Terry Reid

lzzoso

I have just started to listen to this Guy. I remember seeing him years ago on the Glastonbury Fayre Film of the original 1971 festival and his track Dean captures everything that was great about the early 70's. It just didn't register it was him. Check it out on you tube. Also Spotify has 2 albums: Seed Of Memory and River - both brillliant. Excellent for having a bifta and chilling. Spotify also have "Superlungs" a complete studio recordings from 1964- 1969 which i confess i haven't listened to yet but it will be on today for sure

I discovered Terry Reid completely by accident. Remember those giant Peaches record stores in the mid/late 1970's? I found his Seed of Memory album in the cut-out bin with that big grinning face and a price of 25 cents! I never heard of the guy, but figured for 25 cents it would be fun to see how good or bad he was. Turns out the LP had quite a few numbers I really liked. I wasn't aware of his connection to Zep at the time and to this day can't figure out why that album (that I still have) was dumped in the cut-out bin for 25 cents. :o .......missy

Best song off the album is the title number "Seed of Memory" imo, but their are several other good ones too!

After hearing this song again for the first time in over 30 years, I'm seriously considering a buy off Amazon for the CD (where it is now 17 dollars plus!) ........ :) missy

Hey Missy

Weird how the price is different in the UK on Amazon. This is available being shipped from the US for £6.86 + a quid or so for delivery to the UK! I am currently listening to Superlungs and it's just Brilliant. I can see where Chris Robinson of the Black Crows gets his influence from ??

:D CPP

Hey Missy

Weird how the price is different in the UK on Amazon. This is available being shipped from the US for £6.86 + a quid or so for delivery to the UK! I am currently listening to Superlungs and it's just Brilliant. I can see where Chris Robinson of the Black Crows gets his influence from ??

:D CPP

That's interesting about the prices differences, maybe I should order via the UK? :D You know what else? His Seed of Memory album (the one that I got new for a quarter in the cut-out bin) is going for 49.95 new on Amazon here. Nice to see Terry getting his due. So you think Superlungs is his best output? I've only got the one record, but would definitely appreciate any suggestions for his other work. Thanks, missy.

Another good one off Seed of Memory, Faith to Arise.

I am new to him so I couldn't really offer any suggestions for his other work. You tube is where i started recently. I was blown away with his track (Dean) from the Glastonbury Fayre DVD which sums up the hippy vibe that was still going in 1971 at the time. Have a look and feel the groove which is just brilliant. I also noticed that for £5 you can download an MP3 of Seed Of Memory.

Do you not get Spotify in the US Missy ??

• 1 year later...

The Telegraph (UK) 22 September 2013

The man who turned down Led Zeppelin The history of rock music could have been very different if Terry Reid had joined Led Zeppelin, says Laura Thompson.

On Wednesday and Thursday this week, the Terry Reid Band is playing Ronnie Scott’s jazz club in Soho. How different might the history of rock music have been if, 45 years ago, Reid had accepted the offer of becoming lead singer in the New Yardbirds, later renamed Led Zeppelin?

In 1968, the then 19-year-old Reid was one of the first names approached by Jimmy Page. His sweet, shimmery voice, whose strength contains an intriguing delicacy, had made him a force to be reckoned with from the age of 16. As a vocalist and guitarist he joined a band called Peter Jay and the Jaywalkers, and was praised by Aretha Franklin, no less.

Then, at around the time of Page’s offer, he was signed by the powerful producer Mickie Most, who gave him the soubriquet of “Superlungs”. So, Terry Reid turned down Led Zeppelin, and instead suggested that Page check out a prodigious young hippie from West Bromwich, whom he described as looking “like a Greek god”. With Robert Plant came his friend John Bonham, and there you have it: rock history.

What Reid thought, thereafter, as Led Zeppelin went on to conquer worlds in the manner of Alexander the Great can only be imagined. And whether they would have conquered in quite the same way without the Greek god Plant and his sublime screams is an unanswerable question. Meanwhile Reid’s own career has been a chequered one, although he became a cult figure in America and – as is the way with such under-the-radar figures – has enjoyed something of an autumnal resurgence, playing Glastonbury in 2009 and 2011. If his voice still sounds anything like it does on his gorgeous, addictive version of Stay with Me Baby, then his Ronnie Scott’s gigs will be something special.

Edited by kenog

I really like Terry Reid though I kind of view him in the same vein as Roy Harper. I think he preferred it small and intimate, don't think he courted fame nor really wanted it. Though had he taken Page up on the offer I believe without Bonham and the Plant dynamic the band would have been good but probably remained somewhat underground. Maybe two or three albums and that's it, a minor blip on Rock music's radar. That is not an insult to Mr. Reid mind you, it's just that a perfect storm is just that, all element must be perfect and in the right place, move something around just a bit and...POOF! Just imagine the Stones without Jagger, Gun's & Roses without Axl, Pink Floyd without Roger Waters. Wait, forget that last one, we all know how that turned out.

I really like Terry Reid though I kind of view him in the same vein as Roy Harper. I think he preferred it small and intimate, don't think he courted fame nor really wanted it. Though had he taken Page up on the offer I believe without Bonham and the Plant dynamic the band would have been good but probably remained somewhat underground. Maybe two or three albums and that's it, a minor blip on Rock music's radar. That is not an insult to Mr. Reid mind you, it's just that a perfect storm is just that, all element must be perfect and in the right place, move something around just a bit and...POOF! Just imagine the Stones without Jagger, Gun's & Roses without Axl, Pink Floyd without Roger Waters. Wait, forget that last one, we all know how that turned out.

LOL David Gilmour's version was awesome!!! saw both tours in Toronto (A Momentary Lapse of Reason 1988, The Division Bell 1994), Best concerts I have ever attended.

Very well put, Sagittarius Rising .. I'm sure you're right, and it underlines the sense of fatefulness there's always been in the story of how Zep came together. Just occasionally, it seems the universe knows what it's doing and all comes out right....

I do absolutely love Terry Reid's singing .. Page always mentions his album The River, which is pretty awesome, but the one which stands out for me is the one mentioned above by others, Seed of Memory. Very powerful stuff.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, JTM said:

Just got this, well tasty.  Fuck knows why these tracks have been in the vault for so long.

Terry2.jpg

I just saw that at Amoeba and made a mental note to get it on my next shopping spree. So it's a good one, JTM?

On 5/22/2016 at 6:37 PM, Strider said:

I just saw that at Amoeba and made a mental note to get it on my next shopping spree. So it's a good one, JTM?

If you already like Terry's "River" album you're going to love this collection of material leftover from the "River" album sessions.  Eleven songs, six that have never been previously released, three alternate versions of songs from the original "River" and two alternate versions of songs that only appeared on a limited 2006 reissue.

Think of this as a "companion" piece to the "River" album, one that really does give an honest look to an alternate listen, no song is just a different mix from their original versions. Some of the material is very loose, Terry and the band looking for the right groove, lyrics that are not yet finished so just improvised to fit the spaces where the lyrics will go. The alternate version of the title track has a more Latin groove and is slower paced... This is one laid back album.....

I'm not a reviewer, I'm not really a writer, so all I can say once again if you like Terry Reid you must have this, if you are just a casual fan, still find a way to listen to this album. Fabulous musicianship and Terry Reid's amazing voice, what more can anyone want.

One small gripe for me is that there is no alternate take of the original album opener "Dean", other than that no other complaints whatsoever.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

I saw Terry Reid in Pioneertown outside of Yucca Valley and Joshua Tree in California this past weekend. The venue was Pappy & Harriet's. 

I drove down on Saturday (a 10 hour drive for me) and caught the Sunday night show. Per usual Terry was outstanding and in good form. He can still howl with the best of them, but doesn't try to look like he did in the 60's and 70's. He's growing old gracefully and was outfitted in more of a country western ensemble. 

His band was excellent, with a younger guitar player who could really play.

He played songs of all his 60's and 70's and albums, with the "Seed of Memory" and "River" stuff always bringing the house down. Great show. I highly recommend seeing Terry live.

IMG_5280.jpeg

273BB7EC-E37C-4E96-9894-402D73449C5B.jpeg