Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy dead at 77

Jahfin

For God's sake, his fucked up family hasn't even buried him yet! They're probably trying to beat that corpse for all the dollars it has left.

Ha!

Here in Augusta, I think the family of James Brown must have some kind of record for how long they waited to bury The Godfather! (Super-awesome guy, BTW - met him once at a gas station here in town where he stood for probably 10 minutes talking with me and maybe 4 others. Totally accessible and no pretentiousness, and he truly loved the town he was from, despite its deplorable history. JB was awesome.)

Some comments from Ed Klein of Newsweek and The New York Times Magazine (not exactly a right winger) in the link:

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=M2M2YWQ1ODQwNjZiOGVmZWU3MzQ2MmZmMDk4MWExZGY=

If what Mr. Klein says is true (I don't see what his motivation would be for making something like this up about a man he admired.)..........well there simply are no words.

Yeah, sounds like a great guy.. <_<

Yeah, sounds like a great guy.. <_<

I am seeing certain morally confused individuals on message boards actually defending Teddy's sense of humor about Chappaquidick. He's the butt of the jokes after all, so it's perfectly OK for him to laugh about...erm..that whole thing where he let the young girl drown.

If this is true. If he actually found any joke about that horrible tragedy funny, then the man was a sociopath. Someone whose life isn't to be celebrated at all. Someone to be absolutely loathed.

I think there's been a total misunderstanding of a common syndrome, whereby if people know that something painful is the subject of humor, the way to defuse that is to show awareness of it and be the first to mention it.

And I'm not morally confused.

That is simply rationalizing a justification for repulsively insensitive behavior. It is not "common" for one to have as one of his favorite topics for humor an incident where he caused the death of a young girl.

I believe a more plausible explanation is that Ted Kennedy was simply a sociopath. I have seen episodes of him in his capacity as a Senator that are strongly indicative of sociopathy, or what was commonly referred to in the 19th century as "moral insanity".

I am seeing certain morally confused individuals on message boards actually defending Teddy's sense of humor about Chappaquidick. He's the butt of the jokes after all, so it's perfectly OK for him to laugh about...erm..that whole thing where he let the young girl drown.

If this is true. If he actually found any joke about that horrible tragedy funny, then the man was a sociopath. Someone whose life isn't to be celebrated at all. Someone to be absolutely loathed.

Sometimes people laugh when they feel like crying.

That is simply rationalizing a justification for repulsively insensitive behavior. It is not "common" for one to have as one of his favorite topics for humor an incident where he caused the death of a young girl.

I believe a more plausible explanation is that Ted Kennedy was simply a sociopath. I have seen episodes of him in his capacity as a Senator that are strongly indicative of sociopathy, or what was commonly referred to in the 19th century as "moral insanity".

I agree.

At the annual correspondents' dinner, GW Bush (in the standing custom of using self-deprecating humor) poked fun at what was pretty well-established as his biggest perceived shortcoming by making light of the WMDs issue.

I've never seen such hyperventilating and moral outrage as what erupted from the left.

And it's not like it was Bush's "favorite topic" for humor - he was just conforming to tradition and still got blasted.

But when we find out that Ted actively sought-out jokes and humor involving such a heinous incident, that resulted not only in the death of an innocent young woman, but blatantly revealed the craven response and wretched character of a man who would value his station in life, career and other personal concerns above the life of another human being, and it is dismissed as a "coping mechanism", and an insight into "his ability to see other views".

I wonder how often he pondered the view Mary Jo had as the vehicle quickly filled with water and rapidly submerged into the dark water?

Quick - someone tell me the latest Chappaquiddock joke! ROFL!

Disgusting.

Edited by TypeO

I am simply pointing out that he was more than likely embarrassed by his failure to rescue Mary Jo Kopechne. At least I'm not stupid enough to confuse that with an attempt to rationalize.

But I guess some people just can't see beyond their own narrow-minded points of view and then assume the worst of everyone, no matter how dumb their assumptions are.

Edited by eternal light

I am simply pointing out that he was more than likely embarrassed by his failure to rescue Mary Jo Kopechne. At least I'm not stupid.

He may very well have been embarrassed by the public attention to his atrocious behavior. He can certainly deal with that embarrassment without cracking jokes about its source.

He may very well have been embarrassed by the public attention to his atrocious behavior. He can certainly deal with that embarrassment without cracking jokes about its source.

I certainly do not know how he would do that seeing as the man is now deceased, may he rest in peace.

Edited by eternal light

This is ludicrous, and thus requires no further discussion.

But let me point out, on the humor issue, that you're simply picking up on second- and third-hand sources, that may or may not be true, and even if they do, they supply no context whatsoever.

It was always obvious to me the guy was a pig, a murderer and a limo liberal. But hey, he enjoyed sailing! wacko.gif

This is ludicrous, and thus requires no further discussion.

But let me point out, on the humor issue, that you're simply picking up on second- and third-hand sources, that may or may not be true, and even if they do, they supply no context whatsoever.

Requires no further discussion? What does require discussion on the "ramble on" message board, since you're the arbiter of such a thing?

As far as second, third, et al sources are concerned, I did stipulate early on that "if" he saw humor in these things it is absolutely disgusting. However, considering the man who made that claim is a prominent liberal journalist and admirer of Ted Kennedy, it seems pretty far fetched that he would make such a thing up.

Also, I like to know what a proper context would be for someone who at the very least committed manslaughter telling a joke about it.

Even the source you're referring to--from National Review, for heaven's sake--doesn't say that HE told jokes about the matter, and it stresses the remorse he felt. There's no point arguing this topic or in having further discussion precisely because the discussants have already decided what this means and that it fits their preconceived ideas. It seems to me that it indicates that Kennedy was a very complex figure, but no point in continuing that line of argument when no nuances are allowed.

It is not "common" for one to have as one of his favorite topics for humor an incident where he caused the death of a young girl.

I've never heard of such a thing. Maybe some of these Kennedy apologists can post some examples of this common behavior being acceptable.

Even the source you're referring to--from National Review, for heaven's sake--doesn't say that HE told jokes about the matter, and it stresses the remorse he felt. There's no point arguing this topic or in having further discussion precisely because the discussants have already decided what this means and that it fits their preconceived ideas. It seems to me that it indicates that Kennedy was a very complex figure, but no point in continuing that line of argument when no nuances are allowed.

The source is Ed Klein of Newsweek. National Review merely provided a link to his interview and their own commentary. True remorse over the horrible death one causes an innocent young girl would entail shunning the subject as fodder for a chuckle it seems.

As far as complexity is concerned, that trait can be found in all sorts of scoundrels, but it doesn't dilute the loathsome nature of their transgressions.

Your point about a topic being moot for discussion because people have already reached their own conclusions could be extrapolated to render forty years of Ted's comments on political issues pointless and not required. A more implacable demogogue set in his left wing opinions would have been difficult to find.