Zeppelin Books

BlackDog71

This is really awesome PlanetPage, where is/was this?

...this coolest diner is here....

Zep Diner

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8SM3222_V9s/SOAXmsxDkbI/AAAAAAAABK0/b4ELzVxcEt0/s400/DDD2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://viewlinerltd.blogspot.com/2008/10/diners-drive-ins-dives.html&usg=__aWH5sb0X8qbvsq6byYlLOPgv96A=&h=278&w=400&sz=23&hl=en&start=7&um=1&tbnid=nTJVqWZvivYlAM:&tbnh=86&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dzep%2Bdiner%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26channel%3Ds%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

I would love to see the Chain of Diners across America with special Zep book song-by-song, with commentary of the Engineers, a la Eddie Kramer, the venue insiders, the food vendors outside of the venues where the Zep music was performed...that collective community spirit captured in a special DinnerTable Book.. a must for fans..yes, Zep can say word a two...

zep_diner2.jpg

Giving recommendations is based on personal subjective thoughts, what one person may like another may not, it depends what you are looking for really.

Looking at Evsters and Steves lists i would share someof them as must haves, remember to suspend your disbelief at times with some of them especially Stairway to heaven and Hammer of the Gods and the unauthorised bigraphies. Many of the books attempt to portray an accurate inside look at the band but most struggle and many regurgitate the same info/misinfo and pictures.

My first buys were Howard Mylett and Richie Yorke and they still stand up over the years.

If you want accuracy then you will struggle but if you want picture books then Halfin and Neil Preston are worth having.

Heaven and Hell has a good mix of history, info about the songs and pictures.

If you want more about the songs try Dazed and Confused by Chris Welch.

I like Hexagonal Expriences, a simple but nice pictoral book with some less often seen pics and covers up to Page and Plant in 95.

I also recommend The Montreux Concerts by our own webmaster Sam Rapello, a nice book this.

If you want early days stuff/interviews from people who saw them on tour in the US then Sonic Boom is a must, not cheap but worth it and there are more volumes to come.

Dave Lewis is always worth having especially if you want to know more about the tours, the bootlegs etc.

I loved reading Mick Bonhams book on Bonzo, it doesnt get more personal than that really. And to back that try A thunder of Drums if you are interested in Bonzos styel, technical at times but still worth having.

A nice little read with Zep crucial to the story is Suzy Led Zeppelin and me, its not an insight into the band but one persons story of the time Zep played Glasgow and his life at the time.

It would take all day to go through the list but its just a flavour.

So really its up to the individual as to what they want.

We will probably never get the definitve inside story but as a long standing fan I buy stuff as it comes out to add to my collection, good bad and indifferent they will always be.

It would be good if someone did an 02 book along the lines of Dave lewis's Knebworth one and capture the feeling for this one incredible show from people around the world who came together, formed lasting freeindships with strangers and witnessed the beauty and power and the one true Magic of Led Zeppelin.

Reading the fiction thread i can tell you people's fantasies come nowhere near in terms of what it was like from announcement to getting the tickets to going to the show. That was a very real and a beautiful thing to experience. The same as when I saw them previously, you can't really imagine what it is like to know you are going to see Led Zeppelin. Its a totally physical and emotional experience trust me.

I like my collection and won't hesitate to post my list again for those who want to see some of what's out there regardless of the stroppy demands and responses from some ( well one person really).:D

So just buy stuff, collect what you can, just have the books and make your own judgements print your list and then share your views with those that come along in the future wanting recommendations. B)

...I like my collection and won't hesitate to post my list again for those who want to see some of what's out there regardless of the stroppy demands and responses from some ( well one person really).:D

Speaking as the "stroppy guy", I like your collection too, so thank you for adding the comments about some of them.

:thumbsup:

I hope you saw my last post, where I did offer some appology, and more of the background to my stance in this thread? However, I stick to my basic point: a short list with comments added is likely to be more useful than a long list with no comments. Subjective? Of course it is. But that's kind of the point of asking for recomendations.

Anyway, let's move on. Life's short.

:peace:

Delivered t his morning Good Times Bad Times A Visual Biography of the Ultimate band by Jerry Prochnicky and Talph Hulett.

An initial quick flick through to see what pics there are and I saw many previoulsly printed pics so i thought it's just the same old stuff. But on closer inspection there are quite a few pics i don't remember seeing in other books ( unlessmy memory is worse than i thought). Some of JPJ dancing with his wife and kids at home I don't remember seeing.

It documents the band year by year with the last pic being the huge Led Zeppelin projection at the o2.

So a mix of stuff for me, would be a good introduction for newcomers, don't aexpect a lot of info about the band though this is what it says "a visual biography".

Worth getting all the same, but Ibuy the books a sthey comeout anyway.

Its now out on Amazon released this week.

Delivered t his morning Good Times Bad Times A Visual Biography of the Ultimate band by Jerry Prochnicky and Talph Hulett.

I just got this book today. It has some great eye candy and all around good pictures. Being a huge Robert fan, it's totally worth it just for the picture of Robert's naked butt. (Page 42 for those of you who care about those things. B) )

I haven't been through it page by page yet, but I agree that it appears to be a good visual biography if not a true biography of the band.

Edited to add: I'm very impressed with all of your collections. I had no idea there were even that many books out about Zeppelin! Wow!

suzy, led zeppelin and me is a nice read. its not essential at all as its not a biography, but a personal tale of a young lad's life at the time zeppelin played at the glasgow apollo in 72. you wont learn anything about the band from it but if you were young in the 70s it might trigger some happy memories

suzy, led zeppelin and me is a nice read. its not essential at all as its not a biography, but a personal tale of a young lad's life at the time zeppelin played at the glasgow apollo in 72. you wont learn anything about the band from it but if you were young in the 70s it might trigger some happy memories

Thats partly why I like it, it's my age group, my era and i could and can still completely share that sense of excitement of led zeppelin coming to my town and going to see them in 1973. I didnt have a girlfriend called Suzy nor am I Scottish but some of the teenage anxieties, angst, lust and joy was there in me too. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

The books have different strengths of course, and are meant to cover different aspects, so the real question is what is it about the band that you're interested in. For a good overview Ritchie Yorke's book remains the best book out there - well, I still haven't read Mick Wall's recent book - can I admit that I have my doubts that it betters Yorke's?

For an account of their trajectory that centers more intensively on the music and takes legacy really seriously, Shadwick's book is by far the most interesting: One may not agree with him all the time, but that's beside the point, because he gives you a lot to consider and invariably provides a very informed point of view.

A whole other dimension opens up when you start listening to the bootlegs, trying to get a good overview of their trajectory as a live act, strictly speaking. The Concert File is a must-have book when you're delving into the boots. Yes, as always, there are some errors in there, but not many, and compiling a book like that is a LOT of hard work.

One thing I always find especially interesting is what the musicians themselves have to say about their work, and in this respect Led Zeppelin is no exception. Several interviews have shed much needed light on the band's output, and as an introduction to that whole field Led Zeppelin in Their Own Words and Jimmy Page: Tangents Within a Framework remain excellent. I would recommend going on to purchase at least some of original magazines, but there's a lot in these two books, and if you get the old book by Charles Cross, Heaven and Hell, you get a reprint of the fabulous 1977 interview with Jimmy from Trouser Press along with great photos by Neal Preston and other stuff.

Archived