Music that hypnotizes you

Dr. Robert

Is there any song/band that allows you to, well, "Turn off you're mind, relax and float down stream", if you will?

For me, the infamous back half of "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" by the Beatles has always made me feel glazed over and sort of unaware of everything around me. That repeating guitar has a way of putting me into a zombie-like state, unless I keep my mind completely focused. I've heard it maybe 100's of times, but the end sneaks up on me 50% of the time, even with the white noise that builds and builds as a hint of when it's reached its conclusion.

Is there any song/band that allows you to, well, "Turn off you're mind, relax and float down stream", if you will?

For me, the infamous back half of "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" by the Beatles has always made me feel glazed over and sort of unaware of everything around me. That repeating guitar has a way of putting me into a zombie-like state, unless I keep my mind completely focused. I've heard it maybe 100's of times, but the end sneaks up on me 50% of the time, even with the white noise that builds and builds as a hint of when it's reached its conclusion.

Besides anything Zeppelin (my first choice of course). Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon. Headphones and off I can go into another place:-)

Besides anything Zeppelin (my first choice of course). Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon. Headphones and off I can go into another place:-)

I've always felt "Dark Side of the Moon" was one of the most fluid albums I've ever heard. It flows like water, even if you had to flip from side A to side B.

I immediately think of Floyd (in terms of rock music). I'd go for Ummagumma or Meddle for complete escape over DSOTM, though. Careful With That Ax Eugene live, Astronomy Domine, Atom Heart Mother, Echoes. I'll never forget the days when we used to drop acid and sit on a cliff in the desert or on Catalina Island and just let the Floyd completely take over. Otherwise I go for sitar, flute and tabla. A few candles, some incense, and unplug the phone!

Good question, Dr. Robert! For me it's been a mixture of rock, folk-rock and classical pieces:

• Low Spark Of High-Heeled Boys - Traffic
  • Billy The Kid Ballet Suite - Aaron Copland
  • An album by Brian Eno & H. Budd (sorry I forget the name)
  • Some pieces by Oregon, also by the Paul Winter Winter Consort

I won't describe my experience as extreme as you did, Dr. Robert... i wouldn't use the term "hypnotized", but music that definitely spaces me out a bit... relaxes, takes me away...

I agree with the Beatles "I Want You (She's So Heavy)", the solo reminds me of a ballet...

as mentioned already, Pink Floyd. I tried to watch "Live at Pompeii" so many times and always fall asleep. So "Echoes" and "Sheep" are the two songs that do it the best for me. I will add the entire "Meddle", "Dark Side of the Moon" and "Animals" albums.

Led Zeppelin I, especially "Dazed and Confused" and "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You"... various other songs: "Thank You", "The Rover", "Over the Hills and Far Away", "I'm Gonna Crawl"...

Genesis albums: a staple when i fly that i usually fall asleep to "And Then There Were Three"... also "Wind and Wuthering"... favorite single "Ripples"

Anything by Skinny Puppy, especially the album (because it's my favorite by them) "Rabies"

Nine Inch Nails "The Downward Spiral"... especially "A Warm Place"

Cocteau Twins albums "Treasure", "Four Calendar Cafe", "Blue Bell Knoll" and "Twinlights"

YES, "Close To The Edge" and the single "Starship Trooper"

King Crimson album "In The Court of the Crimson King"

other singles: Bruce Springsteen "Jungleland", Derek and the Dominoes "Layla", Guns and Roses "November Rain", Grand Funk Railroad "Closer to my Home (I'm Your Captain"), The Rolling Stones "2000 Light Years From Home"

too many others to mention.

For me:

Beatles-Revolverand The Beatles(White Album).

Led Zeppelin-"Stairway to Heaven"(especially live versions), "IMTOD", "How Many More Times", and Led Zeppelin IV.

Pink Floyd-having watched Live at Pompeii(which I highly recommend watching!), I love "Echoes", and of course, Dark Side of the Moon, especially the last 4 tracks(Us + Them, Any Colour, Brain Damage, and Eclipse), because they flow so seamlessly together. Oh, and The Wall.

Other-CCR's cover of "I Heard It Through the Grapevine"; Derek & the Dominoes' "Layla"; and Yes' "Starship Trooper" and "Roundabout".

Probably a lot more, but that's all I can think of right now. B)

:peace:,

Jo

Pink Floyd, Zeppelin - Dazed & Confused, IMTOD, White Summer Black Mountain Side..., Tea Party - Sister Awake, Sun Going Down, The Doors, Sonic Youth - Theresa's Soundworld, and I like oriental music, like Ravi Shankar and sitar...

There are lots of songs that put me in a trance. It took me some time to respond to this thread , until it happened. I was watching The Dogtown and Z Boys documenatry last night and it hit me. I was zoning out to Pink Floyd's Us and Them.

http://www.dougandkris.com/kmovie/dogtown.html

Check out the soundtrack for this documentary it has an awesome soundtrack.

Archived