4th Anniversary of Hurricane Katrina

Dzldoc

August 29, 2005 a day that changed mine and hundreds of thousands of others lives forever.

For those of you that live along the coast lines and consider riding out a major storm, let the

above video serve as a reminder of the power of storm surge.

One of my co-workers neighbors shot this video from their home just 10mi south of down town

New orleans and 30mi from the gulf of Mexico as the crow flies.

God bless the unfortunate.mellow.gif

I can't believe it's been four years. My heart goes out to those who weren't fortunate to survive and those who are still trying to put the pieces of their lives and homes back together. That video left me speechless.

I survived it and can't believe it's been four years. My family still lives there. You are always raised that no matter what happens ou can go back home....we couldn't and the place that we grew up in no longer looked or felt the same. It was unbelievable to see the devastation in person.

I survived it and can't believe it's been four years. My family still lives there. You are always raised that no matter what happens ou can go back home....we couldn't and the place that we grew up in no longer looked or felt the same. It was unbelievable to see the devastation in person.

I'm so sorry Deborah. I can't begin to imagine what that's like because my parents still live in the same house I grew up in. I'm sure seeing that devastation in person was far worse than what we saw on tv which was pretty horrific.

My boyfriend grew up in the New Orleans area. His grandmother owned a house on Octavia Street.

His mother lives in Bay St. Louis, MI and lost her house to that storm. It's sad--now the only childhood/baby photos that exist of him and his sister are the ones they had their hands on in Idaho or in Missouri.

Though loss of a home isn't as big a loss of a life, it's very much like that. His mother's dog died after the storm, and to this day, she can't look at a Great Dane without feeling guilty that she didn't take her dog to St. Louis to stay with my boyfriend's sister when the storm hit.

It's awful to see how much hasn't been rebuilt, too. And how many people are still living in FEMA trailers in my area, in the northern part of the state, where they evacuated after the storm. They can't get jobs here, and have nothing to return to there.

Hello All!

Eternallight, thanks for posting the Fats Domino, Ray Charles, Jerrt Lee Lewis video. Kind of made me pause a minute as I am sure I will do a lot today.

I remember seeing Jerry Lee Lewis at City Park and the man literally played the piano with his feet, he actually stood oj the keys and played!!! Ray Charles I have seen a quite a few times. The house I lived in was only half a mile or so from Fats Domino's home.

I always felt so fortunate to grow up in an area that was so full of some of the greatest music. There was a festival every weekend and you could go to the best Jazz and Blues clubs on any given weekend/weekday night.

This song is the one that got to me after Katrina--one of my favorite home town boys:

My boyfriend grew up in the New Orleans area. His grandmother owned a house on Octavia Street.

His mother lives in Bay St. Louis, MI and lost her house to that storm. It's sad--now the only childhood/baby photos that exist of him and his sister are the ones they had their hands on in Idaho or in Missouri.

Though loss of a home isn't as big a loss of a life, it's very much like that. His mother's dog died after the storm, and to this day, she can't look at a Great Dane without feeling guilty that she didn't take her dog to St. Louis to stay with my boyfriend's sister when the storm hit.

Very sad at so many things that happened. I went back about 6 weeks after the storm and sitting on my porch and remembering how quite the city was. I only lived about 4 blocks from the quarter and I could always wake up smelling the coffee and hearing music most of every day. To sit there,the silence was numbing.My house did not flood, but it was broken into and a mess and I had just spent 7 months renovating it, completeing it 2 months before the storm. It was a 180 year old Creole Cottage on St Ferdinand Street.

Hello All!

Eternallight, thanks for posting the Fats Domino, Ray Charles, Jerrt Lee Lewis video. Kind of made me pause a minute as I am sure I will do a lot today.

I remember seeing Jerry Lee Lewis at City Park and the man literally played the piano with his feet, he actually stood oj the keys and played!!! Ray Charles I have seen a quite a few times. The house I lived in was only half a mile or so from Fats Domino's home.

I always felt so fortunate to grow up in an area that was so full of some of the greatest music. There was a festival every weekend and you could go to the best Jazz and Blues clubs on any given weekend/weekday night.

This song is the one that got to me after Katrina--one of my favorite home town boys:

You're welcome, Deborah J smile.gif

There was some rumor about the levee being blown this time as it was then but I have not seen any reliable corroboration of the story yet. However it is apparent from the fireman's video that it was broken and not merely overflowed.

You're welcome, Deborah J smile.gif

There was some rumor about the levee being blown this time as it was then but I have not seen any reliable corroboration of the story yet. However it is apparent from the fireman's video that it was broken and not merely overflowed.

I had heard the rumours as well, but the fact is those levees were not built to sustain anything above a catogory 2. I rememeber watching on the TV as they announced the levees broke, it was like thinking this can't be real, this must be a movie.

I loved growing up there. Memories of going to see The Neville Brothers and Irma Thomas and so many great musicians at Tipitina's on Napolean Ave, and the Lakefront, The East,Downtown and of course the Quarter. The place partied 24/7 literally. We have drive thr daquiri places!! It was a great place to grow up culturally.

I had heard the rumours as well, but the fact is those levees were not built to sustain anything above a catogory 2. I rememeber watching on the TV as they announced the levees broke, it was like thinking this can't be real, this must be a movie.

I loved growing up there. Memories of going to see The Neville Brothers and Irma Thomas and so many great musicians at Tipitina's on Napolean Ave, and the Lakefront, The East,Downtown and of course the Quarter. The place partied 24/7 literally. We have drive thr daquiri places!! It was a great place to grow up culturally.

console.gifbeer.gif Those were great times Deb and nothing can take away the memories, guess that's why I can't leavegimmefive.gif

Some personal photos I had taken during our recovery work to remove some of the 300+ delivery vehicles that were submerged.

This was at the Violet Post Office in St. Bernard Parish a couple miles from where that video was taken.

Every home and every business in the entire parish sustained damage and the entire parish was covered in that thick stinky mud!blink.gif

These particular vehicles had floated up and over an 8ft chain link fence!

0a2c6e72.jpg

95fcad8f.jpg

a1ef1710.jpg

628e5783.jpg

August 29, 2005 a day that changed mine and hundreds of thousands of others lives forever.

For those of you that live along the coast lines and consider riding out a major storm, let the

above video serve as a reminder of the power of storm surge.

One of my co-workers neighbors shot this video from their home just 10mi south of down town

New orleans and 30mi from the gulf of Mexico as the crow flies.

God bless the unfortunate.mellow.gif

How's it going "Dzldoc" A.K.A. Charles? I always wish the best for both you and your son. WOW Charles, 4 years? I can't believe that its been that long. Hurricane Katrina has to rank as one of the worst (If not the worst) Hurricanes ever! Katrina sure did cause a lot of damage as well as take a lot of lives. How has New Orleans been doing? New Orleans is a survivor and should rebuild to becoming an even greater city growing to even greater heights prior to Katrina just like "beatbo's" great city of Biloxi, Mississippi. I hope and wish for the best for both cities. Hell, I'm even looking forward to traveling to New Orleans in the near future. In the mean time, ROCK ON my friend!

How's it going "Dzldoc" A.K.A. Charles? I always wish the best for both you and your son. WOW Charles, 4 years? I can't believe that its been that long. Hurricane Katrina has to rank as one of the worst (If not the worst) Hurricanes ever! Katrina sure did cause a lot of damage as well as take a lot of lives. How has New Orleans been doing? New Orleans is a survivor and should rebuild to becoming an even greater city growing to even greater heights prior to Katrina just like "beatbo's" great city of Biloxi, Mississippi. I hope and wish for the best for both cities. Hell, I'm even looking forward to traveling to New Orleans in the near future. In the mean time, ROCK ON my friend!

No offense but IMHO do you really think it's appropriate to say "rock on" in a thread that's of a somber nature?

Archived