Oasis is no more!

MisterMcLov1n

Noel Gallagher "quitting Oasis"

Noel Gallagher has announced he is quitting rock band Oasis because he can no longer work with his brother Liam.

Noel, the group's lead guitarist, made the statement on the band's website. He said a series of rows with his brother led to the decision.

The guitarist said: "It's with some sadness and great relief to tell you that I quit Oasis tonight.

"People will write and say what they like, but I simply could not go on working with Liam a day longer."

"Apologies to all the people who bought tickets for the shows in Paris, Konstanz and Milan," he added.

'Gutted'

Earlier it was announced the band had cancelled their second gig in the space of a week because of "an altercation within the band".

They had been expected to play the Rock en Seine festival in Paris, but fans at the concert were told by the support band that Oasis would not be performing.

Many of the crowd thought it was a joke - until screens at either side of the stage showed the message "as a result of an altercation within the band, the Oasis gig has been cancelled".

Oasis fans used Twitter to respond to the news that lead guitarist Noel had quit.

PsychedelicAdam posted: "Noel Gallagher leaves Oasis? Gutted, no more Oasis then I guess, they were one of my favourite bands."

Wolvolass said: "I feel sick, sooo many good memories and gigs seeing Oasis over the years."

MattGriffin added: "This is the worst day ever."

On Sunday the band had also cancelled their headline slot at the V Festival in Essex after Liam was diagnosed with viral laryngitis.

Wild lifestyles

They performed in Stafford on Saturday but the singer was advised by doctors not to perform again.

Oasis formed in Manchester in 1991, but were originally known as The Rain.

The group was formed by Liam Gallagher (vocals and tambourine), Paul Arthurs (guitar), Paul McGuigan (bass guitar) and Tony McCarroll (drums, percussion), but were soon joined by Liam's older brother Noel Gallagher (lead guitar and vocals).

According to the Belfast Telegraph, by June 2009 Oasis had sold more than 50 million records worldwide.

They have had eight UK number-one singles and have amassed 15 NME Awards, five BRIT Awards, nine Q Awards and four MTV Europe Music Awards.

In February 2007, Oasis received the BRIT Award for outstanding contribution to music.

The Gallagher brothers have featured regularly in tabloid newspapers for their sibling disputes, wild lifestyles and highly-public feud with rival Britpop band Blur.

The final line-up consisted of guitarist Gem Archer and bassist Andy Bell, as well as unofficial drummer Chris Sharrock.

source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8228053.stm

Sorry to those who liked Oasis, but I will be celebrating tonight!

I'm a fan, and find Noel & Liam to be amusing when they're at each other's throats. But they are both drama queens and one of them seems to quit every other week, and they always get back together eventually. If anything, maybe this will just be an extended hiatus. Can't see it being a permanent thing no matter WHAT the papers say. ;)

Should have happened years ago, I enjoyed there first two albums but even by Morning Glory it became obvious Noel would be better off going it alone from those great tracks hidden away as B-sides(The Masterplan, Talk Tonight, Half the World Away, Going Nowhere etc) and as the years went on the Liam sung/snarled rockier tracks went from classics like Columbia to annoying self parody.

Hopefully more of this kind of thing from Noel solo....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd6nTKN5I9A&feature=related

I heard from my sister, she's really upset about it, she was watching the perfomence when Neol walked off stage, needless to say she was really pissed off. But I do agree with LDW they have technically broken up until one of them says "it's over"

:blink: You mean they HAVEN'T, do you?

Well, with all the bitching between the two brothers through all the years, it's not really that surprising I guess...

I couldn't care less.

Hi Reg, and you know what mate? i can really feel your pain. :lol:

Regards, Danny

PS, And as someone who has met Liam, i agree totally with what Jarlaxel 56 said.

PSS, And as a Hammers fan well, "I'm forever bursting bubbles"

Hi Reg, and you know what mate? i can really feel your pain. laugh.gif

Regards, Danny

PS, And as someone who has met Liam, i agree totally with what Jarlaxel 56 said.

PSS, And as a Hammers fan well, "I'm forever bursting bubbles"

G'day mate!

Noel ain't no shrinking violet, either!

Hammers eh?

One of my favourite football jokes.

The FA put on a meet and greet for the fans and provided a pig on a spit.

The first bloke steps up and and the server asks, "Who do you support?"

To which he answered, "West Ham!"

"Oh good, I'll give you a large portion of the left leg then, shall I?"

The next bloke steps up and he was asked the same question to which he answered, "Arsenal, but I'm not hungry!"

Alf Garnett would be proud of you Danny!

Cheers,

Reggie.

I think the "bursting bubble" sentence is way over used in this thread by now. :D

Regarding Oasis, I hardly knew they still existed.. But they sure used to be a great band (back in the early 90's). Personally I'm quite tired of the 90's, let's wait another ten years before a revival. Please. :D

G'day mate!

Noel ain't no shrinking violet, either!

Hammers eh?

One of my favourite football jokes.

The FA put on a meet and greet for the fans and provided a pig on a spit.

The first bloke steps up and and the server asks, "Who do you support?"

To which he answered, "West Ham!"

"Oh good, I'll give you a large portion of the left leg then, shall I?"

The next bloke steps up and he was asked the same question to which he answered, "Arsenal, but I'm not hungry!"

Alf Garnett would be proud of you Danny!

Cheers,

Reggie.

Thanks Reg,

My Old Nan and Grandad could have been Alf and his Missus you know, our house was a model for that series, my Nan especially had the Wit of Dandy Nichols and my Grandad was as Biggoted as Alf himself, so you know where i gets it from dont ya? :lol:

Luv the Ammers joke mate, luv it. :beer:

Did ya see our little rumpus with our Millwall cousins mate, when will the Old Bill ever leard that you have to keeps us apart on match days as we have a luv/ate relationship, we both luv to ate each other. Except me, as i was brought/dragged up on the Isle of Dogs, Millwall terrotory you know? but as a devoted Ammers fan and also fond of Millwall, i would be a Traitor to both sets of supporters, so mums the word Reg, keep it stum please mate you could be saving me bacon. :beer:

Regards, Danny

• 2 years later...

"Elo kiddies! Guess WHO'S back? Noel Gallagher, that's who.

From the LA Times:(yes, he mentions Led Zeppelin)

Noel Gallagher test wings for 'High Flying' solo launch

He's already selling well at home in the U.K. His sound includes Oasis-type numbers and disco. 'I haven't lost the sense of wonder of writing songs,' he says.

By Matt Diehl, Special to the Los Angeles Times

November 9, 2011

"No one told me Neil Young recorded here!" Noel Gallagher exclaimed, standing amid stuffed polar bears and ornate Italianate antiques in the grand room of the Paramour. The Silver Lake mansion is where Young made "Le Noise," and it's where Gallagher shot his music video in August for "If I Had a Gun…," the first U.S. single off his solo debut, "High Flying Birds," released Tuesday.

Gallagher is both an apt pupil of rock history and a part of it: He rose to fame in the '90s as the guitarist and songwriter for Oasis, penning hits like "Wonderwall" and "Champagne Supernova" that transformed the Britpop group from Manchester, England, into superstars, selling more than 70 million albums worldwide. On the flip side of that fame was a sibling rivalry that provided endless tabloid fodder. The fisticuffs, press taunting and onstage blowouts between Gallagher and the band's frontman, his younger brother Liam, became the stuff of rock legend.

Despite the constant friction, Oasis continued to perform together until August 2009, when an alleged backstage altercation between the siblings before a Paris concert sounded the group's death knell. Apart, the Gallaghers supplied more grist for the gossip mill. Liam entered the fray first, forming the group Beady Eye and released "Different Gear, Still Speeding" — a successful if tepidly reviewed effort that came out in March.

At a July news conference, Noel announced his own solo plans and then claimed Liam canceled a high-profile festival appearance because he was hung over (and not from laryngitis as his brother claimed). The younger Gallagher immediately responded with threats of a lawsuit. "If people are interested in the music, great," Noel said. "As for the stuff that's going on around all that — really, if you're getting your information from the British press, be wary.

Media circus aside, Noel seemed unsure about how he'd be received as a solo artist: "A Noel Gallagher audience — what is that?" he wondered aloud in "It's Never Too Late to Be What U Might Have Been," a documentary about the making of "High Flying Birds." The numbers, however, reveal that Noel does indeed have a following (and holds a leading edge over his brother). His album received three times the number of Amazon pre-orders than Beady Eye's LP and sold nearly double the copies in the U.K. its first week out. The first night of Noel's two-day performance at UCLA's Royce Hall on Nov. 17-18 has already sold out.

Also, Noel Gallagher's single, "If I Had a Gun…," has made inroads at influential radio stations like L.A.'s KROQ-FM (106.7). "The response from commercial radio has been really positive," explains KROQ music director Lisa Worden. "Oasis' songs remain really big library tracks for the station, but Noel having new music on KROQ exposes him to younger listeners."

"Between us and KROQ, there's lots of support," notes Sky Daniels, a revered music-industry figure and current program director for KCSN-FM (88.5), where Gallagher's new material is in power rotation. "I'm always trying to find new music from '90s heroes — and in the case of Noel's record, I was blown away."

According to Nic Harcourt, the L.A. radio tastemaker who currently broadcasts a show on KCSN, Gallagher has reached new levels of respectability. "In the '90s, you heard Oasis between Soundgarden and Pearl Jam," Harcourt says. "Now you'll hear Noel Gallagher next to Tom Waits and Laura Marling." That's reflected in renewed critical acclaim: U.K. newspaper the Guardian raved that "High Flying Birds" represents some of Gallagher's "best tunes in 15 years."

The album also breaks new artistic ground for Gallagher. While he has guested on club grooves by the Chemical Brothers, Gallagher has never written a dance floor track of his own — until now. "My wife said, 'There's no getting around it — this is disco,'" Gallagher said of his track "AKA … What a Life!" off of the new CD. "It made me slightly uneasy: It's a dance song, and I can't dance. But once I got used to it, I decided it's one of the best things I've ever done."

Elsewhere, Gallagher's solo material evokes Oasis in the best way. "AKA … Broken Arrow" recalls the irresistible psychedelic hooks of "Wonderwall"; with its chunky riffs and chanted chorus, "Dream On" suggests "Morning Glory"-era stompers like "Roll With It."

The parallels make sense considering much of the material on "High Flying Birds was written years ago when he was still in Oasis. "I've been hearing some of these songs for years," says Dave Sardy, the studio guru who co-produced "High Flying Birds." "Noel's got stuff tucked away from when he wrote 'Wonderwall.'"

Gallagher and Sardy did significant recording for the album in L.A., holing up at Sunset Sound for sessions. "'Led Zeppelin II' was done there, and 'Riders on the Storm,'" Gallagher marvels. "I've grown to love California: It's the dream of every English musician to come here and work in the sunshine. To walk up Sunset Boulevard, knowing you're going to make music — that's it.

"Even though I'm older, I haven't lost the sense of wonder of writing songs," he says. "I don't think I ever will. It's all me, isn't it? I'm can't sack myself — although that day will come, believe you me!"

calendar@latimes.com

Copyright © 2011, Los Angeles Times

The ironic thing is Noel's single "What A Life" sounds exactly like Coldplay, a band he has been slagging for years. Still, it is infinitely better than the awful "Beady Eye", his brother Liam's effort.

Hmmm, I haven't been keeping up with Liam so I didn't even know about that...thanks for the warning, Knebby!

I loved this quote from Noel in the article: "I've grown to love California: It's the dream of every English musician to come here and work in the sunshine. To walk up Sunset Boulevard, knowing you're going to make music — that's it."

Boy, ain't that the truth...there are days when you can't spit in LA without hitting an Englishman, hehehe. Not that I make it a habit of spitting, so don't worry Knebby...if you're ever in LA you won't have to worry about flying expectorate. :D

Archived