelin was the chemistry, and part of that was the musical influences each brought into the group. You may know they performed James Brown's 'Sex Machine' and 'Licking Stick' at the LA Forum in

'75 (available on audience recordings) and that Jimmy attended James' 1970 Hammersmith Odeon concert.

Mc7

Hello McSeven!

I can't answer that for you, but I can give you my opinion. As James Brown was the Father of Soul...and since Zeppelin has so much blues and soul in their ballads--probably why your thinking this wasy IMHO??

In the liner notes to Led Zeppelin's Box Set, Zep bassist John Paul Jones explained how, on the plane, he and Bonham would listen to James Brown tapes. "Bonzo had very broad listening tastes," Jonesy shared. "When we weren't listening to James Brown or Otis Redding, he might be listening to Joni Mitchell or Crosby Stills Nash & Young. Bonzo was a great lover of songs."

"Bonzo had got up to do his sound check, and the three James Brown drummers had sidled over. They started looking around for the other drummers, because he sounded like what all three of them did, but there was only one of him! And they just stood around, with their jaws dropped. He was pretending not to notice them; he was showing off somewhat."

"He really liked the James Brown stuff, and all the Motown stuff, Al Green - very much so - and whoever the drummers were. John was a soul drummer, really."

What was that Motown group, the Stylistics? They'd do all these sweet ballads, and he knew all the words."

--John Paul Jones

I see now what I am posting. Bonzo and JPJ listen to a lot of James Brown/Motown music. It influences their playing. So when I listen to it. It takes me back to James Brown style and reinforces me liking JB.

I really listen to both on a regular basis. I play a bit of Sax. Right now in my head I have a Sax riff that combines James Brown and Zeppelin. Its hard to describe but the only way I could describe it by songs would be to take Zeps MMHop/GTBT/LemonSong/Celebration Day up beat happiness. Combined with James Brown's Sex Machine/Get on the Good foot/I feel Good/Give it up Turn it loose. Mid tempo groove.

The first part sounds like JB,s I feel good. Then the second part sounds like a funky zeppelin riff. Almost like the end part of Zeps SRTS Whole Lotta Love. The funky live end riff.

When I get it together. I will post a soundbite.

Mc7

Music doesn't have to have similarity to be appreciated by me. Many of my favorite artists have nothing in common and to spend time trying to find a common thread would be a waste of time. I like what I like.

The only thing JB and LZ have in common is you really like both.

Mc7

How's it going "McSeven?" I hope all is well with you. What do James Brown and Zep have in common? Hmmmmmm...., thats a good question! The only thing that quickly comes to mind is that both lead singers LOVE TO GET THE LED OUT! Ha Ha! ROCK ON!

Archived