Led Zeppelin III: Do What Thou Wilt

Anthony Joe

Hello all -

I am not at all a newbie to the history or music of Led Zeppelin - I know all the lyrics, all the lore, everything. But one thing that I'm rather clueless about is why my Led Zeppelin III LP says 'Do What Thou Wilt' on Side A, and 'So Mote Be It' on Side B. Can anyone give an answer to this strange puzzler? Thank you very much.

Anthony

Hello all -

I am not at all a newbie to the history or music of Led Zeppelin - I know all the lyrics, all the lore, everything. But one thing that I'm rather clueless about is why my Led Zeppelin III LP says 'Do What Thou Wilt' on Side A, and 'So Mote Be It' on Side B. Can anyone give an answer to this strange puzzler? Thank you very much.

Anthony

This was something Jimmy ordered to be inscribed in the dead wax shortly before production began.

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law, appears in Aleister Crowley's works by 1904, in The Book of the Law (though as used by Crowley it is half of a statement and response, the response being "Love is the law, love under will"). According to B.A. Robinson of the Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance, Crowley adopted this line from Francois Rabelais, who in 1534 wrote, "DO AS THOU WILT because men that are free, of gentle birth, well bred and at home in civilized company possess a natural instinct that inclines them to virtue and saves them from vice. This instinct they name their honor"

The same message appears in the run-out grove of the original American 7" pressing of 'Immigrant Song', catalog no. 45-2777 on the Atlantic label.

So mote it be is a phrase often used in rituals to close an incantation. It literally means, "So may it be".

The explanation below rules out any connection to Rabelais and instead suggests it's origins are found with Aiwass:

During an extended visit to Cairo with Rose Kelly (nee Crowley) in 1903, Crowley was fortunate enough to be able to spend a night in the Great pyramid with the specific intention of carrying out certain magical workings. There are several interesting theories about the King's chamber that we will look at another time but for now the most relevant is that according to many in the field of sacred geometry, the King's chamber is the gateway to an inter dimensional portal that uses sound (i.e. intoning an incantation) to activate the golden mean. The King's chamber is said by many to be a portal to the unity consciousness - the reality that makes all things visible and invisible throughout space, time and dimension. Essentially it is said by those versed in Sacred Geometry that it was used to initiate a person into the unity conscious, allowing connection with what many in the 'new age movement' term the Christ Consciousness. We can only speculate as to whether it was design or providence that led Crowley to conduct his night time working in that particular place but in doing so, he set in motion a chain of events that would have a far reaching effect.

One of the things he reported during this process was the fact that

he was bathed in a lilac coloured light, suggesting that whatever Crowley experienced was a highly spiritual event. Indeed his experience in the great pyramid that night seems to have provided him with an unmistakable direction that would steer his

entire path through life.

It was during the invocations that an inter dimensional being known as Aiwass made contact with Crowley. This is thought by many to be the first alien intelligence that Crowley was in contact with. It's certainly one of the most significant and best documented. Some months later, in the spring of 1904, Aiwass dictated the Law of Thelema to Crowley and through him to the rest of the world. If Aiwass was an inter dimensional being, as Crowley suggested, then that effectively means that Liber Al is not only a sacred text, but one communicated to us by an alien intelligence. This is interesting because if we accept that Aiwass was a being that is not of this world then that makes Liber Al, The Book of Law, not just an occult classic, but something that is of interest to anyone who acknowledges the reality of extraterrestrial activity.

According to Crowley, Aiwass led him to the Boulack Museum and specifically to a certain stele called Stele of Revealing (right) which was the stele of Ankh-af-na-khonsu, a Theban Egyptian priest. It was through this artefact that Aiwass dictated the sacred text to Crowley called Liber Al vel Legis or the Book of the Law thus revealing the Law of Thelema to Crowley and inaugurating the New Aeon of Horus.

From this text originated the phrase

'do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law, love is the law, love under will'.

The meaning of this axiom, while obscure to the masses, is clear to occultists; that we must align ourselves with our true will, the will of the higher self in order to make the necessary steps to elevate the human soul both in its spiritual aspirations as well in its physical limitations. Crowley seems to have realised that the intentional cultivation of contact with inter dimensional beings was a mechanism to achieve this. His work centred on furthering his own evolution and also that of humanity as a whole, as the age of Horus (the son of Isis) was ushered in by Aiwass.

The phrase also reminds us that the means for achieving this is via the feminine current of love and devotion - the Isis current. Isis, in mythology, embodies both love and willpower throughout mythology. The phrase highlights the inseparability of focused intent and wisdom in order to realise our true calling. An inscription in her temple at Sais begins:

"I am that which is, which hath been, and which shall be"

This was something Jimmy ordered to be inscribed in the dead wax shortly before production began.

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law, appears in Aleister Crowley's works by 1904, in The Book of the Law (though as used by Crowley it is half of a statement and response, the response being "Love is the law, love under will"). According to B.A. Robinson of the Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance, Crowley adopted this line from Francois Rabelais, who in 1534 wrote, "DO AS THOU WILT because men that are free, of gentle birth, well bred and at home in civilized company possess a natural instinct that inclines them to virtue and saves them from vice. This instinct they name their honor"

The same message appears in the run-out grove of the original American 7" pressing of 'Immigrant Song', catalog no. 45-2777 on the Atlantic label.

So mote it be is a phrase often used in rituals to close an incantation. It literally means, "So may it be".

The explanation below rules out any connection to Rabelais and instead suggests it's origins are found with Aiwass:

During an extended visit to Cairo with Rose Kelly (nee Crowley) in 1903, Crowley was fortunate enough to be able to spend a night in the Great pyramid with the specific intention of carrying out certain magical workings. There are several interesting theories about the King's chamber that we will look at another time but for now the most relevant is that according to many in the field of sacred geometry, the King's chamber is the gateway to an inter dimensional portal that uses sound (i.e. intoning an incantation) to activate the golden mean. The King's chamber is said by many to be a portal to the unity consciousness - the reality that makes all things visible and invisible throughout space, time and dimension. Essentially it is said by those versed in Sacred Geometry that it was used to initiate a person into the unity conscious, allowing connection with what many in the 'new age movement' term the Christ Consciousness. We can only speculate as to whether it was design or providence that led Crowley to conduct his night time working in that particular place but in doing so, he set in motion a chain of events that would have a far reaching effect.

he was bathed in a lilac coloured light, suggesting that whatever Crowley experienced was a highly spiritual event. Indeed his experience in the great pyramid that night seems to have provided him with an unmistakable direction that would steer his

It was during the invocations that an inter dimensional being known as Aiwass made contact with Crowley. This is thought by many to be the first alien intelligence that Crowley was in contact with. It's certainly one of the most significant and best documented. Some months later, in the spring of 1904, Aiwass dictated the Law of Thelema to Crowley and through him to the rest of the world. If Aiwass was an inter dimensional being, as Crowley suggested, then that effectively means that Liber Al is not only a sacred text, but one communicated to us by an alien intelligence. This is interesting because if we accept that Aiwass was a being that is not of this world then that makes Liber Al, The Book of Law, not just an occult classic, but something that is of interest to anyone who acknowledges the reality of extraterrestrial activity.

According to Crowley, Aiwass led him to the Boulack Museum and specifically to a certain stele called Stele of Revealing (right) which was the stele of Ankh-af-na-khonsu, a Theban Egyptian priest. It was through this artefact that Aiwass dictated the sacred text to Crowley called Liber Al vel Legis or the Book of the Law thus revealing the Law of Thelema to Crowley and inaugurating the New Aeon of Horus.

'do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law, love is the law, love under will'.

The meaning of this axiom, while obscure to the masses, is clear to occultists; that we must align ourselves with our true will, the will of the higher self in order to make the necessary steps to elevate the human soul both in its spiritual aspirations as well in its physical limitations. Crowley seems to have realised that the intentional cultivation of contact with inter dimensional beings was a mechanism to achieve this. His work centred on furthering his own evolution and also that of humanity as a whole, as the age of Horus (the son of Isis) was ushered in by Aiwass.

The phrase also reminds us that the means for achieving this is via the feminine current of love and devotion - the Isis current. Isis, in mythology, embodies both love and willpower throughout mythology. The phrase highlights the inseparability of focused intent and wisdom in order to realise our true calling. An inscription in her temple at Sais begins:

And this is why i love steve...

What's the source of that explanation, Steve?

Here's a good source on Crowley:

Tim Maroney site

It's a compilation of explanations. For many Crowley is a compelling but often misunderstood figure. Most hidden knowledge doesn't present itself anyway. You have to be a seeker. The link you've provided is a good source.

It's a compilation of explanations. For many Crowley is a compelling but often misunderstood figure. Most hidden knowledge doesn't present itself anyway. You have to be a seeker.

very interesting explanation...there are indeed many ways to gain insight into Spiritual World of Crowley.......

William S Burroughs, "Portrait of Aleister Crowley," 1988, is reproduced in an article on New City Art website (Chicago).

Picture-3.png

Burroughs’ “Portrait of Aleister Crowley,” a painting on paper from 1988, is now on view at Th!nkArt Salon, in Wicker Park, along with a dozen or so of his other works. Burroughs’ palette tends toward the visceral tones: dried-blood crimson, shocks of red, vomitus green. The acrylic paint was applied energetically with a painter’s knife, sometimes accumulating into a crusty mass and sometimes taking on an ethereal air behind swaths of frenzied spray paint. No human face emerges from the portrait of Crowley, but a portal to some grim ghost-land sits front and center.

very interesting explanation...there are indeed many ways to gain insight into Spiritual World of Crowley.......

William S Burroughs, "Portrait of Aleister Crowley," 1988, is reproduced in an article on New City Art website (Chicago).

Picture-3.png

Burroughs’ “Portrait of Aleister Crowley,” a painting on paper from 1988, is now on view at Th!nkArt Salon, in Wicker Park, along with a dozen or so of his other works. Burroughs’ palette tends toward the visceral tones: dried-blood crimson, shocks of red, vomitus green. The acrylic paint was applied energetically with a painter’s knife, sometimes accumulating into a crusty mass and sometimes taking on an ethereal air behind swaths of frenzied spray paint. No human face emerges from the portrait of Crowley, but a portal to some grim ghost-land sits front and center.

don't like it, at all.

looks like william burroughs, really.

hmmm i got this same exact passage sent to me on facebook today by the JPP fan club ....

Hello all -

Anthony

you can find it also on the run off of the Immigrant US single (45-2777)

One of the most important angles of this event is that none of the other members of Led Zeppelin were aware of the either message being placed on Zeppelin III. Not only did Jimmy not inform the others, he didn't feel it was even necessary.

A lot of what I post here gets cut and pasted elsewhere, or put in books.

:rolleyes:

One of the most important angles of this event is that none of the other members of Led Zeppelin were aware of either message being placed on Zeppelin III. Not only did Jimmy not inform the others, he didn't feel it was even necessary.

He might or might not have, but as the producer it was entirely his decision.

What's the source of that explanation, Steve?

Here's a good source on Crowley:

Tim Maroney site

Put it this way bud...theres the up the but type of love and the love you send via the "cortex".

i sent the one via cortex...just to clear the waves for ya lol

good luck with your Crowley observation...i really do mean it

Put it this way bud...theres the up the but type of love and the love you send via the "cortex".

i sent the one via cortex...just to clear the waves for ya lol

good luck with your Crowley observation...i really do mean it

Keep it in your pants big boy. Steve's no more connected to the band than you are... :rolleyes:

Archived